Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The Rev posted:

Huh, I didn't know you could buy booze w/o a membership, or perhaps it's only certain states (this store in in NJ, but I live in PA). Do you think the extra warranty and Hulu credit apply to instore purchases (if they actually had TV's in stock)? That's really what seems to be making this deal a ton better than other locations.

The alcohol rule will differ by state (states with strict rules often require the alcohol to be sold by a legally separate entity), but you can always go in any Costco for the pharmacy. Of course you can't check out with anything without a membership...

PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Hisense H6510G

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Trip report on the Vizio M65Q7-H1

Pretty decent! SmartCast seems like an alright software, albeit missing a couple apps easily mitigated by casting. The streaming channels are neat, good for when the family can't decide what to watch. The picture is certainly good enough for me, although I'll miss the blacks of my plasma but for $600 who can complain?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it you had to flip a coin between the 75" Hisense H65 or the 75" TCL 4 Series Roku, which would you go with?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rhyno posted:

So it you had to flip a coin between the 75" Hisense H65 or the 75" TCL 4 Series Roku, which would you go with?

I like roku software better so probably that

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I have been researching these two side by side and my verdict is Hisense by a hair, mostly because it gets about 10% brighter or so. Roku software is probably a bit nicer to use, but you can install a lot more on android since it's android. Irrelevant to me since I just use my Roku Ultra

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought a Hisense 75H6510G. It was open box and I paid $570 before tax.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a Sony Bravia I got last Christmas and in the last couple weeks it’s decided to connect to the echo dot randomly and change the input by itself. I bought a Sony tv to go along with my sony receiver thinking they’d play nicely together and I dunno if I should be dissapointed in the brand or if there’s some setting I should be setting differently.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

I need some TV advice: were looking to replace our old tv ( a 32" panel from 2007ish), and we saved more on black friday sales than we expected so we've got ~$400-$450 budget shipped and it needs to fit on top of a sideways ikea kallax shelf.

Is there anything worth buying in that price range? Or should we just save our money and buy a nicer TV later?

You can also get a different stand for $30-50 that uses the back mounting holes instead of putting the feet all the way at the edges. That is, if you can get a bigger tv but the feet wouldn't fit, you can just get a different way of putting it onto a Kallax.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a LG CX 77. I've read a lot of positive stories about the geeksquad warranty in the US. The cost is no joke, $750 for 5 years. In this threads opinion, does that really secure my TV for the next 5 years unless a) best buy goes under or b) I want to upgrade? $4,500 over 5 years is a much more palatable way to look at it.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I bought a TCL 65" 8 Series tv from Best Buy at the beginning of November. Hilarity ensues.
Turns out they didn't actually have it in stock, but the website ran the purchase anyway.
After 4 no-show deliveries, they finally figured out there's no stock anywhere in my half of the country, and the delivery is on hold until they get a fresh shipment from (presumably) TCL themselves.
The TV is a Best Buy exclusive, I got it on a decent sale price of $1299 and it's the 2020 version released in August.
They *should* be making more of these right? Or am I just going to be waiting forever for a TV that isn't coming. Best Buy's customer service has no clue at all, and I can't find any info online.
Just trying to decide if it's worth waiting for the TV I've already gotten emotionally invested in, or cancel and get a different one.
What would be an equivalent to that anyhow? Without the ability to go "shop around" and actually see the TV in person before buying I'm feeling way out of my depth.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

manwithoutskin posted:

I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a LG CX 77. I've read a lot of positive stories about the geeksquad warranty in the US. The cost is no joke, $750 for 5 years. In this threads opinion, does that really secure my TV for the next 5 years unless a) best buy goes under or b) I want to upgrade? $4,500 over 5 years is a much more palatable way to look at it.

Do you have access to Costco? They have 3 years of warranty included in the $3449.99 price.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just as a minor warning, I dunno what BB's extended warranty is like, but I worked for Radio Shack for like 5 years and there was a period of a few months where the official wording for the extended warranty ping-ponged between "you can literally stomp on your brand-new iPhone in front of us and we will replace it on the spot" to "you have to file a detailed report on what happened and there's about a dozen bullshit reasons we can reject your claim outright," sometimes within the same month.

OTOH one of my idiot friends left a brand-new TV out in the rain and Costco didn't even open the box to inspect it when he returned it, so YMMV :haw:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Best Buy's extended warranty is the only one I know of that specifically has burn-in coverage. Well there's Upsie (and is much cheaper) but there's not many reviews on them so who knows how reliable they are or if they will even exist in 5 years.

LG's own warranty doesn't cover burn-in, but I've read that they'll still do a courtesy panel replacement. YMMV on that though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My A8H just did its first firmware upgrade...maybe this one will introduce the HDMI 2.1 support people are clamoring for, although I have no way of testing that.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
My parents are looking for a decent 55 - 65 inch TV for under $700. For whatever reason they visibly recoil at brands like TCL or HiSense. What's good in this pricerange?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hutzpah posted:

My parents are looking for a decent 55 - 65 inch TV for under $700. For whatever reason they visibly recoil at brands like TCL or HiSense. What's good in this pricerange?

TCL. Tell them it's a highly recommended brand now. If they want a name brand, poo poo tier Samsung.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aren't 99% of the actual displays themselves manufactured in the same 2-3 facilities for almost all the TV brands anyway?

e: I know other people who are laughably anti-Chinese brands like this and I don't have the heart to tell them the obvious fact that most of this poo poo comes from China regardless of brand

e2: apparently Samsung is unique in that they are shutting down their Chinese TV production entirely by the end of this year, but I also found an older article that says that apparently TCL is a contract manufacturer for Samsung anyway???

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 1, 2020

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, Chinese precursor tech manufacturers are starting to learn they can make and market their own poo poo. It's been happening in the lower level space (think boards and components) for a while now. Only a matter of time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hutzpah posted:

Lol TCL and Hisense are the best tvs in that size/budget.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

A Bag of Milk posted:

Hisense H6510G

Adding a little trip report on this. This TV cost 10% of what the TV it was replacing was ($250 on Saturday, vs $2300 for the 900A in 2013), and with what I'm watching and using it for, it seems better in every way.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Thanks for confirming what I thought. They are going to look at the 55 Hisense H8G.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hutzpah posted:

Thanks for confirming what I thought. They are going to look at the 55 Hisense H8G.

is good tv. will be pleased.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

LorneReams posted:

Adding a little trip report on this. This TV cost 10% of what the TV it was replacing was ($250 on Saturday, vs $2300 for the 900A in 2013), and with what I'm watching and using it for, it seems better in every way.

I also somehow managed to snag the H6510G on the same sale. I had 1 pickup location go from in stock to out of stock for pickup while I was checking out. Rather than play whack a mole with diminishing stock, I opted to have it shipped. From my end, it seems like the deal was available for a little over 90 seconds.

All that to say, I am awaiting my delivery in a few days. The widespread positive feedback really has my hopes up. But there's really nothing to fear, since it is replacing a Toshiba 50L2200U.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Aren't 99% of the actual displays themselves manufactured in the same 2-3 facilities for almost all the TV brands anyway?
Yeah, the reason Hisense and TCL are getting so much attention is because they are taking the panels they make for name brands and putting them in their own TVs, and since they don't have heavy marketing, they own the manufacturing themselves, and they don't have brand recognition, they are both made cheaper and are sold at much smaller profit margins. Quality control has also been improving as well.

As a result, shoppers on a budget who are afraid of cheap Chinese crap are ironically rejecting decent sets for cheap Chinese crap. (Name brands selling budget quality at crazy markups).

kuddles fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 2, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

I also somehow managed to snag the H6510G on the same sale. I had 1 pickup location go from in stock to out of stock for pickup while I was checking out. Rather than play whack a mole with diminishing stock, I opted to have it shipped. From my end, it seems like the deal was available for a little over 90 seconds.

All that to say, I am awaiting my delivery in a few days. The widespread positive feedback really has my hopes up. But there's really nothing to fear, since it is replacing a Toshiba 50L2200U.

It's back up to $500 on Best Buy's website :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

kuddles posted:

As a result, shoppers on a budget who are afraid of cheap Chinese crap are ironically rejecting decent sets for cheap Chinese crap. (Name brands selling budget quality at crazy markups).

The American Dream

GreenNight posted:

TCL. Tell them it's a highly recommended brand now. If they want a name brand, poo poo tier Samsung.

Dont just make sure they get a Samsung, make sure its some QLED horse poo poo

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Moving from a 720p LCD that wouldn’t die to the LG CX is so vivid in 4K it’s kind of hurting my eyes. This is a stupid question and the I’m sure the real answer is “get used to it”, but I read there’s an actual setting for this and can’t find it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
edit: nm

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fly Ricky posted:

Moving from a 720p LCD that wouldn’t die to the LG CX is so vivid in 4K it’s kind of hurting my eyes. This is a stupid question and the I’m sure the real answer is “get used to it”, but I read there’s an actual setting for this and can’t find it.
Use a calibration guide if you haven’t. Text, YouTube, etc. Apply to all input channels.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

you get used to it.

if anything you could turn down the OLED LIGHT or whatever the brightness is called. I say this cause i definitely had a few weeks of "oh god maybe this tv was a bad idea" but now I can't possibly fathom going back

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
The default settings on most TVs is with brightness and usually color saturation completely out of whack so that if it's put on display in a warehouse under florescent lights next to every other TV it looks impressive. It's usually the case you have to turn those settings down, especially if you are in a darker room.

That said, bias lighting can also help, and there are some really cheap and restrained options available.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If you use Expert (Dark Room) the CX is already reasonably well calibrated out of the box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

If you use Expert (Dark Room) the CX is already reasonably well calibrated out of the box.

This.

Most of the new high end TVs have a reasonably well factory calibrated mode and reviews will usually call that out.

Don't mess with white balance settings unless you have a meter and calibration software. Don't blindly input someone else's white balance settings that they posted online. Every panel has manufacturing variances and no two person's white balance settings will achieve the same output so you are better off using the factory calibrated setting.

Brightness, contrast, color, and saturation all all things that can be adjusted without specialized equipment (aside from filters for color/saturation), but white balance cannot be adjusted by eye. You need a color meter.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

not sure how valid or useful this still is but I used this website to calibrate my computer monitors and 55" plasma and it was extremely helpful http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

e: it's also how I learned that F.lux was badly loving up a variety of settings whenever it changed the screen temperature at night. I can understand why it would gently caress with gamma and brightness, but sharpness? :confused:

Weirdly enough the built-in Night Time mode or whatever that Windows 10 has doesn't seem to have that issue.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 2, 2020

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

you get used to it.

if anything you could turn down the OLED LIGHT or whatever the brightness is called. I say this cause i definitely had a few weeks of "oh god maybe this tv was a bad idea" but now I can't possibly fathom going back

I was watching Masked Singer the other day and the intro made me real dizzy and flashing lights were loving with me even though I've never had a problem with that sort of thing

The show itself was fine, but definitely had a moment of 'oh gently caress I bought too big a tv' during that intro, it was intense

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for the advice. I’ll switch to Dark Room and give it a little time to grow on me. If it doesn’t I’ll look into actual calibration.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Bought the Vizio OLED55-H1 for $900 when it was on sale this past week.

Set it up tonight and no sound. loving hell. Tried everything, power cycle, factory reset, etc. Nothing, don't have any sound systems attached to it. Time to contact support.

e: they said they will replace it

Geno fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 3, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/1334565615902679041

Me and my CX 77" approve of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
HBO going to make me buy a new device just to watch a probably-lovely Matrix 4