Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I looked up alternative Docker frontends and Portainer is available on Asustor. It's definitely one of those Open Source frontends where you have to know it to use it, but a bit googling and I figured where the container -> host mapping was hidden away. Just ran a test nzb and it all seems to be squared away fine :cool:

Man what the gently caress I updated a bunch of the apps on my NAS, Sonarr & Radarr worked fine, SABNZBD the new docker container just forgot all my custom paths and I woke up to a bunch of angry red FAILs in my SAB log. Good job I made a nice .txt file with all the working settings in when I set it up first, eh.

Moral: NEVER UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nomnom Cookie posted:

updates are the mechanism whereby a vendor converts bugs not affecting you into bugs affecting you and backwards incompatible changes, generating hours for the enterprise services unit

just thinking about this post from last year lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol new mobo etc and silly thing doesn’t want to boot off any of my drives. bios can see the drives but says can’t find any bootable drives

I have a mac book pro.. looking at trying to download windows 10 and then make a bootable usb with windows on it and see if that can do a repair or something.

i’ll also google for a usb tool that can make a drive a windows booting drive or something

maybe this is that thing infernal machines was talking about

what a pain in the rear end lol

spose could always swap mobo back, get windows running again and then.. idk really.

tbh i’m not sure how to retrieve my windows license or whatever so that I could reinstall anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thank gently caress found some compatibility mode in bios that’s for legacy boot things. wowo pain in the rear end saved

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
i have a computer problem

i RDPed into a computer, forgot i was in the remote computer, and disconnected it from the VPN

the computer is 300 miles away

the computer problem is me

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sudo ufw default deny
sudo ufw deny 23
sudo ufw deny http
sudo ufw start
s...hit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

lol new mobo etc and silly thing doesn’t want to boot off any of my drives. bios can see the drives but says can’t find any bootable drives

I have a mac book pro.. looking at trying to download windows 10 and then make a bootable usb with windows on it and see if that can do a repair or something.

i’ll also google for a usb tool that can make a drive a windows booting drive or something

maybe this is that thing infernal machines was talking about

what a pain in the rear end lol

spose could always swap mobo back, get windows running again and then.. idk really.

tbh i’m not sure how to retrieve my windows license or whatever so that I could reinstall anyway

hi glad you sorted it but i had the same issue, the fix for me was burning the image to a stick in UEFI mode instaed of the old rear end MBR poo poo. detected right away. took me hours to figure it out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do some benches and make sure everything's running right. i get 5000 MB/s on my pcie 4.0 drive, if you have a 3.0 it should do about 3000-3500 MB/s. if it's way lower your machine is in hosed up legacy mode and it wont run right till you reinstall the right way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm ok thanks I was just gonna leave as is but prob worth doing what you mentioned

lost my windows license tho. ages ago I bought a cheap w7 oem license which upgraded to 10 but turns out you can’t transfer it :qq:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's a guy in sa-mart who sells windows licenses for like 10 bucks and he's incredibly fast about it. i think i got my key from him before the paypal receipt showed up in my email

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the hot tip friend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
stop freakin out about the windows license:

* the only thing you cant do with an unregistered win10 is change your desktop bg through the control panel, but you can right click any image and "Set as Desktop" and it works. it will run literally forever, i have win10 boxes with 2 year old installs working fine
* google 'hwidgen windows 10'

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

flakeloaf posted:

sudo ufw default deny
sudo ufw deny 23
sudo ufw deny http
sudo ufw start
s...hit

lol I locked myself out of a cheap switch at home by turning off all the interfaces too. i had that same 'oh wait, poo poo' moment right as I turned off the web interface and realized I'd also turned off ssh overzealously while scoffing at telnet being an option

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jonny 290 posted:

do some benches

take it to the yosfit thread

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

does anyone have a recommendation for an external drive?

my 2tb external on my mba 2012 just ate its time machine volume and that seems like a sign. other partitions are fine (could very well be tm being very tm with the hfs req and all) but I know better after decades of drives

this system is only for plex and some old software/backups, so speed isnt a factor. I've been kicking a nas setup down the road for ages, but its not in the cards right now

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

does anyone have a recommendation for an external drive?

my 2tb external on my mba 2012 just ate its time machine volume and that seems like a sign. other partitions are fine (could very well be tm being very tm with the hfs req and all) but I know better after decades of drives

this system is only for plex and some old software/backups, so speed isnt a factor. I've been kicking a nas setup down the road for ages, but its not in the cards right now
Any wd 8TB or bigger to ensure you get the “good” ones, SMR(?) and red/red equivalent whitelabel. They’re frequently on sale at best buy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Laslow posted:

Any wd 8TB or bigger to ensure you get the “good” ones, SMR(?) and red/red equivalent whitelabel. They’re frequently on sale at best buy

SMR, shingled magnetic recording, are the slower hard drives. but that's not a big deal for Agile Vector's use case of a single standalone external drive for backups. people are most concerned with that when they're looking to throw multiple drives into an array.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i heard shingles sucks

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
its not that bad really. maybe it hurts worse when ur really old and get it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

get a NAS you cowards

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pile Of Garbage posted:

get a NAS you cowards

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I'd like to use Ubuntu 20 on a spare old laptop to record a webstream, M-F, in the morning. I found tutorials for how to do this and I think it'll be easy. However, I can't find a graphical interface for cron. Gnome Task Scheduler and KCron aren't supported anymore and I'd like to use Ubuntu 20 if I can. Any suggestions? I know I could learn to edit cron by hand but I'd rather not.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Just use https://crontab.guru/ or something, I use cron and have no idea what the syntax is. Also systemd has timers.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Perplx posted:

Just use https://crontab.guru/ or something, I use cron and have no idea what the syntax is. Also systemd has timers.

same, also i use the same site because it's usually the top result when i google "cron expression"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jonny 290 posted:

do some benches and make sure everything's running right. i get 5000 MB/s on my pcie 4.0 drive, if you have a 3.0 it should do about 3000-3500 MB/s. if it's way lower your machine is in hosed up legacy mode and it wont run right till you reinstall the right way

just FYI pretty much any nvme can hit those read speeds consistently but the cheaper qlc flash drives are a hybrid design with a finite fast mlc write cache, once that is exhausted write speeds will fall to like 200MB/s

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Perplx posted:

I use cron pretty regularly and crontab.guru is amazing because I can’t remember poo poo on account of old age and donkey brains

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

isn’t cron some old dogshit now and systemd timers are the thing

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

isn’t cron some old dogshit now and systemd timers are the thing

idk about that but those chucklefucks at amazon normalised cron expressions as the scheduling syntax for all their poo poo except none of conforms with usual cron syntax and specific services have different syntax.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Laslow posted:

perfect, thanks! thatll tide it over nicely

Pile Of Garbage posted:

get a NAS you cowards

its on the list but ive no idea where to start and dont have the side energy to dig through the options right bow

is there a build guide site thatd youd recommend or somewhere does comprehensive reviews? the shsc thread is comically long with an 8 year out of date op (it was my first stop before asking here)

Pile Of Garbage posted:

idk about that but those chucklefucks at amazon normalised cron expressions as the scheduling syntax for all their poo poo except none of conforms with usual cron syntax and specific services have different syntax.

yikes wtf amazon

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

perfect, thanks! thatll tide it over nicely

its on the list but ive no idea where to start and dont have the side energy to dig through the options right bow

is there a build guide site thatd youd recommend or somewhere does comprehensive reviews? the shsc thread is comically long with an 8 year out of date op (it was my first stop before asking here)

yikes wtf amazon

just buy a synology. it's not the cheapest option but it is the least-loving-around-est option.

if you insist on DIY the main heavy-hitters are Unraid and FreeNAS. Or I guess just install your favorite linux distro and do EVERYTHING on your own if you feel like punching yourself in the balls.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SO DEMANDING posted:

just buy a synology

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i heard shingles sucks

it sucked real bad

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

my stepdads beer posted:

it sucked real bad

a family member got it they were in total pain for around 12 straight months

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

that's horrifying. mine lasted two weeks and was excruciating. can't imagine how I would deal with 12 months.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
they were also eating who knows how many horsepills of gabapentin a day

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well I have a strange problem, my computer won't boot off my C: drive unless I also have a specific other drive plugged in? I had installed Fedora (mlday) on the other drive so it must have done something fucky with the UEFI. I can't be hosed to fix it but if anyone has any ideas pls shoot

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

your bootloader is on the other drive??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my stepdads beer posted:

your bootloader is on the other drive??

its this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008