Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Epi Lepi posted:

I ain’t watching Clone Wars when I have so much other media to consume, can someone explain why Ahsoka leaves the Jedi and how she survives the Jedi Purge?

Goes kinda like this:

Ahsoka gets framed for a terrorist attack against the Jedi temple, and the Jedi Council detains her and initially seems unwilling to believe her protests that she's innocent. She escapes, the real terrorist is exposed (another Jedi that she was close friends with, who had come to view the Jedi Order as degenerating into mere lackeys for an increasingly fascist government) and the Jedi Council apologizes and offers to raise her to full Jedi Knighthood then and there. Ahsoka turns it down due to her disappointment with the Jedi Council's behavior, and by extension the order as an institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, but as Kaedric said, later in that episode, he takes about 50 direct shots with zero issues. That scene really made it seem like he was about to make some big sacrifice, or take some big risk, but instead he just tanked 50 direct blaster shots with no injuries to show for it. It made it seem like, when it comes to regular blaster fire, he's straight up immune thanks to his armor. I could have used a scene where he's, I don't know, applying some bacta gel or something to show he took some damage. It was like he put a god mode cheat code in for that one scene. Which lead me to wonder what Johnny Ringo could have possibly done with his holdout blaster in the most recent episode.

It's not a huge issue, and yeah, the Quarren had him in a tough spot when they trapped him in the water. But the show has clearly shown that regular blaster fire will do nothing against his armor. The episode The Heiress laid that out there.

It's an accuracy thing. The Beskar doesn't cover everything. A well aimed shot to one of the joints or maybe the throat would cripple him. It's just that the "only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise" can't do better than hit the big shiny breastplate.

Epi Lepi posted:

I ain’t watching Clone Wars when I have so much other media to consume, can someone explain why Ahsoka leaves the Jedi and how she survives the Jedi Purge?

Ahsoka was framed by another Padawan for bombing the Jedi Temple. No one but Anakin believed that she didn't do it and she had to go on the run to prove her innocence. When she did the Jedi were like "Oh, sorry. You wanna be a Knight now?" In response she told them to gently caress off and quit the order.

When the Purge happened she survived by faking her own death.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Admiral Thrawn sounds like he would be a great lover of the Bajoran people

Yet there's not a single statue of him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thrawn is like Dukat without the insatiable need to bone every women in sight.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels there's a theme in that different types of droids move in different ways. Some are made to emulate humanoid movements, some are made to move in ways more optimised for droids.

:same:
The Ayo-droid was a protocol unit which in Star Wars have been established to basically be like human surrogates, so they have humanoid movements (even if they're not all the way there like Threepio). IGs are just made for straight-up killin' and it was pretty scary and :rock: to see 11 in action.

Alchenar posted:

With regards to lightsabers I've always assumed that on making contact with something a lightsaber is capable of making contact with, it locks into place. No sliding down the blade to chop off the fingers.

I always figured this was one of those things where they purposely don't/can't establish it one way or the other because afterwards there's no going back.

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, but as Kaedric said, later in that episode, he takes about 50 direct shots with zero issues. That scene really made it seem like he was about to make some big sacrifice, or take some big risk, but instead he just tanked 50 direct blaster shots with no injuries to show for it. It made it seem like, when it comes to regular blaster fire, he's straight up immune thanks to his armor. I could have used a scene where he's, I don't know, applying some bacta gel or something to show he took some damage. It was like he put a god mode cheat code in for that one scene. Which lead me to wonder what Johnny Ringo could have possibly done with his holdout blaster in the most recent episode.

It's not a huge issue, and yeah, the Quarren had him in a tough spot when they trapped him in the water. But the show has clearly shown that regular blaster fire will do nothing against his armor. The episode The Heiress laid that out there.

I read the scene in the Gozanti freighter as him making a deliberate strategic decision to charge headfirst at the baddies to present a smaller target as well as so everything vulnerable to the direction of fire (head, shoulders, torso) would be fully covered with Beskar.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well not everyone is perfect

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

He’s also mildly less of a sloppy drama queen than Dukat. When Dukat loses a strategically crucial location to an enemy he never thought had a chance of winning it broke his brain to the point where he had to be dragged away from his post on the verge of tears. When that happened to Thrawn he just went “Yep...”

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

He still has to hope his plot armour protects him just as much as his actual armour since it doesn't fully cover him. I think it would have worked better to show one of those 50 blaster shots getting him in the upper shoulder or something while he was turtling.

But what you're describing seems like general hero healing factor that he has in the show. He should be nursing more injuries and worrying more about fatigue but hey, it's a weekly series so he's gotta be back in action every episode. Then again, Daredevil was hilarious for doing the opposite of this where they showed him being destroyed almost every episode and yet getting a good night's sleep and being ready for more.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm fine with the peril. It's a fine line because you know they aren't going to kill off titular main character but they create a sense of peril and reasonably give our hero a helping hand when he couldn't reasonably defeat the peril by himself. He also suffers to gain victory (see the last season finale) so it's not like victory is effortless for him.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

Zahn's original books never really go into Thrawn's motivations. He wants to bring the Empire back. Himself presumably as new Emperor. Why specifically he wants power is never addressed, he just prefers an orderly imperial universe to one where democracy is a thing.

He's an analogue to the Prussian military elite who enabled Hitler because they might not have been on board with Nazi ideology but they liked the overall vision of a Strong Germany.

Considering the disaster the new republic became, thrawn was right

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

He’s also mildly less of a sloppy drama queen than Dukat. When Dukat loses a strategically crucial location to an enemy he never thought had a chance of winning it broke his brain to the point where he had to be dragged away from his post on the verge of tears. When that happened to Thrawn he just went “Yep...”
I can't see Thrawn becoming a cult leader. If Palpatine wanted to make him his Sith apprentice, he'd see it as a punishment and a demotion.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

thrawn527 posted:

Which lead me to wonder what Johnny Ringo could have possibly done with his holdout blaster in the most recent episode.

one thing star wars has taught me is that pistols are vastly more powerful than repeating rifles. the older and more bootleg, the more powerful. i think them like the back of the van shower heads from that seinfeld episode

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i had also forgotten all about robo-spider leg darth maul lol which was, uh, pretty interesting.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Epi Lepi posted:

I ain’t watching Clone Wars

How else would you know all droid armies and jedi are nothing compared to the real threat to the galaxy - Jar Jar Binks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Pyromancer posted:

How else would you know all droid armies and jedi are nothing compared to the real threat to the galaxy - Jar Jar Binks

those blue ball things they shoot are no joke apparently O_O

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
One of the things I loved about TPM was Qui-Gonn's face being utterly placid while he fights. For an order that's supposed to avoid anger and rage and aggression, Jedi always snarl and shout and look really angry while they fight.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda get now why every channel ever eventually becomes a Star Wars channel.

quote:

Congrats, elentorlp!
You passed 100 subscribers

Alright, sure, I'll take it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Don't forget, if you're looking for the concept art, Mando Mondays means Mando Download which means concept art

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You can "Inspect" the images to get a higher resolution - that's 1024x427, whereas this is 1920x800

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

Don't forget, if you're looking for the concept art, Mando Mondays means Mando Download which means concept art

They're higher resolution/quality (usually ~4K) on Twitter :eng101:

https://twitter.com/themandalorian/status/1333848378250129408

[edit] Oh wait, the only posted 3 of the images on twitter in ~4K. BOOOO.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 1, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

holy poo poo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lobok posted:

He still has to hope his plot armour protects him just as much as his actual armour since it doesn't fully cover him. I think it would have worked better to show one of those 50 blaster shots getting him in the upper shoulder or something while he was turtling.

But what you're describing seems like general hero healing factor that he has in the show. He should be nursing more injuries and worrying more about fatigue but hey, it's a weekly series so he's gotta be back in action every episode. Then again, Daredevil was hilarious for doing the opposite of this where they showed him being destroyed almost every episode and yet getting a good night's sleep and being ready for more.

Daredevil seasons took place over the course of 6-9 months. A season might start in spring or summer and the end of the season there would be snow on the ground. They didn't draw a lot of attention to it, but things like political campaigns and injuries actually happened in something approaching real time.

apologies for the double post.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Here are the 4K images from Twitter to use as background wallpapers

I wanted the ones of Ahsoka in the dojo and her in her Gandalf the White outfit in 4K :(

The above are pretty good too though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A.o.D. posted:

holy poo poo

I have become poisoned by the internet and half expected that fade to black to end in Skyrim...

What movie(?) is that spliced with? It feels familiar.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I have become poisoned by the internet and half expected that fade to black to end in Skyrim...

Three Amigos

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Three Amigos. It's a fun time, and I highly recommend it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid. I definitely should!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The plethora of piñatas is still classic

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azhais posted:

The plethora of piñatas is still classic

Infamous, even.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yoda’s inverted sentence structure frequency is really overblown anyway. I’m willing to bet that a majority of his ESB, ROTJ, and TLJ lines are in somewhat normal structure.

boy AOTC's "AROUND THE SURVIVORS A PERIMETER CREATE :downs:" lands with a thud don't it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

boy AOTC's "AROUND THE SURVIVORS A PERIMETER CREATE :downs:" lands with a thud don't it

His manner of speech in the prequels in general is so bad and flanderized and I really wonder if it was a George decision or Frank Oz just not giving a poo poo.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Infamous, even.

stop

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Are gringos falling from the sky?

(Crashlands space ship onto the dock, then falls into the water)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

GORDON posted:

Are gringos falling from the sky?

(Crashlands space ship onto the dock, then falls into the water)

That stunt looks so loving painful. I watched this the other day and had to rewind it because I couldn't believe it.

e: actually now that I watch the clip sober it looks like a dummy but I was convinced it was a real dude.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGS0JouUgjM

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has anyone tried stun settings on Beskar? Those weird circle things, might not even be affected by armor.

Or ionic weapons like your would use on a droid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

wonder what grogu's first words will be (had to google the name, already forgot the exact letters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcdycK4-Or4&t=66s