Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, when I say these are poo poo foils, I have bought collectors boxes of every prior set that had them, and NONE of them did it like these do. I have a bunch of ikoria and eldraine foils out of sleeves that are still almost entirely flat, but these practically could be seen curling in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I swear if WotC gives me hosed up foils thirteen or fourteen more times, I'm out of here.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1333449200093237250

includes a survey question about which foil treatment you prefer if you want to tell them explicitly you like the foil etched ones because they don't curl

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

I swear if WotC gives me hosed up foils thirteen or fourteen more times, I'm out of here.

lmao

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fadam posted:

I'm saying that the previous foils haven't really bothered me, none of them have significantly curled. but commander legends is on a completely different level, there's serious QC issues here, and that's real unfortunate because I pulled a foil counterspell and I love the look of it, and then it turned into a parentheses :<

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Why did the Secret Lair thing only charge me 50 cents? Is that just a preorder thing and they withdraw the money once they ship?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm saying that the previous foils haven't really bothered me, none of them have significantly curled. but commander legends is on a completely different level, there's serious QC issues here, and that's real unfortunate because I pulled a foil counterspell and I love the look of it, and then it turned into a parentheses :<

And I was paraphrasing Baseketball.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a hell of a pull, I'll give you that

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't buy boosters or foils so I can't speak from experience, but I feel like I've been hearing people complain about foils being all warped and lovely for years now.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well for years if you weren't careful, you could get some curling. Now it seems that's the default and I've seen curling of nonfoils too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Its gets better and worse in waves. I have Urza foils that are still flat after being stored in a long box for 20 years and even Innisyrad and Phyrexis foils that are fine. Meanwhile the premium decks from the same time are u shaped and Commander Legends foils are curving the rest of the cards in the packs.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

I don't buy boosters or foils so I can't speak from experience, but I feel like I've been hearing people complain about foils being all warped and lovely for years now.

You definitely have heard it for years, and it's incredible that people keep paying money for them and getting confused when, inexplicably, the curly cards are curly again.

I think it have an old box of foils kicking around somewhere dating back to like, Onslaught. They've spent many years in a Canadian garage I wonder if they've completely curled around like a lovely cardboard taquito.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Old old foils(the ones with the shooting star emblem on the text box, they look way better than current foils) don't really pringle, but they do fog up for whatever reason. Probably a chemical reaction with whatever the foiling is made of?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I dug out my old accumulated stack of foils to see how they've stood up to being in a room with varying temperatures and humidity levels for years, and, unsurprisingly,

Here are some of the worst offenders.

I even have a couple of the real old foils in there and they've curled some, though possibly just through being in a stack with all the other foils.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More like coils amirite??

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The Belgian printed foils dont seem to curl so it can't be that hard to sort it out. No foil I have from a recent standard draft booster curls.

It's a bit hit and miss with other products.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
At least with most sets, if the foils curl it's somewhat on me and how I store them. Never had much of a problem with double-sleeved foils with a dehumidifier on during the summer months. Commander Legends cards are Pringles right out of the pack.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1333449200093237250

includes a survey question about which foil treatment you prefer if you want to tell them explicitly you like the foil etched ones because they don't curl

seriously though take a dozen minutes to take this survey if you hate curled foils at the very least so you can get them to switch to the etched ones

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Framboise posted:

Why did the Secret Lair thing only charge me 50 cents? Is that just a preorder thing and they withdraw the money once they ship?

Yes.

quote:

PREORDERING
Secret Lair has always been about experimenting, and when we initially outlined how Secret Lair drops would work, we made decisions regarding production and billing that aligned with that vision. We're ready now to make some changes based on what we've learned from our first year.

Starting with our Secretversary Superdrop, most customers will not be billed for preorders during checkout. Instead, we'll bill most customers shortly before their order is ready to ship. Before they're charged, customers will be notified twice at their provided email address: once two weeks prior to billing, and again two days prior. Certain very large orders may be notified during checkout that they'll be charged shortly after the preorder window has closed. Codes for digital components will be released to customers once payment has been processed.

Of course, we know that things may change for customers between the time they place their order and their billing date. We'll be providing self-service options to update the information on file for every preorder. Among those options will be a "bill me now" process. Customers can also use these features to adjust their information in the event of an unsuccessful billing attempt.

They're now only charging when the Secret Lair is ready(or near ready) to ship rather than immediately when you order and waiting like 6 months to actually get what you paid for.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Framboise posted:

Yeah, I lost track of the official post but they are changing secret lairs to charge just before shipping instead of right when you order.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rahu posted:

Yeah, I lost track of the official post but they are changing secret lairs to charge just before shipping instead of right when you order.

I'm assuming this is because one of the secret lairs was delayed by nearly a year, which means anyone that purchased it with a credit card would be unable to issue a chargeback/dispute the purchase if there were any issues/damages to the cards or they were never received. I'm sure a ton of people paniced and tried to get their money back as it approached the cutoff.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lone Goat posted:

You definitely have heard it for years, and it's incredible that people keep paying money for them and getting confused when, inexplicably, the curly cards are curly again.

I think it have an old box of foils kicking around somewhere dating back to like, Onslaught. They've spent many years in a Canadian garage I wonder if they've completely curled around like a lovely cardboard taquito.

Found em

These have been sitting in the garage for like 9 years or so, look at that curl. Age range is Odyssey to about Shadowmoor? The Serum Visions' on the right are there as a comparison since they've been sitting in a drawer, indoors, since I got them in 2015 and they're basically flat.

My favourite thing about foils was giving people Game Loss for Marked Cards when I was a judge since I could shuffle their deck and cut to every single one without even trying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just foil the whole deck and it bends together as a unit

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
How long does it take to get the mtga code for the secret lairs?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Bugsy posted:

The one time I ordered the Pack Rat one it basically came with the order receipt. Like they already found the Bob Ross lands inside Arena so it should send you the code right when you order.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bugsy posted:

Mine for the dogs came with the receipt.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 1, 2020

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Boco_T posted:

The one time I ordered the Pack Rat one it basically came with the order receipt. Like they already found the Bob Ross lands inside Arena so it should send you the code right when you order.

HootTheOwl posted:

Mine for the dogs came with three receipt.

Thanks.

Probably will get the Seb one even if I wish the sleeve was a Damnation. Love that Bosch style.
e- yep there it is

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 1, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I bought the Bob Ross lands and got this message in my email from Wizards:

*This content is not available until your preorder is billed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
All I want from the new Lairs is one foil Arcane Signet (for a foiled out EDH deck) and a crap ton of the Seb swamps (non-foil).

The latter will probably be impossible to get more than a hand full. >_>

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HootTheOwl posted:

Just foil the whole deck and it bends together as a unit

:shepspends::hf::shepspends:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AlternateNu posted:

All I want from the new Lairs is one foil Arcane Signet (for a foiled out EDH deck) and a crap ton of the Seb swamps (non-foil).

The latter will probably be impossible to get more than a hand full. >_>

Foil Arcane Signet is in Commander Legends

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I bought the Bob Ross lands and got this message in my email from Wizards:

*This content is not available until your preorder is billed.

Yeah, I saw that too, but they also include a link in the email to be billed right away.

I bought 1 single Bob Ross non-foil set, because I liked watching The Joy of Painting when they first put it up on twitch. Not sure what I'm going to do with them when I get them, maybe make a 5-color commander deck where they're the only basics or something. Or just use them to make a nice first couple pages in my binder?

I'm also not 100% sure if we get the arts in Arena. I think that part said something about a sleeve, and they're giving out a free code for the lands to everyone.

Edit: looked it up, if you bought the secret lair, you get 5, they're giving the other 5 away over the next 2 weeks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There's a squirrel drop, but I think it's only foil. Wish I could find my originals of those cards.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

A Moose posted:

Yeah, I saw that too, but they also include a link in the email to be billed right away.

I bought 1 single Bob Ross non-foil set, because I liked watching The Joy of Painting when they first put it up on twitch. Not sure what I'm going to do with them when I get them, maybe make a 5-color commander deck where they're the only basics or something. Or just use them to make a nice first couple pages in my binder?

I'm also not 100% sure if we get the arts in Arena. I think that part said something about a sleeve, and they're giving out a free code for the lands to everyone.

Edit: looked it up, if you bought the secret lair, you get 5, they're giving the other 5 away over the next 2 weeks

DelightfulMeadow
IslandWilderness
TreeFriend
MoveMountains
HappySwamp

Here are the codes for the MTGA lands that are available right now.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

SalTheBard posted:

DelightfulMeadow
IslandWilderness
TreeFriend
MoveMountains
HappySwamp

Here are the codes for the MTGA lands that are available right now.

Almost all of these are the better looking ones out of the two options so this is surprisingly nice of them to do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve been reading tweets all morning to the tune of “now that Commander Legends is out, when are we getting that Jumpstart reprint!?” and the cope some of these folks have is very funny.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's very funny that Allosaurus is over a hundred Canadian dollars.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Do you want to own 1/1,200th of the art for Benalish hero? Well now you can! This is something that makes sense and is not, at best, a delusional enterprise cosplaying as investors.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

neaden posted:

Do you want to own 1/1,200th of the art for Benalish hero? Well now you can! This is something that makes sense and is not, at best, a delusional enterprise cosplaying as investors.

So this is buying shares in an expensive art piece with the expectation that the value of that art will go up and therefore the shares will be worth more if it's sold?

Why, that's almost as smart an investment as bitcoin!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So I'm not sure what made me remember this, but I was looking at the r/relationships thread and they're talking about guys getting mad about losing to girls in games, or getting mad at losing in general, but I remember a magic pro or tournament grinder or something got caught cheating, and he wrote a really long, very pathetic apology article about why he cheated. It was some bullshit about how his relationship with his girlfriend was getting rough, and she was watching their game, and he hadn't been doing well and he convinced himself she was flirting with his opponent or something. He was playing legacy elves and I think got caught sneaking a creature out of his graveyard or something.

It was very funny though and I can't find it.