Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I went ahead and messaged Zavvi support today. Pretty crappy

To follow up on this

I got an email from Zavvi:
"This was sent to you on 13-11-2020 and delivery can take up to 30 days.

If you have still not received the order by 13-12-2020, please let us know so that we can investigate this for you.

If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yep, that's what I got as well.... the waiting game continues and me rushing downstairs forever.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What are my best options for John Carpenter in 4k? Should I try for the collector's editions from a year or two ago, or are new remasters in the works? I know They Live and Prince of Darkness are getting another release in January, I'm assuming more to come.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MacheteZombie posted:

To follow up on this

I got an email from Zavvi:
"This was sent to you on 13-11-2020 and delivery can take up to 30 days.

If you have still not received the order by 13-12-2020, please let us know so that we can investigate this for you.

If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help."

I think my deliveries from them would take 2 to 3 weeks from dispatch. I'd bet your order will be showing up within the next few days. The frustration is real with ordering from them and waiting to get the order after the dispatch.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yoohoo posted:

What are my best options for John Carpenter in 4k? Should I try for the collector's editions from a year or two ago, or are new remasters in the works? I know They Live and Prince of Darkness are getting another release in January, I'm assuming more to come.

The Fog, They Live, Prince of Darkness and Escape From New York all have 4K releases in the UK (Region B), Halloween has a Region A (Americas) release as well as Region B. They Live and Prince of Darkness are getting a Region A release next year (unknown if the source is the Region B release or if its a new scan). Christine also has a Region A release. The Thing has rumors floating of a UHD release, but currently there is just a 4K scan on a standard HD blu-ray disc that looks great. The rest of the movies are kind of up in the air.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghosts of Mars 4K when???

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Christine UHD is excellent, more of an upgrade than Halloween imo.

Xenomrph posted:

Ghosts of MarsBig Trouble in Little China 4K when???

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yea the Halloween one is largely fine, lots of little things to complain about, but that Christine scan is gorgeous.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Xenomrph posted:

Ghosts of Mars 4K when???

Asking the important questions.

But thanks - that's sort of what I'd established, I just have a hard time navigating all these different collector's editions and UK releases and what not. And another noob question, those UK region B releases will play fine on my new 4k player, right?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

yoohoo posted:

But thanks - that's sort of what I'd established, I just have a hard time navigating all these different collector's editions and UK releases and what not. And another noob question, those UK region B releases will play fine on my new 4k player, right?

I have the limited editions of all the UK Carpenter UHD titles, they play fine on my player. Minus like a few anime titles, there's no region coding on UHD. Definitely pick up Escape from New York. It's perfect on that format.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think someone mentioned that region coding is in the works for UHDs so we'll have to stay on top of that but for anything released up to this point it doesn't matter.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yoohoo posted:

the Region B releases for Prince, They live, Fog and Escape all seem to be great from anyone who has watched them (I have the Prince of Darkness release, its great). Halloween is good, could be better but would require a significant investment and I dont know if Miramax would want to do that (maybe if the next two current Halloween movies do well enough they would consider a full restoration with backing by Blumhouse). Christine is the best of the releases so far.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just want Halloween 3 in 4k at this point

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The LOTR trilogy reviews sound dope. Very excited for my steelbook set to show up tomorrow.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Iron Crowned posted:

I just want Halloween 3 in 4k at this point

Shout already has the scan, so it's possible.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

I have the limited editions of all the UK Carpenter UHD titles, they play fine on my player. Minus like a few anime titles, there's no region coding on UHD. Definitely pick up Escape from New York. It's perfect on that format.

Yeah I just wanted to be doubly sure the anime chat above wasn't all encompassing. That and the Amazon page has a warning about these not playing on NA players.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I assume the transfer is the same as the Shout Factory edition released last year but Eureka's Mothra set is A+ in presentation. So is the Honda double feature with H Man/Battle in Outer Space - some good quality b movie practical effects showcases.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tim Whatley posted:

The LOTR trilogy reviews sound dope. Very excited for my steelbook set to show up tomorrow.

Nevermind. Best Buy/USPS lost it in the mail and it's completely sold out so all I can get is a refund. Pre ordering is great! :tif:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Tim Whatley posted:

Nevermind. Best Buy/USPS lost it in the mail and it's completely sold out so all I can get is a refund. Pre ordering is great! :tif:

dont worry, im still in the infinite limbo of zavvi/dawn of the dead UHD :tif:

we're in this together. forever.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I got the steelbook but for a gift for my dad for his new 4k TV so its just sitting here. Good to know its supposed to look great though! Extended being on two discs for that natural intermission.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Any tips for removing stickers/sticky residue from a lenticular slipcover?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Xenomrph posted:

Goo Gone. Wanna go nice and light with a q-tip. Works on paper slips too without ruining them. Just gotta be gentle. Little bit of heat helps too to get the initial sticker off

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Get a little bit of lighter fluid. Put it on a paper towel. Rub on residue.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Throw it in the trash and cackle as the blu-ray.com dorks lament :twisted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Hell no, I’m a huge sucker for lenticular poo poo. I remember having ‘Independence Day’ on VHS a lenticular cover where the White House would blow up, that was the coolest poo poo ever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I use the slip covers for preventing damage to the actual case itself, that way I don't have to worry as much about my cases being packed too tightly together on the shelf(which causes the plastic to bubble and it looks like poo poo).

Anyway I picked up the new Blade UHD yesterday and it looks fantastic. The red blood, Blade's blacker than black costume, it's a movie that really benefits from the format outside of those few moments of dodgy CGI that looked just as questionable back when the movie was new.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I often think about tossing all my slipcovers because they probably equal 3-4 BDs in width and my space is limited

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

I often think about tossing all my slipcovers because they probably equal 3-4 BDs in width and my space is limited

there is a market for slip covers on ebay if you really feel the need to part with them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I use the slip covers for preventing damage to the actual case itself, that way I don't have to worry as much about my cases being packed too tightly together on the shelf(which causes the plastic to bubble and it looks like poo poo).

See, I don't know about that. Sometimes when I put the slipcase back on I'll be slightly off at first and bang up the plastic or paper at the inserted edge.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

there is a market for slip covers on ebay if you really feel the need to part with them.

I’d just want to sell them in bulk but I’ll take a look. I don’t have anything rare

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

See, I don't know about that. Sometimes when I put the slipcase back on I'll be slightly off at first and bang up the plastic or paper at the inserted edge.

You're right about that, and I'm SUPER careful about putting them back on for that reason. These are things I would not admit outside of this thread, it's kinda embarrassing tbh.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Alec Eiffel posted:

I’d just want to sell them in bulk but I’ll take a look. I don’t have anything rare

all slip covers are rare to someone who wants to cover all their media.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

if you have a bunch of "common" ones i bet you could find a bulk buyer. obviously no guarantees but there's a lot of crazies out there.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The only slipcovers I care about are lenticular ones, and even then if I can find a way to detach the lenticular part from the slipcover and glue it directly to the Blu-ray/DVD case then I prefer to do that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The slipcovers I like the most are the ones with different artwork from the main case. But I keep all my slipcovers because I'm not a psycho.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

The slipcovers I like the most are the ones with different artwork from the main case. But I keep all my slipcovers because I'm not a psycho.

I love the trend of reversible sleeves, that way i can have the slip with one poster, and the case the other.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I love the trend of reversible sleeves, that way i can have the slip with one poster, and the case the other.

Oh yea I love that, that's one of my favorite things about Shout Factory blu rays. I switch my From Beyond cover like every year or so just because I feel like it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea I love that, that's one of my favorite things about Shout Factory blu rays. I switch my From Beyond cover like every year or so just because I feel like it.

I almost always prefer the original posters, but I always just keep the Shout Factory new covers showing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The style of new covers Shout has grates on me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

The style of new covers Shout has grates on me :shrug:

That I understand, the actual look of the redone covers is very hit or miss. But they give you a classic cover on the other side, which makes up for it imo.