Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Wizard Styles posted:

There really isn't much of a reason to play FM20 now, yeah. Free or not. Its match engine was the worst one they put out since I've been playing (17) by a distance. The current one is easily the best. The transfer market is better than it has been in the past as well now.

Perhaps it will be free on Epic about a year from now. It's all relative, of course, but spending 50 USD on a game that has a learning curve like trying to run up a glass wall is a big investment. I haven't been playing year in, year out for a long time like many of you, so it's intimidating. The only other version of FM that I own is '16, on Steam.

Masonity posted:

The reason we used to play it is because it was crap but it was the only game in town.

FM seriously needs some decent competition. It hasn't really had one since Ultimate Soccer Manager died.

Competition would not hurt. In my opinion, the yearly sports roster udpate where huge companies pretend that they improved something in order to make more money needs to die in general. NBA 2K has a disgusting number of bugs that have been around for years, but they never fix them because it's not profitable. Instead, they update rosters and add a new splash screen to the same broken game and tell people to spend another 60 USD. The game then gets horrible Steam reviews, but nothing ever changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FM16 is the first one I worked on, and it is also bad. You're welcome.

The Croc posted:

fm wouldn't be able to really do the economic impact correctly anyway its impossible to bankrupt a club and even if your in loads of debt someone buys you out of it eventually. Always been a weak area of fm the modelling of financial ruin of a football club.

Income tends to be pretty accurate and official, but I don't think the game models the costs of running a football club behind the scenes (non-visible staff and services) well enough. It's definitely too easy to be profitable in the EFL.

Swansea is very easy this year thanks to the late Joe Rodon sale (£11m cash up front) and how I set a cashflow-related loan of £15m to be repaid over 3 or 4 years when it probably should have been 1-2 with higher interest. Annoyed at myself for that.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm about to blow two years worth of transfer budget on a centerback from Millwall because he has 19 Jumping Reach and 16 Heading. Buying players from England as a Dutch club is probably the dumbest thing you could do but between them my 4 centerbacks have scored about 25 goals halfway through the season. So this new guy should by all means score one in two for me.

I think I'll spend the next pre-season trying out set piece routines.

JustJeff88 posted:

Perhaps it will be free on Epic about a year from now. It's all relative, of course, but spending 50 USD on a game that has a learning curve like trying to run up a glass wall is a big investment. I haven't been playing year in, year out for a long time like many of you, so it's intimidating. The only other version of FM that I own is '16, on Steam.
Well, there's always a demo and I have never paid full price for an FM game. They're permanently sold at a discount somewhere.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/milesSI/status/1333853131193593856?s=20

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like that you can't sign players from unsuccessful clubs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Azhais posted:

I like that you can't sign players from unsuccessful clubs

Yet another reason to never manage in England/Scotland.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

kingturnip posted:

Yet another reason to never manage in England/Scotland.

I genuinely don't get this.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Does having a bad relationship with journalists affect anything? There's a lad at talksport who absolutely despises me and I thought I was being nice by attending all the conferences and not giving them the Strachan treatment

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I hate the new condition hearts. Where are the condition/match fitness circles! :(

Also just wanted to make sure, the little update this morning is compatible with my existing save, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

birds posted:

I hate the new condition hearts. Where are the condition/match fitness circles! :(

Also just wanted to make sure, the little update this morning is compatible with my existing save, right?

Some of the changes will apply, some won't unless you start a new career, it won't (intentionally) break anything.

I like the change to condition but the info hidden in the hover-over tab (like match load and minutes played) needs to be more visible as they matter more than just seeing a full green heart and thinking it's fine to play.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
The Irish Premiership is a really nice division to manage in. Lax loan rules, but issues with getting full season loans from English teams. A reduction on scouting so you can't just go all over Europe to find those people. Obviously not part of Brexit so there's no or fewer issues with permits. Not a prestigious league so when you get there Europe will be a real challenge. And, most of all, if you're a mid-table team there's a real tactical battle with how you set your formation against similar teams, home and away, with resting players, and how you minimise/maximise against the league leaders who've money from Europe.

I started with Cork City in the First Division and went unbeaten in the league there (as they should do seeing as they were just relegated) and, now, in the premiership, it's a real back and forth with results and an interesting challenge. A highly recommended place to go if you're looking for an interesting Lower League (in stature) save but still want the ability to become a really impressive European team in the long run.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
83rd minute, 1-0 up against a team who are outplaying us, having already changed formation to try to shore things up (which only helped a little); we win the ball and rather sluggishly work it up the pitch and the ball is laid back to a little outside the opposition's penalty area where my... Half-Back gets the ball?

Dude, I don't think you understand what your loving job is.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I have noticed that, too. I don't play with a Half-Back but a DLP - D or Anchor Man depending on which player I'm using. As soon as I go Attacking or even just Positive they like to hang out just behind the opposition penalty area.

Mrenda posted:

The Irish Premiership is a really nice division to manage in. Lax loan rules, but issues with getting full season loans from English teams. A reduction on scouting so you can't just go all over Europe to find those people. Obviously not part of Brexit so there's no or fewer issues with permits. Not a prestigious league so when you get there Europe will be a real challenge. And, most of all, if you're a mid-table team there's a real tactical battle with how you set your formation against similar teams, home and away, with resting players, and how you minimise/maximise against the league leaders who've money from Europe.

I started with Cork City in the First Division and went unbeaten in the league there (as they should do seeing as they were just relegated) and, now, in the premiership, it's a real back and forth with results and an interesting challenge. A highly recommended place to go if you're looking for an interesting Lower League (in stature) save but still want the ability to become a really impressive European team in the long run.
Definitely going to add Ireland as a playable nation when I eventually do a journeyman save. I do like managing in, for example, a lot of Asian countries where you have limits on how many foreign players you can have in your squad. It's easier for a human player than the AI but finding the best players to fill those slots is a lot of fun. So is signing a Brazilian Japanese player you can't scout almost completely blind because he came through a Brazilian youth system so you know he's going to tear poo poo up in Malaysia without looking at his stats. But work permits are just such garbage to deal with.

And having permissive rules lets you build a squad ready to take on clubs from any league like you said. It's why I went with Twente for my first save this year. In the short term it's about getting the club to a point where they are level with Ajax and could still challenge for the title if I left. But if it turns into a really long term save it'll be about Europe.

On that note, Twente specifically is a lot of fun. They're predicted to finish bottom at the start, which I expect to change come the winter update because they are doing a lot better irl. One of the key players and club captain is in his 30s; in my save his physicals completely imploded and by the end of the second season he boasted 5 Acceleration and 4 Pace and Stamina, needing a rollator to get on the pitch at the age of 34. The offense consists of loanees, most of which will be too expensive to sign permanently. But there is plenty of budget (by Dutch standards) and the squad is small enough to bring a bunch of players in without having to offload anyone and pissing the team off. Also, there's a 30% sell-on clause on Jesús Corona, notable for his name and being one of Porto's star players. That got me 7 million in my second season. So there's a lot of work to do but you also have the resources to do so without being as rich as the big Dutch clubs. My biggest issue so far has been finding players who can help me that want to come and won't destroy my wage budget, so there's still a lot of scouting going on. Also, deciding which young players to sign because you won't get perfect scouts and 4-5 star potential can mean anything from 200 PA down to "Could be a starter for Burnley.".
Also, the club has good facilities and a big stadium already.
Fun save to build a club up without the process taking an actual decade.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
I'm finding it a real problem to attract players at the next level for Cork City, now. We can get guys in who are simple replacements for our guys, but the club's stature isn't high enough to really step up a level. And that means we're not able to compete with the guys in the top three spots of the league, even if we're clear of the bottom teams. Like I said, it's an interesting save, but I have a feeling it'll be a long and slow methodical build up rather than instant glory.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mrenda posted:

I'm finding it a real problem to attract players at the next level for Cork City, now. We can get guys in who are simple replacements for our guys, but the club's stature isn't high enough to really step up a level. And that means we're not able to compete with the guys in the top three spots of the league, even if we're clear of the bottom teams. Like I said, it's an interesting save, but I have a feeling it'll be a long and slow methodical build up rather than instant glory.
How did you set up your database?
In Holland, I'm getting a lot of my players from South American nations outside of Argentina and Brazil, Scandinavia, Croatia and Serbia, and Africa (really all of Africa, from a Moroccan center back to a South African winger).
Players from many of those would probably be too expensive or simply unwilling to move to Ireland but I think you could get players from a lot of African nations. Norway also has a bunch of good cheap players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Norway is very cheap wages for what you get, compared to other countries. Sweden right next door is like double the cost for the same or slightly worse quality player.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
We're top of the league, and face 19th-placed Rodez:

We get murdered, but their players are so poo poo they hit practically every shot straight at our keeper.
I spend most of the game swearing and give them the 'Thrash Arms while telling them how poo poo they are' treatment at Full Time. Not a single one of them agrees with me.

I'm sorry, weren't you paying attention for the last 90 minutes?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The 5.6 rating CB being told he really sucked poo poo out there replying back that I need spectacles because he actually was awesome never fails to make me laugh

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
What's the lowest rating you've ever seen a player get? In any context, RL or otherwise, I have never seen less than maybe 5.5/5.0

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nathan Aké really sucked poo poo out there

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
This guy is possibly the biggest oval office I have ever seen in FM, and he's only 17

He has 20 dirtiness too, but unfortunately (?) high sportsmanship and low controversy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just needs the Dives Into Tackles PPM and he’ll be a ruthless red card machine

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just needs the Dives Into Tackles PPM and he’ll be a ruthless red card machine

Working on it.

In the meantime:

He doesn't appear to have any other moods.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

KoldPT posted:

This guy is possibly the biggest oval office I have ever seen in FM, and he's only 17

He has 20 dirtiness too, but unfortunately (?) high sportsmanship and low controversy

Gonna have a great effect on your team since his leadership is going up. Joey Barton would be envious.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just needs to work on his heading.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

sassassin posted:

Just needs to work on his heading.

:rip:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Appropriate that he's English.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I like using the editor to put players like that into the world, having one generated by the game for your own team is just beautiful.

JustJeff88 posted:

What's the lowest rating you've ever seen a player get? In any context, RL or otherwise, I have never seen less than maybe 5.5/5.0
I've seen defenders cause multiple goals and get something below a 4.5 several times.
I only remember one game where a player who wasn't a defender or goalkeeper got a rating below 5.0, and that was an attacking midfielder who was playing injured. There's not much of a story to that because he got that rating for not doing poo poo but I remember that I checked the match report afterwards since I had never seen anything like that and he had a pass completion percentage below 40%, which is impressive in its own right.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I like that I can actually feel a difference in goalie quality in this version. In older ones it felt like you could put anyone between the sticks and they had an even chance of keeping a clean sheet but now I can tell that the 2 star reserve keeper I have is more likely to get caught off his line or let one in on a corner than my 4 star regular

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

:smuggo:

First CL season, beat Liverpool at home and held them to a draw at Anfield.

I would prefer not to speak about the xG in those games, but would be happy to elaborate on Sadio Mané blasting the ball into the stands despite being free on goal an estimated 10,000 times.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Hmm...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

igtr

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did all of Giggs' tactical data this year. They didn't let me destroy his personality though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

I did all of Giggs' tactical data this year. They didn't let me destroy his personality though.

Controversy = 20
Loyalty = 0
Professionalism = 0
Sportsmanship = 0

Personality = Fickle

Please tell me that's what you tried to submit

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's still a "model citizen" I think. Which is a PR blunder if nothing else.

International stuff gets next to no direct attention so he's still every United fan's perfect hero. I wasn't even sure which research head to email to get the changes I did make done as the structure is all club and league based, there's no 'Wales FA' wrangler making sure team selections and staffing works out right. Half the senior England staff weren't even in the game in beta (including Martyn Margetson who does double duty with Swansea, due to a mistyped leaving date).

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Shroud posted:

Controversy = 20
Loyalty = 0
Professionalism = 0
Sportsmanship = 0

Personality = Fickle

Please tell me that's what you tried to submit

You want 1s, a 0 means random!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sassassin posted:

He's still a "model citizen" I think. Which is a PR blunder if nothing else.

International stuff gets next to no direct attention so he's still every United fan's perfect hero. I wasn't even sure which research head to email to get the changes I did make done as the structure is all club and league based, there's no 'Wales FA' wrangler making sure team selections and staffing works out right. Half the senior England staff weren't even in the game in beta (including Martyn Margetson who does double duty with Swansea, due to a mistyped leaving date).
First time posting about FM in forever and outing myself as a lower league researcher again (leagues I cover aren't even playable "out of the box", but in most cases where a country has a league that's playable on startup the researcher in charge of the D1 league in that country will also be in charge of that country's national team and research related to data about the country itself.

And yes, international football in the game still very much takes a back seat to club football. I'd wager that it probably has something to do with internal metrics or surveys that have given SI a rough idea how many users manage international teams. It's why American D2 and D3 still aren't playable (as much as I'd like them to be): as much headway and improvement in sales of the game that SI has seen in the United States and Canada, sales here still make up a tiny, tiny fraction of the overall userbase.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 15, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I know at least one player who would do more international managing if they actually made it worth playing and not a hollow barebones tacked-on husk.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

International management is genuinely quite boring for like 20 out of any 24 months so the realism is appreciated, by me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wales is an edge case in that 99% of the players in the setup are playing under the English FA. Only a handful are ever at Welsh Prem clubs, usually on loan and in the younger groups. My EFL head did the Giggs changes, and fixed stuff like Kieron Freeman (without a club) being massively overrated and getting called up ahead of good lads Connor Robs and Neco Williams.