Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The next run coming up in a few minutes is Yakuza 0-3, back to back.

https://www.twitch.tv/reallyreallylongathon

I can't decide if this sounds really boring or really great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would watch a stream of Yakuza 0-3, Mahjong champion%

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
It's good secondary monitor feed at the very least.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Speedrunners who can push themselves through runs longer than an hour or so are extremely powerful and have my respect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mode 7 posted:

Speedrunners who can push themselves through runs longer than an hour eight minutes or so are extremely powerful and have my respect.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat 13 Sentinels today(second incredibly anime game platinum trophy of the year after Persona 5 Royal). Really loved the majority of it and it's probably my 3rd favorite game of the year. I've never really played any of the Vanillaware stuff because I didn't care for the genres they released but a 999 style flowchart game is my jam. Didn't care for the combat too much so I just dropped it to Casual.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I learned that the low% speedruns for legend of zelda twilight princess require the player wait 13 hours while Link is staring at a rupee and that the best run for that category is a minute shy of 25 hours.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

I learned that the low% speedruns for legend of zelda twilight princess require the player wait 13 hours while Link is staring at a rupee and that the best run for that category is a minute shy of 25 hours.

Amazing how forgetting one frame of an idle animation can make for one hell of a skip

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One of the most insane video game skips I've ever seen that doesn't even require you to try and break the game is the P3 final boss. If you haven't finished the Devil social link by the end of the game, you can go to the mall and meet with him which then skips the final night and bosses and sends you straight to the good ending and credits

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Back in the October chat thread you might recall I talked about creating a Games forum time capsule in December, collecting our predictions for the next 1/3/5/10 years. Well, now I've gone ahead and done that thing and you can get details and/or record your hot takes for posterity right here.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

My goal this month is to finish off Dark Souls and I think I should start playing Bloodborne again. It's the only Soulsborne game I haven't finished and I really love it so much I should try!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, Time Capsule reminds me

re: talk about new bad Smashing Pumpkins album. If you've ever been to a Speedway brand gas station, they have worked on furthering our lives toward corporate hellscape where now even when you get gasoline, the pumps have TVs installed in them that blast you with advertisements. One of them is an interview with the lead singer talking about the album, and it was weird every time I heard it because it just made absolutely no sense, in exactly the sort of way an rear end in a top hat would try and describe something.

It was like "We'd gone so long making albums that were like, a straight line of progression for us, and that just didn't make sense anymore, so this new record we're working in like, a circle, where we can now include our audience in that process"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/964800/Prodeus/

hey what the gently caress is this and why have I missed it until now? This looks really cool???

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

... okay now I'm into it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Valve make more games please

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For people who haven't seen the video and don't know what they are talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2nRW3wKnVY

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

One of the most insane video game skips I've ever seen that doesn't even require you to try and break the game is the P3 final boss. If you haven't finished the Devil social link by the end of the game, you can go to the mall and meet with him which then skips the final night and bosses and sends you straight to the good ending and credits

How does this work :psyduck:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I said come in! posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/964800/Prodeus/

hey what the gently caress is this and why have I missed it until now? This looks really cool???

It's extreme good and cool and the map editor owns bones. There is a ton of custom content/maps/assets out already which definitely makes up for the short-ish main campaign (so far in early access, they're extending it).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Where's last years game of the year thread? and is there a thread yet for this year's? I kept a GAMING SPREADSHEET of games I played/beat/etc this year with out-of-twenty rankings, and I'm afraid since I platted bloodborne this year in Jan or Feb I technically played it this year, and am voting for it as game of the year again. Apart from that it's TLOU2/FFVII, and two of the top 5 games from last year that I'm still busy playing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's extreme good and cool and the map editor owns bones. There is a ton of custom content/maps/assets out already which definitely makes up for the short-ish main campaign (so far in early access, they're extending it).

You can also turn off the sprites if you prefer 3d models for the enemies (and pickups?), which I thought was kind of neat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Your wish is granted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjoyeBGwJVY

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lmao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Sorry, the hat market didn't take off in Portal 2 so please enjoy our new cosmetic Portal crossover dlc in, uh, 7 Days to Die?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought the VR half life was supposed to be p good

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought the VR half life was supposed to be p good

Its pretty good in the sense that it's a VR game made by a developer with an actual budget. Visually it looks great but not any better than any non-VR game that is renowned for its visuals. It gets a lot of the small VR stuff right (the flick-motion grab is a great idea) but it also gets a lot wrong that Boneworks had already done, like ladders

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Evergreen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_GcXaXsmOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hey Valve when are you holding that million-dollar Artifact tournament you promised?

also, unrelated: I think I'm done with game shopping for the season. I got a decent amount of stuff, too: FF7R which I'm getting clooooooooose to finishing up, Nioh2 (finished first area), Kingdom Hearts All-In-One, MonHun Iceborne, the Prey Mooncrasher DLC, and Dishonored 1/2. I totally forgot about Shadow of War, I'll maybe pick it up in a Christmas sale or something. I'm thinking I'll submit Cadence of Hyrule and TWEWY as Christmas gifts to get me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Congrats to HL2 and Dishonored 2 for being the only games I could get running in portrait mode

e:made images smaller

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 2, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vermain posted:

Frankly speaking, it's very hard to do an Elder Scrolls anti-drug ad, considering how incredibly cool getting fantasy high is.

In the lore Skyrim has flying whales that piss hallucinogens and sometimes school together so parts of Skyrim just have hallucinogenic piss blizzards that render the entire local populace and also the bears and poo poo high as balls. This is Elder Scrolls lore that Bethesda were too cowardly to put into the 2012 video game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Random gaming snippets of stuff I've played/am playing.

Knocked out Danganronpa in a few nights. Rarity, I went back and read through your liveposts of your impressions in the last thread, was fun seeing a lot of our reactions to stuff line up. Also, Hina best girl and it isn't even close. Saw (significant spoilers for Danganronpa 1 in the spoilers of the rest of this post, for real don't look if you haven't played or don't want several major twists spoiled) Chihiro being a boy, Kyoko being the Ultimate Detective, the re-use of Mukuro-Junko's body and therefore Junko being the Ultimate Despair, and the general amnesia/timeskip stuff coming a mile off but I think that's probably because a lot of it leans heavily into anime tropes so as the game progressed I felt like I knew broadly what was coming. Endless lol at the anime as hell Ultimate Soldier who is a loving high schooler and also a badass elite mercenary soldier from a super secret unit, something that I find stupider that Kyoko's ultra super secret detective family or the fact that Toko is a mass serial killer and nobody seems to have any sort of real issue with this. The mastermind is a heinous monster for trapping us and manipulating us into killing each other, but our good friend who is a serial killer should face no consequences for it, that's fine. Haha, that wacky Genocide Jack, always with the murder!.

I don't know if I can be bothered doing the post-game content. Is there anything of particular value in the post-game mode that I should watch on YouTube or am I good to just go straight on to Danganronpa 2 next time that's on sale?

I've also been in the mood for some cinematic platformer (games in the vein of Prince of Persia/Another World) stuff, so I grabbed The Eternal Castle [REMASTERED] and Flashback on sale. I remember watching my cousin play Flashback on his PC back in the 90s and occasionally having a go and dying very quickly, so I'm interested to see how I go as a mostly functioning adult. I might do a thread for cinematic platformers at some point to see what other cool stuff people recommend and also as a nudge to myself to actually finish a few of them as I've played a ton but tend to get distracted with other games only to go back to them later and have forgotten where I was, where I was going, and apparently how to play the game.

Anyway, I've started The Eternal Castle and it's moody, gorgeous, extremely unforgiving and the controls feel wonky, even for a genre where controls are frequently stiff as hell. I think how far I get through it is going to depend on whether the incredible atmosphere of the game is enough to offset my frustrations with it. Saying that feels like an evergreen comment about cinematic platformers as a whole, I guess. I miss Blackthorne and having a dedicated fire-a-shotgun-behind-me-like-a-badass button.

On the Switch, I've been playing Neo ATLAS 1469, a...........uh..........strategy? i guess? game. It's an odd mix of elements. You play the master of a Portuguese trading company, and send out fleets to explore the fog-shrouded map, uncovering land as you go. The land you uncover is semi-random and you can "approve" or "disapprove" of the reports your fleet send back, meaning you either lock that bit of land into existence or try again later to get something more to your liking, meaning that your eventual World Map will look different to other player's attempts and also reality. You find trade goods as you go that you can set up trading routes with to generate cash to equip your ships and pay your admirals, sites that you can investigate for further rewards, and occasionally pirates or sea monsters that you need to "battle" to get past. I've not played anything else quite like it, and I'm interested to see how it develops, but the problem is that the game currently feels about as deep as a puddle and if what I'm doing now is all there is to the game, I can't see myself enjoying repeating it over and over and over with no change or variation until it ends and I'll likely just shelve it and move on to something else.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Danganronpa is one of those things where I kinda wish I could replay it with my memory wiped of what happens.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Danganronpa is one of those things where I wish I could live with my knowledge of it existing wiped

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have played Project Wingman for exactly two missions and after I ended the second mission by blowing up an Air Cruiser out of the sky with a Heavy Gunpod, I know this game is pushing all the buttons that Ace Combat does, it owns

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Roth posted:

Danganronpa is one of those things where I kinda wish I could replay it with my memory wiped of what happens.

This, but Return of the Obra Dinn

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Just be reading the subtitle I can tell that this game is Ace Combat as gently caress.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol, got a 5 second YouTube ad for Joe Rogan

It’s him saying “There are infinities bigger than other infinities”

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Grapplejack posted:

But you're going to miss on the worst plot twist of the year!

I read your explaining, spoilered post but this one gave me the strength to push through to the end. I was basically hate playing it and bumped it down to the easiest difficulty. Let me just say: ugh.

I started Dark Souls and it’s like wearing my favorite pants. When it was released I bought a copy of DS for the XB360, which I had, and loved playing it so much I got a copy for the PS3 (which by then-girlfriend had) because I wanted to play it every available minute. I rolled a thief character this time to avoid doing the Zweihander=easy mode route again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The best ad I get on YouTube these days is 5 seconds of Elijah Wood I'm bed winning an encounter in AFK Arena.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the Doom Eternal dlc plot twist I didn't buy it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Lol, got a 5 second YouTube ad for Joe Rogan

It’s him saying “There are infinities bigger than other infinities”

I don't know who that is but he's right

the cardinal infinities are more well known but the ordinal infinites are far cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know who that is but he's right

the cardinal infinities are more well known but the ordinal infinites are far cooler

All I know about him is that he had nazis and Bernie Sanders on his podcast and he likes weed