Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
People are really cool in this thread! Thanks for responding to all my waffling about armies. I appreciate all the input.

I’m gonna go with Kharadron, my original choice (lol), and I’m gonna paint me up some big dumb steampunk pirate dwarves.

Honestly I don’t think I’m gonna get anything besides the Ironclad and maybe some troops for right now (they’re even available from my LGS for a great discount). I was looking at a bunch of lists and I’m seeing responses to the Battleforce box ranging everywhere from “total trash” to “gotta get it,” so w/e I might just miss that one. When I was building my 40K army, I was pretty FOMO about everything and grabbed kiiiind of one of everything, so I would like to be extremely particular and focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Captain Magic posted:

People are really cool in this thread! Thanks for responding to all my waffling about armies. I appreciate all the input.

I’m gonna go with Kharadron, my original choice (lol), and I’m gonna paint me up some big dumb steampunk pirate dwarves.

Honestly I don’t think I’m gonna get anything besides the Ironclad and maybe some troops for right now (they’re even available from my LGS for a great discount). I was looking at a bunch of lists and I’m seeing responses to the Battleforce box ranging everywhere from “total trash” to “gotta get it,” so w/e I might just miss that one. When I was building my 40K army, I was pretty FOMO about everything and grabbed kiiiind of one of everything, so I would like to be extremely particular and focused.

Get the Kharadron Warcry box if you can.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A friend of mine says that the Endrinriggers are some of the hardest models he's ever had to put together so fair warning there if you get to them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished Lord of Pain for AoS this morning. Had a lot of fun playing with contrasts with this one.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

A friend of mine says that the Endrinriggers are some of the hardest models he's ever had to put together so fair warning there if you get to them.

Oh awesome! I love a modeling challenge.

Sulecrist posted:

Get the Kharadron Warcry box if you can.

Yeah I was thinking that too! I might grab more than one. I saw a few lists that had doubles of what it sports.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Finished Lord of Pain for AoS this morning. Had a lot of fun playing with contrasts with this one.
Looking good!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Asking this in both this thread and the 40k thread because it's about Daemons.

Basically, I've been getting into AoS but my friends currently exclusively play 40k. So I've been looking into getting a Daemon army so I can do both.

Realise that army builds will vary between the two games, but can anyone recommend what's the best faction/god/starter box to get so I can work towards having both a AoS and 40k Daemon army?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the thing you'll have to keep in mind is that by necessity an army that works in both games will need to be mono-god in 40k since that's how the armies are in AoS.

That said Slaanesh is currently real popular in 40k and even with the nerfs are still pretty dece in AoS. Tzeentch daemons are still kinda bonkers in AoS, no idea what their status is in 40k though.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
There is the Legion of Chaos Ascendant allegiance in Wrath of the Everchosen that lets you take daemons from all four factions. That might be a decent option if you want to mix and match in both games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain Magic posted:

Glad to help. Dont get the battleforce box, 2 start collecting boxes gets you in a way better position towards a good army.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Can anyone who has a Slaan mage priest tell me how tall one is from flying base to the top of the big thing on his chair behind him?

Got a second hand metal once with no base and missing the big placard thing, going to kitbash a nice rock for him to float on so he's tournament legal.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Glad to help. Dont get the battleforce box, 2 start collecting boxes gets you in a way better position towards a good army.

Yeah I got uhhhh, a Warcry box, Ironclad, Thunderers, Arcanauts, and an Endrinmaster. No way I’m able to play any games in my super infected area for a while, so that will all keep me busy building and painting in lockdown until I know my next steps.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The silly thing about the Kharadron box is it'd actually be a perfectly viable self contained force if it were the flying Endrinmaster instead of Grungson.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The silly thing about the Kharadron box is it'd actually be a perfectly viable self contained force if it were the flying Endrinmaster instead of Grungson.

I still reckon it's an excellent box. My KO are packed to the gills so I won't get one, but even with it being led by Grungsson I'd say it's worth getting and just using him as a regular endrinmaster.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
is the gloomspite gitz battleforce an OK starting point?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
also its funny that the ogre battle force has more models than the goblin battleforce

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Big Willy Style posted:

also its funny that the ogre battle force has more models than the goblin battleforce

It's pretty funny to me that the goblin one is $200 and the other three are $210. They couldn't make them all $199 or throw an extra hero or something in the Gloomspite one and charge the same price for it?

It's not a real gripe, it's just weird.

EDIT: uhh looking at what's in it again, they coulda charged the same price and put the rest of the second unit of squig hoppers in lol

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 29, 2020

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

I don't play Gitz, but I've played against them many times and all in the box seems useful. It only gives you around 900 points, so you may want to get a few more units.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

If you like whats in it, its solid. Its aimed at 2 subfactions introduced in white dwarf, one focused on squigs and one on troggoths.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How are fyreslayers? Their models look awesome

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Decently strong. They tend to do well theyre just one of the armies in AoS who have such a limited range of models you really only have one or two valid lists but those lists are very strong.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

They destroy what they can touch and can shrug damage like crazy, but they are slow and need to protect their heroes against sniping.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
They also suffer from having probably the most limited range of models in the game (except joke answer sons of behemoth) so you better like painting effectively the same dudes again and again

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm thinking of doing Fyreslayers with bright magenta beards but I'm curious what colors people think would go well with that. I'm thinking neutral flesh tones and gold-green weapons

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've been looking at the KO box to get into AoS, but I already have an ironclad that I bought for a d&d campaign, and Battlescribe is telling me I can't run it in the same list as a frigate, because maximum one behemoth? Is that right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

I've been looking at the KO box to get into AoS, but I already have an ironclad that I bought for a d&d campaign, and Battlescribe is telling me I can't run it in the same list as a frigate, because maximum one behemoth? Is that right?

First i would highly reccomend 2 start collecting boxes rather than that. Its about the same price but gets you better stuff to start.

As for your other question, no. Theres 2 behemoths permitted in a 1000 pt game and 4 in a 2k game. Also one of the subfactions lets you use frigates as battleline, so there is that.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/ use the warscroll builder over battlescribe. Its less clunky and officially supported.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

no, you get at least two at 1000pts, plus there's a subfaction that unlocks frigates as battleline which don't count towards the limit.

also don't use battlescribe for AoS.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cool thanks for the help!

I probably will go with the batttleforce though because I like big boats.

and I cannot lie

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm thinking of doing Fyreslayers with bright magenta beards but I'm curious what colors people think would go well with that. I'm thinking neutral flesh tones and gold-green weapons

magenta and gold-green metals is good; I think the whole rage of normal human flesh tones would work

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

All this KO talk reminded me that at some point through trading, I ended up with around 2300pts of the lil dudes mostly new on sprue. However, for some reason, I absolutely cannot get excited or motivated to build or paint these guys. Like every scheme does nothing for me. I ended up giving it a shot with the Space Wolf grey+yellow faction, which is probably what I'll end up going with, but drat, these dude just sap every amount of excitement from modeling for me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
edit: nm!

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 1, 2020

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

What are some good Stormcast models to get if I want to run a stardrake? I was about to get some ogres, but I recently traded some of my backlog for a stardrake and if I'm gonna spend the 1 million years it'll take me to paint this thing I want to have an army to go with it. I think I heard that Soul Wars and one of the SCE start collecting boxes have weird unit sizes and aren't actually good to start with and the SCE range is huge so I'm not sure what I should get.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

EAThief posted:

What are some good Stormcast models to get if I want to run a stardrake? I was about to get some ogres, but I recently traded some of my backlog for a stardrake and if I'm gonna spend the 1 million years it'll take me to paint this thing I want to have an army to go with it. I think I heard that Soul Wars and one of the SCE start collecting boxes have weird unit sizes and aren't actually good to start with and the SCE range is huge so I'm not sure what I should get.
I usually run the Stardrake with six Evocators on Dracolines (that came included with last year's Stormcasts Battleforce box), a Lord-Exorcist, a Lord-Castellant, a Knight-Incantor for support, and a bunch of Liberators for chaff... or Judicators if I don't want to run endless spells like the Everblaze Comet. But, I have a lot of Stormcasts to choose from.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another new Slaanesh mortal model. This one looks more like the aesthetic of the Underworlds warband, which I hope they continue with because they’re all freaking awesome imo.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That's a better cow goat? horned helmet than the one from the Lumineths.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
strong rita repulsa vibes

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm digging the Arabian Nights theme they seem to be going with, it makes a nice mirror to the lumineth.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Slaanesh before now: Gross crab monsters covered in titties, super gross, mildly queerphobic

Slaanesh now: G o r g e o u s

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anno posted:

Another new Slaanesh mortal model. This one looks more like the aesthetic of the Underworlds warband, which I hope they continue with because they’re all freaking awesome imo.

Cool mini but i'm lolling at the hair on the slaanesh mirror in the promo shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Cool mini but i'm lolling at the hair on the slaanesh mirror in the promo shot.
Can't unsee now :eyepop: