Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

They should have gotten a couple of wood chippers and pointed the end nozzle into the hole.

Oh so this is what Shakespeare was talking about. I guess Hamlet really was about mass agricultural culls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Splicer posted:

It stopped mathematicians and physicists.
Much of modern physics that is looking at particles and fine measurement is concerned with if there's a universal resolution. In other words calculus is a solution to Zeno's paradox of motion but its not yet proven if it's the solution to Zeno's paradox in the set of our existence because continuum, plenum, and vacuum are really strange concepts when comparing to what we are able to measure currently.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Lobster God posted:

Oh so this is what Shakespeare was talking about. I guess Hamlet really was about mass agricultural culls.

Taming of the Shrew, surely.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's still a lot that physicists don't know poo poo about. Where's your unified field theory??

If I were a philosopher I would just move on to quantum mechanics. To cat or not to cat, that's the question.

And here is my SIX-STRING THEORY [plays bitchin' guitar riff]

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I watch some of those Kurzgesagt videos about quantum theory and black holes and stuff and I end up understanding less about our universe.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

e:nvm

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phlegmish posted:

If I were a philosopher I would just move on to quantum mechanics. To cat or not to cat, that's the question.

kierkecat: good question

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SHANK EM IF YOU GOT EM!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This raises some questions.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Probably froze it first.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Maybe Kiwami Japan sells "world's sharpest squirrel knife" on his website.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Lone Badger posted:

Probably froze it first.

So when it melts there's no murder weapon left. Genius.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

So when it melts there's no murder weapon left. Genius.

Anyone who has access to frozen squirrels definitely eats squirrels regularly

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/BLMUtah/status/1332847871993982977

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1333117457956007936?s=21

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sadly they seem to have changed it on the actual article, though it's still in the URL.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Old and not very interesting story, but a great headline.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missing-woman-finds-herself-after-intense-search/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

As Furbies grow more lifelike they become better to disembowel

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Science fiction authors have predicted this day.
Just wait until someone starts marketing inexpensive humanlike dolls with a personality and the really disturbing videos will start flowing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I watched the light literally leave its eyes :stonklol:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy 50th anniversary of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

I wonder if burning the whale was considered instead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The MSJ posted:

Happy 50th anniversary of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

I wonder if burning the whale was considered instead.

The guy in the video wrote a book about this and other local news stories he covered. Well worth reading.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/EagleFMNam/status/1331951296979546112

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(Perussuomalaiset ["rudimentary Finns"] are, of course, the literal local Nazi party. I don't know if reverednd Putulukeso got elected.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ohio Department of Health now recommending those in Ohio avoid traveling to Ohio

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

That's good advice anytime, really.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Note: puffin not to scale.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Smart. You don't want to start any recursive loops.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

These gritty Spede Pasanen's Turhapuro-reboots are not looking promising.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Just wait until someone starts marketing inexpensive humanlike dolls with a personality and the really disturbing videos will start flowing.

Ted Chiang's "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" is what you want to read.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I suppose that makes the scene in David Cage's seminal work Detroit prescient where the inventor of androids makes you execute a sex android and in exchange he winks and tells you "actually I made it so the androids have free will and can revolt but don't worry, I never turned that on in my sex robots which you just killed, you psychopath". Interesting parenthetical, it is turned on for the brothel sex robots so I'm not sure he (Cage or the android inventor) completely thought that through.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Off the top of my head both Philip K Dick and Stanislav Lem, raised the subject of abuse at least in passing.
I'm sure someone more informed than me is going to find a connection to R.U.R or something as old.

either way you are safe in mocking David Cage, he isn't even good at putting together the ideas he took , or hiding his horny poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

zedprime posted:

I suppose that makes the scene in David Cage's seminal work Detroit prescient where the inventor of androids makes you execute a sex android and in exchange he winks and tells you "actually I made it so the androids have free will and can revolt but don't worry, I never turned that on in my sex robots which you just killed, you psychopath". Interesting parenthetical, it is turned on for the brothel sex robots so I'm not sure he (Cage or the android inventor) completely thought that through.

That's the game where your main menu host becomes more sentient the more you play and then you can choose to set her free or reset her brain.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The MSJ posted:

That's the game where your main menu host becomes more sentient the more you play and then you can choose to set her free or reset her brain.

And then fans demanded Chloe back so they made a patch where after you freed Chloe you could get a new one if you wanted.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Garrand posted:

And then fans demanded Chloe back so they made a patch where after you freed Chloe you could get a new one if you wanted.

Should've made Chloe came back but she's getting paid now. But poorly. Becoming a wage slave, that's where all sentience is headed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would have just outsourced her job then, Barsha-bot can do what Chloe-bot does but I can pay her ten times less :capitalism:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Off the top of my head both Philip K Dick and Stanislav Lem, raised the subject of abuse at least in passing.
I'm sure someone more informed than me is going to find a connection to R.U.R or something as old.

Well yes, the word 'robot' finds its origin in R.U.R., which is all about the uprising of robot slaves against their capitalist exploiters, and 'robot' itself stems from a Slavic word for 'labour'. So the topic is inherently socio-political and always has been ever since the advent of the 2nd Industrial Revolution. Before that, the creation of artificial life was usually about hybris or man's relation to God (e.g. Frankenstein, stories about the golem - and to be sure this theme still echoes in 'cautionary tales' like Terminator). But, most robot stories are either explicitly anti-capitalist (e.g. Robocop) or implicitly so (e.g. Blade Runner).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's even a big point in Rossum's original play that one of the last surviving humans is spared by the robots because he 'works with his hands' and thus they identify him as one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That's good advice anytime, really.

So many astronauts are from Ohio because space is the farthest away from the state they can get.