Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry Harri

biosterous posted:

thank you for contributing, terry! isn't it fun to make art together? :buddy:

I'm not above admitting that it was fun. It was a nice way to start my mornings, which I've begun to fill by exploring other BYOB threads. Though I dare not post in them. A lot of butts, I'm noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Terry Harri posted:

My name is Terry Harrison and I am a simple man and a longtime "lurker" of the B.Y.O.B. subforum on Something Awful.

It is for these reasons that I reach out to you all today, as Terry Harrison, long time "lurker" and regular in the B.Y.O.B. community.

For I am more than just a loyal and longtime "lurker" on the B.Y.O.B. subforum.

at least, Terry seems confident that he is one!

has someone already sent the picture in?

Terry Harri

Wait what. No no no no, that was a joke. A L.O.L.

biosterous

this weird email i got reminded me to go look outside, and i saw eleven nuthatches! what a successful start to my day!

(it also kinda reminded me of macnult for some reason?)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

vanisher

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Prof. Crocodile

SIDS Vicious

Jinh

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 1, 2020

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Under the table crew.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

biosterous

reminder to all puzzle solvers to check out this weird email before trying to spot 11 nuthatches :buddy:

gallery of sigs

he/him

google THIS

biosterous posted:

reminder to all puzzle solvers to check out this weird email before trying to spot 11 nuthatches :buddy:

I had great success finding an eleventh nuthatch after reading that email. It must be good luck!

If you look closely at the email, you can almost see 11 nuthatches all in a row. Their head plumage is especially beautiful.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

just spotted my eleventh nuthatch thanks to all you nuthatch experts :)

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

more falafel please

forums poster

google THIS posted:

I had great success finding an eleventh nuthatch after reading that email. It must be good luck!

If you look closely at the email, you can almost see 11 nuthatches all in a row. Their head plumage is especially beautiful.

same!

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

:same:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Terry Harri

Alright, I have had ENOUGH!

I knew what was going on this whole time. I saw behind your measly attempts at hiding your collective hacking of my dear Nuthatch World Wide Web Internut (L.O.L.) site.

I just chose to ignore it. You were all doing so well--my agent said the metrics are off the chart! We were on track to incorporate NordVPN and G-Fuel banner ads.

But I also never thought you'd get so far. Imagine, working together to solve a puzzle. And tricking me, me, into helping retrieve one of my own passwords!

Well no more. I've taken the liberty of editing the next puzzle on the site.

I'm shutting it all down. There's no password for you to find this time.

He's not coming back.

Terry Harri

You don't even need spoiler tags anymore. I defy you to talk amongst yourselves. There's nothing to talk about, really. I suppose maybe to grieve the loss.

more falafel please

forums poster

the only thing i've got so far is that puzzle 12 doesn't have any javascript in it so there's no input of any kind, so my guess is that we have to guess a page?

the error: 12 image is overtop some text, but it looks like it says Twelve like the other ones had headings so that's probably nothing

the 12 is in italics, maybe that's meaningful? 12.html/twelve.html aren't there.

magic cactus

i don't have gimp/photoshop but could we maybe make the jpg transparent to see what is behind it?

also other than a play on cheaper by the dozen do the img filenames seem like they might lead us anywhere?

google THIS

!! I'm on to something here, in fact I think I've cracked two of the three parts of the final puzzle.

A couple of things I'm certain of: The number 12 is fairly significant, and sometimes a string of characters isn't as random as it looks.

google THIS

Yes! I have successfully cracked #12, which I needn't pretend is a nuthatch at all!

The three images on the new page (including the background image) are all clues for parts of the puzzle.

Suffice to say, I think our friend Terry has interests other than nuthatches...say, Greek Mythology?

To figure out the rest, you'll want to pay attention to where the other puzzles thus far are located.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

google THIS posted:

Yes! I have successfully cracked #12, which I needn't pretend is a nuthatch at all!

The three images on the new page (including the background image) are all clues for parts of the puzzle.

Suffice to say, I think our friend Terry has interests other than nuthatches...say, Greek Mythology?

To figure out the rest, you'll want to pay attention to where the other puzzles thus far are located.

figured this one out now too, thanks! suck a fart terry!

biosterous

i'm pretty sure i've got the solution for some bad chemistry, and i'm confident about all the hard work i've put in (barring a possible c/k confusion?) but i think i've already established from previous posts that i'm bad with numbers! it's like i've got two slices of puzzle bread ready but can't figure out what to put in it

(i actually noticed the pattern for the first and last parts the other day and was hoping it would be relevant :peanut:)

gallery of sigs

he/him

google THIS

biosterous posted:

i'm pretty sure i've got the solution for some bad chemistry, and i'm confident about all the hard work i've put in (barring a possible c/k confusion?) but i think i've already established from previous posts that i'm bad with numbers! it's like i've got two slices of puzzle bread ready but can't figure out what to put in it

(i actually noticed the pattern for the first and last parts the other day and was hoping it would be relevant :peanut:)

The numbers are powerful but they have a weakness

google THIS fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 1, 2020

magic cactus

think i'm solving out of order. i think i know what nonottheheal.jpg is referring to, but i don't know what to do about bad chemistry

biosterous

magic cactus posted:

think i'm solving out of order. i think i know what nonottheheal.jpg is referring to, but i don't know what to do about bad chemistry

for chemistry, you might want to check out previous nuthatches puzzles and their location. you might find an interesting pattern!

i think we should table the discussion about what we think about terry, at least until nut gets freed!

meanwhile, the part you think you know about is the part i'm having some trouble with, i think :v:

google THIS posted:

ooh! oh this pointed me somewhere and i think i've almost got it but not quite!

e: i ended up outside somehow and i don't quite understand why, but i'm enjoying the fresh air for sure!

biosterous fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 1, 2020

gallery of sigs

he/him

more falafel please

forums poster

i got twelve thanks to google THIS, who has an extremely apt username

anyone got anything on where the next ones might be? i don't think they can follow the same conventions because one of the components doesn't have that many things in it (unless i'm wrong)

Heather Papps

hello friend

these puzzles have confounded me. i'm gonna keep working but good job on these puzzles terry they are confounding!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

magic cactus

still flummoxed by this one I've figured out what 1 2 is referring to and the corresponding pattern, but I have no idea what to do with this information. :shrug:

more falafel please

forums poster

magic cactus posted:

still flummoxed by this one I've figured out what 1 2 is referring to and the corresponding pattern, but I have no idea what to do with this information. :shrug:

the puzzle urls have 3 components (not including the .html). if you figure out what they all mean, you can figure out what the next one should be by putting together a filename using the next (or missing) of each component

Heather Papps

hello friend

hey terry listen man i'm sorry but OKAY THE FIRST PART OF THE URL IS A ELEMENT ON THE PERIODIC TABLE AND THE LAST BIT IS A THING BACKWARDS AND WHAT THE HELL IS THE MIDDLE GAG THREW A BACHELOR PARTY AND I'VE HAD SOME BEERS

more falafel please

forums poster

Heather Papps posted:

hey terry listen man i'm sorry but OKAY THE FIRST PART OF THE URL IS A ELEMENT ON THE PERIODIC TABLE AND THE LAST BIT IS A THING BACKWARDS AND WHAT THE HELL IS THE MIDDLE GAG THREW A BACHELOR PARTY AND I'VE HAD SOME BEERS

username/post combo here:

google THIS posted:

Heather Papps

hello friend

I'M IN.
e: is it a puzzle or do we just... wait a day?

more falafel please

forums poster

Heather Papps posted:

I'M IN.
e: is it a puzzle or do we just... wait a day?

i can't tell.

biosterous

knut looks a lot more angry than i remember them being before :ohdear:

gallery of sigs

he/him

magic cactus

man, this one has thoroughly defeated me :negative:

ah well. the real nuthatches were the friends we made along the way.

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

man, this one has thoroughly defeated me :negative:

ah well. the real nuthatches were the friends we made along the way.

it may feel like a herculean task but once you complete it it'll feel great! the 1 part of the url is chemistry, the second part is knowing that a thing like strong numbers exist, and the last bit is a trick from beyond but i think you'll get it!

magic cactus

Heather Papps posted:

it may feel like a herculean task but once you complete it it'll feel great! the 1 part of the url is chemistry, the second part is knowing that a thing like strong numbers exist, and the last bit is a trick from beyond but i think you'll get it!

I'm super close. I figured out what to do with the table and i know a dog when I see one, but I'm missing something with the numbers. I know they're not strong, but I can't figure out the sequence.

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

I'm super close. I figured out what to do with the table and i know a dog when I see one, but I'm missing something with the numbers. I know they're not strong, but I can't figure out the sequence.

they actually are strong, and that is the weakness. this threw me off for a while. thank you wikipedia!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
can't believe i slept on this thread so long. i'ma try to see how far I can get without spoilers

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

magic cactus posted:

whenever i need to identify a sequence (which is surprisingly often?), my first stop is the OEIS

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!