Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
If I were a person in the DC universe I think I'd probably be skeptical about Superman being an extraterrestrial in the first place, especially if his personal history wasn't public. Like he looks human, speaks perfect English, seems just as likely he's some secret government experiment. Once Aquaman showed up I'd be a full blown conspiracy theorist.

In the DCEU do the public know anything about the Justice League themselves, you see some press around Batman and Superman but is it even implied Clark has done an interview like in the old movies? They've seen Wonder Woman at least, but there weren't cameras around for the end battle right?
Basically what I'm saying is the news papers are definitely calling Diana Superwoman, her costume almost matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its definitely gotta be confusing. You got "aliens" like Supes and Zod, then you got aliens like Doomsday and parademons. Then you have non aliens like Wonder Woman and Flash and Aquaman and half robot aliens in Cyborg? Even if that DID all make cable news and Bruce and Dianna were savvy enough to "manage" it that's gonna challenge a lot of people's best attempts to wrap their minds around the world changing events and yeah, lead to a lot of misunderstanding, suspicion, and conspiracy.

I actually think I haven't seen anyone really tackle how much this stuff would gently caress people up psychologically. We'd have cults, conspiracies, terrorists, militias, everything. People would lose their absolute poo poo if aliens and mermen started showing up wrecking poo poo. People's entire grasps of reality would be flipped eight ways to Sunday. That's part of what I liked about that Alex Jones teaser at the end of Brightburn. I wanna see the movie where people lose their minds about superheroes. Movies touch on it a little but never dive in with how crazy it would really get.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know I've honestly had the idea of a superhero comic that deals with the questionof just what would the geopolitical landscape would look like in a comic book universe.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 2, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

STAC Goat posted:

I actually think I haven't seen anyone really tackle how much this stuff would gently caress people up psychologically. We'd have cults, conspiracies, terrorists, militias, everything. People would lose their absolute poo poo if aliens and mermen started showing up wrecking poo poo. People's entire grasps of reality would be flipped eight ways to Sunday. That's part of what I liked about that Alex Jones teaser at the end of Brightburn. I wanna see the movie where people lose their minds about superheroes. Movies touch on it a little but never dive in with how crazy it would really get.

I mean... you're basically describing a comic universe there.

Certainly explains why they're so busy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You can read Marvels as it sort of goes into all of that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

David D. Davidson posted:

You know I've honestly had the idea of a superhero comic that deals with the questionof just what would the geopolitical landscape would look like in a comic book universe.

Imagine if the balance of superheroes was as America-and-Western-Europe-centric as the comics depict. A new style of colonialism where a guy in a mask and tights is the equivalent of better rifles and a navy or the threat of economic ruination. Even if someone Superman-level decided not to participate in such action, would they be willing or able to keep everyone else in check? Stick a bulletproof guy in a uniform, send him with a spec ops team that lets him take point, and you could get a lot done before word got out that something hinkey was going on.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

In the DCEU do the public know anything about the Justice League themselves, you see some press around Batman and Superman but is it even implied Clark has done an interview like in the old movies?

Lois interviews him after the military detains him, no?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's been a handful of societal level "What if superheroes?" kind of stories, occasionally even from the big two in the form of minor plot threads and one-off and/or AU stories, but the ones I've always tend to turn into an actual superhero comics story instead of an exploration of the hypothetical affects on a world that the concept of superheroes would have. Kingdom Come and Marvels come to mind, along with the alternate historical path that the world ends up taking in Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Story where the cold war escalates because of Iron Man basically being an agent of the US government and Captain America goes AWOL in Nam to fight atrocities regardless of which side is comitting them.

I personally would like a slightly more dry, big ideas, faux-documentary, alternate historical take on the subject that doesn't quite just turn into a regular rear end superhero comic by the end. But then again I'm a weirdo, so I don't know how well that kind of thing would sell.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Imagine if the balance of superheroes was as America-and-Western-Europe-centric as the comics depict. A new style of colonialism where a guy in a mask and tights is the equivalent of better rifles and a navy or the threat of economic ruination. Even if someone Superman-level decided not to participate in such action, would they be willing or able to keep everyone else in check? Stick a bulletproof guy in a uniform, send him with a spec ops team that lets him take point, and you could get a lot done before word got out that something hinkey was going on.

Mark Millar account spotted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

"And it's all oxygen down there but there's a bubbly filter and everyone's hair turns into a bad cg effect"

"Yeah right!"

"And what if I told you octopi could play the drums?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Dawgstar posted:

"And what if I told you octopi could play the drums?"

I'd pedantically lecture you about how "octopodes" is more correct.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Bruceski posted:

My pitch is more The West Wing in a comic book universe.
A Luke Cage pastiche whose history is deeply tied to the Civil Rights movement runs is elected president and now he has to navigate both national and global politics in a comic book universe. There are two or maybe three other world leaders with comic book adjacent pasts, The Prime Minister of the UK is a John Constantine clone who traded cheating demons for politics and Japan's is an Ex-Magical Girl.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

David D. Davidson posted:

My pitch is more The West Wing in a comic book universe.
A Luke Cage pastiche whose history is deeply tied to the Civil Rights movement runs is elected president and now he has to navigate both national and global politics in a comic book universe. There are two or maybe three other world leaders with comic book adjacent pasts, The Prime Minister of the UK is a John Constantine clone who traded cheating demons for politics and Japan's is an Ex-Magical Girl.

I like it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

She's been rumored but she shot it down. I know a lot of the clickbait sites have claimed she was cast but it doesn't sound like it.

https://twitter.com/comingsoonnet/status/1334224776118714368?s=21

Looks like she stumbled onto the hawkeye set and is hanging out with pizza dog by accident, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM2Cb3EgDuI

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's been zero confirmation or even official statements at all until that thing you just linked.

Why wouldn't Disney put out a press release confirming it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

There's been zero confirmation or even official statements at all until that thing you just linked.

Why wouldn't Disney put out a press release confirming it?

My guess is that whatever was keeping her from actually signing up (the apple tv show?) became a non-issue due to the pandemic delays so she's now on board but they were waiting to announce it sometime later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seems very weird. Possibly not wanting another misstep like with She Hulk.

Also you can't even tell that it's her in that footage.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or they wanted to announce it on their own terms. Companies can be stupid like that. Like when Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness and everyone knew Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness but Paramount kept insisting that Benedict Cumberbatch was absolutely not playing Khan in Into Darkness and then Benedict Cumberbatch was totally Khan. In Into Darkness. Like everyone knew he was.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Or they wanted to announce it on their own terms. Companies can be stupid like that. Like when Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness and everyone knew Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness but Paramount kept insisting that Benedict Cumberbatch was absolutely not playing Khan in Into Darkness and then Benedict Cumberbatch was totally Khan. In Into Darkness. Like everyone knew he was.

Arkham Knight is 100% not Jason Todd!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

There's no incentive to hide her identity tho

There's actually a disincentive since you are cutting off a demo to advertise to even

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She posted this on instagram and the Hawkeye directors put 3 hearts there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIPg2lFBjSr/

I assume that Marvel is waiting to announce it and they can't for whatever reason. Or they've planned to drop it all on a date already.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phylodox posted:

Right, but with that we knew Cumberbatch was in the movie. This is more akin to the game of footsie Marvel had with Cumberbatch over Doctor Strange.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

There's no incentive to hide her identity tho

There's actually a disincentive since you are cutting off a demo to advertise to even

Since when do advertising execs behave according to reason as opposed to their egos? The scoop was theirs to drop, and they’re gonna be the ones to drop it, even if they have to deny what everyone knows is true, even if they end up looking foolish in the end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's not even a scoop, it's just a poorly framed phone recording of 15 seconds of a scene being filmed snuck out by some crew member

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I keep forgetting that the Hawkeye series isn't just a Kate Bishop show.
Hope the reason why it's taking so long to get any details/momentum on the series is because they're retooling it to be a Kate Bishop show with Clint cameos.

Covid is the reason why.

I think there were supposed to be at least two of the Marvel shows out on Disney+ by now, but the pandemic slowed things down and with Black Widow getting delayed they can't release any of the TV stuff anyway without loving up story beats.

Bruceski posted:

Isn't this just parts of Watchmen?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

This seems pretty definitive.

https://twitter.com/itsjustanx/status/1334271776826646529?s=19

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That outfit is killer.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I can only imagine (because I refuse to read them) the comments based solely on how she happens to be holding the bow in those between frame/out of context photos.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm so happy they're following/taking from Fraction's run.

That said, I will 100% call the show poo poo forever if there isn't a dedicated Lucky episode

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I like the nobs who are complaining that she isn't comics accurate.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
None of that poo poo matters because Lucky: confirmed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I like the nobs who are complaining that she isn't comics accurate.

Because of... her clothes?

She wears like a dozen different outfits in the comic this is based on.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know it's tired by now, but I'm still stunned I'm alive for a Marvel Universe on screen that has Kate Bishop, but not Reed Richards or Wolverine. I love the MCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

I know it's tired by now, but I'm still stunned I'm alive for a Marvel Universe on screen that has Kate Bishop, but not Reed Richards or Wolverine. I love the MCU.

Those guys will both be in the MCU in the very tangible future so don't die if you can help it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone have the clip of the blade Trinity commentary where he's talking about Snipes refusing to open his eyes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly I'm really thankful the MCU was forced by Marvel's desperate selling off of film properties to use people other than their heavyweights. It's been nice seeing other characters be important.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

Those guys will both be in the MCU in the very tangible future so don't die if you can help it.

I'm trying, but I live in the United States and only half of us are in support of that idea.

I want to see Blade :(

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Because of... her clothes?

She wears like a dozen different outfits in the comic this is based on.

And the critical thing, other than the presence of Lucky, is that the purple she's wearing is perfect.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rantmo posted:

And the critical thing, other than the presence of Lucky, is that the purple she's wearing is perfect.

Yeah it doesn't have the weird hip holes, but like... That's Kate just from a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's probably not her actual costume. But you clearly know it's Kate from that look, so it rules.