Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Empress Brosephine posted:

What should I play on this if I also have a ps5

Old xbox games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What should I play on this if I also have a ps5

Gears 5, and Forza Horizon 4.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Signed up for the Dev-whitelisting for RetroArch, will post a trip report when i get authorised and i set it up.

looking forward to burnout 3 from PS2.

do the emulated games run as they did or are there enhancements?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

do the emulated games run as they did or are there enhancements?

Higher res, stable framerates. Depends on the core using but you should see enhancements on nearly every system

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Do Saturn games run well? Also have I missed the boat on getting in on the emulation stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just signed up so I hope not

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Duckula posted:

Do Saturn games run well? Also have I missed the boat on getting in on the emulation stuff.

Saturn is tricky to emulate so if they get it running well, I'll be super impressed

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do emulators work with joysticks?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every video shows Saturn running smooth and well. Saturn emulation in general improved a lot in the 5(?) years.

Also Yakuza 7 is something you should be playing on Series as it has the patch for loading PS5 wont get till next year

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone tried Panzer Dragoon Saga yet 👀

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Duckula posted:

I just signed up so I hope not

the discord said its been extended to next sunday (the one after this one coming) so get on the whitelist while you can.

I predict you may be able to sell gamertags/consoles that are whitelisted once the whitelist closes and or it gets taken down.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, if there’s a mass effect read please redirect me there, tangentially related in that I bought it on sale on Xbox. What was the main issues people had with mass effect Andromeda? Granted I only paid 10 bucks for it, but I kind of like the whole settling and space colonization in a new Galaxy. I’ve only just landed on my first post docking mission, but it seems kind of cool.

I’ll admit it seems like another game about space colonization with a coat of Mass Effect and the lack of being able to change the text size and no Neil Ross sucks rear end. Not good rear end mind you, but Eric Trump rear end.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What are you talking about a whitelist? Just unlock dev mode yourself and install it now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay, if there’s a mass effect read please redirect me there, tangentially related in that I bought it on sale on Xbox. What was the main issues people had with mass effect Andromeda? Granted I only paid 10 bucks for it, but I kind of like the whole settling and space colonization in a new Galaxy. I’ve only just landed on my first post docking mission, but it seems kind of cool.

I’ll admit it seems like another game about space colonization with a coat of Mass Effect and the lack of being able to change the text size and no Neil Ross sucks rear end. Not good rear end mind you, but Eric Trump rear end.

The story is nothing special and there was/are a lot of funny visual bugs that make the game look ridiculous.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It launched super buggy and was way scaled down than the previous games is my understanding. I think a lot of issues have been solved but the stink remained and now it's just memefodder and everyone exaggerating how horrible it is. I didn't play ME 3 though so maybe thats all valid criticism idk

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't played it since launch but I kinda remember the main character was really badly animated or something

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The story is nothing special and there was/are a lot of funny visual bugs that make the game look ridiculous.

Assuming the bugs and facial stuff has been fixed? Decent game that if it had been a different IP or name attached...probably would have been better received?

Still can’t understand why you can’t make the text larger.

I might have to try the magnifier option...if I can figure it out. I had a friend who needed it when playing Death Stranding and I actually played on a smaller screen pre patch so I could read all the (batshit crazy) lore.

Nuts and Gum posted:

It launched super buggy and was way scaled down than the previous games is my understanding. I think a lot of issues have been solved but the stink remained and now it's just memefodder and everyone exaggerating how horrible it is. I didn't play ME 3 though so maybe thats all valid criticism idk

Mass Effect 3...barring the very very end was a really good game (well ignoring how you initial had to play MP...which was not bad...to get an optimal ending). The gameplay is really solid and the characters and interactions are fantastic. Hell even just background chatter on the citadel that occurs over multiple visits is great. Plus you don’t even need to do the multiplayer now and you can just use the N7HQ webpage to of your military readiness.

It’s pretty much fumbling the ball at the 1 yard line.

Edit: also the grand scale of everything is amazing watching the Turian homeworld in the background on an early mission or the initial attack on Earth is fantastic.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 2, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Assuming the bugs and facial stuff has been fixed? Decent game that if it had been a different IP or name attached...probably would have been better received?

Still can’t understand why you can’t make the text larger.

I might have to try the magnifier option...if I can figure it out. I had a friend who needed it when playing Death Stranding and I actually played on a smaller screen pre patch so I could read all the (batshit crazy) lore.

It has a lot of the same issues as other Bioware stuff but without the characters and setting everybody loved.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

What are you talking about a whitelist? Just unlock dev mode yourself and install it now.

the whitelist is the retroarch developer adding your gamertag so that you can run the retroarch stuff in non-dev mode and costs nothing so you dont need to switch back to play retail games.

i dont even really have even a passing interest in emulation but i figured why not get on something while the getting is good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It's kinda embarrasing how the series x feels like a upgrade compared to the ps5..like the ui is the same, the controller is also.

You're supposed to play 1000 hours of skate 3 not look at the blurry 1080p menu

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It has a lot of the same issues as other Bioware stuff but without the characters and setting everybody loved.

Yeah I have a feeling if they just called it Andromeda and said just and did new species, it wouldn’t be as big an issue.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Laserface posted:

the whitelist is the retroarch developer adding your gamertag so that you can run the retroarch stuff in non-dev mode and costs nothing so you dont need to switch back to play retail games.

i dont even really have even a passing interest in emulation but i figured why not get on something while the getting is good?
The retroarch dev is dumb and is going to get their account banned and then no one can play any games.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

The retroarch dev is dumb and is going to get their account banned and then no one can play any games.

didnt I say exactly this like 3 days ago and yall laughed at me for thinking Nintendo/Sony/Sega might ask them kindly to not allow piracy of their games on a competing console?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Andromeda is fine. Combat is really fun but they did a bad job with the setting. The Kett are boring and uninspired. I hope they stick out in Andromeda because it could be really good they just need to have a better vision of the game and not have to remake it in 18 months.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Laserface posted:

didnt I say exactly this like 3 days ago and yall laughed at me for thinking Nintendo/Sony/Sega might ask them kindly to not allow piracy of their games on a competing console?
Microsoft will absolutely ban a developer account who is whitelisting access to an emulator. They don't give a drat if you enable developer mode and install that same emulator yourself though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Laserface posted:

Signed up for the Dev-whitelisting for RetroArch, will post a trip report when i get authorised and i set it up.

How do you do this and is there a chance my account gets banned?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Seltzer posted:

There's a google form linked in a discord where you punch in your email address and the dev eventually whitelists it. Then you load up a page in the Xbox browser and download the retail Retroarch, PPSSPP, and FTP apps. They keep extending the deadline to do it, and there are 6000+ addresses already whitelisted. I'm not sure if it violates any SA rules to link the discord so I won't do so, but I was able to find it myself with only minimal googling.

As for ban risk to the end user, probably minimal. The dev will almost certainly have the store pages removed for violating Xbox store rules, although they have done this several times before and even their account wasn't banned. I rolled the dice on it and got whitelisted, because the 2GB limit in dev mode may never be removed and the 16GB offered by the retail was too enticing. Hopefully I'm not flying too close to the sun, but we'll see!

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I loaded up my Switch today after playing my Series X since launch day. Even the UI is a blurry eye-rape. Guess it's my portable only now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
What the crap? Morrowind is still $15 in the store? I'll just grab Oblivion and play it for the hour I would have spent on Morrowind :-|

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tensai posted:

What the crap? Morrowind is still $15 in the store? I'll just grab Oblivion and play it for the hour I would have spent on Morrowind :-|

For a good laugh look at DLC for Mass Effect 3. Still full price for each single player one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can wait until Morrowind becomes first party and gets slapped onto gamepass, but like, also just play it on PC.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

You can wait until Morrowind becomes first party and gets slapped onto gamepass, but like, also just play it on PC.

Wait people actually play Morrowind? I thought the purpose of it was to mod the hell out of it for 10 hours, find a way to get it to work, and then play 15 minutes and never touch it again.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I’ve been playing it on my Series X and I think it looks fantastic and it loads instantly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone know where I can get a longer hdmi cord for this thing

Also what bc games are the best on xbox x

How long are we talking here? And do you need to retain 120fps or VRR support or not?

HDMI 2.0 cables (18Gbps, for 4K60 max with no VRR) aren't difficult to find on like Amazon or whatever in whatever length you want, I found some 200ft cables for a little over $100USD and you can get basically whatever length you want between like 1.5ft and 100ft easily too.

HDMI 2.1 cables (48Gbps, for 120fps and VRR) go up in price pretty sharply once they get longer than like 10 feet or thereabouts. I did manage to find a 50-foot cable for $100 though.

Also for what it's worth the consensus by and large is that if you're doing HDMI 2.1 stuff you want a single cable going from your console or whatever to your TV with nothing in between, not even like a keystone jack or anything like that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For a good laugh look at DLC for Mass Effect 3. Still full price for each single player one.

ME3 was released right before every publisher under the sun decided to embrace season passes as standard, but it's weird that EA never added a "all-in-one pack" option. I guess they knew the dedicated fans would buy them all anyway, so why give a discount?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Seltzer posted:

Probably not, but I'm paranoid as poo poo as handing over information to some random guy who now has 6000+ email addresses, who knows what info they get from your microsoft details and discord name.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The PS5 UI has grown on me, but it still needs some work. Themes are not supported and I miss my corn roasting theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2HIbvMEz4

I had corn roast on ps3 and ps4. I will not be purchasing a PS5 until corn roast is available for purchase. :colbert:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

ghostinmyshell posted:

Probably not, but I'm paranoid as poo poo as handing over information to some random guy who now has 6000+ email addresses, who knows what info they get from your microsoft details and discord name.

Yea..... I just want to try out the emulation without switching back and forth between dev mode. Maybe it's too greedy... I kinda think the emulation news will blow over and nothing will happen because only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of people will know about it and even less use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

How long are we talking here? And do you need to retain 120fps or VRR support or not?

HDMI 2.0 cables (18Gbps, for 4K60 max with no VRR) aren't difficult to find on like Amazon or whatever in whatever length you want, I found some 200ft cables for a little over $100USD and you can get basically whatever length you want between like 1.5ft and 100ft easily too.

HDMI 2.1 cables (48Gbps, for 120fps and VRR) go up in price pretty sharply once they get longer than like 10 feet or thereabouts. I did manage to find a 50-foot cable for $100 though.

Also for what it's worth the consensus by and large is that if you're doing HDMI 2.1 stuff you want a single cable going from your console or whatever to your TV with nothing in between, not even like a keystone jack or anything like that.

Thanks this is all helpful. I only need one maybe a foot longer than the included one.