Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

adaptations have such a major effect on how their source material can come off that the 2003 kino's journey convinced a ton of people kino's journey was a philosophical journey and not a light novel series by a guy who really likes guns with a spinoff manga where kino is a high school magical girl, with a gun

remember when make my abilities average in the next life's anime added a predatory lesbian for literally no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Aw yesss, Talentless Nana is really kicking off now. Best character reveal had me so hyped.

I was wondering who that guy was in the OP. I thought it was the teacher. But then I thought how dumb/cliché it would be to make him the final boss. Now, I'm just confused and that makes me more invested. >_>

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was messed up. Also how they skipped the entire first arc of the light novels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, given how the goons who have read the novels + watching the anime and are witnessing the apparent wild-rear end decisions the anime adaptation is taking, kinda makes me wonder what's up with the method to the series runners' madness.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

remember when make my abilities average in the next life's anime added a predatory lesbian for literally no reason

SURE DO. God I really really hated that adaptation

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are there any recent LN adaptations that improve the source material aside from KyoAni?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Are there any recent LN adaptations that improve the source material aside from KyoAni?

Shield Hero apparently did, in the 'turd polished to an impressive lustre' sense.

A lot of light novels that get adapted into anime are pretty crap, so it's not hard for their animated versions to be a step up. Now, actual good shows that make solid source material better? Those are rarer. I hear good things about Sleepy Princess this season, though.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

the re;zero LNs arent bad but the anime did a lot for it and was a clear labor of love.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't read the Bofuri novel but I could see its anime being an improvement simply by having good action scenes - even well written novels tend to struggle with action, in my experience.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I haven't read the Bofuri novel but I could see its anime being an improvement simply by having good action scenes - even well written novels tend to struggle with action, in my experience.

Yeah, Bofuri was an excellent adaptation. That's a story that benefits a lot from showing rather than telling in both its humour and its action.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, here's an obvious one: I could make a reasonable argument that Adachi And Shimamura's anime improves on the novels. It doesn't make any real narrative changes and it's not even a super-lavish production, but the storyboards are just good enough to get the key ideas across IMO and the casting is basically perfect. Yashiro in particular is a character that benefits greatly from being able to see and hear her in all her casual absurdity IMO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Shield Hero apparently did, in the 'turd polished to an impressive lustre' sense.

A lot of light novels that get adapted into anime are pretty crap, so it's not hard for their animated versions to be a step up. Now, actual good shows that make solid source material better? Those are rarer. I hear good things about Sleepy Princess this season, though.

I haven't read the manga, but Sleepy Princess has been basically anime Looney Tunes. Or possibly a set of Animaniacs shorts. If you're not watching it already, you absolutely should because it's funny as hell.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't read the manga, but Sleepy Princess has been basically anime Looney Tunes. Or possibly a set of Animaniacs shorts. If you're not watching it already, you absolutely should because it's funny as hell.

Confirm best show of the season. Tag line text currently under construction.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
From this year alone, Bofuri, Sleepy Princess and Nana are all better in anime format than manga.

In order:
Bofuri - benefits from better action scenes and montage sections, especially that montage music setting up for the final one.
Sleepy princess - The quest introductions are beautiful, and the humor works far better here.
Nana - Nana's double voice, color filters, and the double face imagery all stand out compared to the manga.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 1, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eeepies posted:

From this year alone, Bofuri, Sleepy Princess and Nana are all better in anine format than manga.

In order:
Bofuri - benefits from better action scenes and montage sections, especially that montage music setting up for the final one.
Sleepy princess - The quest introductions are beautiful, and the humor works far better here.
Nana - Nana's double voice, color filters, and the double face imagery all stand out compared to the manga.

Are the RPG quest introductions new to the anime? They really do bring it all together nicely :allears:

Also the OP is an absolute banger to boot.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How the hell did AOT S4 manage to start airing three weeks early?

Darth Walrus posted:

I hear good things about Sleepy Princess this season, though.

You don't say

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 2, 2020

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sleepy Princess has always been hilarious but the last two episodes have been going legitimate places.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, sleepy princess has been the sleeper hit (heh) of the season for me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Confirm best show of the season. Tag line text currently under construction.

Tag line fixed! Thanks, Julias!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a drat fine AV, Nu. drat fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Boy they really weren't kidding about that "unsuitable for young viewers" warning with the latest Elaina, huh? :stonk:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The funny thing is that story wasn't even terribly graphic in the book. It's the same basic sequence of events but as far as the actual violence goes the descriptions are fairly bland wrt the violence, mostly asserting that there was a lot of blood and that Serena made lots of scary noises but not lingering nearly as hard on each individual lovingly rendered chunk of gristle as the anime decided to. Even acknowledging that story as easily my least favorite of the stuff TL'd so far, the novel's version was more just goofy than grotesque. IMO

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

The funny thing is that story wasn't even terribly graphic in the book. It's the same basic sequence of events but as far as the actual violence goes the descriptions are fairly bland wrt the violence, mostly asserting that there was a lot of blood and that Serena made lots of scary noises but not lingering nearly as hard on each individual lovingly rendered chunk of gristle as the anime decided to. Even acknowledging that story as easily my least favorite of the stuff TL'd so far, the novel's version was more just goofy than grotesque. IMO

There was zero reason to show the young girl's lifelessly-staring severed head and corpse on the ground, the whole point of a cutaway shot is to, you know, not show what you actually cut away from. Especially when it sold the scene perfectly by cutting to the clock striking the hour.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also there was zero build to that scene as well.A competent director would of used some horror style shot framing to build tension to the reveal but the episode did none of that. It was just bam, violence, and as it had no build it just had no weight beyond a cheap shock

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've honestly been a bit of an apologist for Elaina's Journey, and even in the depths of despair I still see that the show could be going somewhere, doing something with the character writing. Like this story could be a watershed moment for Elaina: I'm this much of a fuckup, I need to grow into something better or else more suffering will occur. Like this show could turn into a comfy version of Witcher, or a fluffy version of Mushi-shi, Gerlaina going around breaking curses and solving problems.

But this episode was a colossal setback that I'm not sure you could even recover from. The well is poisoned, the curse has set in too deep.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Moriarty and Nana are good for Mind Game Mondays. The two antiheroes just can't help but be sus wherever they can be. Obviously Moriarty in-story can't possibly know who Sherlock is and the threat he represents, but in his arrogance and willingness to show-off his smarts in response to someone else flashing their own intelligence, he ends up signalling how sus he is. And now he performed a direct attack on Sherlock, giving them obvious clues, in a "test", which does nothing but cue them in that he is an actual threat and will be monitored.

At this point it's about exalting Moriarty, and not empowering the working class. But that's par for the course. If only Moriarty read theory.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Julias posted:

Yeah, sleepy princess has been the sleeper hit (heh) of the season for me.

I made the exact same lazy joke in Sleepy Princess thread first, I demand retribution for this outrageous felony :mad:

Phobophilia posted:

Moriarty and Nana are good for Mind Game Mondays. The two antiheroes just can't help but be sus wherever they can be. Obviously Moriarty in-story can't possibly know who Sherlock is and the threat he represents, but in his arrogance and willingness to show-off his smarts in response to someone else flashing their own intelligence, he ends up signalling how sus he is. And now he performed a direct attack on Sherlock, giving them obvious clues, in a "test", which does nothing but cue them in that he is an actual threat and will be monitored.

At this point it's about exalting Moriarty, and not empowering the working class. But that's par for the course. If only Moriarty read theory.

Yeah, I was wondering how were they going to reconcile Moriarty's ideals with his place in Holmesverse. Because Holmes could just try to maintain status quo in opposition to Moriarty's anarchic inclinations but Moriarty's plans get more and more vague and now they're just having a dick measuring contest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

macabresca posted:

I made the exact same lazy joke in Sleepy Princess thread first, I demand retribution for this outrageous felony :mad:
Make a case and I'll consider it. :colbert:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

macabresca posted:

Look, if you wanna Demon Teddy Bear pillow shipped from a not-so-secret santa for christmas, just lemme know. :colbert:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Wark Say posted:

Make a case and I'll consider it. :colbert:

Oh I will consult the poo poo out of bajilion lawyers, just you wait

Grouchio posted:

Look, if you wanna Demon Teddy Bear pillow shipped from a not-so-secret santa for christmas, just lemme know. :colbert:

Can I have a Demon Teddy Bear instead, shipped with undying loyalty in exchange for brushing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

macabresca posted:

Can I have a Demon Teddy Bear instead, shipped with undying loyalty in exchange for brushing?

One of the most horrifying things I've ever seen in anime was Sya looking at that dear sweet Teddy Demon with their big innocent eyes and seriously considering killing it for its fluff. That scene could've gone either way and I was almost more surprised she didn't :suspense:.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I went in thinking she's a complete psychopath but she does have some layers! Like liking cute things just as much as sleeping!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1334833690321416193

weren't there a bunch of people on here clamoring for a hockey anime

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Paging Furnaceface

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Caught up on Akudama Drive, and goddamn it continues to be amazing :suspense:. I didn't notice til episode 6, but the rocket they use is the same design as the Danganronpa one used to Punish the Headmaster :allears:. It's also really nice to see Swindler just accept and own the fact she's an Akudama now instead of regressing into a moralizing mess like some characters do, just violently murdering the poo poo out of people when she has to. And Cuthroat too :stare:.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How did Attack on Titan Season 4 manage to start airing 3-4 weeks before the rest of Winter 2021?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Julias posted:

Paging Furnaceface

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How did Attack on Titan Season 4 manage to start airing 3-4 weeks before the rest of Winter 2021?

It was announced for the fall season, so it really aired two months late.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUE0OyXWMuo

The reason most likely is that it will have some nonstandard amount of episodes, and they want the end of the anime to line up with the end of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

probably the earliest mappa could deliver it without killing their employees