Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
NewsDemon is switching to UsenetExpress and then eventually their own backbone. They reset everyone's blocks back to the original amount. I had 1.5TB left of the 4 I bought last year so I bought 4 more with the BF deal so I wouldn't run out. Now I have 8TB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

NewsDemon is switching to UsenetExpress and then eventually their own backbone.

Well that's bad news. NGD did the same thing a while back and immediately became terrible.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rufus Ping posted:

Podman now has a built-in auto-update feature you might like to check out

I began testing that a couple days ago. I can’t tell if it works yet, but it requires letting podman write your systemd file for you, and the ones it writes causes an error message on certain containers. I’m a novice and don’t know enough of how to check logs etc yet to file a bug report, but it involves very common/popular images so I’m sure someone knows or else it’s my problem.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Former Human posted:

Well that's bad news. NGD did the same thing a while back and immediately became terrible.

Hm bummer. I overextended myself a bit and have Frugal, Demon AND Eweka now, pretty sure I don't need all 3 and that Frugal and Demon are largely redundant to each other. Would be nice if Demon diversified itself and actually acted as a 3rd source/backbone, but I don't know how likely that is, I wasn't around for the NGD thing so I don't know how they changed. Assuming completions just tanked?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

Assuming completions just tanked?

Completion and retention went in the toilet. Probably speeds too, I can't recall. UsenetExpress is not known for being a good backbone, and that's what NewsDemon is now on too.

NewsDemon used to have 4200 days retention on Omicron, but now it's down to 3000 days on UsenetExpress.

Right now there is the phenomenon where groups will list millions of headers but max out at retrieving one million. Retention doesn't go by the age of articles but by the number of headers. Hopefully that means they're still backfilling, though.

At the moment I'm also getting a bunch of article not found errors (they're 100% on Eweka). Maybe NewsDemon will get the kinks worked out but it doesn't look promising.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Would be nice if Demon diversified itself and actually acted as a 3rd source/backbone, but I don't know how likely that is, I wasn't around for the NGD thing so I don't know how they changed. Assuming completions just tanked?

Sounds like ND wants to be their own backbone eventually...

It's bonkers to me that companies can make money in this business charging people a couple bucks a month and likely needing ungodly amounts of storage and bandwidth. Would love to learn more about the economics of it though...

cr0y fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 2, 2020

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I checked my account page on NewsDemon and it reset my block plan to 10GB. It was about 4TB originally (I was a refugee from NGD) and I certainly hadn't used it all. Their account settings are screwed up at the moment too.

So if anyone is in the market for a new provider, just get a cheap Highwinds reseller.

RIP NewsDemon.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

cr0y posted:

It's bonkers to me that companies can make money in this business charging people a couple bucks a month and likely needing ungodly amounts of storage and bandwidth. Would love to learn more about the economics of it though...

Storage and bandwidth are way cheaper than they used to be, despite what an abusive opiate addict leeching off a website for the last 20 years may have told you

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Xaris posted:

Which one is that?

Watchtower. Go here: https://containrrr.dev/watchtower/

The websites has complete docs that will help you set it up.

I have it configured to automatically update daily at midnight, restart containers and delete the old images. I have these 3 environmental variables set but you can also use command line parameters:

code:
TZ	                Whatever/Whatever
WATCHTOWER_CLEANUP	true
WATCHTOWER_SCHEDULE	0 0 0 * * *
Docs for these variables:
https://containrrr.dev/watchtower/arguments/#time_zone
https://containrrr.dev/watchtower/arguments/#cleanup
https://containrrr.dev/watchtower/arguments/#scheduling

You can also tell it to ignore certain containers etc. One thing I will say is that automatic updating of images/containers make the image tag you're using more important. Usually I use "latest" for everything but using that for databases is a really bad idea unless you like a bunch of broken containers and having to rollback your databases (probably a very bad idea). I know because I set my PostgreSQL to latest and it updated automatically from 12 to 13, breaking my poo poo. Oops!

norp posted:

https://hub.docker.com/r/v2tec/watchtower
Looks like it's been abandoned, although maybe it's simple enough that it hasn't needed an update in 3 years.

Seems like the author maintains the image themselves: https://github.com/containrrr/watchtower

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

lordfrikk posted:

Seems like the author maintains the image themselves: https://github.com/containrrr/watchtower

Like I said - I don't use docker for much, literally just because home assistant was annoying to get running on freebsd so I put it on an Ubuntu Machine I use for tvheadend

Its highly likely I followed a random guide and used a fork of the project

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While I can understand being able to issue a command that makes containers automatically pull a new image and rebuild themselves, I can't get behind having that happen entirely hands-off automated as Watchtower does. Docker kind of has a busted security model that requires administrators to exercise caution and Watchtower takes it out of their hands in a way that just seems too scary to me. You're essentially giving a whole bunch of different software authors the reservation to run whatever software they please on your system with actions that are processed through a daemon that runs in root, and if one of the containers ever becomes malicious or something you'll probably auto-update to it unawares.

Just use
docker-compose up --force-recreate --build -d
when you want to update. It doesn't even have to be a deliberate act from the person who put together your image, if just one of those layers is hosed you're involuntarily onboarding and running it with superuser so at least control when and why you want to update containers that are working fine instead of just taking a "version number = higher = good" approach.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 3, 2020

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Anyone know an operator that's renting machines in Charlotte?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

bort posted:

Huh?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

bort posted:

Nah, post on a newsgroup, you might have some luck

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Hm bummer. I overextended myself a bit and have Frugal, Demon AND Eweka now, pretty sure I don't need all 3 and that Frugal and Demon are largely redundant to each other. Would be nice if Demon diversified itself and actually acted as a 3rd source/backbone, but I don't know how likely that is, I wasn't around for the NGD thing so I don't know how they changed. Assuming completions just tanked?

Frugal and Demon were selling the same Omicron servers (although frugal also has usenetfarm server to) but now Demon is usenet express (which sucks btw) so now they arent redundant but i really dont see why you would need demon anymore. the retention blows and i dont think it will have anything that frugal doe snot already have either on the omicron servers or the usenet farm server (not to mention eweka).

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Eweka uses Omicron as well. Eweka's main advantage is that they follow NTD rules instead of DMCA. Their speeds aren't great for North American customers, being in Europe and all, and they have the same retention as most other Omicron resellers (currently 4489 days). They also don't offer block plans. Maybe their completion is a little better than other services but I haven't tested it.

I like to have a second service for bandwidth reasons.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SlipperyNipple posted:

Frugal and Demon were selling the same Omicron servers (although frugal also has usenetfarm server to) but now Demon is usenet express (which sucks btw) so now they arent redundant but i really dont see why you would need demon anymore. the retention blows and i dont think it will have anything that frugal doe snot already have either on the omicron servers or the usenet farm server (not to mention eweka).

Well, poo poo. My primary was NewsDemon and my block account (which I'm now realizing has seen very little use) was NGD, which I also didn't know changed. Guess it's time to jump ship. The $30 Frugal deal seems to be gone, but $40 doesn't feel terrible. Should I leap on that?

Also, should I still get a new block account with Frugal? ViperNews looks interesting since they're neither Omicron nor Express.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Craptacular! posted:

While I can understand being able to issue a command that makes containers automatically pull a new image and rebuild themselves, I can't get behind having that happen entirely hands-off automated as Watchtower does. Docker kind of has a busted security model that requires administrators to exercise caution and Watchtower takes it out of their hands in a way that just seems too scary to me. You're essentially giving a whole bunch of different software authors the reservation to run whatever software they please on your system with actions that are processed through a daemon that runs in root, and if one of the containers ever becomes malicious or something you'll probably auto-update to it unawares.

Just use
docker-compose up --force-recreate --build -d
when you want to update. It doesn't even have to be a deliberate act from the person who put together your image, if just one of those layers is hosed you're involuntarily onboarding and running it with superuser so at least control when and why you want to update containers that are working fine instead of just taking a "version number = higher = good" approach.

Good point, I can only agree with that! I accepted that poo poo will break when I started to use Watchtower and it has but I don't mind that much because the time saved on all the containers I'm running was worth it. I only had PostgreSQL and Nextcloud break, both on major version upgrades, which I am now more mindful of. Containers from more established providers like Linux Server should minimize all sorts of problems but they won't ever prevent the user being dumb like me.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Well, poo poo. My primary was NewsDemon and my block account (which I'm now realizing has seen very little use) was NGD, which I also didn't know changed. Guess it's time to jump ship. The $30 Frugal deal seems to be gone, but $40 doesn't feel terrible. Should I leap on that?

Also, should I still get a new block account with Frugal? ViperNews looks interesting since they're neither Omicron nor Express.

$40 frugal also gives the blocknews account to for high retention and then the usenetfarm bonus server of course. i guess see how it works for you and go from there? ive never really seen much difference between viper and farm to be honest.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Why all the hate for UsenetExpress? I’ve been using them as my primary provider for a couple years and it’s pretty rare that my download client falls back to my backup block account.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I'm guessing free-usenet has gone, the dodgy service stealing people who would repackage unlimited accounts from other providers into block accounts. No spam in my inbox for a while and the domain just instantly goes nowhere. I didn't realise they were suss when I bought some blocks with them back a few years ago, typically I would find this out just after everyone has wrapped up their sales! (I'll see how I am without it, I really didn't use much from it as newshosting + obfuscation has been excellent the last year or two).

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Lawen posted:

Why all the hate for UsenetExpress? I’ve been using them as my primary provider for a couple years and it’s pretty rare that my download client falls back to my backup block account.

if you are automated and usually download everything as its posted UE is fine, really any server will be fine. Try downloading random poo poo from a few days old to their claimed "3000 days" retention and it will be a huge crap shoot.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

disaster pastor posted:

If I were starting from scratch I would get Frugal, but if you want to spend a little less the $20 Newshosting deal is still active https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?promo=best-usenet-deal-ever

It's the same backbone that NewsDemon used to be on.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've got 50gb download that failed, despite SAB verifying it correctly. When I try to manually unzip with 7-zip, it tells me that it "can not open file xxx as an archive". When I searched for that error someone recommended a tool called Yodot, and when I pointed that to the rar file it said it wasn't valid.

But the nzb has quite a few downloads and no weird comments, so I'm wondering if there's something on my side I could do. I'd much rather not have to download another 50gb on my lovely connection. I grabbed the PAR files and I'm running QuickPar against it, but I'm expecting that to come out ok since SAB verified it. What else should I try?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

Series runtime is 0, unable to validate size until it is available

This is really starting to bug. Posts suggest you can get around it by setting 0bytes as your minimum size but opens the chance for bad poo poo to come in. I'm on MacOS so less likely to affect me, but still a pain in the butt. Apparently, as usual, it's TVDB who are the issue.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
I just upgraded from Supernews to Eweka after not touching my usenet setup for a few years.

Would it be a good idea to pick up a new indexer or two as well? I'm currently on Nzb.su and Nzbcat and I'm having a hard time figuring out if they're good or not, or if there are better options out there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Tax Oddity posted:

I just upgraded from Supernews to Eweka after not touching my usenet setup for a few years.

Same here, along with finally adding a block account with the cube net. Stupid not to save $50/yr, even if it is only for the first year.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

So I'm guessing free-usenet has gone, the dodgy service stealing people who would repackage unlimited accounts from other providers into block accounts. No spam in my inbox for a while and the domain just instantly goes nowhere. I didn't realise they were suss when I bought some blocks with them back a few years ago, typically I would find this out just after everyone has wrapped up their sales! (I'll see how I am without it, I really didn't use much from it as newshosting + obfuscation has been excellent the last year or two).

seems that way. I bought 2TB (and got 2TB free) so im a bit annoyed.

oh well.

whos a good block provider besides blocknews who seem very expensive and previously i moved away from as they were getting lots of incompletes

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

cr0y posted:

I decided to check this thread because my speeds, with ND as my primary provider, have been kinda bad the past few days, guess I got my answer.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tax Oddity posted:

Would it be a good idea to pick up a new indexer or two as well? I'm currently on Nzb.su and Nzbcat and I'm having a hard time figuring out if they're good or not, or if there are better options out there.

if you can't find stuff, then you need more or different. i do suggest getting NZBGeek (they sell lifetime accounts for pretty cheap) as well because it has a lot on there and aggregates some. DrunkenSlug is also very solid as well.

and yeah Eweka is great especially if you buy it on sale which happens a few times a year. if people are only going to do 1 provider (and not blocks), eweka would be the go-to jsut because I've found most other providers are DMCA'd to hell and back so finding even marginally old poo poo can be a problem. only downside is speeds will max around ~35 MB/s which is still really good and probably good enough for most people's NAS/ISP.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 7, 2020

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Laserface posted:

whos a good block provider

http://thecubenet.com/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tax Oddity posted:

I use nzbplanet.net

Not sure if it is "open" right now.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Neat, thanks. I'll try to grab a nzb lifetime account when they have their next sale, looks like it'll happen on the 20th.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Just signed up for a $6 block account since I've had several failures recently with newsdemon. Just retried two downloads and thecubenet successfully completed both.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Violator posted:

Just signed up for a $6 block account since I've had several failures recently with newsdemon. Just retried two downloads and thecubenet successfully completed both.

Do block accounts help with stuff that's "zapped" by the DMCA? Or are there usenet providers that ignore them or something?

I'm having a lot of difficulty downloading a certain TV show that never even got a DVD or streaming release and it's aggravating me to no end. Why this company cares about VHS rips is beyond me, but they do (it's definitely not a retention issue).

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think the idea is that different providers have different odds of actually having the files so more than one provider increases your chances of things working. The block plans are just more affordable since you’re only using them as a backup to your main provider so you burn through them less.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Is there some provider out there that just DGAF and has everything (or mostly everything), even if they charge a premium? I haven't had any errors/issues on the things I get, but who knows.. I'm just glad I have it all automated now and I think my setup just grabs it before it disappears.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Do block accounts help with stuff that's "zapped" by the DMCA? Or are there usenet providers that ignore them or something?

Following a DMCA, the provider usually nukes a percentage of the fileparts to make it impossible to get a working copy from them. If a different provider does the same thing, but hits a different set of fileparts you can build a working copy between the two.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bank posted:

Is there some provider out there that just DGAF and has everything (or mostly everything), even if they charge a premium? I haven't had any errors/issues on the things I get, but who knows.. I'm just glad I have it all automated now and I think my setup just grabs it before it disappears.

Eweka by far has been the best at making sure poo poo gets filled when all else fails. They don't follow DMCA and have an "NTD" policy which means DMCA bots can't just up and spam poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Following a DMCA, the provider usually nukes a percentage of the fileparts to make it impossible to get a working copy from them. If a different provider does the same thing, but hits a different set of fileparts you can build a working copy between the two.

Thank you!

Xaris posted:

Eweka by far has been the best at making sure poo poo gets filled when all else fails. They don't follow DMCA and have an "NTD" policy which means DMCA bots can't just up and spam poo poo.

Ah crap, I just re-upped UsenetServer for a year.

Can I use Eweka in the US? Sorry if it's a dumb question, their prices are in Euros and they mention all over their site that they are "great for Europeans" so I didn't know if it like, they simply don't work in the US or something.