Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Update on my dead X1X:
With a local repair shop declaring it unrecoverable after playing with for a week, my Xbox One X seems to have revived itself with the latest OSU1 offline update to rs_xbox_release_2011.201117-2300 (from a weird Xbox Insider release that was completely unbootable - 19041.4402.amd64fre.vb_release_xbox_dev_2010.201023-1840). I loving hate technology sometimes.

Moral of the story - stay out of Xbox Insider. And I'm lucky I had my games on an external HDD. Otherwise you might be out $250 of Microsoft repair tax to fix their broken software. Even used X1X's are up in the ~$250 range right now, close to XSS, what's up with that?

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

ErrEff posted:

ME3 was released right before every publisher under the sun decided to embrace season passes as standard, but it's weird that EA never added a "all-in-one pack" option. I guess they knew the dedicated fans would buy them all anyway, so why give a discount?

Even shittier, they released a mass effect trilogy box set with all three games. No DLC included. I finally broke down and bought it all a few years ago, and it went on sale a week later. MS refunded me the difference.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I can now fully appreciate this breakdown of that track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxxDOziOoY

When that music kicked in I couldn't help but grin like an idiot, it's such an over the top game in the best way possible, totally lives up to the reputation.

Devil May Cry 5 continues the legacy of it honestly. They even got RULES OF NATURE guy to do the vocals for the song they added for Special Edition

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Evil Robot posted:

Even used X1X's are up in the ~$250 range right now, close to XSS, what's up with that?

Because you can't just walk into a store and buy any of them.
I've considered selling one of my xbox one Ss locally since I could get a few bucks for it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Morrowind 60fps 4K :allears:

Hell yeah! I already bought it day 1.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Evil Robot posted:

Update on my dead X1X:
With a local repair shop declaring it unrecoverable after playing with for a week, my Xbox One X seems to have revived itself with the latest OSU1 offline update to rs_xbox_release_2011.201117-2300 (from a weird Xbox Insider release that was completely unbootable - 19041.4402.amd64fre.vb_release_xbox_dev_2010.201023-1840). I loving hate technology sometimes.

Moral of the story - stay out of Xbox Insider. And I'm lucky I had my games on an external HDD. Otherwise you might be out $250 of Microsoft repair tax to fix their broken software. Even used X1X's are up in the ~$250 range right now, close to XSS, what's up with that?

Im happy yours is fixed.

after the xbox one release where party chat didnt work with non-insiders if you were in the insider program and applied a beta update, i opted out.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from beta testing an OS as the end user. phones too. i have no idea why people are so obsessed with being on the bleeding edge of buggy software.

edit: one X prices are the way they are because its still a good console and its been discontinued so you cannot buy them new.

for reference pre-owned x1x at ebgames in australia are $500AUD (they launched at $700/750). used market here is $300-450 depending on accessories.

I sold mine for $400.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Evil Robot posted:

I don't know why people sign up to it to be honest. If Microsoft want me to beta test their poo poo they can pay me. :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People used to pay Apple $100 a year for the privilege to beta test the newest iphone software before they opened it up and started doing public tests.

Tech obsessed people aren't rational.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Control is coming to Game Pass console but not PC. Nier and Devil May Cry 5 were big misses too. Seems like the issue is that none of those games are available on the Windows Store and the publishers are not inclined to port them over.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

Fanatic posted:

I don't know why people sign up to it to be honest. If Microsoft want me to beta test their poo poo they can pay me. :shrug:

I signed up back during the xCloud beta because it was required for console streaming and I had a vision of playing games while chilling in the garden. lovely wireless signal put paid to that idea.

It seemed like every other time I booted the console there was another update in order to play online (I don't use Instant On), and once it kicked me out of a strike in Destiny 2 with no warning because the update had become mandatory at that very moment.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Some PS3 consoles apparently still sell for an ok amount. I have the backwards compatible one and I think I could get like... $200-$250 for it?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh wow, just noticed that Hypnospace Outlaw is on Game Pass! If they keep maintaining a legit selection for both console and PC ima be real excited about my plan to own a Series S and never buy a game for it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Martman posted:

Oh wow, just noticed that Hypnospace Outlaw is on Game Pass! If they keep maintaining a legit selection for both console and PC ima be real excited about my plan to own a Series S and never buy a game for it.

This was my plan but I bought Yakuza

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Control is coming to Game Pass console but not PC. Nier and Devil May Cry 5 were big misses too. Seems like the issue is that none of those games are available on the Windows Store and the publishers are not inclined to port them over.

Control and DMC5 are getting next gen re-releases, which may be why? lovely move by the publishers. Microsoft was pushing hard for free upgrades but people are expected to re-buy these. Not sure if something similar might happen with Nier? They do have the remake/remaster of an older Nier game on the way so who knows?

Edit: Also regarding PC, DMC5 isn't getting the next-gen re-release on PC. They're releasing a free patch with Vergil but all the other content is console exclusive to the re-release which is extra lovely of Capcom.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I was excited for Game Pass Dragon Quest 11 since I keep starting the demo on multiple platforms but never bought the game

But did they really release it with worse graphics? What is the logic here exactly?

SUNKOS posted:

Control and DMC5 are getting next gen re-releases, which may be why? lovely move by the publishers. Microsoft was pushing hard for free upgrades but people are expected to re-buy these. Not sure if something similar might happen with Nier? They do have the remake/remaster of an older Nier game on the way so who knows?

Edit: Also regarding PC, DMC5 isn't getting the next-gen re-release on PC. They're releasing a free patch with Vergil but all the other content is console exclusive to the re-release which is extra lovely of Capcom.

I'm 99% sure this is why both Control and DMC have had kinda weird gamepass runs.

Like I can DL DMC5 on new Xbox right now, but the Special Edition with Vergil and the next gen improvements I think still needs to be bought. Control seems to be in a similar situation.

Bit disappointing as 99% of games seem to be getting either pretty good performance on the new console, or explicitly free patches to Run on X/S

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok I was excited for Game Pass Dragon Quest 11 since I keep starting the demo on multiple platforms but never bought the game

But did they really release it with worse graphics? What is the logic here exactly?

The “logic” is that it’s a port of the switch version running on a different version of Unreal. You’re not gonna notice or care

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's a port of the definitive edition, which itself was a slightly reworked version of the game with a bunch of extra content exclusive to the Switch. Also I'm guessing you just read the "worse graphics" part somewhere online and aren't talking about your personal experience. You likely wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

American McGay posted:

It's a port of the definitive edition, which itself was a slightly reworked version of the game with a bunch of extra content exclusive to the Switch. Also I'm guessing you just read the "worse graphics" part somewhere online and aren't talking about your personal experience. You likely wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

Yeah I 100% read it in a tweet lol I have not played the game yet

Ah well. Will not argue with "free" Dq11

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I thought me3 was worse than Andromeda, even though they dropped a reaper on my apartment in the intro which was cool.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some of the easiest games on game pass to earn an achievement with? Things like you can get one, 5 minutes in, during a tutorial.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What are some of the easiest games on game pass to earn an achievement with? Things like you can get one, 5 minutes in, during a tutorial.

Here's a list of games on Game Pass in order of how quick you can get all the achievements: https://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-game-pass/games?order=CompletionTime

The Gardens Between is a really good and overlooked little puzzle game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

A lot of the old XBLA games have an easy first achievement, so they could then tell you "Unlock the full game now!".

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Hyperdot has a few easy to get ones. Fairly quick to install too

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

There's a couple on PC that are super easy to get due to using the developer console. Check out Maka91's YT channel, he has video guides for them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ordered a series x monday night (11pm) arrived today (wed) 10am. Quick turnaround.

Got it off the microsoft marketplace on the xbox, so if you've got an existing console, open the marketplace, search for series x (because it'll probably only show one x and series s on the marketplace as in stock) and just keep hammering A until it finally adds to your basket, took about 15 mins for me, now and again i'd see the 'out of stock text' vanish over the icon but i'd still get an error, so just keep trying to add it to your basket.

Then when it is in your basket, keep hammering a or x to check out, eventually you'll get the checkout screen, hit next and you have yourself a new xbox series x, despite the microsoft website saying they are not in stock.

(Australia btw)

A few other people have managed to buy it this way as well, read about it on another forum.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Are you guys going to play games you wouldn't normally like just for achievements? The true prize for gaming is the enjoyment you receive for playing the game itself. :colbert: :agesilaus:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's a good comparison video for DQXI. I'm still looking forward to playing it again, I got like half-way through the original on PC before I lost interest and never picked it up again. Hope I can stick with it this time and finish it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_YeuubHOdQ

Note the close-up shots of the hero's hands as he holds the scarf. There is a slight overall reduction in polycounts on the high-res cutscene models (curved surfaces suffer the most) and it's really puzzling that SE couldn't just add the original ones back in, but SE gonna SE. The lighting, materials and effects being different between UE engine versions is completely understandable, but this isn't.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Are you guys going to play games you wouldn't normally like just for achievements? The true prize for gaming is the enjoyment you receive for playing the game itself. :colbert: :agesilaus:

Of course. SokoBunny won't play itself.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for all the tips! Funny enough I forgot I did one past midnight today so I already got one, but that last and info will prove quite useful.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks this is all helpful. I only need one maybe a foot longer than the included one.

I found this 10-footer (no idea if this is a reliable cable or not, I just found it on Amazon).

Note the price jump going from 10ft to 25ft.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's crazy lmao. Thanks for that though I'll buy it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone tried Panzer Dragoon Saga yet 👀
I got all the PD games running full speed on a tiny SoC computer this year, the Series consoles will have no trouble. Saturn emulation was rough for a long time but in the past few years it's become almost perfect.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Evil Robot posted:

Moral of the story - stay out of Xbox Insider. And I'm lucky I had my games on an external HDD. Otherwise you might be out $250 of Microsoft repair tax to fix their broken software.

I mean, let's be clear here - you signed up for a program without understanding the ramifications and then neglected to keep your console up to date for several months. Say what you will about the usefulness of the Insider program, but neither of those things are the Insider program's fault and the latter would be equally terrible even if you weren't in the Insider program. The whole story about "the console just magically updated itself" still doesn't hold a lot of water to me and quite frankly I think it's plainly an issue of needing to RTFM

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

barnold posted:

I mean, let's be clear here - you signed up for a program without understanding the ramifications and then neglected to keep your console up to date for several months. Say what you will about the usefulness of the Insider program, but neither of those things are the Insider program's fault and the latter would be equally terrible even if you weren't in the Insider program. The whole story about "the console just magically updated itself" still doesn't hold a lot of water to me and quite frankly I think it's plainly an issue of needing to RTFM

Holy poo poo look at this awful opinion, I would put this squarely on MS having shoddy software QA processes (which if you've paid attention to their past few major Windows 10 updates, woo boy have those been fun).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

buttchugging adderall posted:

Holy poo poo look at this awful opinion, I would put this squarely on MS having shoddy software QA processes (which if you've paid attention to their past few major Windows 10 updates, woo boy have those been fun).

Everybody’s QA has gone down the toilet. Now that you know you can release updates constantly, nobody is afraid of releasing poo poo anymore because you can just patch it right after.

Software quality is the worst it’s ever been, but at least we can slap new features out there quickly.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

so don't sign up for the loving Insider program then lmfao

I've been between RTM, beta rings, and delta rings for over four years across two different Xbox consoles (OG and One X) and never had a single problem whatsoever.

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 2, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
this is like when people on apple forums sideload dev profiles and their batteries die in seconds

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Putting yourself in the insider program is explicitly ticking the big optional box that says "send me the buggy poo poo"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
And then leave 1 star reviews for all the apps that haven't been updated to the beta OS yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

this is like when people on apple forums sideload dev profiles and their batteries die in seconds

this. it's like rooting an android. the potential cons far outweigh the pros and I 100% am going to laugh at someone who bricks their poo poo. fool's errand.

don't root your android, and don't install Insider builds (unless you have a really really good reason why, but unlike rooting there is legitimately zero benefit to installing an Insider build)