Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Is there any way to get games sideloaded onto the Quest 2 with Sidequest to show up in the headset interface or must they always be launched from the sidequest app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

Is there any way to get games sideloaded onto the Quest 2 with Sidequest to show up in the headset interface or must they always be launched from the sidequest app?

They get all stuffed away into an "Untrusted Apps" category in the Quest 2, you can launch them from there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

AllisonByProxy posted:

I have never used the Sidequest app, hah!

Just click on unknown apps on the starting menu, in the tab of app categories (installed, oculus apps, uinstalled...)

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Thanks guys! I didn't notice that category before. Just got my Quest 2 today. I'm loving it so far.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Are quest 2 face covers worth looking into?

You mean a facial interface replacement like VRcover?

In general, yes. They are more comfortable than the stock interfaces and easier to clean, which is especially important if you want to share your headset with friends. Had one for the CV1, and I've got a Quest 2 version en route, will let you know how it is. Hopefully, they have fixed the skin staining issue...

Shine posted:

Centering the view would leave the view off-center, and pressing it repeatedly would dart the view around to the sides of the place, so I could not actually center it.

Nothing wrong with arcadey, but that can still be fun with a joystick. I much prefer Star Wars Squadrons (about as arcadey as it gets) with a joystick/pedals instead of a gamepad, and when the game specifically advertises HOTAS support, then expecting a HOTAS to work properly is not unreasonable.

The main menu text was also fuzzy as hell, as if I was back on the Rift CV1 and trying to read DCS World labels.

Well that sucks. They made a big deal of VR and HOTAS support.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Thanks guys! I didn't notice that category before. Just got my Quest 2 today. I'm loving it so far.

Yeah, they hid it really well, even knowing it was there I had to go look it up to find it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

I can’t remember all of the details but it involves going into config files for the “windows mixed reality for steam vr” app and disabling “system button” (that’s how they are referring to the steam menu button)

When you do that it will give you your thumbstick presses back and you’ll still be able to bring up the steam menu by clicking the steam button on the menu that pops up when you hit the windows button on the controller. Not the steam app launcher, on the left side of that window that pops up there will be a steam button.

If you Google for “system button” WMR thumbstick you’ll probably find some details. They might have changed it to have a menu toggle somewhere in the steam vr controller bindings too. It’s been a few months since I had a WMR headset.
Thanks! This seems to be the solution, I thought I was just crazy and couldn't see the simple option. Eventually I found this post on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/cjlltl/native_thumbstick_click_remapping_is_real_there/ which goes into it in more details. Took me forever to find the right config file but hopefully I'l get it working tonight.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Shine posted:

Good lord, Project Wingman doesn't play well with VR or my joysticks. In VR, the framerates is atrocious (Index, 8700K @ 4.9, RTX 3080, and with everything on Medium I had reprojection 100% of the time), and "centering" the view kept flipping the view just off to either side, and in one case had me looking a full 90 degrees to the right. I couldn't get the view to actually center.

Plus, the game is acting like my stick and pedals have 1/3 of their range of travel (the input is maxed out well before the stick reaches the end of its physical axis), and the input randomly "jumps" around, so moving the stick doesn't result in a smooth input, but one that is ridiculously jittery. Like, imagine if you were playing, and another person started randomly pressing arrow keys that the game registered alongside your joystick, and that's what it feels like, even after I made sure to unmap all the default gamepad inputs.

Might be a fun game on a monitor and with an Xbox pad (reviews are positive overall), but the VR support is horrible, and so far the joystick support is, too. drat, I was really excited about this game :(

It runs mostly fine for me, except for mission 3, at full settings on an Index with a 2080TI. It’s definitely not a joystick game though, it’s an Ace Combat clone.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Just got the quest 2 as a first time VR player and I'm in love. As a lot of people have said, I agree that the stock strap isn't super comfy. I definitely get VR forehead pretty quikcly. With a lot of people saying the halostyle elite strap isn't great quality and lot of broken ones, I'm wary of it.

I'm thinking about doing the Vive DAS with an adapter, but it's pricey. Should I wait til after the holidays for some 3rd party stuff to come out or will the DAS probably be the best compromise for audio/extra battery/comfort? Is there a cheap strap upgrade that I should look at?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can only think people have been pulling Quest 2s off without loosening the elite straps to cause that breaking issue.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3f42_s6-q4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Looks cool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was a strange dip past month, so it's good it recovered this month (+0,2% in total share).

The OpenVR benchmark app recognizes my Quest 2 as a Rift S, so yeah, don't believe the Rift S / Quest share.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s definitely not a joystick game though, it’s an Ace Combat clone.

Where does this "it's not a joystick game" bit come from? Setting aside that they literally advertise it as working well with joysticks, I don't see the thought process behind it. You're basically saying "you should use a joystick, but only if it's a tiny one made for your thumb."

Just because a game doesn't require a joystick doesn't mean that there's zero reason to use one. I've been playing arcadey flight games with a joystick for as long as I can remember, because it's fun. Arcade flight games in actual arcades have used joysticks for decades, because they're fun. And when the devs specifically tout the game as working well with a HOTAS, then it's reasonable to expect that. This isn't like House of the Dying Sun where the dev made it clear that the game had issues with joysticks and recommended against them.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I can only think people have been pulling Quest 2s off without loosening the elite straps to cause that breaking issue.

I haven't had any issues with my elite battery strap yet but, while I'm not a materials scientist, something about some of the breaks people have posted photos of on reddit looks fishy to me.

A lot of them look like clean fractures, which I think aligns with sudden stress applied when pulling the strap off without loosening like you say. So yeah a lot of it could be user error. Some of them look like chunky breaks though, and even weirder are the more rare horizontal fractures that run along the length of the band... which just seem like bad plastic in a batch or whatever.

In other news I cable-modded my old pair over ear headphones that I used to use in an office so I can now use a super short aux cable with my quest 2. It's awesome.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my coworker just got his index kit and 2 days later a lighthouse is broken. well played valve.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What sort of break? It's useless to your coworker for me to say that mine have been happy as can be since I got them in March, but I'm curious what failed such that I might hope to avoid doing anything that causes a similar issue.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It seems more like a bad batch to me, I treat mine like poo poo and routinely pick it up and move it around just holding the back part of the strap, which seems like the worst way to hold it, and mine is totally fine.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I'm actually surprised at the resilience of the lighthouses. One of mine fell off my ceiling and landed on my table (on a glass cup actually) 1.5 meters below it and it's still working fine! (it was off at the time it fell, luckily)

Really sucks that it stopped working for your coworker so quickly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Shine posted:

Where does this "it's not a joystick game" bit come from? Setting aside that they literally advertise it as working well with joysticks, I don't see the thought process behind it. You're basically saying "you should use a joystick, but only if it's a tiny one made for your thumb."

Just because a game doesn't require a joystick doesn't mean that there's zero reason to use one. I've been playing arcadey flight games with a joystick for as long as I can remember, because it's fun. Arcade flight games in actual arcades have used joysticks for decades, because they're fun. And when the devs specifically tout the game as working well with a HOTAS, then it's reasonable to expect that. This isn't like House of the Dying Sun where the dev made it clear that the game had issues with joysticks and recommended against them.

Ace Combat has always played worse with a joystick. These kinds of games are designed around a controller. Games that are designed around joysticks are good with joysticks.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

What sort of break? It's useless to your coworker for me to say that mine have been happy as can be since I got them in March, but I'm curious what failed such that I might hope to avoid doing anything that causes a similar issue.

He just said blinking red led , don’t think it was dropped or anything. Also apparently the support form for your diagnostics doesn’t accept .txt files even though it explicitly says it does lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Huh, its funny seeing how bad the lighting looks compared to what you expect from a modern Medal of Honor / Call of Duty game. But they're using a forward renderer so good for them.

Guns look cool and sound really punchy. Gameplay looks pretty solid.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
has anyone tried running dolphin emulator on quest 2 or ppsspp on quest 1? id try it but i dont have a bluetooth controller. people have reported success with at least the dolphin android port

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh, its funny seeing how bad the lighting looks compared to what you expect from a modern Medal of Honor / Call of Duty game. But they're using a forward renderer so good for them.

I’m legit excited for this game! I hope I can run it from revive or whatever without problems. For some reason pokerstars vr was complexity unplayable for me and I had to rebuy on Steam.

Is this really coming out a day after cyberpunk!?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

Indeed! There's zero dynamic shadowing. All the shadows on the ground are baked, and the characters do not cast shadows or self shadow. Environment shadows do not cast onto character models either, although they do appear darker sometimes, so it's likely using a similar sun shadow system to e.g. Half Life 2 where characters were either in sunlight or in shadow. There's also zero ambient occlusion. Hopefully it looks nicer in PCVR? I doubt it...

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’m legit excited for this game! I hope I can run it from revive or whatever without problems. For some reason pokerstars vr was complexity unplayable for me and I had to rebuy on Steam.

Is this really coming out a day after cyberpunk!?

It's coming out on Steam as well: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1402320/Medal_of_Honor_Above_and_Beyond/

EDIT: Actually looking at the screenshots on Steam, there are character shadows! So it's possible most of the footage is from the Quest version...

Brownie fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 2, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ohh poo poo I didn’t even check. I just saw the oculus brand and assumed. Very cool.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

playground tough posted:

I haven't had any issues with my elite battery strap yet but, while I'm not a materials scientist, something about some of the breaks people have posted photos of on reddit looks fishy to me.

A lot of them look like clean fractures, which I think aligns with sudden stress applied when pulling the strap off without loosening like you say. So yeah a lot of it could be user error. Some of them look like chunky breaks though, and even weirder are the more rare horizontal fractures that run along the length of the band... which just seem like bad plastic in a batch or whatever.

The ones I have seen have all been like this:

Which looks like a repetitive stress fracture, then they split in two there. I can't see any other way other than repeatedly pulling it off un tightened, which I can totally see happening (I've done it myself) so I am not saying it's not a poo poo design flaw, it is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peter gabriel posted:

Which looks like a repetitive stress fracture, then they split in two there. I can't see any other way other than repeatedly pulling it off un tightened, which I can totally see happening (I've done it myself) so I am not saying it's not a poo poo design flaw, it is.

Might be a manufacturing defect as well, given that it's not a universal experience. AFAIK they're still looking into it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Subjunctive posted:

Might be a manufacturing defect as well, given that it's not a universal experience. AFAIK they're still looking into it.

Could be, I just checked my Rift S and that part is just as thin but seems like really really tough plastic

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Brownie posted:

EDIT: Actually looking at the screenshots on Steam, there are character shadows! So it's possible most of the footage is from the Quest version...

There is no Quest version.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

Could be, I just checked my Rift S and that part is just as thin but seems like really really tough plastic

They had people making videos of themselves just abusing the hell out of the plastic and literally trying to break it and failing. I am pretty convinced personally that one of the factories that produced them either intentionally or unintentionally used the wrong plastic for some of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brownie posted:

Hm, there's a steam video that seems to show shadows in some areas but not in others.

Either they turn it off for multiplayer or its a graphical setting you can turn on or off for performance. In which case I'm gobsmacked they don't have it on for the trailer...

Looks like there's a section where you walk around inside a bomber and man a turret; I wanna do that :)

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Tip posted:

There is no Quest version.

This is a bummer overall.

Is it because download size will only fit onto the larger quest 2?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

warsow posted:

It's because it's built for PC. They have said they'll attempt to port it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're successful. So far everything I've seen looks like it would be pretty doable on Quest (with majorly downgraded graphics).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think its possible either they have stuff like that turned off for multiplayer, where fast action and no frame dips is more important, or they've been reworking parts of it so they can do a quest port down the road easier. Or both maybe.

I would think its something where its not on in multiplayer as thats not as focused on looking 'cinematic' and stuff. Because if you look at the single player story trailer from 3 months ago you see the characters casting shadows, even your own arms and guns casting shadows on the environment, but its still not universal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKLSGc5_APo

warsow posted:

The game started development in like... 2016? The quest was still experiments at that point and its been developed for PC the whole time. That said, I would wager that oculus wants to do everything they can to port it over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tip posted:

It's because it's built for PC. They have said they'll attempt to port it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're successful. So far everything I've seen looks like it would be pretty doable on Quest (with majorly downgraded graphics).

It looks like they're being incredibly conservative on graphics so I would be shocked if they aren't planning on porting to Quest.

You don't stick to forward rendering and then release as SteamVR only. That'd be ridiculous. Although maybe they were working on the best practices of 2016 VR and didn't want to risk going any further IDK.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nalin posted:

They had people making videos of themselves just abusing the hell out of the plastic and literally trying to break it and failing. I am pretty convinced personally that one of the factories that produced them either intentionally or unintentionally used the wrong plastic for some of them.

It would make sense, a bad batch or something

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ace Combat has always played worse with a joystick. These kinds of games are designed around a controller. Games that are designed around joysticks are good with joysticks.

Why is it specifically important to you that I use a gamepad to play a game that touts its joystick support? This reminds me of when the Xbox controller became widely supported on PC, so you had first-person shooters released on PC with native gamepad support, and some people got really dogmatic about the idea of someone preferring a gamepad to a mouse. Like, I would generally rather play a PC shooter with a mouse and keyboard, but if an FPS explicitly states that gamepads are supported and then they don't work the way they should, and someone finds that annoying, I'm not gonna be like, "no matter, this genre is designed around the mouse and you shouldn't want to use a gamepad," because that would be weird.

If a game advertises a feature and that feature doesn't work for me, then I'm going to be annoyed, and justifiably so. Again, I have no beef with House of the Dying Sun's lovely joystick support because the dev did not set the expectation that a HOTAS would work well. The Project Wingman devs did set that expectation (it's right there on the Steam page, the old Itch.io, and generally part of its hype/advertising), so it's reasonable to be annoyed when I experience a problem with it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Shine posted:

Why is it specifically important to you that I use a gamepad to play a game that touts its joystick support? This reminds me of when the Xbox controller became widely supported on PC, so you had first-person shooters released on PC with native gamepad support, and some people got really dogmatic about the idea of someone preferring a gamepad to a mouse. Like, I would generally rather play a PC shooter with a mouse and keyboard, but if an FPS explicitly states that gamepads are supported and then they don't work the way they should, and someone finds that annoying, I'm not gonna be like, "no matter, this genre is designed around the mouse and you shouldn't want to use a gamepad," because that would be weird.

If a game advertises a feature and that feature doesn't work for me, then I'm going to be annoyed, and justifiably so. Again, I have no beef with House of the Dying Sun's lovely joystick support because the dev did not set the expectation that a HOTAS would work well. The Project Wingman devs did set that expectation (it's right there on the Steam page, the old Itch.io, and generally part of its hype/advertising), so it's reasonable to be annoyed when I experience a problem with it.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be annoyed. I'm just saying it's a better game with a gamepad, because it's an Ace Combat clone, which are better with a gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

peter gabriel posted:

Nah, some of them have been breaking with no mishandling at all and others have been standing up to plenty of abuse without issue. It's almost certainly a bad batch.