Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bayformers is also a big example, billions of dollars and hundreds of hours of effort going into making characters look like indistinguishable grey blobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
It's economics baby. The backers of these films are both seeing cinematography as a easy way to cheapen the production of their film and enforcing a culture of last minute reshoots that gives editors very little wiggle room

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bayformers is also a big example, billions of dollars and hundreds of hours of effort going into making characters look like indistinguishable grey blobs.

are you serious

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not unsympathetic to anyone who finds the Bayformer style ugly or hard to read, but if you want an example of the public voting with their wallet that they prefer old designs over new that ain't it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speaking of Oscar Isaac. Triple Frontier is a fun romp and answers the question I always had in heist films. How the hell do you get all that money transported when bags of money are heavy as hell??

Has Pedro Pascal in it as well so it’s got plenty of Star Wars cred.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 1, 2020

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Flat grey or brown blobs.

See the airport fight in civil war or the end fight in endgame.
Flat, even lighting like those sequences actually makes CGI harder since there's nowhere to hide anything. The reason the T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park holds up so well is because it's at night in the rain.

BiggestBatman posted:

It's economics baby. The backers of these films are both seeing cinematography as a easy way to cheapen the production of their film and enforcing a culture of last minute reshoots that gives editors very little wiggle room
Unfortunately, the real reason is even stupider. After the success of Marvel and the perceived failure of the DC movies, studios are afraid of being "too dark", but don't understand what that means so they just mandate that scenes take place during the day instead of at night.

It's certainly true that studios are getting bolder with what they can add during reshoots, but there's no world in which "let's just reshoot half the movie later" is seen as a cost saving measure. If anything, the people handling the money have to work to prevent the creatives from changing things late in the game, since it's basically flushing the money they've already spent on it down the toilet. I've worked on movies that were delayed due to COVID, and the studios had to force the directors to finish them because they wanted to use the extra time to reshoot things or add new scenes, which would have cost more money.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Robot Style posted:

Unfortunately, the real reason is even stupider. After the success of Marvel and the perceived failure of the DC movies, studios are afraid of being "too dark", but don't understand what that means so they just mandate that scenes take place during the day instead of at night.
Oh my God, when SMG said "grimdark refers to if the characters are smiling and if it's daytime" it was literally true

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I personally have no issues seeing what's going on in Bayformers action scenes and fight scenes, but even with all the moving parts and such that confuse some people, there's still a lot of color there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Flat grey or brown blobs.

See the airport fight in civil war or the end fight in endgame.

Those are two very different scenes with very different problems (both are bad) and I can't really see how CGI lead to those problems.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Speaking of Oscar Isaac. Triple Frontier is a fun romp and answers the question I always had in heist films. How the hell do you get all that money transported when bags of money are heavy as hell??

Has Pedro Pascal in it as well so it’s got plenty of Star Wars cred.

I loving hated that movie. It kept skipping past all the interesting parts. "We have a long, difficult hike ahead of us" *cuts to the end of the long, difficult hike* It's a movie that's lacking a lot of connective tissue.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Boring, lovely fight scenes existed before CGI. Watch the underwater sequence in Thunderball for expensive, complicated, all practical choreography that was absolutely awful.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shiroc posted:

Boring, lovely fight scenes existed before CGI. Watch the underwater sequence in Thunderball for expensive, complicated, all practical choreography that was absolutely awful.

Man, Thunderball sucks. When I finally watched it for the first time several years for my Bond watch through thread, I was shocked by how bad it was, given how many years they’ve been fighting over the rights to it. But it’s, like, really bad.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Shiroc posted:

"Underwater fight scenes are like the drum solos of movies." -Crow T. Robot*

*Except for Top Secret.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is TROS a worse film than Jurassic World?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Absolutely. And Jurassic World even has Chris Pratt in it so...

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It's almost as bad as the sequel to Jurassic World.

Imagine Jurassic World, but then Dennis Nedry comes stumbling back onto the screen and reveals that all of the dinosaurs were, in fact, animatronic killing machines that he'd been controlling remotely the entire time...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not unsympathetic to anyone who finds the Bayformer style ugly or hard to read, but if you want an example of the public voting with their wallet that they prefer old designs over new that ain't it.

I wasn't talking about ticket sales, since those are mostly driven by other things. I meant in the sense of merchandise, toys, and pop-culture staying power. The Bayformers movies did indeed make bank, but in the end it was different designs that won out on the toy shelves and on t-shirts. Same with Star Wars. People may have bought tickets, but not a single design from the films moved any merchandise or can still be recalled by the public today. Can anyone today actually conjure a mental image of something from the sequels? Even people who have never seen Star Wars can describe an X-Wing to you, but they won't be able to remember anything from the Sequels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1333838287073492992

Only briefly considered while writing, but still interesting to hear.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

galagazombie posted:

Even people who have never seen Star Wars can describe an X-Wing to you, but they won't be able to remember anything from the Sequels.

They probably just guess going by the name because they desperately want to escape the conversation.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

galagazombie posted:

but they won't be able to remember anything from the Sequels.
Sure they will! That alien which looked like a turd with eyes. And that other alien, the eyed turd.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

No question. Jurassic World at least has some fun moments based on feelings of nostalgia for the previous movies, TROS just causes me to squint at the screen for 2.5 hours. I have a headache after watching it from squinting so much.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Who can forget Progs after they were shoved in our face nonstop for like three years they were so well marketed?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar for this year and it still has a porg in it somewhere but more importantly, today was Poe in a Christmas sweater. He came with a coffee mug and it is the definitive version of the character I know almost nothing about.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snowman_McK posted:

what bad visual styles does CGI encourage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24&t=1s

just gonna post this video for billionth time

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Shiroc posted:

Its interesting how the myths of Evil George Lucas have slowly expanded over time. Starting from the reasonable "Star Wars was a collaborative effort, not just Lucas" even though he his hands in everything. Moving to the "from a certain point of view" untruths that Lucas barely had anything to do with Star Wars and it was Marcia and the other directors saving it from him. Now we have things that are flatly the opposite of what happened, when Lucas and the big three had a meeting together where he personally got them all to buy in on the idea.

I think it's fascinating how this is coming full circle. My Google News feed continually is feeding me headlines and articles from lovely youtube channels and fansites about how George is going to redo the sequel trilogy, or George has a cut of Rise of the Skywalker that fixes all the issues or how George has fired Kathleen Kennedy for ruining Star Wars.

I've never actually watched any of these, but my feeling is that it's coming from people who grew up with the prequels coming of age and have a weird particular axe to grind with the new Star Wars, just like many 30+ year olds like me did with the prequels.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Basebf555 posted:

No question. Jurassic World at least has some fun moments based on feelings of nostalgia for the previous movies, TROS just causes me to squint at the screen for 2.5 hours. I have a headache after watching it from squinting so much.

How about Jurassic World: Lost Kingdom?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes? For the first half hour or so (I didn't look at my watch, so I'm guessing) it seemed fine, if a little rushed. It was the Chewbacca death fakeout that clearly marks the line between 'an actual film' and 'whatever jumbled notes were left as they jammed scripts together'

Kanine posted:

Rocket Jump is loving terrific. I loved his old action shorts and it's cool to see him do other stuff now. Since we're talking about CGI, I've been watching Gangs of London, and holy poo poo it uses CGI blood well. For the longest time, CGI blood was weightless and impactless, while Gangs of London uses it to create the most brutal loving gunfight I've ever seen (If you've watched the show, you know which one I mean)

It's a tool. It's like editing, or lighting, or sound. Mediocre craftsmen will use CGI in a mediocre way, really loving clever artists will use it in brilliant ways.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Snowman_McK posted:

does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes? For the first half hour or so (I didn't look at my watch, so I'm guessing) it seemed fine, if a little rushed. It was the Chewbacca death fakeout that clearly marks the line between 'an actual film' and 'whatever jumbled notes were left as they jammed scripts together'

I've forgotten so much about that film, but I distinctly remember the opening lines of the crawl being 'SOMEHOW PALPATINE HAS RETURNED' or however it was phrased in the opening intro instantly throwing me off the film, and it was a continual down hill slide from there

There was also at one point a string of really bad retcons to things established in TLJ by dialog, which was super off putting and seemed so pandering. Fair enough if you didn't like those things, but you have to live with them in the next film!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Isometric Bacon posted:

I've forgotten so much about that film, but I distinctly remember the opening lines of the crawl being 'SOMEHOW PALPATINE HAS RETURNED' or however it was phrased in the opening intro instantly throwing me off the film, and it was a continual down hill slide from there

There was also at one point a string of really bad retcons to things established in TLJ by dialog, which was super off putting and seemed so pandering. Fair enough if you didn't like those things, but you have to live with them in the next film!

THE DEAD SPEAK (in fortnite)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really like the Rey vs Tie fighter sequence and the Death Star wreckage scenes. I loved evil C3PO. And honestly, parts of the final battle and showdown with Sheev I thought were kinda cool too. The rest was rear end and when taken together as whole, it’s a loving mess. But there was some enjoyment for me to be found.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I still haven't seen it, outside of a couple baffling scenes linked ITT

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes?

When they announced JJ was stepping in

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Kanine posted:

And I'll explain why this is a bad video for the billionth time. He's debating against an argument no one is making, and also straight up wrong about stuff. He says that everyone doesn't realize Iron Man is CG. Dude, god damned everyone knows Iron Man is RDJ's face pasted on a model, It's blatantly obvious.
The crux of his argument is purely semantic. When people say "CG" no one is talking about how shots are composited from multiple things like the thumbnail image from Fury Road. Star Wars did that in the 70's.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

And I'll explain why this is a bad video for the billionth time. He's debating against an argument no one is making, and also straight up wrong about stuff. He says that everyone doesn't realize Iron Man is CG. Dude, god damned everyone knows Iron Man is RDJ's face pasted on a model, It's blatantly obvious.
The crux of his argument is purely semantic. When people say "CG" no one is talking about how shots are composited from multiple things like the thumbnail image from Fury Road. Star Wars did that in the 70's.

People are though. People described Fury Road as fantastic because they didn't use CG. Because they didn't know they were looking at CG.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes?

Beforehand when they brought JJ Abrams back. I thought TFA was alright at the time but the drama about directors and scripts is not a good sign, and I felt it was a warning that the overall sequel trilogy was designed by committee and that the sequel was not going to land it. Also when the Fortnite thing happened. I went in blasted to enhance my enjoyment so that at least me and Ian McDiarmid were having lots of fun. I went in with zero expectations and enjoyed it as a spectacle.

It’s been hashed out to death, but I love that the reaction to the first two movies was to reach deeper into the toy box for something Star Warsy we know people like and they came out with Sheev, shrugged, and went ahead in spite of obviously having no loving idea what they were doing all along. It’s an amazing decision and if it was any other actor or if we had better expectations, TROS would have been a laughing stock. Star Wars, the 9-film epic of one man’s quixotic rise and fall. Incredible stuff.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He also flat out says “of course Iron Man is CG” before pointing out that they no longer even use a reference suit anymore like they did in the first movie.

So way to laser focus on one part and dump every other good point the video makes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rob Rockley posted:

Beforehand when they brought JJ Abrams back. I thought TFA was alright at the time but the drama about directors and scripts is not a good sign, and I felt it was a warning that the overall sequel trilogy was designed by committee and that the sequel was not going to land it. Also when the Fortnite thing happened. I went in blasted to enhance my enjoyment so that at least me and Ian McDiarmid were having lots of fun. I went in with zero expectations and enjoyed it as a spectacle.

It’s been hashed out to death, but I love that the reaction to the first two movies was to reach deeper into the toy box for something Star Warsy we know people like and they came out with Sheev, shrugged, and went ahead in spite of obviously having no loving idea what they were doing all along. It’s an amazing decision and if it was any other actor or if we had better expectations, TROS would have been a laughing stock. Star Wars, the 9-film epic of one man’s quixotic rise and fall. Incredible stuff.

See, I was skeptical about Abrams, but the guy can absolutely turn in an entertaining, coherent, albeit unimaginative film. Mission Impossible 3 is really fun, the first Star Trek was fun, as was TFA. None of them are the best entries in their franchise, but I enjoyed all of them before never thinking about them again. TROS is just staggeringly incoherent, falling apart under the weight of rewrites. For a simple example, Finn needs rescuing as the Star destroyer explodes. Poe, with whom he's had a connection over the three films, started when Finn rescued him, leaps to finally return the favour. It's a nice dovetail. But then Lando, who has shared all of two lines with Finn, goes 'No, allow me' and the whole film is essentially that issue write large, redundant scenes and characters, others that aren't connected to anything and don't accomplish anything. It's just a mess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

When they announced JJ was stepping in

Yeah

If were talking whats presented on screen its the first line if the opening crawl.

The peak bottom is the "one in a million" line about lightspeed ramming because after that point the Sheev Sith Spirit Soundstage was like "oh this will be maximum poo poo and it hates me" so it no longer felt like it could twist the stupid knife to hurt me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's hard for me to imagine a redemptive interpretation of The Rise of Skywalker. There are people out there who like The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi a lot better than I do, and I understand why. I can see the movies that they saw and I can appreciate what's appealing in them. That's true of Solo as well, in fact, and I don't need to refer to someone else in order to appreciate Rogue One, which is just plain very good.

I have to really strain to find good things to say about the end of the sequel trilogy, though - and I did try. The whole thing felt improvised. Even on the night of my viewing, I compared it to mashing a bunch of action figures together, which I'm not above enjoying. JJ Abrams' specialty is having strong forward momentum through the whole plotline, often to the point of being frenetic, so even though it was stupid I had fun with the ride and the spectacle. I've seen movies on opening night that didn't even entertain me while I was watching them, but that's a miserably low bar to clear.

The way the first act goes so hard on undoing the entirety of its predecessor is the big warning sign there. Letting multiple directors play in the sandbox is one thing, but usually that just means that they challenge each others' ideas in a more dialectical way, not just contradict them or backtrack. It then tries to cram a trilogy's worth of dramatic twists into the rest of the movie.

That's what gets me. This movie is full of moments that could individually have been mindblowing new developments worthy of anything in the ten preceding films. But they all just sort of happen for no reason and then leave no consequences for the next one. The ones that don't turn out to be fake-outs are resolved rapidly or ignored. There's rarely even anything connecting them, not even so much as an establishing shot with a spaceship landing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barudak posted:

Yeah

If were talking whats presented on screen its the first line if the opening crawl.

The peak bottom is the "one in a million" line about lightspeed ramming because after that point the Sheev Sith Spirit Soundstage was like "oh this will be maximum poo poo and it hates me" so it no longer felt like it could twist the stupid knife to hurt me

And lightspeed ramming still works in RoS too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It's hard for me to imagine a redemptive interpretation of The Rise of Skywalker.

Star Wars is a 9-film epic story of one man’s quixotic search for power, his rise and fall, and ultimately his Pyrrhic victory as he exterminates a rival lineage and places his own granddaughter in their place with unrivaled power.