Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I wouldn't worry too hard, im not sure if england have a working app yet after 8 months, so id be surprised if the vaccine is actually widely available before 2022.

The media will claim it is available and covid is over either way though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

peanut- posted:

That's a nice ideal but if the something does end up going wrong the emails and Whatsapp messages from the government pushing the regulator to cut corners for speed will be leaking within a month.

I will just feel a lot better once the EU signs it off is all.

its a good job that firms don't have previous for rigging test results to make their products appear to be better or safer than they were, no sir

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Yeah my biggest concern is that once the first person gets vaccined then every dumbass thinks that things are back to normal because "vaccine is available "

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IIRC, American vaccine product regulations are actually pretty stringent and reliable by international standards, which was why them going 'hold on a second, we don't like this' about the Oxford vaccine was pretty big news. The Pfizer vax at least wins the award of 'probably safer and more effective than the alternatives'.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

I wouldn't worry too hard, im not sure if england have a working app yet after 8 months, so id be surprised if the vaccine is actually widely available before 2022.

The media will claim it is available and covid is over either way though

Do you just not read the news? The NHS has been extensively planning the vaccine rollout for months now, we've ordered enough supplies to vaccinate the entire population and have the infrastructure in place to vaccinate most of the country in the coming year. There'll undoubtedly be some cock ups along the way but all signs point to a steady roll out of vaccinations from January 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It can't be fully safe since it hasn't been tested long enough and it's being distributed to us by one of the most incompetent and corrupt regimes in the world.

But what else are we gonna do?

Come on, not this poo poo again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

multijoe posted:

Do you just not read the news? The NHS has been extensively planning the vaccine rollout for months now, we've ordered enough supplies to vaccinate the entire population and have the infrastructure in place to vaccinate most of the country in the coming year. There'll undoubtedly be some cock ups along the way but all signs point to a steady roll out of vaccinations from January 2021

When was the last time the British government rolled out a massive anything that wasn't a complete disaster?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/shonfaye/status/1333558583150174214?s=19

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, American vaccine product regulations are actually pretty stringent and reliable by international standards, which was why them going 'hold on a second, we don't like this' about the Oxford vaccine was pretty big news. The Pfizer vax at least wins the award of 'probably safer and more effective than the alternatives'.

Tamiflu would like a word, although I guess it's not a vaccine.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The thing I wonder about Elliott Page is that his role in the umbrella academy is female. Must be a bit hurtful to have to continue to play a female character on screen, if coming out as trans is essentially saying you've been pretending to be the opposite gender your whole life and don't want to do so any more.

For what it's worth, I don't feel male. I'm not sure i'd feel any better female, but I do get a bit of euphoria seeing faceapp female pictures of myself. I don't think I'm up for the hassle of having to explain what gender neutral means, so I'll probably handle the issue by not talking to people wherever possible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The thing I wonder about Elliott Page is that his role in the umbrella academy is female. Must be a bit hurtful to have to continue to play a female character on screen, if coming out as trans is essentially saying you've been pretending to be the opposite gender your whole life and don't want to do so any more.

For what it's worth, I don't feel male. I'm not sure i'd feel any better female, but I do get a bit of euphoria seeing faceapp female pictures of myself. I don't think I'm up for the hassle of having to explain what gender neutral means, so I'll probably handle the issue by not talking to people wherever possible.

Get your wife to peg you

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/e_Liam_/status/1333650598768599040?s=20

Keith is a slur now

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

"difficult or Foreign sounding names"...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

Get your wife to peg you
No matter how many times you send me those pictures YOU ARE NOT. MY. WIFE.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Ah yes the tradition Scottish name Keir anglicised to the traditional Scottish name Keith 🤔

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving astrology for mbas.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

multijoe posted:

I thought this post was ironic lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

This won't surprise anyone here but there's a contradiction in the level 2 guidelines.

It says "Do not meet anyone indoors, unless you live with them or have formed a support bubble. Maximum of 6 outdoors." which is fairly clear. Only meet people indoors if they're in your household or bubble.

It also says "[Overnight stays] Allowed with your household, support bubble, or up to six people."

So we're allowed to stay overnight in accommodation, but not allowed to meet people you're staying with.

I guess blindfolds for everyone?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they obv put the six people bit in at the last minute to cover swingers and scaled down bungabunga parties

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

OwlFancier posted:

loving astrology for mbas.
I'm convinced that there's an axis on which gender, ethnicity, religion, star sign, and business brain letters rest, where all of them can intersect profoundly with a person's identity to different degrees despite obviously being something that in some aspects we created.

It's probably an inherent property of consciousness.

EvilHawk posted:

Glory holes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like he's always had these male-leaning roles or the way they were performed was, I think it was part of the charm.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The other thing is it's a superhero time travel TV show with talking chimpanzees. Vanya's already done the hollywood thing of going from straight to Lesbian in a series (though in Vanya's case, it may well be a case of "anyone who seems to care about me") - so just having accident, one scene of "Dammit Five, why am I a man?" then carrying on would not be the weirdest thing the show has done. Then you have a Trans lead in a major show.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

So we're allowed to stay overnight in accommodation, but not allowed to meet people you're staying with.

I couldn't possibly speculate why tories would leave open a loophole so that you can still have big parties where everyone has to wear a blindfold.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Grey Hunter posted:

The other thing is it's a superhero time travel TV show with talking chimpanzees. Vanya's already done the hollywood thing of going from straight to Lesbian in a series (though in Vanya's case, it may well be a case of "anyone who seems to care about me") - so just having accident, one scene of "Dammit Five, why am I a man?" then carrying on would not be the weirdest thing the show has done. Then you have a Trans lead in a major show.

I always read Vanya as Bi tbh.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
sounds kinky sign me up

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

It can't be fully safe since it hasn't been tested long enough and it's being distributed to us by one of the most incompetent and corrupt regimes in the world.

Bit harsh on Belgium.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

thrashingteeth posted:

I always read Vanya as Bi tbh.

Yeah, we only see two relationships, and its not like Vanya has had people throwing themselves at her as he entire childhood has been designed to make her as dull and unemotional as possible. (character, not actor he OC.) - so when someone pays attention to her, she's not going to care where it comes from.

I was more commenting on how on TV characters - normally women - can have a string of boyfriends, then the producers decide to "spice things up" and have them suddenly become gay. For Vanya In 100% agree it's in character. It's just a trope already.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

non-binary?

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For what it's worth there's precedent in Netflix shows, when one of the actors in Good Girls came out they had his character come out too so he wouldn't have to constsntly be misgendered in the role.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Bit harsh on Belgium.
They know what they did.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tories trying to claim responsibility for the vaccine now lol

https://twitter.com/AlokSharma_RDG/status/1334031199535325185?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure it's absolutely fine and other countries will clear it but every time a Tory makes a big fuss about us being the first I remember Operation Moonshot and feel less confident.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

They know what they did.

EVERYONE knows what they did.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can't wait for Jan 2021 to find out that we have agreed to buy the vaccine but sadly there is no way to import it.

E: or that Chris Grayling somehow made a deal with Tizer.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can't wait for Jan 2021 to find out that we have agreed to buy the vaccine but sadly there is no way to import it.

All those vaccines sitting in a lorry queue in Kent.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought this post was ironic lol

We have ordered enough doses of a domestically produced vaccine to cover the entire population alone and its being administered primarily by one of the only institutions in this country which still functions, despite the Tories best efforts.

In this particular case I just don't think a reflexive nihilism towards the situation really holds up, I dont doubt there'll be bureaucratic and supply chain gently caress ups along the way but I have no idea where you think this year long delay is coming from when the vaccines are already being mass produced and the first one just got authorised today.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

multijoe posted:

We have ordered enough doses of a domestically produced vaccine to cover the entire population alone and its being administered primarily by one of the only institutions in this country which still functions, despite the Tories best efforts.

In this particular case I just don't think a reflexive nihilism towards the situation really holds up, I dont doubt there'll be bureaucratic and supply chain gently caress ups along the way but I have no idea where you think this year long delay is coming from when the vaccines are already being mass produced and the first one just got authorised today.

Reflexive nihilism? That assumes the person thinks this had a snowball's chance in hell.

Everything else you said is also ridiculous but if you can't see why, I guess go write for the Guardian or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

EVERYONE knows what they did.
Not everyone knows that by forcing populations of the Congo basin into close contact with other primates for survival reasons under Leopold and then bringing them all into cities and mass vaccinating them with shared needles for public health purposes Belgium created the HIV/Aids pandemic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

I mean

Darth Walrus posted:

The Pfizer vax at least has better and more convincing trial data than the Oxford-AstraZeneca vax (which is a total shitshow), so the UK government hyping it up over the home-grown stuff is a bit of good news.