Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

$1,450 for 3 * 170g jars. Ships on dry ice and you can't eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this dude i know was on an outrageously expensive food kick so we had a crackers thing w this, caviar and crackers

it was not a good idea but it can be et

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Don't tell me what I can't do

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also for reference: peanut butter and caviar combo on crackers deffo belongs on this thread

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

axolotl farmer posted:

I understand the concept, but why would anyone need a reference for peanut butter?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
manufacturers of peanut butter?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bob dobbs is dead posted:

manufacturers of peanut butter?

shouldn't they already know what peanut butter is?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
name offhand w/o google how much linoleic oil is supposed to be in peanut butter, ill wait

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

name offhand w/o google how much linoleic oil is supposed to be in peanut butter, ill wait

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

However much is in the peanuts it's made of, I guess? Peanut butter isn't a specific chemical formula, it's just crushed peanuts.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJzi0BXcGI

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

However much is in the peanuts it's made of, I guess? Peanut butter isn't a specific chemical formula, it's just crushed peanuts.

tell that to the regulators and have fun

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Iron Crowned posted:

shouldn't they already know what peanut butter is?
Standard peanut butter let's them do tests with their lab equipment that should give them a known result so they know when they are measuring their own peanut butter that they can trust the lab tests.
https://www.nist.gov/blogs/taking-measure/going-nuts-over-nists-standard-reference-peanut-butter

Who wants meat homegenate, just like standard mother used to make

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tell that to the regulators and have fun

What regulators? What are they going to do if they catch me crushing peanuts without a mass spectrometer?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Big fines, if you're selling skippy with 80% peanut content instead of 90%

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Big fines, if you're selling skippy with 15% peanut content instead of 95%

You know how much stuff you're adding because you're adding it. As long as you start with at least 95% peanuts then the end product will be at least 95% peanuts regardless of the chemical composition of those peanuts. And if you start with just peanuts and you crush them then what you end up with will be 100% peanut butter every time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
right, and the regulators are supposed to totally trust you that you put in enough peanuts

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tiggum posted:

You know how much stuff you're adding because you're adding it. As long as you start with at least 95% peanuts then the end product will be at least 95% peanuts regardless of the chemical composition of those peanuts. And if you start with just peanuts and you crush them then what you end up with will be 100% peanut butter every time.
God if process industry mass balances were this trustable I might still be in manufacturing instead of computer touching.

The sort of consumer of NIST peanut butter is going to be the mass production sort where a bunch of peanuts, oil, and sugar are gonna get mixed together in what are giant industrial blenders. If there is a malfunction in one of these blenders any one of these components can be held up so that you aren't getting the right amount of peanut solids or oil or sugar in the end product. Among other fuckups, this is just one example to demonstrate the reason of standard peanut butter.

You can run tests at the end to see how well you did because it's not like we have windows into the mixers so that we can tell hey there's a big peanut solids plug in the bottom until we notice the peanut butters gone off. You can't just run tests in a vacuum though, you need procedures and equipment and sometimes the procedures and equipment also malfunction like the process equipment and can tell you peanut butters fine, don't worry.

In comes NIST standard peanut butter. You know this test should always result in, let's call it a Peanut Butter Factor of 5. Maybe your peanut butter has a Factor of 6. Doesn't matter. If you run your test on NIST peanut butter and get 5 you know your test is working ok. Then you trust if you get 6. If the NIST peanut butter ends up at 4, you know something's worn with your test and can't trust that your own peanut butter is truly 6.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, and the regulator is going to measure your product against the reference, so even if you are following the norms in good will, it's better and cheaper for you to do lab analysis against the reference and do corrections on the go in the case something goes wrong than to hope for the best.

Not to mention the reference probably also helps you to monitor the thresholds on certain amounts of pollutants and trace elements that get introduced during the manufacture.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But what if, no regulations

:chaostrump:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Kraft Dinner is just unimpressive macaroni with powdered "cheese sauce" that very likely has no cheese in it. Most elitists I know of froth at the mouth if you so much as breathe the phrase "mac & cheese" near it, which is why you should call it mac & cheese at every opportunity.
Oh, poo poo, is that why it's called Kraft Dinner in Canada, because there's no actual cheese in it? :aaaaa:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I put ketchup and vinegar in my KD

what the gently caress

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ketchup is already tomatoes and vinegar

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ketchup is already tomatoes and vinegar

wtf, that's NASTY

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

wtf, that's NASTY

there is of course also hfcs

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my ketchup story is that dan jurafsky wrote a book about food linguistics poo poo and then he proceeded to do a spiel about it about the etymology of ketchup (he argues from cantonese ke jiap) to literally every seminar he could at school which ended up being a truly dizzying number of seminars, and i was attending like a third of them.

he hijacked the artificial intelligence seminar that he got invited to cuz hes a computational linguist w ketchup. convex optimization on weirdo spaces, 45 min spiel about ketchup, then reinforcement learning dealios that go real fast, that was the surrounding schedule

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KccWUhip8Lo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I understand the concept, but why would anyone need a reference for peanut butter?

They also sell urine.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Cool concept but the naming is straight up Apple Cabin Farms

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Porcupine meatballs are awesome though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sad meatball that is fried but not crusty.

Besides a pale imitation of meat hedgehogs

Fake edit oh dear something strange has happened to my hedgehog

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

Sad meatball that is fried but not crusty.

Besides a pale imitation of meat hedgehogs

Fake edit oh dear something strange has happened to my hedgehog

Is that the guy from the offspring?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

teen witch posted:

Is that the guy from the offspring?
I found it labeled with the delightfully punny name Mett Damon. I can't rightly tell who it looks like because I look in the eyes and see a deep abyss of meat and onions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Considering how horrifying things like that usually look, that one is downright artistic.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Unlike a more popular japanese thing where they send noodles down a slide that customers have to pick out with their chopsticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6V_6X8TeUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ypDDYDl70

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

I found it labeled with the delightfully punny name Mett Damon. I can't rightly tell who it looks like because I look in the eyes and see a deep abyss of meat and onions.

Mett Demon

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

teen witch posted:

Cool concept but the naming is straight up Apple Cabin Farms

My parents had a recipe called porky-pines which was basically this with pork meatballs. It was good as hell.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

Turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004