Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

You've done incredible work Dan. I don't really post ever in here but it's always a treat reading what you've done/are doing/what I wish I could do.

Hopefully I'll be able to see more updates in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

You've done incredible work Dan. I don't really post ever in here but it's always a treat reading what you've done/are doing/what I wish I could do.

Hopefully I'll be able to see more updates in the future!

Thankyou, it's a real boost to morale to hear how people enjoy it

I hope that one day updates will appear here again too, but I'm now caught up to date in the other place and just released a new update there :)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DesperateDan posted:

Thankyou, it's a real boost to morale to hear how people enjoy it

I hope that one day updates will appear here again too, but I'm now caught up to date in the other place and just released a new update there :)

What is the other place, and do I need an invite?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

wooger posted:

What is the other place, and do I need an invite?

https://breadnroses.net/threads/johnny-fiveacres.714/

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

oh hey I hear this place is finally under new management

More, soon?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DesperateDan posted:

More, soon?

:eyepop:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

More, soon?
:unsmith:

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Yesssss

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

HE'S BACK!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Do it!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

old school comrades on the prowl

I'm working on it, much like this friendly duo just not quite as adorable. Sorry that it's a photo of a television but that's what you get with fresh off the press not quite exclusive articles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LxQdUsdhU

If imgur wasn't a such a poo poo you might have already had stuff already, youtube is a real fucker too but at least sometimes it works at releasing videos- this one has badgers and a fox (two actually) searching for and eating leftover bbq sausages and there's a playlist of them too I'm about to try and unfuck

More soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

where hast thou been since I saw thee

https://i.imgur.com/U3mQzBd.mp4

Eh oop. Best bring things up to speed with a quick selection of images, videos and shitposting, if you want to see more detail than that, then you can go look at the posts over on the other place :colbert:

But things will be updated in both places from now

https://i.imgur.com/Ta9Ict1.mp4

Anyway. There were visits and things were brought in and a bbq or two, birds were kept well fed and things kept watered while they needed to be kept watered. Not much otherwise of note has been done other than small jobs, mainly because the ground was too hard to do anything with, and I keep getting my arse kicked by cfs/fibro stuff

Luckily I managed some time with the brushcutter (and a quick, very literal field service)- I hope/hoped to get another cut done to open some more areas up but the weather closed in hard and its been very wet

Excellent bramble crop

Which led to some easy and fine pickings

As well as a lot of scrumped apples

https://i.imgur.com/R36eQFY.mp4

Which in turn made for a lot of good jam

And while one small batch got hosed up, it wasn't so hosed up that I couldn't make booze out of it

The tomatoes at home did me proud too

several kilos worth of proud more than I expected tbh

I'm now in the "eaten tomatoes as part of every meal in the day for several days in a row" club, this tomato, chorizo and onion soup was my fav.

though a lot of other little home gardening projects ended up sadly ignored due to lack of energy/time, the bugs sure had a great year out of it

https://i.imgur.com/Zs3IVZL.mp4

Which was seemingly appreciated by our new magpie friend too

https://i.imgur.com/lECAs5Y.mp4

Ever see a badger collecting bedding before? Quite the technique, imo

The trailcam keeps soldiering on without leaks or serious errors and I'm considering a second unit so please go watch the results and share them with people because it makes me feel happy

The pond became not a pond and then a pond again

Tomorrow should allow some time for a round up of the last few trips as I have been slacking in my documentation efforts, but with the ground approaching planting time I might bugger off to the acres and chuck some trees in the ground instead, even if its raining, because

more, soon

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 13, 2020

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

:five:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

That badger rules, and the slow mo shot of the jam is *chefs kiss*

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

quad damage

I think I already used this as a title at some point but whatever it works well for purpose

one of four

I was going to space these out but frankly between the soreness and the headfog today I can't remember why so instead here's the last 4 visits because if I'm gonna be stuck on a sofa I might as well write about the images that imgur will actually let me upload

This was a resupply trip, at least as far as the photo evidence provides for- what happens off camera stays off camera

And while it was only a few weeks back now, seeing tomatoes and blackberries still just about in season makes me feel nostalgic

Well there that one was, and more, soon? Well it's going to be pretty drat soon because it's just down there a bit

two of four

Well, much like voyager, this is going to take far too long to get to seven of nine

Plants. Delivered.

Every visit included this process which includes cleaning the bird poo poo off the feeders which is lovely when wet

It's very soothing to be stalked and watched over by the cats, who also remind me the union mandates regular breaks

Oh look I actually did something vaguely productive- no matter how well treated the wood, if it's left in contact with wet then freezing mud all winter, it will break down, so I put rocks underneath things

First grape harvest was pleasing, tasty but they are seeded and definitely suited better to wine production. Hopefully next year another vine or two will start producing and I can figure out what I want to clone

First visit where it felt like autumn

These blackberries have been soaking in vodka for x amount of time where x is a range of possible figures from 2018 onwards but it all seems to have worked out very nicely regardless and has now been filtered and bottled up

The blackberry jam wine finished up (the bubbling tapered right off, so there's either not enough sugar left or it got too alcoholic for the yeast to live), got taken off the lees (dead yeast and random bits) and chilled (editors note: its still being chilled. its chill) before tasting and bottling

three of four

I did the star trek pun already didn't I? poo poo

we brought some rocks

but hot drinks were in order first because while it was bright it was really quite cold

https://i.imgur.com/htlitcp.mp4

The bees were doing extra warm up dances for it

the lad had some geodes to split, and the hammer supplied with the kit wouldn't break skin off a rice 'pudden- even with a big brick hammer it still took a lot of effort and time to split them

Pond is very pond again by this point

The blackberries had mostly gone though

Inside the caravan I keep having issues with moisture- I'm fairly sure it's collecting and dripping down (I left pans out in areas of damp carpet) and the fan isn't getting enough solar to count for much- will need some work at some point soon, much like many other things, but for now I just refilled the dehumidifiers and started making plans

four of four

wherein I actually do something approaching actual work

There are too many plants so I brought more rhubarb plants from home because too many plants is a nice problem to have

Now you see here in fig 8.3 we have arranged the plants into a kind of hedgerow formation

And here in fig 8.4 they ended up in the ground in similar positions to fig 8.3 but barely visible

Sadly this involved work, moreso than I expected because the ground was a lot drier than I thought- it was a sandier patch than some too.

https://i.imgur.com/hvU938D.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/YpHEgmk.mp4

I filmed it though so eventually you can watch me doing things in real time but for now here's a timelapse of a bit of it (in two bits because it's the only way it works gently caress you imgur)

I'm tired out and paying for it today, but it was really nice to get a bunch of plants in the ground

Well that's things caught up with and now I'm going to go eat a thing and sleep a bit I guess

but soon we will have to deal with this lot so more soon

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

DesperateDan posted:

Inside the caravan I keep having issues with moisture- I'm fairly sure it's collecting and dripping down (I left pans out in areas of damp carpet) and the fan isn't getting enough solar to count for much- will need some work at some point soon, much like many other things, but for now I just refilled the dehumidifiers and started making plans

You just have one fan hanging in the middle of the roof vent at the moment right?

I had a big condensation problem in my garage which 12V fans wouldn't stop.... but just leaving both the window top panes open one peg works perfectly!

I'd be temped to just make 2 large holes in opposite walls of your van and stick plastic vent covers (perhaps with mesh over too for extra wildlife prevention) on the outside and see if this works better.

Vents like this are cheap https://www.toolstation.com/round-ducting-louvred-grille-154-x-154mm/p95425 and caravans are really not hard to make holes in! (your old one is just 2 sheets of aluminium over a wooden frame with foam in the middle. Try and avoid going through the wooden frame! - so avoid panel joints)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

So for years I have tried to get a shot of a buzzard that wasn't a blur or a mile distant smear of pixels on the horizon, even to the point of crawling on my belly through mud only to fail miserably

https://i.imgur.com/9MMXc2H.mp4

trailcam did me proud, what a fancy looking chicken that is

Tomarse posted:

You just have one fan hanging in the middle of the roof vent at the moment right?

I had a big condensation problem in my garage which 12V fans wouldn't stop.... but just leaving both the window top panes open one peg works perfectly!

I'd be temped to just make 2 large holes in opposite walls of your van and stick plastic vent covers (perhaps with mesh over too for extra wildlife prevention) on the outside and see if this works better.

Vents like this are cheap https://www.toolstation.com/round-ducting-louvred-grille-154-x-154mm/p95425 and caravans are really not hard to make holes in! (your old one is just 2 sheets of aluminium over a wooden frame with foam in the middle. Try and avoid going through the wooden frame! - so avoid panel joints)

There's a few vents around it but often in places that aren't too useful to me now (like under the bench seats) so thats probably a good idea thanks- I'm fairly good at making holes in things and sometimes it's even the thing that needed a hole in it :cripes:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

a feeding run

https://i.imgur.com/km2t3cy.mp4

Just a quick visit to make sure the feeders were topped up and that the squirrels hadn't entirely over-run the place

With just a few supplies brought in because the pain/tiredness levels today are up a bit to put it mildly. Or if you prefer a little spice, loving ouch.

Most notably the new trailcamera- it's specced around the same as the other one but claims its going to record around 5 hours worth on a 32gb card at 1080p compared with half that using the same card on the old camera- I think it might be 30fps vs 60fps but until I pull footage and examine the files I have no idea. I needed new SD cards too, but managed to persuade the older camera to run 64gb cards (it says it won't in the manual but it works fine)- so I will potentially be getting 4x as much footage overall.

Can't forget the little birdhouse- too small for actual bird use, it's going inside the next lizard hotel as the executive suite

I adjusted the ropes holding the tarp over the caravan which in turn allowed enough slack to let me smack the gently caress out of gently massage the roof vent out of it's stuck position into full-open. Hopefully not much clambers in before I get up in there with some chicken wire, but it should help a lot with the moisture till I can whack a few more vents in.

Then it was the union mandated break time- just a nice hot chocolate this time, but with a distinct chill to the air and some very light rain it was nice to watch the leaves fall with.

Really hoping for 2 solid visits in the next week and some plants in the ground/base camp improvements, but life is pretty persistent in throwing poo poo in the way right now- regardless- more soon.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Fun fact about 64gb "SD cards" - they're neither SD cards nor SDHC cards.

This is why a lot of hardware won't officially support them. Whether it means you gotta fire up Linux to format them in FAT32 or that they just fail to work above 32gb is entirely up to chance.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

Then it was the union mandated break time- just a nice hot chocolate this time, but with a distinct chill to the air and some very light rain it was nice to watch the leaves fall with.
That's a nice bit o' land.

Good brew, great view.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 25, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

endlessmonotony posted:

Fun fact about 64gb "SD cards" - they're neither SD cards nor SDHC cards.

This is why a lot of hardware won't officially support them. Whether it means you gotta fire up Linux to format them in FAT32 or that they just fail to work above 32gb is entirely up to chance.

Card is sdxc. Is sixteen better than h, according to the salesman.

From what I can figure, the firmware on the cam happily accepts 64gb cards, but the only way to find out for sure is to more than half fill a card I guess

spookygonk posted:

That's a nice bit o' land.

It's at least 7% nicer with a cadburys hot chocolate though, and studies are indicating that may increase as weather closes in

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Glad to see you back documenting your little slice of paradise, Dan :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Grumio posted:

Well I'm glad to see that you are glad to see that thing what you talked about too :)

things that go beep in the light

So life got in the way again a lot this week

But it was my son's birthday and he wanted to use his new present

https://i.imgur.com/yvtXiJn.gifv

It goes beep and finds things

We found a lot of old cans (old school removable ring pull style) and two lumps of "other" that we are drying out a bit before investigating more

Initial results for the new trailcam are mixed, need to give it a few weeks and figure the best techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YCIrIZKgrE

I also got round to doing some curating and uploaded a video of me doing some work and I also sorted the next few weeks worth of trailcam footage

The car goes in for the dread MOT test on Monday so while I want to say the catchphrase, if the car is hosed (more than I already know it is) then it might be a little while before I next say more soon

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Grumio posted:

And nice to see the bees thriving.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

So, news

there's a third cat. saw it on the newest trailcam footage

More on that soon and at least one visit to update on with maybe another tomorrow

xcheopis posted:

And nice to see the bees thriving.

There's not so many active at the moment but I still see them/hear them

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the seed, batteries and sd cards of autumn

It's really getting pretty autumnal

https://i.imgur.com/wljIGRO.mp4

The camera is good but it doesn't do the colours justice whatsoever

The first trip brought mainly bird food and some auxiliary water

It was a nice bright day

First the bird food was sorted

Then I had some assorted bits of ration packs, including a package of daddy sugar- the french might have removed booze from the official rations but they still really know how to look after the troops

https://i.imgur.com/GQoq1dl.mp4

I'm exceedingly happy when sat outdoors cooking

The spicy chicken pasta was very mediocre in taste and texture, but as it was hot food with fat and protein etc and it was cold outside my brain told me to eat the lot, which I did

Then I did the trailcams and sat and had some more hot drinks- the french chocolate bar is especially good, high cocoa but no bitterness

The pond was/is at a very aesthetically pleasing level

https://i.imgur.com/mOCVqF1.mp4

At home between visits I sharpened up a knife so I could swap out the now very dirty and dull knife, and also relocated my third knife so a proper rotation scheme is back in place

Second trip brought in less stuff

Lots of pretty things though

It was pretty much the same formula of trip, I did the feeders and the cameras and I checked on things and poked around a bit. Still figuring out the new trailcamera, tried a timelapse but it was still set to video mode and so just set off a video recording every 5 minutes- the features are a bit more basic but it has managed a few nice shots so far

I have gotten into the habit of leaving a small pile of seed on the table opposite from where I normally sit, and the robins have gotten very used to it too which is nice to have while I sit and have a drink

There's still some blackberries looking nice, even when parts of the same plant are looking utterly dead- they taste quite bitter in comparison with the summer ones

https://i.imgur.com/KfjK07f.mp4

I was hoping to do some planting yesterday but a flareup means that's gonna be done next week instead, and then if I have some spare funds next week for supplies I plan on putting in some steps on the entrance/exit slope so it's a tad less lethal- another few weeks and the ground will be too cold to do either, and tree cutting season will begin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_MoH13UNgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K5pZ9RcB_c

It did give me some time to put out some short trailcam clips, and sort through some new footage

I remain, as ever, your humble more soon

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I just binge-read this whole thread in two days.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

so I went today to take supplies in and I will probably write it up tomorrow but I couldn't help but bring you all the breaking news on the trailcam front-

The deer are loving and I now have to edit what is essentially some amateur hardcore deer pornography and it all feels a bit seedy

Black Feather posted:

I just binge-read this whole thread in two days.

Welcome on in, I shall get the kettle on :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

DesperateDan posted:

so I went today to take supplies in and I will probably write it up tomorrow but I couldn't help but bring you all the breaking news on the trailcam front-

The deer are loving and I now have to edit what is essentially some amateur hardcore deer pornography and it all feels a bit seedy

If nature documentaries can show it I'm sure you can too :colbert:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

If nature documentaries can show it I'm sure you can too :colbert:

the difference between a documentary and porn is the lack of a soundtrack in this case

slabs and soil

Ey up.

Today was meant to be bringing this up here and doing planting, but due to continued cfs/fibro flareup poo poo I was utterly worn out before I even had half this poo poo in the car, let alone dragged out to the acres. More blood tests await me, and I can maybe have another crack at some planting next week.

But that doesn't mean I won't abide by union rules

https://i.imgur.com/mhjRKmq.mp4

Been keeping up with the trailcams though, and spent today at home processing episodes 24 through to 29

https://i.imgur.com/truRvIU.mp4

Which also means I can show you thirdcatte, and can even hint at rumours of a fourth catte

https://i.imgur.com/cJXPVrU.mp4

Birds were fed too, even a little bread for a treat

Was really good for me to get out even if I couldn't get what I wanted done- the colours and general feel of autumn was magical. First a visit to the vampires, then more soon

Clarence
May 3, 2012

You've tried at least a couple of different trail cameras, Dan. Is there a model you''d recommend?

We're going to get ourselves one for Xmas to try and find out whether it's a badger or a fox that is making a trail through the field.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Clarence posted:

You've tried at least a couple of different trail cameras, Dan. Is there a model you''d recommend?

We're going to get ourselves one for Xmas to try and find out whether it's a badger or a fox that is making a trail through the field.

Yeah sure, just get the Neewer branded one I have and hope it's cool, otherwise the Victure one will give you the same image quality for less cash, but worse IR lighting (it's too bright in the centre, washes out the image for things up close) for night shots.

Alternatively read on, and probably become increasingly confused because codeine makes me talkative but not really sensical

I'm planning on giving the new Victure one another few weeks then doing a comparative review, but here's the gist of things which also lets me draft out my thoughts for the script for that-

You get to pick between two price ranges and they comprise of the largely chinese made ones claiming 1080p/60fps (lol) and the posher ones with WiFi/4g etc that apparently do 4k but I only have experience of the former so that's what I will chat about.

There's quite a few brands of cheaper trailcam but they all seem to use common parts- it's probably a company or two supplying multiple resellers who have their own branding/fascia/slight firmware changes.

Build quality varies a lot- the same make/model of camera I sent back for not working properly/serious water leaks is being used by a neighboring farmer and he hasn't had a single issue with his, and I have seen similar things happen in reviews- so buy it from somewhere with a no hassle return policy.

Beware especially cheap/old cameras as the claimed infrared lights are often quite visible to the naked eye (will spook animals/give away where the camera is to a potential thief), and also take claims of image quality/frames per second with a pinch of salt- the Neewer certainly makes 60fps files according to the video properties, but it does so by doing 30fps and copying each frame- it does nothing for the quality of the image.

Both of my current cameras will do timelapse recordings but don't do anything else when set to that while other cameras that are practically identical will happily do time lapse pictures and still work on motion detection when not otherwise busy. The Neewer can show light and temperature details on both videos and photos, the other only does it on photos. The Neewer will also let me adjust/turn off the IR lights, the other has no settings whatsoever for that but has various microphone settings the Neewer doesnt. It's all just annoying software poo poo, but there aren't updates for either of my current cams.

Two sets of SD cards/rechargeable batteries are a good asset to have, otherwise the camera is out of action till you return with fresh batteries/cards. The very old cameras won't work with the 1.2V rechargeable AA types, and it's worth noting even when the batteries are fully charged both my cameras report only half full because they are programmed to expect 1.5V per cell.

The camera only does half the job too- the rest is split evenly between good ambush placement/prep and sheer luck- I have had one of the cams by the pond in exactly the same place using the exact same settings for at least half a dozen rotations now and the number of good exposures per week varies wildly.

Good luck!

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Thanks Dan. I'll take a look at the Neewer one.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A fourth catte?!? How are we so blessed in this degenerate age I just do not know.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Clarence posted:

Thanks Dan. I'll take a look at the Neewer one.

Good luck and come back and post some animals :)

xcheopis posted:

A fourth catte?!? How are we so blessed in this degenerate age I just do not know.

If I keep making offerings to the elder gods perhaps they will smile upon us

And by that I mean I have baited both cams with cat food, fingers crossed!

a succulent chinese meal

So here we are again

Brought in some salvaged bathroom sink unit, something to dry clothes on and some cat food, amongst other stuff

Caught some condensation on the ceiling of the caravan, around the open vent out- good to have my suspicions confirmed. Since the roof vent has been opened the amount of fallen water seems less, still hoping to put some more vents in soon.

Took care of the birds, then I took care of some fabulous deer pate

I was spied upon

My soul embiggened, I got on with putting plants in the ground

https://i.imgur.com/hb6TuXw.mp4

I picked exact planting spots in the area I wanted with a metal detector rather than throwing the shovel and planting where it landed- a break from traditional approaches but it yielded exciting treasure!

Like a rusty tent peg and a bit of pottery that happened to be there too!

And iron rich sand deposits!

And some crap like an old ringpull, a lump of rust and a screw that I didn't even take pictures of! Just look at that!

Lunch was this fantastic chinese style pork also from the rcir pack, with a hefty dose of daddy sugar for my coffee.

I ended up with 8 plants in the ground, 7 assorted shrubs and a mystery tree- I forgot which one it was and the lack of leaves means I can't ID it till spring, all I can remember is that it was the last shade tolerant/non fruit one and hence great for bulking out this bit of hedgerow covering the pathway into the caravan area.

When I got back to the car I scoped our friend here watching me and I got to spend a few minutes just chilling with them while I got changed and caught my breath

Plants in ground, gently caress yeah. More soon.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I had no clue metal detectors could be used to pick good planting spots.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh yeah wherever it beeps always ends up with a hole for a plant.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Black Feather posted:

I had no clue metal detectors could be used to pick good planting spots.

Neither did I till I thought about all the holes I already dug out that probably just missed a treasure trove of roman coins/a saxon king's hoard/a WW2 cache of bren guns and grenades/tent pegs and I got sad about it

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh yeah wherever it beeps always ends up with a hole for a plant.

And so far it has indicated at least a trace signal in almost all of the exact spots I wanted to put a plant- I might need to check its not set to dowsing rod mode

lazy vampires

Well here I am again with less blood than before

a backup tarp for the caravan roof (its green on the other side), water, stale bread and some other junk that might be useful some time

Bird feeders are currently about empty after around a week. I was keeping track of it at some point then forgot, feels like there's a peak in summer and a peak in winter but I want numbers on it

After the feeders and waterbaths were sorted I had a mocha and a sit down with the robins, who are making loud peep sounds at me from increasingly close vantage points and I don't mind informing you, dear reader, that the prospect of them getting close enough to act like I'm snow white feels closer by the visit

Some quince and berberis flowers appearing- eventually I want something flowering at all times of the year for the bees if I can manage it, and these two are some tough customers indeed

The trailcams have been in the same place for a few weeks, so to properly compare capability/footage/etc I swapped them round with hopefully the same positions/angles

Had planned on some more planting but a mid-size flareup started so I bailed out after some light tasks rather than press on and screw myself over for the next few days- besides, I forgot the metal detector, and would have obviously missed out on my fortune otherwise

Remember this crap me and the youngest dug up a few weeks back? Well I had forgotten it too until it fell out from behind the radiator where it had been drying

We cleaned them up a little and here's what they look like- still no real idea what either was- the remaining dirt on the first piece is very tough and concrete like, and the segmented construction makes me think of an old style bucket, the smaller bit seems to have paint on both sides. When I get a chance I intend on investigating some more to try and figure out what metals they are made of, and I'm going to have to set aside an area for a museum because it belongs in a museum along with the old bovril bottle, a few spent shotgun cartridges and the tent peg of akhenaten

More, soon?

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

cool stuff.

DesperateDan posted:

We cleaned them up a little and here's what they look like- still no real idea what either was- the remaining dirt on the first piece is very tough and concrete like, and the segmented construction makes me think of an old style bucket, the smaller bit seems to have paint on both sides. When I get a chance I intend on investigating some more to try and figure out what metals they are made of, and I'm going to have to set aside an area for a museum because it belongs in a museum along with the old bovril bottle, a few spent shotgun cartridges and the tent peg of akhenaten

More, soon?

This almost looks like it has graduations on it with a track. Maybe some kind of vernier caliper part?