Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I could be wrong, but I thought spending hours making and remaking factories was kinda the whole point. If that's not fun for you, what's the draw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought spending hours making and remaking factories was kinda the whole point. If that's not fun for you, what's the draw?

For me, making it once is fun. Remaking it a 2nd time, identically, is work.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hmm I feel like I'm hitting a bit of a snag.

The base nuclear reactor is way too small to give the look I want, so I'm obviously gonna have to go with multiples, but mechanically, I'm not sure how that all plays out. If I decide to go with a 3x2 'base' arrangement on all 8 points, and then maybe have an extra four or five stacked on top, is it possible to sustain up to 90 reactors without massively loving something up? Or am I gonna have to run something else.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hmm I feel like I'm hitting a bit of a snag.

The base nuclear reactor is way too small to give the look I want, so I'm obviously gonna have to go with multiples, but mechanically, I'm not sure how that all plays out. If I decide to go with a 3x2 'base' arrangement on all 8 points, and then maybe have an extra four or five stacked on top, is it possible to sustain up to 90 reactors without massively loving something up? Or am I gonna have to run something else.

Going by the wiki, assuming you mined all the uranium on the map and had the right alternate recipes you could supply ~470 reactors. It's more a matter of making them fit in whatever you have planned for that structure, making things neat in a circular building is inherently going to be a pain.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The thing about 90 nuclear reactors is the infrastructure to make all the fuel rods for them would probably take up the rest of that huge plate.

Alternately, if it's looks that you are concerned with you could get micromanage and use it to make the nuke buildings bigger. Micromanage can scale things up and down. It'd feel like cheating to me to make machines tiny, so I don't do that. But there's no possible objection to making things huge.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

You could always build something to mimic the mako reactors and just put the actual reactor on top for the steam.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Looks like there's an engine update coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kmDHBWf640

Somewhat technical in nature, it's more about what Coffee Stain could do with the new engine rather than what they're definitely doing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

What is that guys accent? It seems like he slips into some sort of British accent occasionally. It doesn't matter in the long run I'm just curious.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

What is that guys accent? It seems like he slips into some sort of British accent occasionally. It doesn't matter in the long run I'm just curious.

Sounds like a normal Swedish accent to me, but what do I know, I'm from Texas.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Sounds like a normal Swedish accent to me.

Ah there you go.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Jace is aussie not swedish.

(I don't watch a ton of their streams, but right before 3.5 I was watching the dev Q&A stuff. And the other community guy, who I'm pretty sure is swedish, asked Jace what the aussie word "wog" meant and Jace was like nononononono you can't say that.)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
For an Aussie his accent is remarkably Swedish

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I have a weird problem that I'm not sure how to google. I just had to tear up my train unloading area at one of my stations because a smart splitter stopped working. I deleted the input conveyor belt to make sure something unexpected wasn't stuck in it, but now anytime I try to re-attach it, it says it's "too steep". Is there any way to fix it?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've had "too steep" messages when trying to hook things up backwards, double check that?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

I have a weird problem that I'm not sure how to google. I just had to tear up my train unloading area at one of my stations because a smart splitter stopped working. I deleted the input conveyor belt to make sure something unexpected wasn't stuck in it, but now anytime I try to re-attach it, it says it's "too steep". Is there any way to fix it?

Try deleting the splitter and conveyor, connecting conveyor directly between A and B, and then build the splitter directly onto that conveyor.

Smart & programmable splitters have a weirdly low IO port that produces the too steep problem when you place them very close to the IO of a machine, despite normal splitters working in that location.

(Alternately, the micromanage mod can move things around by small amounts, so you can use that to raise the smart splitter by 1/10th of a meter.)

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Installed a mod that added 32x1 and other foundations and it’s great but ramps don’t seem to snap to it. Anyone have a mod they recommend for mass placing foundations?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Closing in on the Golden Nut, this should get me there and I'm guessing it will take about 100 hours to set up and drive me insane in the process. All the basic resources and water are being fed into the building, floor 1 has 60 out of the 200 refineries I need just for copper ingot production. Fitting enough extractors to generate 9300 water was kind of tough since there are rocks and shallow areas everywhere in the lake and the moth swoops down through the west section which makes it off limits. Floor 2 is already twice the space as floor 1, floors are going to get increasingly bigger as I build up and can expand towards the cliff. The added space per floor should help to make this a bit less maddening.

Once this is done I think I'll be genuinely finished with the game until 1.0 arrives. Would rather wait until that point before starting massive projects like this but nothing else really scratches the same itch as Satisfactory.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Brain Curry posted:

Installed a mod that added 32x1 and other foundations and it’s great but ramps don’t seem to snap to it. Anyone have a mod they recommend for mass placing foundations?

Smart! (formerly Smart Foundations) is the most compatible mod for bulk construction of foundations (and a selection of buildings). While it *can* put foundations/buildings in funky spots, it's 100% compatible with all vanilla foundations and even a few foundation mods.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Christmas event is up. Made a big ol christmas tree already. Looks like there is a whole line to research in the MAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPhE49zcOok

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ClassH posted:

Christmas event is up. Made a big ol christmas tree already. Looks like there is a whole line to research in the MAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPhE49zcOok

OMG Lighting!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Is it just me or can I not figure out how/where to make the globes?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:aaaaa: I WANT ROPE LIGHTS ON POWER CABLES AT ALL TIMES FOREVER :aaaaa:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Once this is done I think I'll be genuinely finished with the game until 1.0 arrives. Would rather wait until that point before starting massive projects like this but nothing else really scratches the same itch as Satisfactory.

I got to the same point, I expanded my train route around the game map. Set up another huge train station to mine the aluminum sheets for heat sinks. Made a small factory I could feed in materials to make turbo motors and made over 200. Then I planned out what I would need to do a simple 20 turbo motor/min setup. Another train route, much shorter, route to do it. Then I figured if I did that then there would be nothing left to do. So I just stopped playing.

Loaded up for a bit to check out the xmax event, its ok.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

Is it just me or can I not figure out how/where to make the globes?

The red and blue ornaments are not released yet, the 3rd or 4th supposedly. In the hub you click on the calendar and type in the day and you can click on it to get your present for the day.
Worth mentioning you can't manually craft any of this stuff. From the people who have changed their computer date to unlock it all is the below

branches, candy canes, snow,bows are in the CONSTRUCTOR
red and blue ornament are in the SMELTER
iron and copper ornaments are in the FOUNDRY
multiple ornaments,wreath are in the ASSEMBLER

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Tenzarin posted:

I got to the same point, I expanded my train route around the game map. Set up another huge train station to mine the aluminum sheets for heat sinks. Made a small factory I could feed in materials to make turbo motors and made over 200. Then I planned out what I would need to do a simple 20 turbo motor/min setup. Another train route, much shorter, route to do it. Then I figured if I did that then there would be nothing left to do. So I just stopped playing.

A ... simple ... 20 turbo motor / min setup? Isn't that, like, hundreds of buildings?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

thark posted:

A ... simple ... 20 turbo motor / min setup? Isn't that, like, hundreds of buildings?

Going by Satisfactory Tools, this is the most efficient way to make 20 turbo motors per minute.

Seems like beginner stuff to me, not sure what you're taking about.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Going by Satisfactory Tools, this is the most efficient way to make 20 turbo motors per minute.

Need more alt recipes. I bet we can get it way more complex by working turbo fuel into the mix somehow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

pfft if you wanna make that point you should show the satisfactory-calculator layout instead

... annnnny minute now

ClassH posted:

Need more alt recipes. I bet we can get it way more complex by working turbo fuel into the mix somehow.

Unfortunately the one bad part of satisfactory tools is that it disregards any alt recipe that doesn't reduce raw material consumption. (I am frequently annoyed by this as I really like the alt recipe "bolted iron plate". But since it's 10 screws less efficient than the base recipe it will never be used.)

LonsomeSon posted:

:aaaaa: I WANT ROPE LIGHTS ON POWER CABLES AT ALL TIMES FOREVER :aaaaa:

also this, someone definitely needs to make a mod to keep lit cables forever.

One ficsmas thing to watch out for: if a present lands on a truck autopilot route, it can block the truck while you're in drive range rather than teleport range.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The only thing I don't like about using these websites is that I have no idea where to visualize the mountains are between these lines. If they wanted to make these auto figure out to build sites to be good, they should add in a grid map where to place all the conveyor belts through the world also.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenzarin posted:

The only thing I don't like about using these websites is that I have no idea where to visualize the mountains are between these lines. If they wanted to make these auto figure out to build sites to be good, they should add in a grid map where to place all the conveyor belts through the world also.

Uhhhh, that's not what it does. It's a flowchart of nothing but the resource flows. If you look closely those boxes say stuff like 16x manucafturer, because you need 16 manufacturers to output 40 computers per minute.

Sourcing the raw materials and figuring out the physical layout is up to you.

(Also the whole chart is pretty useless when it comes to turbomotors, you have to start breaking it into sub-parts because even with a list to guide you it's really hard to manage.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

Uhhhh, that's not what it does. It's a flowchart of nothing but the resource flows. If you look closely those boxes say stuff like 16x manucafturer, because you need 16 manufacturers to output 40 computers per minute.

Sourcing the raw materials and figuring out the physical layout is up to you.

Well the first step is "7680 crude oil" so I would start by making a giant structure in the center of the map and piping 3/4 of the oil in the entire game to that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be lying if there wasn't a deep, dark part of my brain that, every time I set up a new large scale build for a resource, seeing just how close i can get to maxing out a mk5 conveyor on final output.

Obviously past a point I'm sure it's impossible but I still like to imagine those 700 some odd turbo motors per minute just chugging along at the end of the continent spanning conveyor hell that facilitates it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The maximum production of turbo motors in the game currently is 156/min. It would be a map wide factory to do that also.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Well the first step is "7680 crude oil" so I would start by making a giant structure in the center of the map and piping 3/4 of the oil in the entire game to that.

I'd start by picking up some hard drives :smug:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Obviously past a point I'm sure it's impossible but I still like to imagine those 700 some odd turbo motors per minute just chugging along at the end of the continent spanning conveyor hell that facilitates it.

even in my imagination this is running at 8 frames per second

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Klyith posted:

even in my imagination this is running at 8 frames per second

Start overclocking you scrub. *injects speed directly into my brainstem*

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

I'd start by picking up some hard drives :smug:

Didn't realize I'd forgotten to turn on alt recipes for the original graph, let's run it again.

There we go, now that's a genuine nightmare. Uses barely any oil though, so I guess that's a bonus? If you maximize the recipe instead of setting it to output 20/min it looks like the real limiters are bauxite and raw quartz, if you used up the entire map supply of both you could end up producing 156 turbo motors/min. Would also still end up using about half the caterium, 3/4 of the oil, and you would need to feed the whole thing ~32,000 water/min.

You'd get an extra .02 aluminum ingots/min out of it though, so that's a nice bonus.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Allegedly the devs said that the playable map is only part of the full game. If true could make the datamined access anywhere storage containers needed for super late game stuff.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

ClassH posted:

The red and blue ornaments are not released yet, the 3rd or 4th supposedly. In the hub you click on the calendar and type in the day and you can click on it to get your present for the day.
Worth mentioning you can't manually craft any of this stuff. From the people who have changed their computer date to unlock it all is the below

branches, candy canes, snow,bows are in the CONSTRUCTOR
red and blue ornament are in the SMELTER
iron and copper ornaments are in the FOUNDRY
multiple ornaments,wreath are in the ASSEMBLER

Had to jump the gun after reading that. I was expecting to just make a little hand fed factory for this, but it looks like it's going to have to be a legit Xmas factory.

You can attach conveyor belts to the Christmas Tree to get a steady stream of gifts. Clearly this is the future for biofuel.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What is that true about the tree and conveyor belts? I put down the tree and just was puzzled how I could decorate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Tenzarin posted:

What is that true about the tree and conveyor belts? I put down the tree and just was puzzled how I could decorate it.

The big tree you build first is just a progress indicator, it will decorate itself as you level up the tech tree.
But in the next tier you can build smaller ficmas gift trees that can be belted up to and produce gifts. I think it's two more days for it to unlock normally.

I can only imagine it won't be long until we see folks with massive forests producing gifts.