Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

that isn't the whitest jesus I ever saw but its close

Edit for cat tax

https://i.imgur.com/truRvIU.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Apparently the rona can linger in the air for three hours so showing up at 9 when it's quiet (if indeed it is) gets you all the virus from the evening rush at 6, and it travels up to 13 feet

Just like, pick up some heavy poo poo at home then put it down again, are you trying to get healthy or unhealthy here

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

Think I'm going to go to the gym now it's reopened

rip

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I once reclined about half way on a long haul flight (so decent plane, room for reclining) and the guy behind me reacted by punching my seat repeatedly full force. I turned around and asked what the gently caress he was doing. He replied that I'd reclined, so I said I knew that I'd reclined, and asked again why he was punching my seat. We went back and forth like this for a while until I just told him to grow up, and that he could punch my seat as much as he wanted, I was sitting like this. What followed was 10 hours of my seat being occasionally punched, me reclining a little further, my seat being punched again, me going up a bit because honestly the punching was pretty annoying, and gradually getting drunker and seeing how far back I could go before he punched my seat again. The guys was like 60 and by all appearances a totally normal looking guy. Didn't look even the slightest bit gammony. I really tried to level with him, and even got up to check he didn't have long legs or anything. Nope, pretty small fella. I'll always remember that flight.

On the second leg I got sat next to an already extremely drunk woman from LA. She was about 50, I was probably 22. I was kinda drunk after a long layover too so we got chatting and there was a little bit of flirting. Then she starts whipping out 50cl miniatures and necking them at a rate of 1 every 15 or so minutes. She starts leaning closer and I notice that she has that weird coffee/tuna breath that people sometimes get. Eventually she passes out with one leg over me and her face firmly planted on my ear. There was not one single other seat on the whole plane.

In all seriousness I actually really like flying for these odd interactions. I've met some really cool people sat on planes and in airports, and even the less cool people make good stories. I really can't wait to fly long haul again to be honest, I'm one of those freaks who quite enjoys the whole experience of being in this weird little social ecosystem 15000 feet in the air thundering at close to the speed of sound across the planet. At worst, it's sitting getting drunk and watching movies and reading books. Unless you start expressing symptoms of severe norovirus halway to Singapore :) :) :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm just going to have to go to the dentist at this rate. At least it's a 9am appointment.

Last checkup was the week before things started locking down and it was already a bit tense in the waiting room. A quaint little sign up warning about people about travel from China.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my last flight i drank so much and went to piss so much i got the elderly couple in the seats next to me, since i had a window seat, bumped up to first class and was able to get drunker and then stretch out across the aisle to sleep

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jose posted:

my last flight i drank so much and went to piss so much i got the elderly couple in the seats next to me, since i had a window seat, bumped up to first class and was able to get drunker and then stretch out across the aisle to sleep

This is pro-flying. There's a real art to getting the air staff to like you enough to never cut you off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i got cut off but went up to ask after pissing and the guy said "yeah he seems fine" and i got another drink

don't fly air france or have a layover in CdG in paris if you want to get drunk though

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A couple years ago I boarded a plane and immediately wedged something (a book maybe? I can't remember) between my seat and the seat in front of me, covering it up with my hoodie. Sure enough 5 minutes after the plane took off the woman in front of me was trying to recline and became visibly distressed and frustrated that the mechanism was 'broken', while I sat there being smug as all gently caress.

I have long legs so recliners can go gently caress themselves. That having been said if they'd had the courage to ask I'd have happily let them, at least for a few hours

Please tell me how to do this.

My personal favourite is when someone decides to fully recline the seat in the middle of the meal service, jolting half the contents of my tray into my lap. And then I have to recline a touch to give myself any room to actually eat, pissing off the person behind. There surely has to be a way of laying out a cabin that makes it way more comfortable without sacrificing too much occupancy. Airlines barely make anything on economy class anyway.

I've been tempted to bite the bullet and fly business class a few times when I've been on a long haul flight and seen last minute deals at the airport to upgrade for a couple hundred extra quid, but I know I'd end up feeling totally burnt the second I got off the plane. The idea of having plenty of space and actually nice food and good free booze on demand rather than being packed in like a sardine for 12 hours sounds just incredible.

Jakabite posted:

This is pro-flying. There's a real art to getting the air staff to like you enough to never cut you off.

Always get an aisle seat if you can it makes everything easier, the view from the window is cool but not worth having to sheepishly ask people to move so you can go to the toilet every twenty mins once the drink hits you.

I always feel super uncomfortable asking for booze outside of the trolley service times though. I know it's technically an open bar but apart from one cabin crew lady on BA who was hilarious and kept sneaking me extra beers I always feel like I'm being judged and scowled at when I use the call button.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/AnsgarTOdinson/status/1334015546979803137

A guy at work said some 5G conspiracy nuts had torn down a tower near his house in Cornwall

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

No, the assholes are the ones who built the plan so cramped that you can't comfortably recline a reclinable seat in the first place.
:hai:
Classless planes, classless societies.

e: :lmao: at that tweet ^^

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vigil for Virgil posted:

https://twitter.com/AnsgarTOdinson/status/1334015546979803137

A guy at work said some 5G conspiracy nuts had torn down a tower near his house in Cornwall

Earlier this year some outfit was flogging an anti-5G device for over £300: it was a USB stick (can't remember how many mB) with a pdf file on it about 5G.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

My favourite plane interaction was a short haul flight. Sitting next to a woman who was about 50 years old (I was mid 20s) and noticing she kept glancing at my laptop. I was watching Good Will Hunting for the first time, and only 20 years too late or so. Anyway, I eventually asked her what's up and apparently it's her favourite movie so we shared my headphones and watched it together.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ThomasPaine posted:

My personal favourite is when someone decides to fully recline the seat in the middle of the meal service, jolting half the contents of my tray into my lap. And then I have to recline a touch to give myself any room to actually eat, pissing off the person behind. There surely has to be a way of laying out a cabin that makes it way more comfortable without sacrificing too much occupancy. Airlines barely make anything on economy class anyway.

Yeah, I'm not fussed about reclining myself, but I'll join in if everyone's doing it at Designated Sleeping Time (although I often disagree with the airline on when that should be, based on the time zone of arrival). But at other times, just don't.

I was once in the middle bit behind a very small child (maybe 4?), whose mother was across the aisle from him. He was so small his legs barely left the seat cushion. The mother insisted on reclining his seat for him as soon as we were at altitude, and the only relief I got for the whole flight home from Shanghai was when the cabin crew made her straighten it up for meal times.

E: I think that was the time I recognised the cabin crew from the flight over, and they were confused why I was on my way home 36 hours later. Like "I know why we're doing that, but..."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If I could buy a magic device that could wirelessly connect to non-wireless devices you know I would. Hell, I'd buy ten.

Maybe some kind of daisy-chain of nanobots that makes a string between your phone and the network port

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Earlier this year some outfit was flogging an anti-5G device for over £300: it was a USB stick (can't remember how many mB) with a pdf file on it about 5G.

Could be worse, could be radioactive. That's what some of the weird kook devices are, just radioactive slag.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

If I could buy a magic device that could wirelessly connect to non-wireless devices you know I would. Hell, I'd buy ten.

Maybe some kind of daisy-chain of nanobots that makes a string between your phone and the network port
DrayTek's VigorAP does that but it seems the WFH crew bought them all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

I asked my wife and she reminded me what I did. It wasn't a book.

I hand-crafted a piece of wood for that exact purpose a few weeks before the (international) flight, tested it on a domestic flight (for work that i happened to have a few days before) and took it with me on holiday.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I don't know how people can drink on flights, something about the air makes me feel hungover and awful ~45 minutes after having anything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gort posted:

I keep meaning to look up how to get my samsung laser printer (non-wifi equipped) wifi enabled so I can use it without having to drag a usb cable on an extension lead across my living room. My wifi enabled canon inkjet printer which costs more to run gets more use simply because of the bother of digging out the cable for the other one.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I hand-crafted a piece of wood for that exact purpose a few weeks before the (international) flight, tested it on a domestic flight (for work that i happened to have a few days before) and took it with me on holiday.

You could sell those.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wasn't there some kerfuffle a while back (maybe a year or two) about people buying things specifically to have that function and getting thrown off flights if they tried to use them or fined or somesuch?

Knee defender:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/22-gadget-could-get-you-kicked-flight-n189191

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It's extra frustrating for me because I'm 100% categorically unable to sleep on planes (at least not in economy but I've never been in the fancier classes) so when they turn off the lights it just makes me unpleasantly tired and groggy without any way of actually getting any relief. I sometimes wish they'd just leave the lights on, people have sleep masks if they need them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wasn't there some kerfuffle a while back (maybe a year or two) about people buying things specifically to have that function and getting thrown off flights if they tried to use them or fined or somesuch?

Knee defender:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/22-gadget-could-get-you-kicked-flight-n189191

Yeah, that's what inspired me. Those things are ridiculously expensive for some reason so I made my own solution.

It's all coming back to me now. The difficult bit is knowing the length you need, so I had to figure out a way of making it adjustable. I honestly can't remember how I did that because I probably wouldn't have got away with taking nuts and bolts on the flight so maybe i had some dowel or something.

Anyway it was a trip to america and I accidentally left it in a hostel in san francisco.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
boris will be giving a briefing shortly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-55155953

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yeah, that's what inspired me. Those things are ridiculously expensive for some reason so I made my own solution.

It's all coming back to me now. The difficult bit is knowing the length you need, so I had to figure out a way of making it adjustable. I honestly can't remember how I did that because I probably wouldn't have got away with taking nuts and bolts on the flight so maybe i had some dowel or something.

Anyway it was a trip to america and I accidentally left it in a hostel in san francisco.

:dong:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Convex posted:

Who cares

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Gort posted:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I keep meaning to look up how to get my samsung laser printer (non-wifi equipped) wifi enabled so I can use it without having to drag a usb cable on an extension lead across my living room. My wifi enabled canon inkjet printer which costs more to run gets more use simply because of the bother of digging out the cable for the other one.

You both want a Wireless Ethernet Bridge

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I can only imagine how many fights that causes when people investigate and see you sitting there with a poo poo eating grin and a giant metal bar propping their seat forward.

I don't see the point of reclining at all though tbh, the extra room it gives you is barely worth it and all you're doing is annoying people.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TLDR: i got my wood out on a plane an upset a woman

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks.
I'll explore more - when I looked at these before they seemed to need an ethernet port (which printer doesn't have).
I was thinking there must be something I can plug into the USB (macro-sized) on the printer that will talk to the wifi network.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks.
I'll explore more - when I looked at these before they seemed to need an ethernet port (which printer doesn't have).
I was thinking there must be something I can plug into the USB (macro-sized) on the printer that will talk to the wifi network.

I mean, technically a Raspberry Pi with CUPS and Samba, sure :science:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks.
You might want to try something like this if you don't fancy rolling your own solution, but it can be apparently quite picky.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not really a fan of Gavin and Stacey, but there was one good episode where the whole plot revolved around the Essex family organising a protest against a mobile phone mast because of the terrifying radiation, while all through the ep all the characters constantly complain about how bad their phone reception is, and how the phone company should do something about it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

My favourite plane interaction was a short haul flight. Sitting next to a woman who was about 50 years old (I was mid 20s) and noticing she kept glancing at my laptop. I was watching Good Will Hunting for the first time, and only 20 years too late or so. Anyway, I eventually asked her what's up and apparently it's her favourite movie so we shared my headphones and watched it together.

I was watching Always Sunny on the in-flight entertainment thing and unfortunately it was Lethal Weapon 5 with the *incredibly* long Danny DeVito sex scene which I couldn't stop laughing at, then when I noticed the bloke next to me looking appalled at the screen it sent me completely over the edge to the point I started to worry they were gonna call out the fighter escort.

Also fun fact - most airlines have less leg room than a London bus. If I can't afford Premium Economy I just don't go, because basically otherwise I end up losing a day at each end of the holiday to leg and back aches (not particularly tall, just old).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You might want to try something like this if you don't fancy rolling your own solution, but it can be apparently quite picky.

That looks handy. (Confession: I have never used bluetooth connection on anything.!)

(I'm not in the market for a Raspberry Pi - I've decided that I don't have enough time left on earth to learn everything I want to learn so have decided against that one!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder why 5G got all the conspiracies. Like yeah there's the people who said it about mobile phone masts in general and power lines and radio masts and the telegraph and pencils and whatever, but 3G and 4G didn't get the same high grade nonsense as 5G.

Convex posted:

quote:

PM to lead press conference at 5pm
So about half 7 then?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder why 5G got all the conspiracies. Like yeah there's the people who said it about mobile phone masts in general and power lines and radio masts and the telegraph and pencils and whatever, but 3G and 4G didn't get the same high grade nonsense as 5G.

So about half 7 then?

I think it's because it struck in the same year as Covid and people though that 5G was spreading it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

yeah the thing you'll need since the printer doesn't have ethernet is a usb print server. unfortunately they're pricey, picky, and pretty poorly reviewed. you might consider selling your samsung and using it to offset the purchase of something like this if the final price delta isn't too much for you (i have one and like it):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL...06928536&sr=8-3

i dunno if it's something that's feasible for you, but if your router has a usb port on it, it may already support acting as a print server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I solve all airline related problems by having never flown since before 9/11