Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Greenplastic posted:

Spoiler for the endgame room after the boss:

https://www.reddit.com/r/noita/comments/k57uqi/does_this_remind_anyone_of_goatse_or_is_it_just/

"Does this remind anyone of Goatse or is it just me? LMAO"

So Hempuli, what about adding a ring to one of the fingers? :P

I mean its the literal first thing i thought of when i beat the boss the first time

Edit: Beat the boss (8th win) yesterday and decided to dick around because i had an overpowered digging wand, only to die before i made it (back) to the portal. I consider it a win. Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

animatorZed posted:

e: in less insanely idiotic news, finally managed to kill this rear end in a top hat

https://i.imgur.com/f0iT3n1.mp4

Dang, congrats, that's a kill that's still eluded me. It feels like unless you get homing or rapid-fire damage fields, pretty much nothing will kill it quickly.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
If anything damage fields make it harder since the tick with trigger its resistance shield and your actual projectile won't do much

I have the best luck with a single projectile amped up with massive +dmg mods

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that damage field didn't tick the shield. But it wouldn't surprise me if that were no longer the case, since it does feel like an exploit. In any case, in the quoted video you can see the Collector's healthbar dropping pretty dang fast.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

Spoiler for the endgame room after the boss:

https://www.reddit.com/r/noita/comments/k57uqi/does_this_remind_anyone_of_goatse_or_is_it_just/

"Does this remind anyone of Goatse or is it just me? LMAO"

So Hempuli, what about adding a ring to one of the fingers? :P

i was thinking the ring should turn gold first, then the rest of the world.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dang, congrats, that's a kill that's still eluded me. It feels like unless you get homing or rapid-fire damage fields, pretty much nothing will kill it quickly.

Thanks. tbh I'm not 100% sure why this setup dusted him as opposed to my previous attempts which mostly had ended with me bailing out or dying. The other attempts were also somewhat similar looking murder beams, sometimes with damage field.

This one has +bounces and the weaker homing from the perk instead of the modifier so maybe that did something since I lured him into a tight space instead of fighting him in the chasm.

Alternatively, might just be that the numbers on this one are ridiculous.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I found the portal-cube thing in the coal mines while I already had a permanent laser digging wand. Decided to see where it's located in the world, digging straight up.

I didn't see exactly where I ended up, but I got one-shot by an undead alchemist who was waiting right above the exit I made.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the orb/bridge boss can be one-shot, the problem is (like was mentioned) it gets invuln every time it takes damage and it has really high resistance to most damage.

it's one of the places spells to power shines; either fart out a ton of long-living projectiles and then cast a projectile with StP, or utilize a setup that constantly casts StP and thus charges itself until you stop firing

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

I did it, I beat the regular ending by completing the work.

All I needed was this absolutely disgustingly broken wand I built:

The always cast rotate, coupled with bouncy bullets meant I could just shoot this thing around corners. I also had slow projectiles and repulsion field so no nasties could shoot me too well. Was full clearing all the floors because I could just unload this thing into rooms and everything would die.

i had something almost like this in my last run, stacked damage amplifiers, homing, +crit and bouncy on a shotgun blast, it would just fire, kill anything in its path, then bounce and slow down so it could home in on anything nearby

i just died because i fired an explosive weapon into a single floating pixel of terrain. honestly i kind of wish the game would just auto-delete any static terrain under a certain size, in the later levels things get so hectic that theres usually not much of the level left when im done and it sucks when you die because you fired something into something you couldnt even see, like anything under a 3x3 pixel block or something should just crumble on its own

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Not seeing the three pixels of poly sitting underneath a bunch of slime and dying to your own homing shot. Gotta be the worst feeling in this game

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

I have made a chainsaw hose. Somewhere around 180k dps.
Double trigger spark bolt into heavy shot, 2x crit+, crit dmg plus, empowered shot. triggering 6x chainsaws.

Ofc, it doubles as a levitation device.

Watch me die from poly in 3 secs.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Zamujasa posted:

the orb/bridge boss can be one-shot, the problem is (like was mentioned) it gets invuln every time it takes damage and it has really high resistance to most damage.

Out of curiosity, why was I able to do so much damage to him then? I can see his shield being triggered constantly.

Vanilla game aside from using the training dummy to see how much damage things do. No spells to power there but 2x triplicate bolt, chainsaw/drill to speed it up, bunch of crits and mana, 2x heavy shots and a few additional damage+.
Fire arc/trail along with crits on burning and bounce to keep them around.

That version of the weapon did 20-30k dps on the dummy I think.
After popping into the west parallel world, I got it up to 200k dps.
After point blanking myself with a touch of gold I got it down to 0 dps.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Not seeing the three pixels of poly sitting underneath a bunch of slime and dying to your own homing shot. Gotta be the worst feeling in this game

im all for punishing brutal difficulty in roguelikes but it should always be preventable in some way. i think poly is kind of on the edge because you should always assume that it might be there, just like you should assume that there might be terrain even if you cant see it, but making it either a bit more visible or making it disappear when it's too small to be properly visible would be an improvement to the game if you ask me

like dying to your own lightning has happened very often to me but doesnt annoy me because its always just my own stupidity, it's something where i can basically think "if i fire this i might die" and learn to play with that in mind. some things though arent really like that and can just kill you more or less randomly

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

animatorZed posted:

Out of curiosity, why was I able to do so much damage to him then? I can see his shield being triggered constantly.

Vanilla game aside from using the training dummy to see how much damage things do. No spells to power there but 2x triplicate bolt, chainsaw/drill to speed it up, bunch of crits and mana, 2x heavy shots and a few additional damage+.
Fire arc/trail along with crits on burning and bounce to keep them around.

That version of the weapon did 20-30k dps on the dummy I think.
After popping into the west parallel world, I got it up to 200k dps.
After point blanking myself with a touch of gold I got it down to 0 dps.

From what I've observed it isn't completely immune with the shield up (making it eat its own purple missile on the terrain, you can see that the first hit does damage and then the subsequent explosions tick for less) but maybe the behavior is different for projectile hits vs. explosions vs. area tick damage.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I think the Damage Field doesn't actually register for the boss as it taking damage for the purposes of realizing to put on the shield. Alternatively the way the Damage Field deals damage goes a different pathway than normal damage and thus skips the whole resistance thing the boss has going on. It's technically a bug but I don't really mind.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Supradog posted:

I have made a chainsaw hose. Somewhere around 180k dps.
Double trigger spark bolt into heavy shot, 2x crit+, crit dmg plus, empowered shot. triggering 6x chainsaws.

Ofc, it doubles as a levitation device.

Watch me die from poly in 3 secs.

Completely unrelated to that neato wand, but what mod adds the levitation float bar by your noiter?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hempuli posted:

I think the Damage Field doesn't actually register for the boss as it taking damage for the purposes of realizing to put on the shield. Alternatively the way the Damage Field deals damage goes a different pathway than normal damage and thus skips the whole resistance thing the boss has going on. It's technically a bug but I don't really mind.

yeah, the boss code explicitly sets itself to invuln the instant it takes any damage, so damage field bypassing this sounds about right

code:
function damage_received( damage )
	local entity_id    = GetUpdatedEntityID()
	local x, y = EntityGetTransform( GetUpdatedEntityID() )

edit_component( entity_id, "HitboxComponent", function(comp,vars)
		ComponentSetValue2( comp, "damage_multiplier", 0.0 )
	end)

EntitySetComponentsWithTagEnabled( entity_id, "invincible", true )

really makes me wish i had been archiving every release of noita so far; one thing i did for space station 13 for a while was extracting all the resources and creating a git repo out of it, which allowed me to see changes and update history

i've thought about doing it now but it seems a little late for that

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

CodfishCartographer posted:

Completely unrelated to that neato wand, but what mod adds the levitation float bar by your noiter?

Not near my pc ATM, but it was from the steam workshop, was named something real obvious, like hover bar or similar.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand the voodoo being done to make those ridiculously high speed death hose wands. Something about chainsaws?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

i've thought about doing it now but it seems a little late for that

I've been told that there's some mysterious way to set your Steam games to earlier builds; I haven't checked how that works or really verified it but I've seen it mentioned multiple times in relation to other games.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Blueshirt posted:

I don't understand the voodoo being done to make those ridiculously high speed death hose wands. Something about chainsaws?

Mostly it's stuff that brings the cast/recharge delay of the wand close to zero. Chainsaws, digging bolts, and the transmute oil/water/cement spells are good for this, and you can also make use of the fact that a multicast or spell mod will wrap around the list of spells if it reaches the end and doesn't get one.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Blueshirt posted:

The goal is to get below 0 recharge time on your wand. Each chainsaw adds -0.17 recharge time, so if your wand has ~0.30 recharge time, two chainsaws gets it below that. At that point, your wand fires every frame - lowering it further causes it to fire multiple times per frame. So Triple Cast > Spell > Chainsaw > Chainsaw will work if your wand has a large cast time between spells.

You can often get a "free" chainsaw if you have a multi-cast spell, due to spell wrapping. Chainsaw > Double Cast > Spell will cast chainsaw, then whatever the spell is + chainsaw.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Blueshirt posted:

the short version is that chainsaws basically reduce the cast time to the next spell to zero:

code:
		action 		= function()
			add_projectile("data/entities/projectiles/deck/chainsaw.xml")
			c.fire_rate_wait = 0
			c.spread_degrees = c.spread_degrees + 6.0
			current_reload_time = current_reload_time - ACTION_DRAW_RELOAD_TIME_INCREASE - 10 -- this is a hack to get the digger reload time back to 0
		end,
a "with trigger" spell casts whatever comes after it on impact, but the spells the trigger casts don't increase cast delay or recharge time (but they can reduce it)

so what you do is you have a X with trigger spell, followed by whatever death modifiers you want, then a multicast (if desired), enough spells to fill the multicast, and then a chainsaw. or you put the chainsaw at the beginning and have enough multicasts left over such that the wand 'wraps' to the first spell again when trying to fill the trigger

it's a little complicated but the display in the holy mountain can help explain it.

the basic brrrrrrrr wand is something like

- chainsaw / luminous drill
- speed up / homing / other "payload delivery" modifiers
- spark bolt with trigger
- any decrease-reload-times you have
- any increase manas you have
- as many modifiers as you can fit, especially heavy shot, damage plus, horizontal path, etc -- anything that adds damage
- a multicast (double spell, triple spell, etc)
- as many projectiles as your multicasts and mana reserves support. triplicate bolt is great here because it's 3 projectiles instead of one for the price of one spell

if you play around with this kind of setup you can probably make your own brrrrrrt wand

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blueshirt posted:

Let's say you have a wand with a cast delay of .2s and a recharge time of .5s. If you put 4x spark bolts on it, you'd get 4 spark bolts per second (since the Spark Bolt spell adds .05s of cast delay), then a delay of .5s, then 4 spark bolts in a second, etc. (net fire rate 2.66 bolts per second).

Let's say you put this on the wand:
Doublecast -> Luminous Drill -> Spark Bolt

Luminous Drill decreases cast time by .58s and recharge time by .17s, so your cast delay becomes negative, and your recharge time is .33s. This would get you 3 spark bolts per second -- you only cast one spell, then immediately have to pay the recharge time.

Now let's say it's this:

Quadruple cast -> Luminous Drill -> Chainsaw -> Chainsaw -> Spark Bolt

Chainsaw decreases recharge time by .17s, just like Luminous Drill, but it doesn't cost any mana. This brings your cast delay and your recharge time down to negative numbers, so you'll fire spark bolts (and drills and chainsaws) once per frame, until you run out of mana. The "Increase Mana" spell is critical for keeping bullet hose wands running, because it adds mana directly to the wand when cast, at a cost of increasing cast delay.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My last successful run finished with this as my Annihilate Everything Wand:

Freeze charge -> quadcast -> lightsaber -> reduce mana -> spark bolt w/trigger -> reduce mana -> reduce mana -> heavy shot -> damage plus -> crit plus -> crit plus -> electric arc -> hexagon cast -> electric explosion -> spiral shot -> trip bolt -> trip bolt.

And the wand had always cast: reduce recharge time.

Note that if you don't have both Electricity and Explosion Immunity then this is an Annihilate Yourself Wand.

But boy howdy did it instadestroy everything that moves.

The big breakthrough was putting the lightsaber before the spark bolt w/trigger instead of after it, for some reason that must have to do with wraparounds.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Eric the Mauve posted:

My last successful run finished with this as my Annihilate Everything Wand:

Freeze charge -> quadcast -> lightsaber -> reduce mana -> spark bolt w/trigger -> reduce mana -> reduce mana -> heavy shot -> damage plus -> crit plus -> crit plus -> electric arc -> hexagon cast -> electric explosion -> spiral shot -> trip bolt -> trip bolt.

Ooh I'll try this. I had a real quick shot/charge with 3x *lightsaber and a double w modifier. It had crazy range and instant killed almost anything

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Putting heavy shot in between a spell+trigger and a multicast really fucks up anything unfortunate enough to be struck by it, in my experience.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
got this recently and proving the thread title 100% correct nearly every time I play and it's been a blast so far.

since the game kinda throws you right into the deep end, is there any good beginner tips/guide to look for? or good streamers? i'm currently unsure how much i'm supposed to explore each floor, or what possible rewards there are. like, is there always a fixed number of chests or wands spawned in the mines i should find or is it always random? i try to comb through as much as i can before low health forces me to leave, but i dunno if that's a waste of time and the real good stuff is on later levels etc.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Not sure if this should be in spoiler tags since it's so far outside the bounds of a normal run but:

https://i.imgur.com/EYM0G1V.mp4

I think I broke it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PopZeus posted:

got this recently and proving the thread title 100% correct nearly every time I play and it's been a blast so far.

since the game kinda throws you right into the deep end, is there any good beginner tips/guide to look for? or good streamers? i'm currently unsure how much i'm supposed to explore each floor, or what possible rewards there are. like, is there always a fixed number of chests or wands spawned in the mines i should find or is it always random? i try to comb through as much as i can before low health forces me to leave, but i dunno if that's a waste of time and the real good stuff is on later levels etc.

You're on the right track, exploring until you're too low on health to be comfortable continuing is a good rule of thumb. There's a lot of good wandbuilding chat on this page already, but here's some posts I made about evaluating wands you find out in the wild, how to build a solid wand, and other miscellaneous info

CodfishCartographer posted:

I can't hope to top Too Much Abstraction's great post, so lemme just add some extra tips I've found useful:

- Try not to think of wands as one whole package, but rather two different halves that you can make use of. The first half are the spells on the wand itself - think about the spells on the wand and how you could use them in other wands. Chances are the wands you find in the wild aren't going to have a good spell setup, but they'll likely have 1-2 spells that are worth slapping onto other wands. Think about what kind of spell you want to add to the wands you're currently using, and then look for similar spells on other wands.
- The other half to pay attention to is the wand itself - compare the stats of the wands you find in the wild to the wands you're currently using and see if it's worth stripping the spells off the wands and moving your current setup to the new wand. What stats are "good" or not depends on what kind of wand you're trying to make, but some light rules of thumb:
  • Shuffle - No shuffle is better, but having a shuffle wand isn't the end of the world depending on your wand. If your wand depends on a specific order (such as trigger bolt > shotgun blast) then shuffle is a no-no, but if it's just a general pew pew wand then shuffle is probably fine
  • Spells/Cast - more is almost always better, but it can be awkward if the wand has a high recharge rate. While more is better, the priority for this is fairly low.
  • Cast Delay - I like to keep this under maybe 0.5, though if the wand is built around pumping out a single strong spell then this doesn't matter as much as Recharge Time. If the wand is more for digging with explosives or black holes or whatever, neither this or Recharge Time matter much
  • Recharge Time - I try to keep this under 1s
  • Max Mana - Really you only NEED as much mana as your spells cost, but it's helpful to have plenty more so that you don't need to wait for it to recharge. Generally wands tend to balance Max Mana with Mana Regen - wands with very high max mana tend to have very low mana regen, and vice versa. You generally want enough mana + regen so that you won't run out before killing an enemy or two.
  • Mana Regen - see above. For my general-use damage wand, I want enough mana regen to refill the wand in at most only 3-4 seconds - any longer and it's not likely to be full in between combat encounters, or I can't dip out to refill a wand in the middle of a combat encounter.
  • Capacity - You want enough space to cast what you want, but honestly don't need much more than that. 5-8 slots tend to be plenty enough for most wands, often wands won't have enough mana to support more than that. Although if the wand does, go hog wild.
  • Spread - The importance of this varies with what spells you're using. If your wand mostly uses rapidfire spells, shotgun spells, explosives, etc, then it's not very important. If you're going for more long-range spells or spells that trigger into more spells, then you really need solid spread, preferably under 4 or 5.
- Unrelated to the above, but you can stack up multicasts. The basic way to use a multicast is Spark Bolt w Trigger > Triplecast > Spell > Spell > Spell. You can stack them by replacing one of those spells with another multicast, and then loading up more spells after it. So Spark Bolt w Trigger > Triplecast > Spell > Spell > Doublecast > Spell Spell. You can stack these as much as you have capacity and mana to support it.

quote:

The game IS very luck-based, however the more you play the more you’ll learn how best to tackle challenges.

Wand-making is a big deal. Really learning how to make a great wand is what helped me go from “regularly dying around area three or four” to reliably getting to lategame areas and eventually beating the game. Your ideal wand is one that can kill the enemy before they really have a chance to mess with you, ideally before they even notice you. Throughout the first three to four areas, you should be focusing on building wands that will carry you through the rest of the game.

What do good wands look like? There are generally two flavors: one shot that kills everything, and rapidfire machineguns. The one-shots are my favorite - generally they involve taking a single spell that has a trigger or timer (Spark Bolt with Trigger is probably the best) and then following it up with quadcast or whatever and loading up multiple spells. You can even nest this, so Trigger Spark Bolt > Triplecast > Spell > Spell > Triplecast > Spell > Spell > Spell will mean you’ll shoot one spark bolt, that will trigger five spells when it hits - you can then make those spells beefier or ones that are dangerous to cast around you, since presumably they’ll be triggering farther away from you. You can pump it up further by adding modifiers in front of the multicasts (NOT by adding it in front of the trigger). So, for example: Trigger Spark Bolt > Damage+ > Crit+ > Triplecast > Spell > Spell > Spell - this will make it so the three spells that the trigger spark bolt creates will have damage+ and crit+ on them. These wands are generally very easy to make, as multi-casts and trigger/timer spells are very common. The downside of this type of wand is that it’s usually very mana-intensive, as it requires enough mana to use all of the spells all at once. They also often won’t be useful indefinitely, as to make them as powerful as possible you’ll probably use limited-cast spells such as Giant Firebolt, Unstable Crystal, Giant Magic Missile, etc.

As for rapidfire wands, these generally utilize chainsaws to artificially speed up wand recast timers. Chainsaws reduce the recharge time, and have almost no fire time on their own, so slapping them on a wand will cause it to have a much shorter recharge time than normal, especially if you load up multiple of them. Multi-casts (dualcast, triplecast, etc), when placed at the end of a wand, will cause the wand to “loop” back to the start, functionally reducing the wand’s recast time drastically. So you can load up a ton of modifiers onto a single spell, then use a few chainsaws to cause that spell to rapidfire super fast, especially if you get the recharge time below 0. An example could be Damage+ > Damage Field > Crit + > Doublecast > Spark Bolt > Chainsaw. When made properly these wands can be very deadly and efficient, and usually last longer than instagib wands since they don’t rely on limited-cast spells. However, they're super duper dependent on a good mana pool and a good mana recharge value - or finding a Mana Recharge spell (or two or three) to offset the cost.

When you find new wands, you want to look for spells that can help you construct one of these two wand archetypes, or you want to find a wand whose body is better for one of these two archetypes than something you have already. You want to find a wand that has a good number of spell slots (the more the better, aim for at least like 4 or 5 minimum), has a good amount of mana (300+ at least) and enough mana regen so it’ll be filled up in between fights, ideally enough to fill up in the middle of a fight. You also want to pay attention to the cast and recharge times, the smaller the better - cast times are generally solid if they’re 0.30 or less, and recharge times are generally solid if they’re under a second. Instanuke wands REQUIRE a wand to not have shuffle, but the machinegun wands can sometimes deal with shuffle. Spread isn’t a very big deal, as long as the spread isn’t ~5 or more, you’re probably good, although you can make due with a higher spread depending on how your wand works (instanuke wands want less spread, since missing your short is a huge setback, but machinegun wands can make due as spray-n-pray).

Sometimes you will get unlucky and just can NOT make a solid wand with what the game gives you, but generally this isn’t the case if you spend your time exploring. It’s worth it (but risky!) to head to the west in the second area, where you can reach the fungal caverns - these are quite difficult this early in the game, but you can usually get a really good wand or two and some really good spells by just barely poking in. You generally want to explore an area for as long as you can, to gather as much gold and get as many wands/spells as you can before moving on. It’s up to you when it’s time to move on, depending on how risk-averse you are with your health.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
quick wrapping tutorial:

assume you have a wand with a reload time of 0.5 seconds, and a chainsaw has a reload time modifier of -0.25. these aren't the exact numbers, but w/e

double spell
chainsaw
firebomb

when you cast this wand, it'll cast double spell, which will cast two more spells, chainsaw and firebomb. the single chainsaw will reduce the reload time by 0.25, so your wand now has a 0.25 reload delay.

( )

but, you could rearrange it like this:

now it will cast chainsaw, reducing the delay, and then double spell, which casts two more spells, firebomb, and, uh

, ( )

...there's no more spells for it to cast! uh oh.

what the game does at this point is wrap. it will go back to the start of the wand and pull the first spell it sees:

, ( )

in a single "cycle", the wand has now cast chainsaw twice -- once from the first cast, and then again from wrapping around the second. this makes the reload time 0, and so (barring cast delay) the wand will fire again as soon as it can.

you can get really creative and stupid with this, and it's what a lot of super rapid fire wands rely on

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

PopZeus posted:

since the game kinda throws you right into the deep end, is there any good beginner tips/guide to look for? or good streamers?

Mcqueeb is pretty cool and good.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

quick wrapping tutorial:

assume you have a wand with a reload time of 0.5 seconds, and a chainsaw has a reload time modifier of -0.25. these aren't the exact numbers, but w/e

double spell
chainsaw
firebomb

If you replace the firebomb with a sparkbolt with trigger then both the double cast and trigger effect have to wrap, and they both find their own copies of the chainsaw, so now you're getting 3 chainsaws firing off from every 2 button-press cycle.

Additionally, for the most part chainsaw just nullifies the cast delay of any spells cast on the same frame as it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A wand that wraps like that still starts from the leftmost spell each time you click, right? It's just that each click might entail multiple cycles, even if the final cycle doesn't necessarily end at the end of the wand?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ferrinus posted:

A wand that wraps like that still starts from the leftmost spell each time you click, right? It's just that each click might entail multiple cycles, even if the final cycle doesn't necessarily end at the end of the wand?

Not quite, otherwise you could put a Double Scatter Spell+Digging Bolt on a wand and a single click would cast an infinite number of spells.

One of the limitations seems to be that any given instance of a spell can't be cast twice in the same physics-simulation-frame (except for some of the spells that duplicate other spells)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In that example, if you had a triple cast, would it wrap back around to the triple cast again and just cast everything in one frame until it ran out of mana or?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm pretty sure with Always Cast, if you get the wand down to 0 mana use and 0 delay/recharge (with Reduce Mana Cost, Reduce Recharge, and lightsabers/chainsaws) it will in fact cast its Always Cast spell once per frame infinitely until you let go of the mouse button, die, or the game crashes. I think somewhere back in this thread someone posted a gif of casting a million bombcarts with such a wand and dying in a glorious Big Bang.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the deeper levels of wrapping i don't quite know enough about (and can't infer from the code enough about) to really talk beyond it doesn't work like that, and wrapping seems to stop after the first actual spell. if you're interested in messing with the concept i super strongly suggest getting a mod to give you Edit Tinker With Wands Everywhere and just playing around with the knowledge

goki's things also got a huge upgrade as a mod and i recommend it, the newest version for beta is great

resistentialism posted:

If you replace the firebomb with a sparkbolt with trigger then both the double cast and trigger effect have to wrap, and they both find their own copies of the chainsaw, so now you're getting 3 chainsaws firing off from every 2 button-press cycle.

Additionally, for the most part chainsaw just nullifies the cast delay of any spells cast on the same frame as it.

yeah, i was just trying to explain the absolute basics, which is already complicated enough. you can get some absolutely silly poo poo if you dive in deep enough

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just got unlimited spells as my last perk.

I'm gonna die now, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, because unlimited acid trail bombs and tagging enemies with "you are now a locus of fireballs" are hard to resist.