Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

AC really just needs to do a modern day game that resolves the story so they can gently caress off and quit forcing it into each installment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm still having fun in AC Valhalla but the more I play the more I'm convinced changing the free block/dodge moves in Odyssey to a stamina-based system was a fundamental mistake. I can do fine a lot of the time, but later-game enemies that either have massive sequential dodge or multi-attack abilities (like six times in a row :psyduck:) make it easy to get in a loop where your stamina is just worn down to nothing. Then you're just kinda stuck for a while because your basic attacks (which add stamina) either don't hit, or you're afraid to move in for the chance of getting beat down in a multi-hit combo. I'd rather have free movement with the challenge coming from completely outside that action set, a billion times over.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Retro Futurist posted:

AC really just needs to do a modern day game that resolves the story so they can gently caress off and quit forcing it into each installment.

They almost did that in 3 until they changed direction and went into all the poo poo with Juno trying to resurrect herself.

Unity did a lot of things wrong but relegating the framing story to "the Assassins want you to play this special video game" was a good choice.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What is the modern day story at this point? I was following it through AC 1, 2 and Brotherhood, then didn't play anything until Black Flag where all the poo poo with Desmond had been resolved and anyone could access anyone's genetic memories through an animus. Now the modern stuff just seems to be totally unrelated cutscenes that have nothing to do with the actual game. People complain about Kojima's cutscenes, but at least he doesn't break away from the story to show something irrelevant 2000 years in the future.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm still having fun in AC Valhalla but the more I play the more I'm convinced changing the free block/dodge moves in Odyssey to a stamina-based system was a fundamental mistake. I can do fine a lot of the time, but later-game enemies that either have massive sequential dodge or multi-attack abilities (like six times in a row :psyduck:) make it easy to get in a loop where your stamina is just worn down to nothing. Then you're just kinda stuck for a while because your basic attacks (which add stamina) either don't hit, or you're afraid to move in for the chance of getting beat down in a multi-hit combo. I'd rather have free movement with the challenge coming from completely outside that action set, a billion times over.

Perfect Dodges seem to refill your stamina.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

What is the modern day story at this point? I was following it through AC 1, 2 and Brotherhood, then didn't play anything until Black Flag where all the poo poo with Desmond had been resolved and anyone could access anyone's genetic memories through an animus. Now the modern stuff just seems to be totally unrelated cutscenes that have nothing to do with the actual game. People complain about Kojima's cutscenes, but at least he doesn't break away from the story to show something irrelevant 2000 years in the future.

Ive just started Origins so I can’t really speak to that new arc as of yet but there wasn’t really much of one for the post-Desmond games. Black Flag introduced the whole “sage” concept and Unity/Syndicate were basically just about the Templars searching for memories involving other sages so they could sequence a whole genome.

I think they ultimately wrapped that all up with the Juno stuff in a comic

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Hygiene posted:

I liked how by the end of Origins and Odyssey you were fighting huge mythological monsters and teleporting around the map with SSJ spirit weapons. I don't think Valhalla's more grounded approach really helps at all because it just means you do the same exact attack sequence for 80 hours. And because the game is so stingy with loot and weapons are so expensive to upgrade, there's no incentive to experiment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Origins introduced a new modern day protagonist named Layla Hassan who used to work for Abstergo but quits because reasons. In Origins she's kind of working on her own but by Odyssey she's joined the Assassins. I haven't gotten that far in Valhalla but the story in that one is that Desmond saving the world in 2012 turned out to be a stopgap solution because now Earth's magnetic field is all out of whack which is causing a lot of problems.

A funny thing about this trilogy is that by Valhalla they've just given up on trying to justify the bird recon stuff. It is barely addressed that Eivor has a bird.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I liked how by the end of Origins and Odyssey you were fighting huge mythological monsters and teleporting around the map with SSJ spirit weapons. I don't think Valhalla's more grounded approach really helps at all because it just means you do the same exact attack sequence for 80 hours. And because the game is so stingy with loot and weapons are so expensive to upgrade, there's no incentive to experiment.

Yeah, Odyssey was much improved by Kassandra basically turning into an outright supernatural legendary hero. Not only was it plain fun, it also meshed very well with the overall mythological feel of the game world.

Valhalla sort of flirts with the same concept with the vision stuff, but it doesn't really commit to it, especially in a gameplay sense.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Perfect Dodges seem to refill your stamina.

Yeah, I think perfect blocking does too. It's just that eventually the new enemy and boss attack patterns that get introduced feel like they overwhelm that more than is really fun, since missing the timing often screws you over repeatedly. The meter refills over time too, but it's not really fun to constantly back off and wait for it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ugh, just spent ages clearing out a fort in Odyssey only for a super merc to come out of nowhere and three shot me. I know we complained about it earlier but god that felt bad.

And why are all of these assholes allowed into forts when I’m not?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Empire of Sin has one of the worst defense mechanics of any turn-based strategy games I've ever played. You control your main XCOM-like crew of characters whom can only be with you while the AI can act with NPCs everywhere on the overworld map at once. A bit like Spore back in the day with you flying your dinky lone ship and the AI massing multiple attack waves simultaneously.

Upon one of your locations being attacked without your main group being present you get lobbed into not one, but two consecutive mandatory manual battles with cannon-fodder NPCs with atrocious hit-rates. You then spend turns shooting back and forth with no one hitting anything, where at some point you either win or lose. There's no auto-resolve, you have to play it out.

Then when you think you're done and you're back with your main character, you can instantly get lobbed into another battle. And another. All pretty much doomed to win/loss before the first turn is taken, all a horrendous chore that you painfully have to sit trough.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Dec 2, 2020

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Yeah, it's a friend's first AC game and they're just completely baffled as to why there's modern day animus stuff happening since none of the trailers for the game really play that up and they were expecting just a Viking game and don't know who this modern person it. I've had to explain to them about the whole ancient aliens overarching plot because otherwise they're going to get even more confused.

muscles like this! posted:

Valhalla is the worst for the modern day stuff because they don't explain anything at all when the animus stuff happens. They really expect you to have kept up.

Yeah, literally what happens is a dramatic, well-staged cutscene dissolves into some Matrix glitches, and some offscreen characters discuss it being a problem and then say the datastream is finding two possibilities, then you choose a gender or "Let the animus decide". It is not explained who these people are, what the animus is, or why the vikings are apparently in the Matrix. I've been busy so I'm only a few hours in the tutorial area but this has not been explained or elaborated on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Once your characters head off for England you're kicked out of the Animus and spend some time in the modern day plot. They still don't actually explain anything if you're unfamiliar with it though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's also like the 11th game in the series so it's probably fine to not spend a huge amount of time on exposition

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about Origins is that Layla (the modern day protagonist) has a computer full of files that explain a lot of background stuff. One of the files makes it clear that the Michael Fassbender movie that was a huge failure and nobody liked is in canon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

It's also like the 11th game in the series so it's probably fine to not spend a huge amount of time on exposition

Yeah I get that, I'm not exactly "complaining" because I'm in games culture enough that I know all this poo poo. It's still my first AC and I was baffled that there's not even a quick text intro or like optional "you're in the matrix, BTW" thing. It would've been perfect Manual lore if games still had manuals tbh.

A funny thing about Origins is that Layla (the modern day protagonist) has a computer full of files that explain a lot of background stuff. One of the files makes it clear that the Michael Fassbender movie that was a huge failure and nobody liked is in canon.

Maybe the movie was supposed to be a vector to get newcomers to intuitively know the score going in. Surely everyone will go see the hit Michael Fassbender vehicle!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are maybe 30 minutes of modern-world gameplay across the 250+ hours it takes to complete the latest trilogy of AC games. Nobody really wants it to be there still, but it's expected regardless.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Once your characters head off for England you're kicked out of the Animus and spend some time in the modern day plot. They still don't actually explain anything if you're unfamiliar with it though.

If you played Odyssey but skipped the DLC it’s also a bit confusing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Speaking of the Odyssey DLC, I just hit halfway through the first and thought 'I imagine anyone non-hetero who has been enjoying their big gay / bi himbo / himbette game was pretty pissed at this point', looked it up and hoo boy was I on the money; apparently this is the fixed version as well, the original release was even more tone deaf.

Spoilers Your character, even if you don't romance the (in the case of it being a guy for Kass at least) exceedingly drippy companion and rebuff them at every turn you still end up having a baby with them, and originally this 'mission' was called 'Growing Up'; the patch changes the mission title and a few dialogue box choices to 'I only did it to further the bloodline' etc but still, ouch

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Speaking of the Odyssey DLC, I just hit halfway through the first and thought 'I imagine anyone non-hetero who has been enjoying their big gay / bi himbo / himbette game was pretty pissed at this point', looked it up and hoo boy was I on the money; apparently this is the fixed version as well, the original release was even more tone deaf.

Spoilers Your character, even if you don't romance the (in the case of it being a guy for Kass at least) exceedingly drippy companion and rebuff them at every turn you still end up having a baby with them, and originally this 'mission' was called 'Growing Up'; the patch changes the mission title and a few dialogue box choices to 'I only did it to further the bloodline' etc but still, ouch

actually question about that If you're playing as the male character I assume there's a female version of the dude whose name I cant remember?

That's also pretty telling with how bad that storyline is. Gun to my head I could not remember that guys name but I can remember Shani from Witcher 3 and they probably have even game time.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Dec 2, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Joey Freshwater posted:

actually question about that [spoiler]If you're playing as the male character I assume there's a female version of the dude whose name I cant remember?

https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Natakas

"In Assassin's Creed: Odyssey's DLC Legacy of the First Blade, Natakas is replaced by his sister Neema if the Eagle Bearer is Alexios instead of Kassandra."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I could not tell you a single thing about that character. I remember meeting them, making a baby, baby gets kidnapped by...someone? That character dies, I suppose? And someone takes the baby and there's a neat cutscene leading into AC Origins. But the character themselves? No goddamn idea.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pretty sure he had a beard and wanted wheat, or possibly bread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I could not tell you a single thing about that character. I remember meeting them, making a baby, baby gets kidnapped by...someone? That character dies, I suppose? And someone takes the baby and there's a neat cutscene leading into AC Origins. But the character themselves? No goddamn idea.

I forgot about the time difference for a second and read this as the baby being the Origins protagonist at first, which would at least be dumb enough to be kinda funny.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot about the time difference for a second and read this as the baby being the Origins protagonist at first, which would at least be dumb enough to be kinda funny.

pretty sure that’s a crusader kings bug

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I played the first section of the dlc and then moved on, because the other DLC lets you stab gods.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

tight aspirations posted:

Pretty sure he had a beard and wanted wheat, or possibly bread.

Please don't doxx me

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Finally gave Code Vein a shot, and I actually didn't find the infamous Cathedral to be that terrible.

But these ice giant motherfuckers can eat my entire rear end in a top hat. Why are there enemies that are not only gigantic health sponges, with an armor boost they can do for free any time that makes them even tankier, with fast aoe attacks and a near-instant Sonic spindash that one-hits me for free from half the zone away? It must be the power of anime.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

loving Zealots in AC Valhalla, they're somehow even worse than mercenaries in Odyssey. The two I've beaten were 30 power points below my level and they were still tougher than most of the actual boss fights. Now I'm doing a random raid, and one 40 points above my level just wanders in and two-shots me. That's stupid design, either you have to run away from what you want to be doing or give in and hope they don't show up on the reload.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's a boss in the newest DLC for Remnant that is a beefy melee boy, but also has an aura that damages you and applies frostbite to you. If you get frozen completely, you will get combo'd and die. There is, so far as I can tell, no way to avoid being affected by the aura. He also has a shockwave attack that freezes you in one hit, so don't ever get hit by that or you're dead. It's the sloppiest and dumbest way I've seen a soulslike make a boss hard, ever.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

SkeletonHero posted:

Finally gave Code Vein a shot, and I actually didn't find the infamous Cathedral to be that terrible.

But these ice giant motherfuckers can eat my entire rear end in a top hat. Why are there enemies that are not only gigantic health sponges, with an armor boost they can do for free any time that makes them even tankier, with fast aoe attacks and a near-instant Sonic spindash that one-hits me for free from half the zone away? It must be the power of anime.

Fire damage breaks their armor and breaking their armor stuns them, they were a pretty big wall for me as well until I gave that a try.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Demon's Souls (PS5) is incredibly cool and has blown me away as a remake, but the shove move seems to be a bit touchy. Like the other games it's forward + R1 but it seems to be very sensitive. In the other souls games I couldn't consistently do it on purpose, now I can't stop doing it on accident!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Been playing State of Decay 2 with my brothers, read a lot of complaints on the game but they are overblown.

And yet, not a single one has mentioned something that actually is pretty rear end with the multiplayer: When you complete the final legacy mission for the host the guests get a "hey good job helping your friend. You're gonna be kicked out in 10 seconds while they celebrate" message. You don't get the see the final cutscene. Also you don't get the achievement for that ending.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I really liked State of Decay 2 but it has a lot of open world jank. To the point where I didn’t even want to try playing it with others. That seemed like a recipe for disaster.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Prey: Such a great game, but somehow the operators and turrets are talking over people ALL THE TIME. I am not a star citizen, so I don't know about game development, but is it that hard to turn the generic lines off if someone is saying things that are only said once?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

RabbitWizard posted:

Prey: Such a great game, but somehow the operators and turrets are talking over people ALL THE TIME. I am not a star citizen, so I don't know about game development, but is it that hard to turn the generic lines off if someone is saying things that are only said once?

This drives me mad in a lot of games. No I don't want the generic NPC line to play over this plot dialogue just because one of them wandered into the scene.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SkeletonHero posted:

Yeah they're pretty obnoxious. Generally I either just ran past them while grabbing whatever they might be guarding or trying to smash them with a quick powered up combo that killed them before they could react

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Demon's Souls (PS5) is incredibly cool and has blown me away as a remake, but the shove move seems to be a bit touchy. Like the other games it's forward + R1 but it seems to be very sensitive. In the other souls games I couldn't consistently do it on purpose, now I can't stop doing it on accident!

this is especially bad if you're using heavier weapons, the Cleaver's shove takes a geologic age to wind up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

I really liked State of Decay 2 but it has a lot of open world jank. To the point where I didn’t even want to try playing it with others. That seemed like a recipe for disaster.

State of Decay 1 and 2 have always felt like its multiple systems of jank interwoven in a semi-functional game.