Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Electric Phantasm posted:

Paying loads of money to find out why Mickey wasn't wearing a shirt that one time and how this one superboss has a cape.

I've never played any KH game but I'm just going to assume the explanation for both of these is the superboss stole mickey's shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

what kojima games aren't internally consistent? that's kind of his whole thing, down to building in narrative justifications for mechanics

MGS2 made no goddamn sense to me from the word "go" for many years; but I'll cop, it's been so long since I've metaled a gear that I may be misremembering the various plot points

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

A scattered dream that's like a far-off memory
A far-off memory that's like a scattered dream

I want to line the pieces up
Yours and mine

This is basically the act of understanding the plot of Kingdom Hearts.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

how this one superboss has a cape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XnIl4U4T1M&t=338s

Incredibly self-consistent. Nothing like it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

MGS2 made no goddamn sense to me from the word "go" for many years; but I'll cop, it's been so long since I've metaled a gear that I may be misremembering the various plot points
mgs2 is the one that makes more sense than any of them in 2020, because every aspect of speculative fiction in that game came true

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I do want to know when the hell I'm going to be able to get/build a new trike, tho

As soon as I got access to one in ep2, I lost it Skyrimming my way across a ridge to the east as a shortcut to the capital. I made it; trike didn't :rip:
(e)

homeless snail posted:

mgs2 is the one that makes more sense than any of them in 2020, because every aspect of speculative fiction in that game came true
makes me want to dig up a plot synopsis, see just how much he got right about the worst timeline

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1334130369264807937

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
New chicken run stealth game?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wall-Ace and Grombat

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Game with all the anime trappings, but instead it looks like Wallace and Gromit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mgs2 wikipedia summary posted:

Arsenal crashes into Manhattan. Raiden is contacted by an AI impersonating the Colonel and Rose. It states that GW was the only AI destroyed, and that the S3 Plan's real purpose is to control human thought to prevent society's regression in the digital era from trivial information drowning knowledge and truth.

oof lol

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

what kojima games aren't internally consistent? that's kind of his whole thing, down to building in narrative justifications for mechanics

Is Vamp a vampire? Does Fortune have psychic powers? Are ghosts real? Why does covering people in squids make them ideal operators for camouflaged suits?

Metal Gear is great and all, but they never decided if magic is real or not.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's the wrong genre, Gromit!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait how is BB comin' with me when i fast travel, I don't see Sam taking it with him in the cutscene !!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that one guy could control bees somehow

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is Vamp a vampire? Does Fortune have psychic powers? Are ghosts real? Why does covering people in squids make them ideal operators for camouflaged suits?

Metal Gear is great and all, but they never decided if magic is real or not.

Magic is not real but nanomachines are

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Everything that doesn't seem to make sense in MGS2 is explained in 2 hours of MGS4 cutscenes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

wuggles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XnIl4U4T1M&t=338s

Incredibly self-consistent. Nothing like it.

lmao

My favorite factor of the KH story is how completely pedestrian the story of KH1 is if you ignore the coats of licensed paint over it. "Boy forced from his home must save his friends and homeland from evil forces, must defeat someone close to him who has been taken by said forces" is loving Star Wars for goodness sake. All the insanity after KH1 was Nomura choosing to repeatedly write himself into and then out of corners, and I respect the hell out of his commitment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everything that doesn't seem to make sense in MGS2 is explained in 2 hours of MGS4 cutscenes

You missed a zero

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's insane how more and more relevant this becomes with each passing day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kingdom hearts also suffers from some of the worst voice direction in big-budget rpg's. the script is bad but could still be tolerable if most of the actors didn't sound like they were reciting their lines without context, in a cellar, after a weeklong fast, at gunpoint

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Magic is not real but nanomachines are

I liked it better when Fortune's powers, for example, were kept vague and might have actually been real at the end.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Are ghosts real?

I think ghosts are real in the Metal Gear universe because they're part of one of the supernatural elements that happen before nanomachines are a thing in-universe. The Sorrow is in MGS3, and that's pre-nanomachines, so any of the magic in that is actually magic and not super-tech. Same for the End's photosynthetic abilities.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kerrzhe posted:

that one guy could control bees somehow

Makes sense to me. The Boss's squad was made up entirely of people who invented new forms of modern warfare. Special Ops, Sniping, and setting bombs in the jungle all caught on. Being covered in bees, being set on fire, and dying didn't.

Harrow posted:

I liked it better when Fortune's powers, for example, were kept vague and might have actually been real at the end.

I think ghosts are real in the Metal Gear universe because they're part of one of the supernatural elements that happen before nanomachines are a thing in-universe. The Sorrow is in MGS3, and that's pre-nanomachines, so any of the magic in that is actually magic and not super-tech. Same for the End's photosynthetic abilities.

So did all the ghosts get killed by nanomachines?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the end's photosynthesis is because of [code talkerishly] parasites

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

the end's photosynthesis is because of [code talkerishly] parasites

Hssssssss!

(I hated that so much let him just be a shaman c'mon)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Sorrow and The End are explained in 2 hours of MGSV audiotapes

E:f,b

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Sorrow and The End are explained in 2 hours of MGSV audiotapes

E:f,b

What's the explanation for the Sorrow? I never listened to those tapes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's absolutely spirituality in metal gear, which sometimes is expressed as paraspirtuality where there's a rational explanation for things people put faith into, but sometimes there isn't. fortune is all about that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My favorite audiotape in MGSV is the one where they explain why the Metal Gear was called Sahelanthropus even though it's taking place before the Sahelanthropus fossil was discovered in the real world... Thanks, Patriots

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What was the explanation for The Fury turning into a giant flaming face that chases Snake down the hall?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

imagine writing that in 2001 and nailing it

We consider Kojima a prophet right? Especially after more or less getting 2020 right in 2017-19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

What's the explanation for the Sorrow? I never listened to those tapes.

Hmm I thought the Sorrow was connected to Psycho Mantis stuff but I guess not, maybe there are some mysteries left in the MG SaGa...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh wow my phone autocorrected SaGa... Why does it assume this is the default now lol

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
ah, but you see, Kojima is unsubtle and therefore bad. Now if you excuse me I am going to try and huff my entire rear end

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's insane how more and more relevant this becomes with each passing day.

Hideo Kojima, the greatest cultural critic of our time? Discuss.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 2, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

What was the explanation for The Fury turning into a giant flaming face that chases Snake down the hall?

Space is hosed up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wuggles posted:

imagine writing that in 2001 and nailing it

We consider Kojima a prophet right? Especially after more or less getting 2020 right in 2017-19
it's not completely original, and kojima himself acknowledges that if you look at his mgs2 reading list, but it's an extremely good crystallization of those ideas into a pop sci-fi video game

death stranding is kinda similar in that it's making some pretty obvious critiques about the atomization of society but the timing of the release of that game is nuts. it took like 6 years for most people at large to even begin to make the turn on mgs2s story from being obtuse garbage to prescient, where DS was already pretty believable at release before it became actual reality 4 months later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

C-Euro posted:

how completely pedestrian the story of KH1 is

The greatest travesty to me is the bad guy going from "the good guy you're searching for is actually the one who decided to end the universe for science" to "actually they're two different people, and the bad one's actually an amnesiac who used to be a good guy possessed by a bad guy who used to pretend to be a good guy and before that he used to be a good guy until he decided all was predetermined and was visited by his secret future self who gave him time travel powers to set up his plot but then he forgot about that, but actually he was manipulated by the real bad guy all along".

wuggles posted:

I think the plot of KH is self-consistent

Nah. Like, KH2FM and Days make a big thing of teasing that Xemnas is searching for the secret room in Castle Oblivion, only to accidentally establish in BBS, the next game and the one that explains why, that it's impossible for him to have known about it, so they had to make 0.2 just to set up a way for him to be told about it.