Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apparently M1X leaked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Is this a different leak than the one several days ago?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Is this a different leak than the one several days ago?

IDK, probably not. But Linus was talking about it and also sort of jizzing over the rumored specs.

Supposedly going into 13" MBP and 24" iMac. Supposedly goes toe to toe with i9 27".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Can you dorks post some links to whatever news you’re talking about instead of vague references to random YouTube videos you’ve watched?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Can you dorks post some links to whatever news you’re talking about instead of vague references to random YouTube videos you’ve watched?

No I already spend too much time here

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Crunchy Black posted:

For dev folks, do you have a way to quantify if/how/when your Neural Engine is being utilized whether in compile or app utilization?

sudo powermetrics

ANE Power: 0 mW
DRAM Power: 174 mW
Clusters Total Power: 279 mW
GPU Power: 68 mW
Package Power: 615 mW

These numbers are me watching a 1080p twitch stream while postin'. ANE is Apple Neural Engine, completely power gated here. "Clusters" is the sum of the power used by the E-Cluster (efficiency cores) and P-Cluster (performance cores). Each cluster gets its own more detailed breakout which looks like this:

E-Cluster Power: 134 mW
E-Cluster HW active frequency: 1519 MHz
E-Cluster HW active residency: 48.82% (600 MHz: .02% 972 MHz: 43% 1332 MHz: 7.4% 1704 MHz: 4.5% 2064 MHz: 45%)
E-Cluster idle residency: 51.18%
cpu 0 frequency: 1634 MHz
cpu 0 idle residency: 78.23%
cpu 0 active residency: 21.77% (600 MHz: .00% 972 MHz: 6.3% 1332 MHz: 2.7% 1704 MHz: 1.2% 2064 MHz: 11%)
cpu 1 frequency: 1622 MHz
cpu 1 idle residency: 82.63%
cpu 1 active residency: 17.37% (600 MHz: .00% 972 MHz: 4.6% 1332 MHz: 3.0% 1704 MHz: 1.2% 2064 MHz: 8.6%)
cpu 2 frequency: 1656 MHz
cpu 2 idle residency: 84.43%
cpu 2 active residency: 15.57% (600 MHz: .00% 972 MHz: 4.0% 1332 MHz: 2.3% 1704 MHz: .94% 2064 MHz: 8.4%)
cpu 3 frequency: 1640 MHz
cpu 3 idle residency: 87.51%
cpu 3 active residency: 12.49% (600 MHz: 0% 972 MHz: 3.3% 1332 MHz: 1.9% 1704 MHz: .87% 2064 MHz: 6.4%)

I don't think I've ever seen ANE above 0mW, for what it's worth.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

grahm posted:

I still wouldn't buy this for a primary video editing computer (lol, that I can say that with a straight face about a base MBA is amazing). The 16" performs better for me, though for people editing a lot of H265 the Air might actually be better. Also, 16" is obvi a more enjoyable screen size for editing, the 16" speakers are wildly better (one of the most underrated things about that computer), and four USB-C ports feels necessary if you're doing anything with external media.

I'm probably going to end up getting a 16" AS Pro for exactly those reasons. I still don't regret this Air. Outside of the speakers and display size, it's mind-bendingly better than the 15" late 2013 it replaced, and I'm hoping to resell it or trade it in to recoup most of the cost when it's time to upgrade.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BobHoward posted:

sudo powermetrics

Ah perfect thanks!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

Ah perfect thanks!

powermetrics is available on Intel too btw, the output's considerably different because the sensors are different but there's still interesting stuff there

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
The most up to date version of STATA should now be native on Apple Silicon... definitely curious because STATA is a big expensive driver of hardware for us research wise, and also one of the areas where you need to open huge datasets in RAM.

salamander
Oct 23, 2011
I tried the "ML Resize Image" option in Pixelmator Pro and powermetrics does show the Neural Engine being used:

ANE Power: 2578 mW

I can also see some activity from a process called "aned" and another called "ANECompilerService".

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Since it was such a major talking point in this thread, I'm a little curious about what kind of workflow uses three displays and doesn't have one of those monitors as mostly text/other basic imagery that would be served just fine by something like displaylink. I'm not arguing that they don't exist, I'm just interested in what activity really benefits from that.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I was wanting to get the 16GB RAM 1 TB SSD M1 Macbook Pro today but wow that delivery time. If I get 16 GB, 1 TB, it says I won't get it until Jan 5. That's such a long time. If I stick with 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, I'll get it Dec 10. Also $400 less.

I just want Final Cut Pro to be as good as it can be. That's the only intensive thing I use that I'm concerned over.

Will I regret getting 8 GB?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

some bust on that guy posted:

I was wanting to get the 16GB RAM 1 TB SSD M1 Macbook Pro today but wow that delivery time. If I get 16 GB, 1 TB, it says I won't get it until Jan 5. That's such a long time. If I stick with 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, I'll get it Dec 10. Also $400 less.

I just want Final Cut Pro to be as good as it can be. That's the only intensive thing I use that I'm concerned over.

If you’re ordering online can’t you just return the 8GB after seeing if it handles your FCP needs? I didn’t see mention of a restocking fee or anything.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Have you been looking locally, if there's an Apple Store near you? Each day they could potentially receive limited stock of the 16GB/1TB config, so it's worth it to keep checking.

Kenny Logins posted:

If you’re ordering online can’t you just return the 8GB after seeing if it handles your FCP needs? I didn’t see mention of a restocking fee or anything.

Should be able to, and there's an extended return period now.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah we’re at the point where stock is in stores but shipping delays are highest so you’ll want to drive out to whichever Apple store nearby has it instead.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

I got this 16/1TB Air less than 24 hours from ordering on Black Friday through this One Weird Trick!

step 1: be awake at like 2am because COVID work from home hours
step 2: on a whim, before going to sleep, try starting an order to see if delivery dates have improved from the last few times I tried
step 3: notice that holy poo poo, a local Apple Store is showing as having it available for pickup
step 4: irresponsibly spend money
step 5: pick it up same day

I suspect that the website / Apple Store app refreshes in-store pickup inventory some time each night, so you might need to vampire it up like me to snag one before all the stock is spoken for on that day.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

All the Apple stores near me say that they're only open for pickup of online orders. Not welcoming walk-in customers at this time.

How much is the extended return period?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

All the Apple stores near me say that they're only open for pickup of online orders. Not welcoming walk-in customers at this time.

Don’t just walk in. If you can’t pick it up same/next day on the website they don’t have it.

Check every day for in store pickup and if it shows order and go get it.

That being said I feel like you may regret 8GB ram for FCP.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Base MBA should be fine for my wife to online shop and log in to work via Citrix right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kingnothing posted:

Don’t just walk in. If you can’t pick it up same/next day on the website they don’t have it.

based on what? doesn’t seem to be an issue in reviews. i edited a lot of 1080p on my 2010 11-inch air. and it had 4 gigs. i’m confident the m1 version can handle 4k fine

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Base MBA should be fine for my wife to online shop and log in to work via Citrix right?

It's the perfect machine

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mediaphage posted:

based on what? doesn’t seem to be an issue in reviews. i edited a lot of 1080p on my 2010 11-inch air. and it had 4 gigs. i’m confident the m1 version can handle 4k fine

https://larryjordan.com/articles/ram-cpu-and-libraries-in-apple-final-cut-pro-x/

Some simple Final Cut Pro effects on ram.

Realistically, you can edit in Final Cut Pro on nearly anything. But 8GB will for sure slow you down vs 16GB, especially as you get to longer projects and higher resolutions.

Also consider that if resolutions keep going up (they most likely will) or HDR becomes more prevalent (it will) that will tax the ram even further.

Add to all this that VRAM is shared with system ram on the M1 machines. The 8GB will work, but I suspect in a year or two you’ll end up regretting it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

“Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between 10 November and 25 December 2020 may be returned up to 8 January 2021... All purchases made after 25 December 2020 are subject to the Standard Returns Policy.

Standard Return Policy
You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.”

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Select a 16gb/512 Air and the pickup status goes from "Currently unavailable for pickup at [your local store]" to "Apple Store Pickup is currently unavailable." So I don't think they're planning to stock 16GB/<1TB in store at all. Best bet might be to wait for B&H or whatever to stock em.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mediaphage posted:

Simple math seems to dictate that if 1080p is fine on 4 gigs, then to be safe you should get 16 gigs to handle 4 times as many pixels?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You’re drunk if you’re editing video on 4GB

My brother used to edit HD skateboarding clips on my PowerBook G4 with 1GB

Fucker also downloaded like ten gigs of music on 56k so I’m not saying he’s okay in the head

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i was being intentionally obtuse with the 2010 air comment but “resolutions are going to keep going up” is not a good reason imo to bother at this point in time. the new systems are different enough and have enough reviews talking about how good they are specifically with fcp and video editing that i would want to see hard comparisons on the effect 8 vs 16 gigs of ram would have before i started throwing out hard recommendations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i was being intentionally obtuse with the 2010 air comment but “resolutions are going to keep going up” is not a good reason imo to bother at this point in time. the new systems are different enough and have enough reviews talking about how good they are specifically with fcp and video editing that i would want to see hard comparisons on the effect 8 vs 16 gigs of ram would have before i started throwing out hard recommendations.

It’s ram. We’re not talking about new CPU changes. Just because the ram lives in the Package now doesn’t mean it functions any differently.

I would argue 8GB is already insufficient for video editing in a professional software package.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
My take is if you are thinking of optioning these M1 computers to $1,500+ and you don’t need a new computer right now, just wait for the pro models (unless for some reason you just need a ton of storage). The base Air or mini are a great value, but I feel like even the base 4-port MBP whenever that comes out will likely crush the most optioned-out of these computers for ~$1800 — and hopefully with an updated form factor more intentionally designed for Apple silicon.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Have you been looking locally, if there's an Apple Store near you? Each day they could potentially receive limited stock of the 16GB/1TB config, so it's worth it to keep checking.

Kingnothing posted:

Thanks everyone but especially for these posts saying to keep checking. I did and they have one now and didn't have it earlier, so I bought that one. I didn't know it worked like that. I thought the site would let you know if the store would be getting them soon. Got 16 GB to be safe.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m aware that ram is still ram but the new systems are better at taking advantage of it by all accounts. i’m not saying there’s no value in an upgrade, i’m saying that unless you need a new system tomorrow and have a bunch of cash to spare it’s worth waiting and seeing what people who will inevitably buy both get as a result when they compare. i’m skeptical it’s going to be as big of a difference for video editing specifically, especially below 8k res, than most people instantly assume

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think the caveat is that if you have an intel mac that's still got some value, then sell it now and buy an M1, because intel macs are going to be completely worthless very soon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If that were actually true then why wouldn't they already be worthless?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just sold my 16” for $1700 which I will save until the 14” pro comes out whenever that happens. Pretty happy with my M1 air at the moment.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If you edit video to earn a living, but work alone and render locally buy the 16GB.

In all other cases the 8GB -should- be okay. Using a full h.265 workflow will help a lot, and if you’re rendering remotely that helps more.

The real RAM eater is post-processing and animation, so if you do lots of that I’d go 16GB no matter what but only you know what you’re usually working with.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You’re drunk if you’re editing video on 4GB

My brother used to edit HD skateboarding clips on my PowerBook G4 with 1GB

Fucker also downloaded like ten gigs of music on 56k so I’m not saying he’s okay in the head

Your brother sounds awesome

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you edit video to earn a living, but work alone and render locally buy the 16GB.

If you edit video to earn a living then get a Mac Pro and use Premiere tbh

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

American McGay posted:

If that were actually true then why wouldn't they already be worthless?

I think there's a brief time where not all the apps run well on the M1 so people will stick to the Intel for 6-12 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you edit video to earn a living then get a Mac Pro and use Premiere tbh

Yeah, I just meant in the context of buying a laptop.