Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Random memory thoughts on Dark. We’ll call this Sexual Dark Chocolate: A Synopsis

Shanna vs. Tesha Price: I hate Shanna as a person. So, yeah, that’s all I should say but...

She’s really, really good in the ring. She had some fire in the belly this match and yeah, she’s a great wrestler. I still want her to go away. Tesha Price is so green it hurts. She needs a lot of time in the oven, and I’m sure she will get there. Probably the greenest of the women on the card.

— Adam Priest and Sean Maluta vs. Best Friends with Orange Cassidy: You know what you get out of Best Friends. A super competent match. That’s all, was a good showing for them.

— Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr. vs. Cezar Bononi and Ryzin: Biggest personality here is Ryzin. The guy stands out the most of everybody. His look is something else, he’s very competent in the ring and to be honest, if AEW is looking at him seriously (he’s very well liked as a person backstage), then he isn’t bad as somebody who will be safe and sound in the ring. I’ve also noticed Bononi hasn’t eaten any pins since his matches on Dark...his time will come in the future.

— Danny Limelight vs. Brandon Cutler: This was the second best match on the card. And I’m surprised to say that. Cutler eats up so much of the ring with his offense. I believe Cutler is 6’3” and I think his legs are 6’1”. He has greatly improved since his AEW debut. His personality shines. He is very comfortable in the ring. His little push he is getting is well-deserved. He is very smart in and out of the ring and it shows in his talent.

Now, let me talk Danny Limelight. This was his best showing yet. He looked very good in the ring, showed personality, was loud and vocal and hit some very quality moves. He’s always been a good athlete but if we see more of this Limelight in the future, he may have a place here. I’m intrigued. This was a very good match.

— Stu Grayson and Evil Uno vs. Baron Black and Fuego Del Sol: First off, Black’s gear is horrible. He also had a rough botch on a tag. However, the hot tag was pretty good offensively. But, amateur stuff. Fuego is starting to slowly add a little muscle I have noticed too. Cool deal.

Dark Order were the stars though. Grayson attacks like he is 6’6” 325 lbs as part of his character and I love it. Uno has one of the coolest finishers on the roster. Love.

— Leva Bates vs. Alex Gracia: No comment on any of this. I like Leva. She is a great personality. She doesn’t need a win. Gracia just needs more reps but her confidence is boosting each time she wrestles. I don’t have a clue what the endgame is with Leva. Worst match on today’s card. Like, it was really, really bad.

— Matt Sydal vs. Aaron Solow: Good match. Sydal is a great wrestler and he will help any talent look better than they are. Solow is going to be signed, if he isn’t already. Everybody likes him on the roster.

— KTB vs. Shawn Spears with Tully Blanchard: Love KTB, hate his gear. He needed a little more shine in this match but he’s a good prospect to keep bringing back. Spears is basically Randy Orton of AEW now wrestling wise. So, you get a competent worker in the ring who moves at his own pace. That’s all I got there.

— Angel Fashion, VSK, and Shawn Donavan vs. Gunn Club: It was a match I tell you. I’ll say one thing: Austin Gunn is the star of this group. His energy is huge and it’s very contagious to fans. He’s somebody to watch out for in the future. He has natural energy and charisma and he’s greatly improving.

— George South Jr. and Bobby Wayward vs. The Acclaimed: Really enjoyed this match. Let’s talk the people:

Caster is the star and he is the future. Bottom line. He’s gonna get the Starks treatment where once he hits Dynamite, he keeps rapping, he cuts the promos (he’s a very good promo) and leans in harder to the heel, you’ll see him really shine. He has IT. Making Bowens get in before him each time on Dark is foreshadowing of their future and partnership right now. Good heel move.

Bowens is the pitbull. Big energy, TV ready and great look. Just takes orders from Caster. Botched twice, but wasn’t painful to see.

Wayward: Really liked him and want to see more. He has to lose the pants though. He won’t be taken seriously with that. He is good in the ring and worth more looks.

South was CAW stuff.

— 5 and 10 vs. Jurassic Express with Marko Stunt vs. Sonny Kiss and Joey Janela: Best match tonight. Angels (5) was the star. Bumped his rear end off and he was SMOOTH. He is 22 years old and signed to the main roster. Yeah, his future is bright. I thought everybody looked really good here and it was chaos.

— Jon Cruz vs. Peter Avalon: You should watch old Cruz Dark matches and then watch this one. You can tell his confidence boosted when he was signed. He was great here. Avalon was too. He really is a cartoon character right now.

— KiLynn King vs. Katalina Perez: Love King. Absolutely love her. She has come a very long way. She looks like she belongs. Perez I know is talented as I’ve seen a lot of her indie work but she’s still so indie. She has work to do.

— Lindsay Snow vs. Ivelisse: Ivelisse’s best match yet. Snow looked more comfortable this go too. Ivelisse’s finisher is awful. Snow wrestled like a heavyweight. Decent match; still can’t stand Ivelisse.

— Lady Frost vs. Red Velvet: LOVED THIS. Great match, and let me just say: WOW has Velvet improved. She is getting much, much, much better in the ring and her confidence, her moveset, her energy...she’s TV ready.

And so is Frost and I’m at the point where I’ll be extremely disappointed if she isn’t signed soon. Frost has never looked better, paid her dues at this point, and has said she really enjoys the backstage atmosphere here. I think she is being looked at seriously but time will tell. She’s unique. And she rules. And that’s an unbiased take!

— Chaos Project vs. Alex Chamberlain and Seth Gargis: Chaos Project has also immensely improved. Luther’s flaws are hidden by Serpentico and vice versa. Did not care at all about the opponents.

— Ricky Starks vs. Damian Fenrir: Ricky is the truth and his time is coming. We all know this. He’s main event ready. Fenrir is a good wrestler who just needs more seasoning. Good match, obvious result and both competitors looked good.

This was a good Dark and if Tony does do the developmental thing with Dark, I think we are all seeing who the prospects are. After December rounds itself out, the prospects they’re probably signing in the near future should come to a head pretty quickly. Some already do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Darkthoughts

Anthony Ogogo on commentary again. Cool. He is getting good at this.

1) KTB versus Shawn Spears. I really want to see KTB refined a bit more. He's been good, but I want him to be more monstrous. Gee, I wonder if Shawn Spears is going to use a loaded glove in this match. God, I wish the business between Spears and Sky wasn't far from over with. I do quite like Sky throwing Spears off his game though. Okay, I did not expect Sky to attack KTB. Interesting.

2) Damian Fenrir vs Ricky Starks. Fenrir has a good look. If anything he's got the muscle edge on Starks, which is saying something. I love Starks' cocky ring work. Heeling even in small motions. Fenrir has a good right hand, but this was never in doubt. Fun. Would like to see more from Fenrir.

3) Brandon Cutler vs Danny Limelight. Big Limelight fan from NJPW Strong. Very fond of the riffing from commentary. Very athletic, almost gymnastic match here, Limelight is working heel here which fits his current New Japan work. Armbar into powerbomb was a good spot. This match is VERY back and forth. Really enjoyed it.

4) Jon Cruz vs Peter Avalon. I know this guy from somewhere. Some kind of project he was working on... something nice about seeing two old hands just go at it. This was fun, and I'm glad to see Cruz double his paycheck.

5) Tesha Price vs Shanna. Going to try and set aside the ways Shanna has awful opinions and judge her on ring work. She starts pretty quick and aggressive.,but there's some rust here. I liked seeing Price get some aggressive offense in. This is a pretty good match. I enjoy finally seeing some more from Tesha Price and I can't deny Shanna's skills. Not a bad match at all. Also gently caress fascists and islamophobes and especially islamophobic fascists.

I would also leave if Marvez tried to talk to me

6) Katalina Perez vs KiLynn King. Queenpin vs King. King is getting pretty good at driving a match. Perez seemed better this time than last. King's middle rope missile dropkick is superb. Ending was a bit rough but this was good.

7) Adam Priest and Shawn Maluta vs Best Friends. Maluta is developing nicely. I still haven't seen much memorable from Priest, but this was a fun tag squash match.

8) Leva Bates vs Alex Gracia. I love Leva's new music. Very good fit for her. Incidentally, Leva's other book is about Korean boy band NCT. Leva is never going to be Shida level as a wrestler, and she goes to the ragdoll sell too often, but she has so much character that I don't mind. Gracia hasn't had a chance to show much. Match was only okay.

9) Angel Fashion, VSK, and Sean Donovan vs Large Adult Gunns. I loved the Taz entrance. Did VSK beat himself up before the bell? I hope Austin Gunn is really awesome at whatever he does backstage because he is a comprehensive failson as a wrestler. I don't mind Colton, though. Billy, stop being creepy with Aubrey.

10) Aaron Solow vs Matt Sydal. This could be fun. Sydal has grown on me and I always liked Solow. I like seeing a bit of aggression from Solow, who works heel brilliantly. Lots of good athletic work here, and nice to see Solow kick out of some serious Sydal offense. This was pretty good fun.

11) Stu Grayson and Evil Uno vs Baron Black and Fuego Del Sol. I'm telling you, if there were audiences, Fuego would be over as hell just based on Sammy's vlog. Woah, Fuego's spinning headscissors was pretty good. Here's your occasional reminder that Uno and Grayson are one of the best tag teams in any company. Is Starks drunk? Grayson is legit an amazing bumper. Uno just became the biggest heel in wrestling by blocking the Tornado DDT.

12) Ryzin and Cezar Bononi vs Team Hair. After that Bononi article this week I want him to win and be given all the titles and a free house. He has "no time, bro" in Portuguese on his butt. I like the Bononi / Ryzin misfit team. This was fun.

13) Lindsay Snow vs Ivelisse. Snow has such a great look. This match goes hard from the start. Could have been longer, and there were points where Ivelisse just didn't seem to care, but this wasn't bad.

14) George South Jr and Bobby Wayward vs The Acclaimed. Only an okay rap to start with. George South Jr has a body like a cannellini bean. Wayward got them Abdullah The Butcher bois. This is a pretty good fun rear end kicking. Acclaimed are pretty flawless.

15) Chaos Project vs Alex Chamberlain and Seth Gargis. Gargis has a good look. The lumberjack shirt and cycle shorts pair well. Chaos Project whip rear end. I'm sure I've seen that Serpentico somewhere before... The start of this was super good fun. I like Chaos Project because it's like if an orc and a kobold became friends. For a guy with the natural mobility of a Maytag twin tub washer dryer, Luther has a pretty good dropkick. Every Luther / Serpentico double team is simultaneously awesome and utterly hilarious. Seth Gargis is a pretty impressive oaf. This was fun.

16) Lady Frost vs Red Velvet. New gear for Red? Lady Frost has exceptional poise. Each of her moves feels very exact and precise. This match is really pretty good. Velvet looked strong without making Frost look weak.

17) 5 and 10 vs Bad Romance vs Jurassic Express. These three team tags are always fun, and the division is so strong there's always something going on. The closed captioning just referred to "Lucha Soros". Which is fun. I love some of the Five And Dime tag combinations. This is the perfect card position for Janela. Credible, fun, not hurt by a loss. You could build a division around just the guys in this match. Ten throwing 5 at Janela for a DDT was awesome. This match deserved an audience.

I enjoyed this show. Some throwaway matches, but Chaos Project, Cake Frosting, and the insane three way match made for a great ending.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

However good Shanna is in the ring, her personal politics are just not something I'll be able to look past but the upshot of that is for the first time the women's division is in a strong enough place that they don't really need her. I know they're not going to dump her or anything but it's nice to know that if she did slink off to some racist hole, we'd still be able to see really good women's wrestling (on Dark and one on Dynamite.)

Solow and Sydal was absolutely my MOTN, I was really lukewarm on Sydal but I've come around him and Solow is just plain good in the ring. Out of the ring, I'm really impressed with how far Ogogo has come on commentary, he really sounded loose and locked in with Taz and Excalibur's shenanigans and that was really encouraging, though I swill want them to hire Veda for Dark.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rantmo posted:

However good Shanna is in the ring, her personal politics are just not something I'll be able to look past but the upshot of that is for the first time the women's division is in a strong enough place that they don't really need her.

Eh, they still do need her; the women's division is improving, but they need all the good/experienced workers they can get. Her politics are very gross and I wish AEW had gotten Killer Kelly instead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Eh, they still do need her; the women's division is improving, but they need all the good/experienced workers they can get. Her politics are very gross and I wish AEW had gotten Killer Kelly instead.

They need her on dark doing tune up matches with the dev women. I never wanna see her on Dynamite. The first time she is will be the first time I skip a segment.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

rantmo posted:

Solow and Sydal was absolutely my MOTN, I was really lukewarm on Sydal but I've come around him and Solow is just plain good in the ring. Out of the ring, I'm really impressed with how far Ogogo has come on commentary, he really sounded loose and locked in with Taz and Excalibur's shenanigans and that was really encouraging, though I swill want them to hire Veda for Dark.

Sydal has honestly impressed the poo poo of me since his initial botch of the year candidate run in. Also he super needs to join Chaos Project, or they need to join him.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Sydal has honestly impressed the poo poo of me since his initial botch of the year candidate run in. Also he super needs to join Chaos Project, or they need to join him.

I think for me a big part of it has been his being a cool submission guy rather than a flippy man--not that I don't love flippy poo poo but we've got so many and of such quality that he didn't sound like he'd be appealing. Being a flippy guy from his feet who then does cool grappling is a great niche and it turns out he's really good there! I like seeing people be good.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vince MechMahon posted:

They need her on dark doing tune up matches with the dev women. I never wanna see her on Dynamite. The first time she is will be the first time I skip a segment.

Agreed. Keep her on Dark to work training matches and/or do short angles.

I'm liking Sydal too - at first I was rolling my eyes at him for being an obvious Cody hire, but he's a ridiculously smooth technical wrestler and his "I've done ayahuasca before" gimmick is fun. He needs to team with Serena Deeb somehow.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I, as a loyal AEW viewer who respects the real EVPs (The Young Bucks and also Cody) will be only watching AEW Dark and thus will only post in the AEW Dark thread. The traitors in the other thread can do what they may.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im all in on team TNAInvasion

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I'm not being a scab and will stay with Dark. Dark Posters 420 needs to keep our solidarity.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oil! posted:

I'm not being a scab and will stay with Dark. Dark Posters 420 needs to keep our solidarity.

I'm going to watch Dark on the big screen with the volume on and impact on my iPad with no sound until Kenny shows up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm going to watch Dark (tomorrow at work as is my custom) and only watch any relevant Impact clips on YouTube or wherever because Twitch is Amazon and I don't gently caress with them. Also Dark is, y'know, good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oil! posted:

Is 420 the number of minutes in the show or matches on the card either way I am psyched!

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Cody’s been going out of his way (has tweeted twice about it) to put over tonight’s Red Velvet/Dani Jordyn match.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i would occasionally watch IMPACT on twitch before they region blocked europe. brian cage's wife would read user comments during the ad breaks while appearing to be p. stoned

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Cody’s been going out of his way (has tweeted twice about it) to put over tonight’s Red Velvet/Dani Jordyn match.

her match with Lady Frost was good last week

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Darkness

Imprisoning Me

All That I See

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

oh but seriously I posted:

her match with Lady Frost was good last week

Yeah, I think Velvet is definitely the top breakout of the Dark prospects.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not even a minute into the show and it's already a great Dark.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Joey bumps harder for the rear end every week

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Nice waistcoat Baron

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Time for Sonny to kick rear end with his rear end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Joey bumping for Sonny's rear end is hilarious.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the only way to counter sonn's splits is to work the taint

gooch death drop

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

oh but seriously I posted:

the only way to counter sonn's splits is to work the taint

gooch death drop

did Lucha Bros fight them yet? if so, did Penta bounce when they used the Taint Destroyer?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

did Lucha Bros fight them yet? if so, did Penta bounce when they used the Taint Destroyer?

Penta hit it on Janela

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Pray for Limelight

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

MorningMoon posted:

He did it on Joey and almost shattered his legs.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MorningMoon posted:

penta glitched through the geometry and gibbed

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

run danni. save yourself

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

no offense to limelight, but lol that half tornillo

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MorningMoon posted:

no offense to limelight, but lol that half tornillo

i appreciate all unecessary spins

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dan E Limelight!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Alaois posted:

Dan E Limelight!

gently caress!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I thought Danni looked pretty good there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

She's got a big arse-k

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

she's got a big arse

inappropriate, agogo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*pulse voice*

thats true aaaaand thats true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois