Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

All of the QAnon folks I follow are being pretty boring right now. Here's something one of them posted that's not QAnon-related but made me laugh:

Beware of yoga demons.

I'm starting to think we should put the lead back in the gasoline and get it over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's two flavors of "Yoga is evil" in Christianity, the first is "the physical exercise parts are okay, but the meditations are evil so don't do those," and "All of yoga is bad, even the physical exercise parts, because they are designed to make your body easier for demons to enter."

Anyone who’s gone to yoga with a bad bout of gas knows that it’s far more likely that it’s expelling demons from your body, not making it easier to enter.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My Mormon mom definitely told me that all forms of meditation open you to possession because clearing your mind creates space for the evil spirits

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nonathlon posted:

That's a great book too that from the sounds of things lines up with what Ehrman says. There's some controversy about that I don't quite understand, which seems to be "how dare the author try and interpret the gospel!" but it seemed fairly solid to me

its chuds being mad that he was born muslim (iranian immigrants from before the revolution i believe) but his family was pretty non practicing so he found Christianity young super hard and than realized how nuts and literalist evangelicalism was. i mean i have heard his book is basicaly a more pop history version of Ehmans stuff (i got one of his classes off audible) but all the controversy came from dumb chuds like this clown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0&t=1s america has a super literalist strain of evangelical that i don't think many other countries have.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Internet Wizard posted:

My Mormon mom definitely told me that all forms of meditation open you to possession because clearing your mind creates space for the evil spirits

"Meditatio" is a Latin word used by monastic writers to describe the kind of praying where you sit around thinking about how great Hod is and poo poo and it will never stop being funny to me how much American Christians hate the foundations of Christianity.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

That's almost literally Warhammer 40k's 'An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded'. Amazing

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There are yoga... "sects"? regarding "kundalini" which can easily be interpreted as "awakening the inner serpent" which is obviously suspicious from certain perspectives.

really though it's probably just about physical exertion and stretching leading to good intestinal behavior with a metaphysical overlay lol

some practitioners are even up front about it

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 28, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm starting to think we should put the lead back in the gasoline and get it over with.

just start selling q wine with lead as a sweetener like the romans

what christians hate about yoga in my experience is the suggestion that everyday people are divine in some respect. this may be something that was added to their hate over time, but that's what i hear

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Back in the good old days we had all the lead we wanted. In the air, in the toys, in the wall paint. And nobody whined about it like a little bitch and nothing bad happened to us *votes for Donald J. Trump in the presidential election 50 years after severe lead exposure*

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

betaraywil posted:

"Meditatio" is a Latin word used by monastic writers to describe the kind of praying where you sit around thinking about how great Hod is and poo poo and it will never stop being funny to me how much American Christians hate the foundations of Christianity.

My mom had grown up Lutheran before converting as an adult so she sometimes had some weird syncretic beliefs that tried to fit in some of the weird evangelical stuff with the more scriptural literalist Mormon beliefs. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing in doctrine about meditation like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mediaphage posted:

just start selling q wine with lead as a sweetener like the romans

what christians hate about yoga in my experience is the suggestion that everyday people are divine in some respect. this may be something that was added to their hate over time, but that's what i hear

Isn't that core doctrine for Protestants? I'm just a dumb Catholic but I thought that was a Thing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Christianity in 2020 is a cudgel to be used politically and anyone proclaiming otherwise is useful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn't that core doctrine for Protestants? I'm just a dumb Catholic but I thought that was a Thing.

couldn't tell you, but it certainly wasn't when growing up southern baptist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's more a thing of super-Protestants like Quakers/Society of Friends, and their idea of Inner Light.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

It's more a thing of super-Protestants like Quakers/Society of Friends, and their idea of Inner Light.

ahh that makes sense given what little i know about those groups

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not quite. What you are thinking of is "the priesthood of all believers", where all Protestants are able to connect directly to God through prayer, without needing any external priestly adaptor.

But if you do this and you get the 'wrong answer', you weren't listening to God at all.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Guavanaut posted:

It's also big in Orthodox theology, where they talk about theosis. If you do enough ascetic practice and pray hard enough, you can prioritize the divine nature within you over the human nature and come into greater, truer communion with God.

Come to think of it, it's also big in Jesuit theology, where the communion of prayer is one in which Jesus empties himself of divine energy in order to become more human, because that shared humanity (perfected in Christ) is the medium through which Christ can bestow grace on the praying (or otherwise sacred-stuff-doing) person.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FFT posted:

Christianity in 2020 is a cudgel to be used politically and anyone proclaiming otherwise is useful.

Uh, always was. See Constantine, the crusades, the selling of benefices and indulgences, kings going protestant to divorce spouse and etc..., etc..., etc....

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It was one of Martin Luther’s primary complaints about the war against the Ottomans, that the Church was encouraging it to extract more money out of Germans.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Murgos posted:

Uh, always was. See Constantine, the crusades, the selling of benefices and indulgences, kings going protestant to divorce spouse and etc..., etc..., etc....

That gently caress Charlemagne!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its chuds being mad that he was born muslim (iranian immigrants from before the revolution i believe) but his family was pretty non practicing so he found Christianity young super hard and than realized how nuts and literalist evangelicalism was. i mean i have heard his book is basicaly a more pop history version of Ehmans stuff (i got one of his classes off audible) but all the controversy came from dumb chuds like this clown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0&t=1s america has a super literalist strain of evangelical that i don't think many other countries have.

Thanks for this. I couldn't figure why people were complaining that a religious studies scholar was writing about religion.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. there is a short poppish history book by Reza Aslan thats about how jesus was probably just a big disciple of John the Baptist who took off on his own and was basically a slightly smarter Zealot rebel who took the Jewish messiah claimant like the 20 other dudes were doing around that time. the whole temple sacking was about him getting mad at the temple allowing gentiles and overly complicated cleansing rituals.

basically his followers invented the resurrection to differentiate themselves from the other failed claiments and than paul co-opted and changed the messaging to get a roman/greek audiance and to distance it from its Jewish origins because of the Jewish rebellions.

https://www.amazon.com/Zealot-Life-Times-Jesus-Nazareth/dp/0812981480/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=zealot&qid=1606339803&s=books&sr=1-1

I like this book a whole lot because it talks about the era in far more political terms than most do.

Also: I am talking to a cult deprogrammer tonight about Q for my youtube channel. Anyone have any last minute questions lemme know.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

I like this book a whole lot because it talks about the era in far more political terms than most do.

Also: I am talking to a cult deprogrammer tonight about Q for my youtube channel. Anyone have any last minute questions lemme know.

This might be silly, but, if your person has any experience, are there any parallels between religious cults and, say, MLM scams? Could the techniques used to deprogram cult followers also be used to unfuck the brains of Huns?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

yeah. thats probably why i liked it. its also a pretty good "intro to historical jesus and the time period 101".

Id probably ask them, what's the most difficult part of deprograming them.

nonathlon posted:

Thanks for this. I couldn't figure why people were complaining that a religious studies scholar was writing about religion.

yeah. the american right is stupidly literalist and fundamentalist's when it comes to Christianity and not even in just the "covering for bigotry" sense. i suspect its why poo poo like Qanon and the satanic panic has such fertile soil.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

I guess my question would be what deprogramming someone from Q would look like? A lot of them seem to have gotten into it via some other fringe beliefs, including left-leaning ones. In a cult deprogrammer's experience, does someone who leaves a cult generally fall back to an earlier belief system on the fringe or do they start chasing something else entirely?

Basically, would someone who has been stewing in Q for the last few years "revert" to eccentricities like simply distrusting nuclear power, vaccines, thinking Climate Change is a means to launder grant funding, etc. Do they accept a more broadly accepted view of reality that the rest of us have to work with? Or do they fall into some new extreme?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Marx Was A Lib posted:

This might be silly, but, if your person has any experience, are there any parallels between religious cults and, say, MLM scams? Could the techniques used to deprogram cult followers also be used to unfuck the brains of Huns?

There's an episode of The Dream all about this. The answers are kinda-sorta and no. (In large part because cult deprogramming is one of those things that is practiced by both people with formal, evidence-based psychological/psychiatric training and hucksters who are making it up as they go along and just kind of abuse mentally ill people for money.)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

betaraywil posted:

There's an episode of The Dream all about this. The answers are kinda-sorta and no. (In large part because cult deprogramming is one of those things that is practiced by both people with formal, evidence-based psychological/psychiatric training and hucksters who are making it up as they go along and just kind of abuse mentally ill people for money.)

The problem with cult deprogramming is that the whole movement was based on an idea of "brainwashing" that doesn't actually exist in reality. In reality there's slim to no evidence that brainwashing is even real, but a whole cottage industry sprung up around the idea that people could be turned into mindless zombies with just the right mind-control techniques, and that people needed to be kidnapped and "deprogrammed" to save them from this.

In reality it was all a bunch of bullshit, and unsurprisingly, kidnapping people could leave them with worse mental trauma than the cult they were supposedly being "saved" from.

Edit: To a very limited extent brainwashing can exist, but only in situations where someone is being held prisoner and subjected to torture and fear of death, like a North Korean POW camp, and even then the brainwashing has only limited effectiveness and usually wears off after a while once the prisoner has been rescued from the situation.

All other things labeled brainwashing are better understood as just:

1. Being socialized in a particular way as a child.

or

2. Being fed propaganda.

I think QAnon is closest to #2. These people are being fed endless garbage propaganda about non-existent conspiracies and threats, and told to tune out any source of information that isn't in line with the propaganda. IMO there's a growing fascist right in the US, and it's feeding its adherents whatever propaganda appeals most to them. For Evangelicals, it's the QAnon nonsense about satanic baby-eaters. For others it's just generic garbage about how the election was stolen. The end goal is the same: to demonize Democrats and get followers to be zealous supporters of right-wing fascist candidates for office.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 2, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So it doesn’t exist but it does. People in cults are clearly acting completely of their own free will.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

All of the QAnon folks I follow are being pretty boring right now. Here's something one of them posted that's not QAnon-related but made me laugh:

Beware of yoga demons.

I never knew Christians hated Yoga so much

Was it part of the Satanic Panic? My god Boomer beliefs are so loving bizarre:psyduck:

You need a chart to keep track of everything they think is and isn't a Satan

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 3, 2020

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

I never knew Christian's hated Yoga so much

Was it part of the Satanic Panic? My god Boomer beliefs are so loving bizarre:psyduck:

Can't, charts are Satan as well. Why do you think they attacked D&D so hard? All that talk of magic and demons was a cover for the true satanic power of charts.

When in doubt just assume it's Satan, thats what I learned as a kid when a friend's mom was convinced the Nembutsu I repeated when asked to lead a prayer before dinner was actually me speaking in tongues to summon Satan.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TulliusCicero posted:

If it's popular, and it's not Jesus, it's satanic

Yoga, rock music, dungeons and dragons, it's all the devil's work

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TulliusCicero posted:

Of course they hate Yoga, it was made made by filthy heathen Indians.

The only reason white Christians don't hate us much more is because Indians don't make the news often.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I have a pet theory that a lot of it is just boomers hating what "the youth" is into so they justify it as satanism to give them clout

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

I have a pet theory that a lot of it is just boomers hating what "the youth" is into so they justify it as satanism to give them clout

partly but i think alot of it is just weird leftovers from the cultural shitshow that was the satanic panic and the moral majority evangelicals that held big big sway nationally 70s through 90s/early 2000s. that poo poo doesnt fly well with gen x/milenials/zoomers who remember being on the reciving end of that bullshit. least the former two do.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Of course they hate Yoga, it was made made by filthy heathen Indians.

The only reason white Christians don't hate us much more is because Indians don't make the news often.

I actually saw a clip of the 700 Club from forever ago with a 20-something guy talking about how he found jesus, even after dabbling with hinduism in college. He made it sound like he'd escaped the clutches of satan himself

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I actually saw a clip of the 700 Club from forever ago with a 20-something guy talking about how he found jesus, even after dabbling with hinduism in college. He made it sound like he'd escaped the clutches of satan himself

Born again? They always repaint their pasts as being horrendous and vile.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

He made it sound like he'd escaped the clutches of satan himself

He had.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tbf converting to Hinduism as a westerner is pretty goofy, Jesus saved him from being one of those guys.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Mantis42 posted:

Tbf converting to Hinduism as a westerner is pretty goofy, Jesus saved him from being one of those guys.

I mean, to Evangelicals, the threshhold for "dabbling in another religion" is hearing about it and thinking "huh, that's kinda neat" instead of instantly putting on the Armor of God to pray the demons away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Again this was years ago, but I recall it being much closer to "learned about hinduism and thought it was cool" than any kind of conversion