Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Politoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

industrial packaging.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Laserface posted:

Wasnt al-qaeda 100% fabricated by the FBI as a means to arrest osama bin laden retroactively for the 9/11 attacks?

and then, once america started shouting about it so much, the terrorists in afghanistan figured they were all part of the al-qaeda network and actually became a terrorist network?

this movie is dedicated to the brave mujahideen fighters of afghanistan

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
If we shift production from China to Vietnam, our customers are going to poo poo themselves when they have to pay for new printing plates & cylinders again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A bunch of Asian friends are getting extra attention from racists lately, thanks Scomo, Pauline etc'

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wait we are criticizing another country for putting Muslims in camps?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GoldStandardConure posted:

If we shift production from China to Vietnam, our customers are going to poo poo themselves when they have to pay for new printing plates & cylinders again.

you just tell them you did and it'll cost 5% more

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Laserface posted:

Wasnt al-qaeda 100% fabricated by the FBI as a means to arrest osama bin laden retroactively for the 9/11 attacks?

and then, once america started shouting about it so much, the terrorists in afghanistan figured they were all part of the al-qaeda network and actually became a terrorist network?

Rewatch part three of the doco “the power of nightmares” (Deffo overstated but real)

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Laserface posted:

it’s like how Apex Gang is comprised of posters in this thread

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Australia is no saint when it comes to immigrants but endless loving lol at this.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

you just tell them you did and it'll cost 5% more

Our products are now made* in Australia for a 250% mark up. It's a bargain really.

*assembled**

**repacked with a kangaroo sticker

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Presented without comment. The winner of the Groom by-election. Was deleted shortly after posting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Well at least I agree with him that Chinese-Australians should be ashamed of their government.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Gone already.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Resident Idiot posted:

Gone already.

Was going to ask for guesses on how long until punted.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I didn’t realize how sensitive Aussies are wrt to their warcrimes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chomskyan posted:

I didn’t realize how sensitive Aussies are wrt to their warcrimes

They are when PRC propagandists use them to troll the internet.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Ok but to continually call a political cartoon a “fake image” when it depicts something that actually happened (AU soldiers slitting the throats of children). It’s just sad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really goes in with how they're stupid racists who think nonwhite people are even more stupid and won't be able to tell an image isn't the literal truth unless they're repeatedly told.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Chomskyan posted:

Ok but to continually call a political cartoon a “fake image” when it depicts something that actually happened (AU soldiers slitting the throats of children). It’s just sad.

I was the same as you, I belabored under the misconception that the two 14 year old boys throat slitting report was one of the apparent war crimes with strong evidentiary base. It turns out that it is not and the image is indeed a fake image, both literally and in terms of relating provable events.

The SAS and the people that put the SAS in the situation they were in are reprehensible and need to be held to account. That does not give a free pass for China to advance its geopolitical goals via dehumanising propaganda which at this particular time is related to Australia having influence in PNG, Fiji and other islands within a few hundred or thousand km of Australia as well as supporting countries with strongly supportable claims on the South China Sea.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

They are when PRC propagandists use them to troll the internet.

Tweets, man

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fu Yu is a militaristic Chinese nationalist. Check out his other digital works they're mint.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://au.news.yahoo.com/shocking-australian-crimes-afghanistan-034507121--spt.html

quote:

In one incident, special forces were driving along a road and saw two 14-year-old boys they decided might be Taliban sympathisers. They stopped, searched the boys and slit their throats. The rest of the troop had to clean up the mess, bagging the bodies and throwing them into a nearby river. Special forces soldiers reportedly committed such unsanctioned killings in order to get a name for themselves.

Sure seems like AU special forces did murder children

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I dunno, maybe if you don’t want to be called out for killing children by a low-tier internet troll... don’t kill children?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chomskyan posted:

I dunno, maybe if you don’t want to be called out for killing children by a low-tier internet troll... don’t kill children?

I'm sure the internet troll is the most pressing thing in the minds of the SAS murder squad.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

drat you’re right. I forgot there’s no way to control the behavior of your own troops.

In that case, maybe Australia shouldn’t occupy Afghanistan?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chomskyan posted:

drat you’re right. I forgot there’s no way to control the behavior of your own troops.

In that case, maybe Australia shouldn’t occupy Afghanistan?

Probably!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

JBP posted:

Probably!

The gently caress do you mean "probably!"

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

said country is criticising our treatment of Muslims in Afghanistan. 2020 is getting weird

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

The gently caress do you mean "probably!"

What are you misunderstanding

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Rewatch part three of the doco “the power of nightmares” (Deffo overstated but real)

I could or you can remind me of it because Adam Curtis can be a slog

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

JBP posted:

What are you misunderstanding

Why you think invading afghanistan almost a decade ago is a "probably!" good or bad ideas, who can tell, the evidence is thin

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 2, 2020

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Is the argument behind saying “AU soldiers didn’t slit Afghan kids throats” that it was only based on eyewitness testimony and not video evidence?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
no, there were other accounts with only eyewitness evidence that got treated as 'credible' by ADF brass

it may relate to the number of witnesses or quality of testimony or if other circumstances lined up, like if the soldiers accused of slitting kids throats were not on that patrol or whatever.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

So we don’t even know the grounds on which they call the report unreliable, and just have to trust the assessment of the ADF

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

pretty much, yeah. the section of the official report detailing specific instances is all still classified pending charges being bought afaik.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

There are a number of events which are likely to support a military conviction. There are also other allegations which are not supported to a standard likely to result in a conviction or are provably untrue. The 14 year old boys one was in the second group.

As a result on its own investigation, the ADF disbanded 2SQN, recommended the stripping of the unit meritorious service medals for several years (looking like being overruled by the political leadership of Australia) and pursuit of military justice of a number personnel as well as show cause notices going out to those that likely would not be able to be convicted but were otherwise likely to have been involved or negligent in their leadership.

The ADF is like any defense force and is to be distrusted as a matter of course and it is possible or maybe even likely that that there are other and even worse events that have not been reported. However, it looks like the ADF has (belatedly) gone in fairly strongly on this. It is only a short time ago the SAS were treated by the Australian public similar to how Americans glorify and undulate their armed forces. The media and ADF leadership coming out and outing the SAS as the shameful dogs that they are is probably beyond what most military organisations around the world would ever expect.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

There are a number of events which are likely to support a military conviction. There are also other allegations which are not supported to a standard likely to result in a conviction or are provably untrue. The 14 year old boys one was in the second group.

we don't know the evidentiary grounds on which they decided which events went into which group though, unless I've missed something.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

yeah tru dat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Chinese regime removed the PM's post on WeChat.

Why are they doing all this now though? This whole "I'm not touching you!" needling is for whose benefit?