Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

I wish cutoff lenses were mandated (although yes, obviously, I know that would never, ever be enforced).
I'm a little less inclined to lean that way because a lot of people need whatever the cheapest thing they need to avoid police harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah my light and motion urban 500 is fairly meh. Narrow, round beam that probably throws up a good amount of glare and wastes useful light. Then after like 2 months the usb connector broke off. They gave me a $50 credit on the store no questions asked at least.

Nightrider looks like they have a little bit wider and flatter beam pattern.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bicievino posted:

loving hate the superbright lights aimed directly at my eyeballs on the MUP. Makes it impossible to know if I'm about to plow in to a pedestrian at night because I can't see anything but the huge ball of light coming at me.

Same. How hard is it to angle your lamp down onto the road? I mean it's actually useful like that too.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I have a crazy bright helmet mounted light for night snowboarding and I considered using that to counter blind those guys, but it would be too much effort make an easy to use switch.

I know we're just joking around and stuff but it's this sort of attitude that so very often makes other cyclists just the worst (after electric scooters and cars). It's always about escalation and revenge instead of trying to teach good habits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I wish cutoff lenses were mandated (although yes, obviously, I know that would never, ever be enforced).
Yeah I really wish STVZO certs were a EU-wide thing.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know we're just joking around and stuff but it's this sort of attitude that so very often makes other cyclists just the worst (after electric scooters and cars). It's always about escalation and revenge instead of trying to teach good habits.
Giving uncaring people a dose of their own medicine isn't the same as taking over their behavior. Most people aren't evil, they're just oblivious/uncaring.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Holding up your hand to shield your eyes is plenty enough to get the message across to someone who probably isn't aware of how badly they are blinding people. Blinding them back is both petty and unsafe.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I'm a little less inclined to lean that way because a lot of people need whatever the cheapest thing they need to avoid police harassment.

A shaped lens doesn't have to be expensive. B&M sell tons of very cheap rechargeable battery lights with them, just not in the US.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

A shaped lens doesn't have to be expensive. B&M sell tons of very cheap rechargeable battery lights with them, just not in the US.
I'm sure peter white would be happy to import them for 3x the price.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Holding up your hand to shield your eyes is plenty enough to get the message across to someone who probably isn't aware of how badly they are blinding people. Blinding them back is both petty and unsafe.
Literally no one has done anything about their light unless I yell I them to lower it. Flashing an MTB light at someone coming at you with their way high is literally the equivalent of flashing your high beams at someone who didn't bother turning theirs off.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I was thinking of upgrading my dinky Cateye front light and was looking at the Knog Lil Cobber, which boasts "4 eye saving modes" - not clear if its other people's eyes its saving, or if the light is so bright that it'll usually blind the rider as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dieselfruit posted:

I was thinking of upgrading my dinky Cateye front light and was looking at the Knog Lil Cobber, which boasts "4 eye saving modes" - not clear if its other people's eyes its saving, or if the light is so bright that it'll usually blind the rider as well.
Just get something that's STVZO.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Just get something that's STVZO.
I should just try walking into the specialized shop down the street and just to see how the sales people respond to me asking for an stvzo certified light.

E: to be serious, If I could find a US supplier for stvzo lights for about $10 wholesale I would be so excited.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I should just try walking into the specialized shop down the street and just to see how the sales people respond to me asking for an stvzo certified light.

E: to be serious, If I could find a US supplier for stvzo lights for about $10 wholesale I would be so excited.

How about $10 retail?

https://www.bike24.com/p2246454.html?menu=1400,1410,1411

Or ask the US Cat Eye distributor to bring this in: https://www.bike24.com/p2346734.html?menu=1400,1410,1411

bicievino fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 2, 2020

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Today is marks a milestone for my bike commute: I made it all the way to the top of the hill (70m, all in one big lump) without walking my bike at all. I took a couple of breaks, sure, but I got back on and pedalled up, not walked.
:feelsgood:

Full sunlight both directions every one of my 35 commutes so far, so I can't really contribute to light-chat. Other than to note I bought the second-cheapest bike lights I could find at KMart and both the front and rear provide the option of either steady-on (at multiple brightness levels) or flashing (again at multiple levels). I personally prefer steady for both front and rear but blinky lights don't bother me very much.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

alnilam posted:

Holding up your hand to shield your eyes is plenty enough to get the message across to someone who probably isn't aware of how badly they are blinding people.

I doubt it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ExecuDork posted:

Today is marks a milestone for my bike commute: I made it all the way to the top of the hill (70m, all in one big lump) without walking my bike at all. I took a couple of breaks, sure, but I got back on and pedalled up, not walked.
:feelsgood:

Congrats! I also have a steep hill, though I'm not sure what the grade is but it's about 400 loving awful meters (Rue de Patay Massena to Rue de Chateau des Rentiers in Paris if you want street view that poo poo). I've gotten the hang it of and can take it at Speed 3 of 6, but UGH. Thankfully, I get it on my way home so I can just give it my all and come home a wreck. Hills suck but getting up them is a great!

Today was my first proper winter rain day. Steady if light rain at about 6 degrees Celsius. Some nasty wind here and there but I felt good and like I could take on the world. Again it helped that it was as I went home though, I can come back a mess, I'd hate to have to go through a day of work like that.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I ordered 20. I hope they don't suck :v:

I'll have to ask the JBI rep about their cateye lineup next time we chat.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I ordered 20. I hope they don't suck :v:

I'll have to ask the JBI rep about their cateye lineup next time we chat.

Cool. Please report back - at that price point I would order a bunch to have at my track for whenever we get back to racing so that folks who ride there but forget lights can get home safely.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I need help finding two bikes, one for me, one for my spouse. I’m posting here and in the other bike thread, assuming most people are subbed to both. I don’t know anything about bikes other than what I read in the OP, so I’m very new. We want bikes to commute into town for fitness, and to use to explore cities when we are on vacation. I assume some kind of gravel bike is what we are looking for but please let me know if that’s off base. A sturdy road bike ought to do the trick, too. Also looking for recommendations for a bike rack to hold two bikes and fits on our 2006 Prius! Thanks, y’all.

Budget: Unknown-- maybe $1500 total? Give and take for the right bikes.
Length of commute: 7 miles one way, but also want bikes to explore cities when on vacation, so it varies a lot
Terrain: 95% paved roads but the rest is rough terrain, back-country roads

Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand):
DFW: https://dallas.craigslist.org/
Austin: https://austin.craigslist.org/

Me
Height: 5’9”
Inseam: 32.5”

Spouse
Height: 5’10”
Inseam: 33.5”

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Where do you guys live that police harass cyclists for minor infractions btw? Our police can't even be bothered to solve murders when they're not brutalizing the black population.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A coworker of mine got a $50 ticket for jumping a red light while riding to work one morning in Manhattan.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mauser posted:

Where do you guys live that police harass cyclists for minor infractions btw? Our police can't even be bothered to solve murders when they're not brutalizing the black population.

Sometimes the black population cycles. Then they get harassed for stupid poo poo like not wearing a helmet or having perfectly complying lights and reflectors.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Oh yeah, my city is majority black and there are a lot of black cyclists. I've never heard of any of my friends here in Baltimore getting that kind of treatment, but I wouldn't put anything past the BPD. I just can't imagine them getting out of their cars to give anybody a citation for something like that, but I'm also not entirely sure what the citationable offenses are here and I doubt they would know either. I'm always worried when I go to D.C. that they might actually enforce traffic rules there because most cyclists stop and wait for lights to change when there's zero traffic.

Edit: so yeah, my question was more of a, "huh you guys have cops that give out citations to cyclists?" kinda vibe because I've pointed illegal activity out to our cops and they said "we're going somewhere" and then drove off without their lights on.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 5, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Around here bike violations are only a pretext to gently caress with people they already intend to gently caress with.

At my shop the only people who ask for a receipt with serial number when they buy a bike are people who are houseless or fit the look.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Mauser posted:

Oh yeah, my city is majority black and there are a lot of black cyclists. I've never heard of any of my friends here in Baltimore getting that kind of treatment, but I wouldn't put anything past the BPD. I just can't imagine them getting out of their cars to give anybody a citation for something like that, but I'm also not entirely sure what the citationable offenses are here and I doubt they would know either. I'm always worried when I go to D.C. that they might actually enforce traffic rules there because most cyclists stop and wait for lights to change when there's zero traffic.

Edit: so yeah, my question was more of a, "huh you guys have cops that give out citations to cyclists?" kinda vibe because I've pointed illegal activity out to our cops and they said "we're going somewhere" and then drove off without their lights on.

You live in Baltimore. If you think that's a typical law enforcement environment, that's really on you.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

A coworker of mine got a $50 ticket for jumping a red light while riding to work one morning in Manhattan.

It's been pretty well documented that the NYPD has it out for cyclists even more than most. My favorite stories are them infiltrating critical mass of all things with obvious undercovers, sending cops to follow critical mass riders home and harass them, and blocking the bike lane with a squad car and then writing tickets for people leaving the bike lane to go around them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a comedy video with like a million views about that subject and it turns out it's not illegal to ride outside a bike lane in NYC?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 5, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's a thin line I find because cyclists are not taken seriously at all by the police in Paris, and so they do whatever they want, which in turn means that the population isn't really aware of them either and doesn't respect cyclists at all (whether a driver or a cyclist) and well accidents happen. The commuter cycling culture here is just nascent but it's not great, which I find weird considering the Tour de France, but that's also cycling as a sport I guess.

I recognize I'm part of the problem, I'll go through reds when safe, I ride with low low volume music (you should have no earbuds on at all when riding), but aside from those two things I pretty much respect all the rules.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Mauser posted:

I'm always worried when I go to D.C. that they might actually enforce traffic rules there because most cyclists stop and wait for lights to change when there's zero traffic.

Not a chance. The only traffic enforcement of any kind in DC is by automated camera. That said, if a driver runs you over, MPD will ticket your broken body.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Wasn't there a comedy video with like a million views about that subject and it turns out it's not illegal to ride outside a bike lane in NYC?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

It is illegal though, in NYC you can get a ticket if you are on a street with a bike lane "nearby" but you are not using it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

In the netherlands they loved to give out tickets for not having lights. I once got stopped by a motorcycle cop in the middle of town at 7:30 in the morning on the way to my commuter train and given a ticket for not having lights (it was plenty bright and I did have lights, they just weren't on). Fought that ticket and won.
A chief of police once got a very public boot because he refused to stop issuing tickets to people wearing their lights on their clothes/packs instead of their bikes (where they get stolen the moment you look away). That was extremely satisfying.

Where I live now any cop gently caress up will get mass publicity if you're white-passing, so they mostly behave. But they've also gotten pretty garbage at parking enforcement, so I carry a can of silly string.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

It is illegal though, in NYC you can get a ticket if you are on a street with a bike lane "nearby" but you are not using it.

That is so loving stupid there are so many reasons why one might have to not ride in the bike lane.

Why are north American cities so god damned stupid?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Our police get off on being vindictive pricks. It's the only reason some of them took the job.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

Where I live now any cop gently caress up will get mass publicity if you're white-passing, so they mostly behave. But they've also gotten pretty garbage at parking enforcement, so I carry a can of silly string.

I like that silly string idea. What do you do with it? It's only a 100+m stretch where I need to take a bike lane that is now on the road instead of the sidewalk, in my town, but people from my town have always parked horribly (double-parking abounds) and they think that bike lane is free parking and use it constantly as such which is incredibly frustrating. A good safe but annoying thing would be satisfying even if it's not effective. I don't think kicking their cars would be a good idea.

I got honked at when a car completely blocked an intersection while on red and I had to unsteadily wobble around them and to not fall I very briefly placed a gloved hand on their car to stabilize. They were not happy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

People freak the gently caress out if you so much as gently touch their car, so i usually just touch a car that is where it shouldn't be, under the guise of "to stabilize" but really it's to make a point that you're in my space. I figure it's harmless but also freaks people out enough that they might remember? :shrug: i do the same when I'm on foot and someone pulls way into the crosswalk

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Crazy. I was a good driver when I had a car, so this wasn't my issue, but my first thought wouldn't be "What're they doing to my car?" but "Oh gently caress, did I hit them by accident, I should make sure they're ok."

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

alnilam posted:

People freak the gently caress out if you so much as gently touch their car

this cannot be overstated lol, I remember years ago I knocked on the side of a van that was edging too close to me (25mph road, no bike lane, steep gutter though) to let them know I was there and they reacted by swerving towards me. I'm still not sure how that logic works unless they knew who I was and were trying to run me into the gutter or something ( I managed to cut up onto the sidewalk luckily)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
u-lock hanging from the handlebars, smashy smashy

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

marshalljim posted:

You live in Baltimore. If you think that's a typical law enforcement environment, that's really on you.
This is my home town and the only place I've ever lived outside of study abroad and Peace Corps, so I am happy to hear other people's experiences :shrug:

VacaGrande posted:

Not a chance. The only traffic enforcement of any kind in DC is by automated camera. That said, if a driver runs you over, MPD will ticket your broken body.

This is news I can use

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
riding in wet 3c conditions today, could taste the salt on the waterspray in my face. Arrived at work visibly grimy from other road sludge in my face :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I almost didn't finish that sentence and wistfully thought, "Oh to live by the sea again!"

That's really gross and I'm sorry for you, but you're a warrior!

I've been heading out in temperatures just shy of freezing and I'm thinking I may put on a small cap under my helmet. I'm only really cold at the onset of the commute. I warm up pretty quickly into. I don't feel like putting on a heavier jacket than my all-purpose windbreaker. I feel like it'd just weigh me down and weigh on me. Shorts going strong.

Me IRL: