Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks, I'll look up some reviews and videos on the GMMK and Tecware Phantom before deciding. The other ones mentioned are way out of my price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I wanted to thank you all. I was suggested a drop alt and after using it for a few weeks, I can confidently say I love it! It ticks all the boxes and the QMK configuration is perfect.

Thank you keyboardgoons.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone picking up a keyboard on BF sale today?

I scored a doorcrasher on the GMMK fullsize + glorious pandas + wrist rest. Really looking forward to trying the switches, I only have T1s to compare it to, and zealios v1 I guess.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mewse posted:

I scored a doorcrasher on the GMMK fullsize + glorious pandas + wrist rest. Really looking forward to trying the switches, I only have T1s to compare it to, and zealios v1 I guess.

I love my lubed pandas. The bump is much bigger than the Zealios, more of a 'D' shape whereas the Zealios is more of a 'P'. At first I didn't really like the feel of lubed Pandas, and wanted to go back to Zealios, but after a day of using them I never bothered to put the Zealios back. I think you're really going to like them, but they might feel a little weird at first.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Keyboard Megathread 2020 - I love my lubed pandas.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Keyboard Megathread 2020 - At first I didn't really like the feel of lubed Pandas

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm currently designing a keyboard kit and trying to figure out the most popular color schemes I should pursue. If you want to look at a bunch of (hopefully nice) colors schemes and help me out you can do so at the link below.

https://forms.gle/1U4xvfZoXJiXgnHJA

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

LordAdakos posted:

I wanted to thank you all. I was suggested a drop alt and after using it for a few weeks, I can confidently say I love it! It ticks all the boxes and the QMK configuration is perfect.

Thank you keyboardgoons.
Yay, I'm really glad!!

huhu posted:

I'm currently designing a keyboard kit and trying to figure out the most popular color schemes I should pursue. If you want to look at a bunch of (hopefully nice) colors schemes and help me out you can do so at the link below.

https://forms.gle/1U4xvfZoXJiXgnHJA
This looks fun, responded! It won't be programmable with QMK, will it?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Stroop There It Is posted:

This looks fun, responded! It won't be programmable with QMK, will it?
Thanks! To be honest, in my several months of research I've heard of QMK several times but have never looked into it. I have several different code examples in Arduino that work with things like media keys, Zoom hot keys, photo editing, etc. In my opinion, they're pretty easy to modify.

A copy command would look like:
code:
Keyboard.press(KEY_LEFT_CTRL);
Keyboard.press('c');
And a play next song command would look like:
code:
Consumer.press(MEDIA_KEY_NEXT);
Do you think I'd benefit from trying to figure out QMK support?

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Random question: can I put cherry MX black stems in an outemu blue housing?

I've got time on my hands and want to make a franenkeyboard with things that I have lying around. A while ago I brought an old PS2 Quantel editing keyboard just to harvest the keycaps from, I saved the PCB and am in the process of desoldering the switches as I quite like the feel of them even though they are old cherry blacks. I was going to desolder the switches in an Aukey KM-G9 that I have but have just won a cheap auction for a Red Dragon K552. I found out after winning that it has removable switches but is only compatible with outemu. I'm idling pondering the idea of swapping the stems and maybe springs from the blacks into the outemu bodies. Any idea if this is possible?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the Leopold FC750R with Cherry Silent Reds. It seems to be a very reputable brand.

mewse
May 2, 2006

grunthaas posted:

Random question: can I put cherry MX black stems in an outemu blue housing?

I've got time on my hands and want to make a franenkeyboard with things that I have lying around. A while ago I brought an old PS2 Quantel editing keyboard just to harvest the keycaps from, I saved the PCB and am in the process of desoldering the switches as I quite like the feel of them even though they are old cherry blacks. I was going to desolder the switches in an Aukey KM-G9 that I have but have just won a cheap auction for a Red Dragon K552. I found out after winning that it has removable switches but is only compatible with outemu. I'm idling pondering the idea of swapping the stems and maybe springs from the blacks into the outemu bodies. Any idea if this is possible?

I just tried putting a gateron yellow stem in an outemu brown housing and it seems to work. I've tried putting outemu tactile stems into gateron housings before and it didn't seem to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpsUO3k8FP0

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

huhu posted:

I think for the sake of marketability, having QMK support would probably increase your sales tenfold.

It'll also probably be the #1 request you'd get from people who bought it/planning to buy it. It will probably end up annoying you tbh. So if there's room/time to include it in, I'd say hell yeah.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Kinetic Labs now stocks KS3 Gaterons.
https://kineticlabs.store/switches/gateron/gat-yellows

If you like smooth switches, these are for you. 63.5g is a little on the light side for me but they still feel real good.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

mewse posted:

I just tried putting a gateron yellow stem in an outemu brown housing and it seems to work. I've tried putting outemu tactile stems into gateron housings before and it didn't seem to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpsUO3k8FP0

That's really helpful, thank you! I should have the other keyboard in a day or two so looks like my frankenboard maybe a reality.

mewse
May 2, 2006

grunthaas posted:

That's really helpful, thank you! I should have the other keyboard in a day or two so looks like my frankenboard maybe a reality.

The actuation point might be higher or lower than normal because from what I remember with an outemu tactile stem in a gateron housing, it felt like there was a double tactile bump because the position of the leaf mismatched the tactile bump on the stem, and it was also picking up the stem's bottom skirt at the initial press. And this is all assuming that gateron is closest to cherry housings because they've run four side clips since the beginning while outemu and kailh had 2 big side clips until recently (outemus recent high end switches like the gazzew boba u4 have 4 side clips like cherry+gateron)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

huhu posted:

QMK had become the defacto standard in MK land.

Lots of people are familiar with it and are more willing to work with the toolkits available than write their own firmware from scratch.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Genthil posted:

Thanks, I'll look up some reviews and videos on the GMMK and Tecware Phantom before deciding. The other ones mentioned are way out of my price range.

Well it looks like I'm going with the GMMK by default because I got so indecisive that the Tecware Phantom 104 became sold out in Canada. :v: At least it's modular.

My last question for the thread is what are some choices for desk pads/extended mouse pads or whatever you call them, the ones that you can put both your keyboard and mouse on?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Genthil posted:

Well it looks like I'm going with the GMMK by default because I got so indecisive that the Tecware Phantom 104 became sold out in Canada. :v: At least it's modular.

My last question for the thread is what are some choices for desk pads/extended mouse pads or whatever you call them, the ones that you can put both your keyboard and mouse on?

The larger ones are typically called desk mats or desk pads. A number of shops are running sales on them right now and they're all pretty similar in build quality unless you want something fancy made out of leather. A few popular places for them:

Canada shop: https://www.deskhero.ca/collections/deskmats

US: https://dixiemech.store/collections/deskmats

https://thekey.company/collections/artist-x-tkc-deskmat-collaboration

mewse
May 2, 2006

Genthil posted:

You can get the corsair XL mousepad which is a desk mat practically anywhere (even here in Canada)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Playmats for card games are another alternative though they may not give enough mouse space with large keyboards on there too.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks again for the recommendations. I went with that extended Corsair mousepad since Amazon had a good discount along with free shipping.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
What is a good recommendation for a wireless mechanical keyboard with the 10 keys?

My wife wants a wireless keyboard with a "clicky feel". She likes the clicky keys on the keyboards at Best Buy. I don't really know enough about mechanical keyboards. She doesn't need any gamer BS but would like some back lighting.

This is what I've found that doesn't look terrible.
https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-V...06760180&sr=8-4

Thoughts?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I bought a HyperX keycap set, and put it on my Logitech keyboard not knowning anything about different size keycaps for CTRL, Caps, and Spacebar. Is there anywhere I can get specific size keycaps?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

South posted:

What is a good recommendation for a wireless mechanical keyboard with the 10 keys?

My wife wants a wireless keyboard with a "clicky feel". She likes the clicky keys on the keyboards at Best Buy. I don't really know enough about mechanical keyboards. She doesn't need any gamer BS but would like some back lighting.

This is what I've found that doesn't look terrible.
https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-V...06760180&sr=8-4

Thoughts?

Keychron K4

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MT3 Dasher preorder on Drop.

DASHER20 discount code for 20% off (valid until tomorrow)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

LochNessMonster posted:

Oh nice, finally a new doubleshot ABS MT3 set that I like the look of. Since I was in the first round of MT3 Susuwatari orders, I had a coupon for one free new doubleshot ABS MT3 base kit in 2020, and nothing tickled my fancy until now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

Nice.
I'm gonna pass that along to some friends, thanks.

Similarly, MT3 2048 is also live. I do not know if there is a coupon.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
MT3 2048 is on prerelease pricing, it'll go up eventually.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone know what keyboard this is? Found the picture in aliexpress reviews of domikey pumper SA

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What do people in this thread think of wireless Keychron and Gateron switches? I only have experience w/ wired Cherry MX Browns and Blues

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I love my Keychron keyboard except that Gateron Browns really kinda suck. They have even less bump than Cherry Browns. The Gateron Blues, OTOH, I've heard are much closer in quality to Cherry Blues.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

anothergod posted:

What do people in this thread think of wireless Keychron and Gateron switches? I only have experience w/ wired Cherry MX Browns and Blues

I daily a K8 and it's pretty okay. It's an inoffensive keeb that does what it claims to do.
I haven't had any issues with mine. My friend got v1 K2 against my advice and it has been a real struggle for him to keep it connected to his MacBook.
Just buy one with hot-swap and keep trying out different switches until you find something you like or break the hot swap sockets (which eventually you will.)

I wouldn't consider it a particularly 'nice' keyboard, but from purely a utilitarian perspective, it does the job.

gently caress THOSE KEYCAPS THOUGH. You need to yeet that poo poo the minute you unbox it and just have literally anything else ready to go. I did not know that it was possible to make such lovely keycaps.

Longshot, but did anyone else get in on the round two of bisoromi Kei? https://monokei.co/products/kei-r2
I lost out on Dalco959 so I sucked it up and snagged a Titan Gray winkey with brass bottom and an extra aluminum half plate and pcb.
I couldn't quite stomach getting a Kaban bag and losing out on that beautiful box, nor did I want to pay $60 to ship the $90 wrist rest separately just so I could get a beautiful box.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wouldn't consider it a particularly 'nice' keyboard, but from purely a utilitarian perspective, it does the job.

gently caress THOSE KEYCAPS THOUGH. You need to yeet that poo poo the minute you unbox it and just have literally anything else ready to go. I did not know that it was possible to make such lovely keycaps.

see, I actually think the Keychron is fantastic from a featureset perspective. the only thing it's missing is QMK, which doesn't really matter with a K2/K4/K8 where you don't need to do any layout adjustments (I would have liked it for my K6, but only because Karabiner mysteriously refuses to work on my Mac). It's got Bluetooth, USB-C (with a nice physical switch to swap those), multi-pairing for Bluetooth, etc. does a lot better than a lot of more expensive keyboards on that front.

the keycaps are... fine, I don't know. they're an obvious step down from the mid-tier boards I'd used in the past, like the WASD CODE, but I don't find them that uncomfortable except they're oddly lightweight. I probably should get a new set, I just have yet to see a keycap set that I thought was aesthetically pleasing and wasn't a 6 month backorder or over $100 for some reason.

Magical Bee
Jul 30, 2013

mewse posted:

Anyone know what keyboard this is? Found the picture in aliexpress reviews of domikey pumper SA

I think that's the Dactyl Manuform.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

abraham linksys posted:

see, I actually think the Keychron is fantastic from a featureset perspective. the only thing it's missing is QMK, which doesn't really matter with a K2/K4/K8 where you don't need to do any layout adjustments (I would have liked it for my K6, but only because Karabiner mysteriously refuses to work on my Mac). It's got Bluetooth, USB-C (with a nice physical switch to swap those), multi-pairing for Bluetooth, etc. does a lot better than a lot of more expensive keyboards on that front.

the keycaps are... fine, I don't know. they're an obvious step down from the mid-tier boards I'd used in the past, like the WASD CODE, but I don't find them that uncomfortable except they're oddly lightweight. I probably should get a new set, I just have yet to see a keycap set that I thought was aesthetically pleasing and wasn't a 6 month backorder or over $100 for some reason.

I wouldn't say it has fantastic features, but it's bluetooth and it works. I mean what more do you want from it? I agree that the TKL doesn't need QMK, but also I'm kinda weary on Bluetooth+QMK implementations anyway. I much prefer ZMK and I'll explain why in a moment...
Lack of programmability really only affects the keyboard's potential to do more with macros and layers and such in this case. Since WYSIWYG and it's pretty much got all the keys you need.
I do find the RGB experience to be a bit limited, and lackluster in performance. But who really gives a poo poo about RGB anyway?
Battery life on the keyboard is pretty good though.
Bumpons on the base are adequate and I appreciate having them on the flip out feet as well.

As far as type feel and sound; it's not good. I mean it's fine when you compare it to other things in the ~$100 range of keyboards, but it's not a NICE keyboard that can be made to have a good sound or truly pleasurable typing experience. It's not luxurious, it's just a rectangle interface for doing computer poo poo and I would not even consider it in any other regard.

Now, back to why Bluetooth QMK is bad: 1) QMK isn't exactly bluetooth friendly... I mean there is a fork of QMK that can make bluetooth work but it does so by 2) violating the license agreement of the bluetooth implementation.
Someone in the 40's discord actually put it much more eloquently than I could so I'm just gonna copypasta:

quote:

petejohanson | ZMK chatbot09/05/2020
Summary of licensing issues with QMK + Nordic (IANAL, based on read of licenses and 14+ years OSS involvement):

Given:
* The GPL (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html) license requires (Section 6) that when you release a non-source form (e.g. firmware) of a work under the GPL, that you also release the "Corresponding Source" required to recreate the non-source form. In a nutshell, ALL the source required to build the software.
* Section 10 of the GPL, states that "You may not impose any further restrictions on the exercise of the rights granted or affirmed under this License."
* The Nordic 5-clause license (BSD + 2 additional clauses: https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/cfs-...e_5F00_text.txt) - adds two "further restrictions" ("This software, with or without modification, must only be used with a Nordic Semiconductor ASA integrated circuit." and "Any software provided in binary form under this license must not be reverse engineered, decompiled, modified and/or disassembled.")
* The "Nordic SDK" and "Nordic SoftDevice" are both licensed under the Nordic 5-Clause license (buried in a zip, but verified just now)

Effect:
* It is not possible to satisfy the requirements of both licenses simultaneously. The GPL requires you adhere to it when you make modifications, and as such, you can not release a binary firmware that incorporates the Nordic SDK or the Nordic SoftDevice.
* The QMK team (rightly, IMHO) has assessed this and determined it is not possible for them to release QMK versions that depend on the Nordic SDK or Nordic SoftDevice components.

Further note, after digging into the specific of ZMK's user of Zephyr: Zephyr does not depend on Nordic SDK nor Nordic SoftDevice. It only depends on the low level nrfx library, which is straight 3-clause BSD. Zephyr can happily incorporate that, and still be Apache 2.0 licensed. MIT code can incorporate Apache 2.0 code, as long as the requirements of the Apache license in terms of noting the use of the code is satisfied (I need to add that explicitly in ZMK)
@squidfrenzy Having been around OSS for quite a few years... and having been deposed during a disupute between founders + board of directors after an "unauthorized" open source release of company code.... I have learned to be very careful and read up.

Also, ZMK is specifically a wireless-first implementation and is very actively being developed to provide an excellent wireless experience. https://zmkfirmware.dev/blog

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

anothergod posted:

Agreed with the other poster about the switches. Gateron Browns are not all that great. There's very little tactility and the switch body is pretty cheap and flimsy. I've almost broken a few of them trying to remove them from the board, but had no issues at all with other switches on the same board. There are a lot of other tactile switches I'd recommend instead.

Edit, If there is one redeeming quality, it's that using them has made me more comfortable with linear switches. Before using Gateron Browns I absolutely hated linear switches, but after using some NK Creamies and Banana Splits, I've come around to liking linears a bit. Still prefer good tactile switches though.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 3, 2020

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

While the Keychron chat is still fresh, I wanted to share something useful I found for those of you who have a K6.

I just got a Keychron K6 a couple of weeks ago, and thought that having to hold Fn1 / Fn2 to get tilde and ` were extremely annoying. Instead, I found that someone online has already solved this problem by using AutoHotKey (Win only, don't know of a Mac alternative off the top of my head). The fix was to change the ESC functionality so that it activates if the key is held down, and allow ` / ~ priority when typing. Check it out on SuperUser.

I'm kinda lukewarm on the K6. I grabbed the hotswap version with Gateron Browns after using a Coolermaster CM Storm Stealth (Cherry Greens) for a few years. I would have rather the RGB light functionality was a on secondary function layer rather than taking up the space where delete should be. Also found out Gateron Browns aren't for me. I swapped them out to debatably worse switches: Arctos tactiles. I look forward to trying out more switches while figuring out what I want to do for a custom build. I know for sure that I want some tactile switches with a pronounced bump.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sharizard posted:

While the Keychron chat is still fresh, I wanted to share something useful I found for those of you who have a K6.

I just got a Keychron K6 a couple of weeks ago, and thought that having to hold Fn1 / Fn2 to get tilde and ` were extremely annoying. Instead, I found that someone online has already solved this problem by using AutoHotKey (Win only, don't know of a Mac alternative off the top of my head). The fix was to change the ESC functionality so that it activates if the key is held down, and allow ` / ~ priority when typing. Check it out on SuperUser.

I'm kinda lukewarm on the K6. I grabbed the hotswap version with Gateron Browns after using a Coolermaster CM Storm Stealth (Cherry Greens) for a few years. I would have rather the RGB light functionality was a on secondary function layer rather than taking up the space where delete should be. Also found out Gateron Browns aren't for me. I swapped them out to debatably worse switches: Arctos tactiles. I look forward to trying out more switches while figuring out what I want to do for a custom build. I know for sure that I want some tactile switches with a pronounced bump.

:tviv: LOOK AT THAT STEM! That bump is VERY pronounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I bought a Keychron k8 2 months ago and it was great, but last week a column of keys just up and died (F3/3/e/d/x). I got a hot swappable version so I tried moving some switches around from known good keys, and the good keys stayed good and the bad keys stayed bad.

So, bad keeb, contact support, get it replaced right?

I've spent a week going back and forth with one email per day because time difference with Hong Kong, where they have asked for video of my keyboard not working, and a series of increasingly perplexing photo requests, before last night, getting an offer of them sending me a new PCB to disassemble and repair my two month old keyboard myself.

When I emailed back to say that isn't an acceptable solution and they should replace the whole thing, I instead got an email with instructions for how to disassemble my keyboard and vague insinuation that I should do so and check something, with no indication of why I ought to do that or what I am looking for once it's disassembled.

tl;dr: Keychrons customer service is really bad, and I am another day or so of this back and forth before just charging this paperweight back through my CC company.

On a related note, does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to the Keychron boards? The ability to switch between wired and Bluetooth on the fly is a huge plus for me, as is good Mac media key support.