Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hazo posted:

Maleficent wasn't a remake.

No one's mentioned Beauty and the Beast in these ratings, and I wonder if that's because it's both completely forgettable AND a work of art because it's almost literally the original movie redone shot-for-shot in live action.

Nobody's mentioned Cinderella either, and that was actually pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What little I've seen of Cinderella, passing in and out of rooms where other people were watching it on my way elsewhere, it seemed perfectly serviceable. It was "a movie". I guess it also helps a bit when you give Prince Charming some actual lines and a personality, cast Richard Madden to play him and then pair him up with Nonso Anozie so every second they're on screen together they just crackle with charisma and grab your attention.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That's more of a hutt on spider legs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not even mad at the palps poo poo any more because it’s so funny. And I got another good Ian McDermid performance out of it lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Palp fucks, Supreme Chancellor of Booty

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Butterfly Valley posted:

No, you invented a meaning that wasn't there and they corrected you that that wasn't a reasonable inference from their post

Came across to me initially as if to say The Mandalorian wouldn't have as good or impressive visuals or direction if it were an animated show instead of live-action. That's it, that's was I felt was implied.

Then the argument was clarified that you just can't swap mediums and expect the same quality. I half-agree, because that's really more dependent on the creatives behind the project, not the medium itself.

I do think there's a valid argument on whether The Mandalorian would be just as popular if it were an animated show though. Because some people have their own hangups about the media they ingest. Which is fine, not gonna tell someone otherwise. And I never said animation and live-action are the same lmao.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s gonna dew it all night long.

Also

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Its Rinaldo posted:

Palp fucks, Supreme Chancellor of Booty

I remember there was like a whole week and a half where SyFyWyFy was doing nothing but talking about Palpatine's dick. It was both awesome and gross.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Aladdin remake with Will Smith was amazing and I’m fully prepared to die on this hill.

:shepface:

They cast an actual arab in the lead which is p. great

Also many of the other actors are of arab / persian descent. That's lowkey rather progressive
for that sort of flick.

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 3, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s never gross

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Totally agreed. Whitney Houston loving owns and Brandy was perfect.

:colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

Can none of you read? Like for real, I literally have repeatedly said that same thing. I'm saying you cannot just change a live action thing to a cartoon or a cartoon to live action and expect the same quality. You have to approach different mediums differently because they are different mediums. Directorial techniques, shot composition, whatever will not always translate between medium one to one.

Like very basic example was in that Filoni interview where they had to take care in crafting the Ahsoka costume so that Dawson was not overshadowed by the prosthetics.

The original post specifically said if you changed Mandalorian to be a TCW style cartoon and changed nothing else.

Holy poo poo you really can't read or I'm having a stroke and not getting the point across that I think I am. I have no loving clue at this point.

I can read just fine I think :(

I just don't agree that if you were adapt Mandalorian verbatim into an animated show that it wouldnt be as good/appealing/whatever. It'd probably be just as good (maybe better!). That's all I'm saying. Sheesh.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I honestly didn’t like it at all. I appreciated them doing their own thing (and casting Cate Blanchett as the evil step-mother and Helena Bonham Carter as the fairy godmother, when, on paper, I would have assumed they’d do the opposite), but I just found it to be a dull adaptation. Just a big bad of nothing that felt like it was racing to the finish line.

Just my opinion.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Totally agreed. Whitney Houston loving owns and Brandy was perfect.

:colbert:

Oh, now that was fun.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

teagone posted:

Came across to me initially as if to say The Mandalorian wouldn't have as good or impressive visuals or direction if it were an animated show instead of live-action. That's it, that's was I felt was implied.

This is not my argument but I got genuinely frustrated for the poster who clearly restated his point about 3 times while you still wilfully misinterpreted it to argue against the fictional one in your head. Go back and read the two posts clearly.

quote:

If the Mandalorian has been made as a cartoon like TCW/Rebels with absolutely nothing else changed about it I wonder how many people would think it sucks.

quote:

I mean that actually does matter, because part of what makes this show so enjoyable and impressive is the visual design and direction. That stuff would be different if this was a cartoon.

At no point did he say animations are incapable of being incredible works of art with excellent visual design and direction and everything else. But they are created to work to the strengths of the medium, just as The Mandalorian was built around the strengths of live action. You cannot directly transpose one into the other and expect it to have anything like the same effect and this point is so bloody obvious it annoys me that I'm having to spell it out so slowly

Edit:

teagone posted:

I just don't agree that if you were adapt Mandalorian verbatim into an animated show that it wouldnt be as good/appealing/whatever. It'd probably be just as good (maybe better!). That's all I'm saying. Sheesh.

OK nevermind you're a lost cause

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herostratus posted:

They cast an actual arab in the lead which is p. great

Also many of the other actors are of arab / persian descent. That's lowkey rather progressive
for that sort of flick.

Yeah, but then they went hosed it all up by seriously considering make a spin-off Disney+ series centered around the one white dude in the film who has like 3 lines and was meant to be the butt of a joke until everyone got mad at them for it and shelved it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I honestly forgot there was a live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast. And then I went to look up how much money it took in at the box office just now and it made over a billion dollars lmao.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ignoring the part where he calls A Fistful of Dollars "The Man with No Name", this video provides a pretty good summary of how Mando takes inspiration from weekly adventure shows like Samurai Jack and old westerns and samurai flicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXf1xV6sPbk

He's not wrong about the stylistic inspiration parts, but "it's a show about nothing" is a real unimaginative take. Sure, it's episodic, but it has themes. It's not immune to interpretation or incoherent in its messaging.

Mostly, I think Mandalorian is great as a repudiation of the "end of history"-ness of Return of the Jedi. At the end of that movie, the Empire's dead and the heroes won. Everything was bad but now everything is good; the galaxy is fixed, so let's all Yub Nub till dawn. This show takes more seriously the idea that the Empire was a complex system. Its cruelty was not isolated to two men at the helm, and as its structures collapse, what they leave in their wake is the same chaos and corruption that the Old Republic failed to fix in its own time.

It makes sense to borrow western or samurai movie tropes, because the shared central theme is lawlessness. Or more precisely, it's the need for normal individuals to intervene on behalf of the powerless because nobody and nothing else will. That's a powerful statement in the context of Star Wars, because SW is uniquely obsessed with prophecy, messianic heroes, divine purpose, or good and evil as broad forces in the universe. None of that actually matters to the average person in The Mandalorian; their reality sucks because of way more mundane reasons than Space Magic, like negligence or selfishness or unintended consequence.

It's a timely message for Americans in 2020, I think: the Evil Empire fell, but nothing is fixed and nothing is materially any better because of it. Mando wants to find a safe haven for the Child...but there IS no safe haven. Everyone is living in the same wreckage, and no part of it is much better than any other.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

drat, that's harsh.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, but then they went hosed it all up by seriously considering make a spin-off Disney+ series centered around the one white dude in the film who has like 3 lines and was meant to be the butt of a joke until everyone got mad at them for it and shelved it.

Welp. Nice try Disney.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

drat, that's harsh.

You like TLJ you see....

Lmao.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Xealot posted:

He's not wrong about the stylistic inspiration parts, but "it's a show about nothing" is a real unimaginative take. Sure, it's episodic, but it has themes. It's not immune to interpretation or incoherent in its messaging.

Mostly, I think Mandalorian is great as a repudiation of the "end of history"-ness of Return of the Jedi. At the end of that movie, the Empire's dead and the heroes won. Everything was bad but now everything is good; the galaxy is fixed, so let's all Yub Nub till dawn. This show takes more seriously the idea that the Empire was a complex system. Its cruelty was not isolated to two men at the helm, and as its structures collapse, what they leave in their wake is the same chaos and corruption that the Old Republic failed to fix in its own time.

It makes sense to borrow western or samurai movie tropes, because the shared central theme is lawlessness. Or more precisely, it's the need for normal individuals to intervene on behalf of the powerless because nobody and nothing else will. That's a powerful statement in the context of Star Wars, because SW is uniquely obsessed with prophecy, messianic heroes, divine purpose, or good and evil as broad forces in the universe. None of that actually matters to the average person in The Mandalorian; their reality sucks because of way more mundane reasons than Space Magic, like negligence or selfishness or unintended consequence.

It's a timely message for Americans in 2020, I think: the Evil Empire fell, but nothing is fixed and nothing is materially any better because of it. Mando wants to find a safe haven for the Child...but there IS no safe haven. Everyone is living in the same wreckage, and no part of it is much better than any other.

So it is a deconstruction, is what you're saying

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

teagone posted:

I honestly forgot there was a live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast. And then I went to look up how much money it took in at the box office just now and it made over a billion dollars lmao.

same reason those youtube channels where kids play with firetruck toys and poo poo make a bajillion bucks. hosed up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
also rabid disney freaks. can never count those out reckon...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

You like TLJ you see....

Lmao.

Lmao.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

"I think a cartoon werner herzog would be perfectly capable of emulating his live action performance" - an idiot, probably

Similar to James Spader, 99% of Werner Herzog's acting comes from his voice, so actually, yeah.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

teagone posted:

My girlfriend at the time took me to see it because she was obsessed with the animated version.
We spent most of the film making out. 10/10 would watch again.
(I barey remember what it was about)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is not my argument but I got genuinely frustrated for the poster who clearly restated his point about 3 times while you still wilfully misinterpreted it to argue against the fictional one in your head. Go back and read the two posts clearly.

At no point did he say animations are incapable of being incredible works of art with excellent visual design and direction and everything else. But they are created to work to the strengths of the medium, just as The Mandalorian was built around the strengths of live action. You cannot directly transpose one into the other and expect it to have anything like the same effect and this point is so bloody obvious it annoys me that I'm having to spell it out so slowly

Edit:

Thank you for comprehending I thought I was going crazy.

I'm a big fan of TLJ too so at least we can agree on that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smythe posted:

also rabid disney freaks. can never count those out reckon...

I like the parks well enough. They’re fun but I don’t get the hardcore obsession. Like I saw a video of someone who made a part of Disney in their basement during the pandemic to feel better lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS504U1WjJg

Warning, annoying host

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Herostratus posted:

My girlfriend at the time took me to see it because she was obsessed with the animated version.
We spent most of the film making out. 10/10 would watch again.
(I barey remember what it was about)

Peasant girl wants to gently caress a loup-garou

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm a big fan of TLJ too so at least we can agree on that.

:respek:

I got what you were saying, to be clear. I just don't agree that if The Mandalorian remained the same outside of it being animated in Clone Wars/Rebels/whatever style, that it wouldn't be as good/the same/etc. I have a clear bias though so :haw:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It wouldn’t have been as prolific that’s for sure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It wouldn’t have been as prolific that’s for sure.

I agree with this. I would love it all the same though. Animated baby Grogu would be cute as hell I bet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Mandolorian is the only water cooler discussion TV show on right now. It would not be getting anywhere near the buzz and social media impact had it been a cartoon. But yes it would’ve worked fine as a cartoon and most of us here would’ve enjoyed it. But Disney wants subscribers for their streaming platform and that means roping in viewers who just aren’t going to watch cartoon Star Wars no matter the quality.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

The Mandolorian is the only water cooler discussion TV show on right now. It would not be getting anywhere near the buzz and social media impact had it been a cartoon. But yes it would’ve worked fine as a cartoon and most of us here would’ve enjoyed it. But Disney wants subscribers for their streaming platform and that means roping in viewers who just aren’t going to watch cartoon Star Wars no matter the quality.

This is the definitive post on the matter by the only qualified poster imo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I have spoken.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Everyone posted:

Similar to James Spader, 99% of Werner Herzog's acting comes from his voice, so actually, yeah.

Animated Herzog would own pretty hard, I agree. His character all stylized like Dooku or Palatine from CW? With that voice? :allears:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m still holding out hope his character survived season one and is being kept secret...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

I like the parks well enough. They’re fun but I don’t get the hardcore obsession. Like I saw a video of someone who made a part of Disney in their basement during the pandemic to feel better lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS504U1WjJg

Warning, annoying host

pretty amazing. apparently hes been working on it for 12 years, including planning etc. not my cup of tea but some incredible attention to detail and craftsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Ganking Snoke as the capstone to act two of The Last Jedi was loving brilliant because it gave Kylo Ren the springboard to assume his destined place as the real big bad of the Sequel Trilogy, which he would have rocked as. But then Reddit got mad so between 8 and 9 he slammed face first into a giant glass ceiling that had PALPATINE WUZ HEAR spray painted on it like he was Wile E. Coyote or something and fell so hard back to the start of his character arc he actually loving whistled on the way down.

"Apprentice murders Master and gains the right to wear the Sith #1 shirt at the company retreat" is the only part of the Sith career path that hasn't been on screen, so it would have been pretty awesome to have that play out.

Likewise, I would have been interested in seeing Grandpalpatine's offer being accepted by Rey for reasons I haven't exactly figured out yet. Maybe because the other Sith job offers pretty much went like "no, I'll fall down this hole instead" Luke and "....ok, I guess I'll be angry now :geno:" with Anakin. Rey being all "Yes. I am completely onboard with this. Do you guys provide the black cape or do I have to bring my own?" would have been different.