Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

For anyone interested, submissions for the 2020 Delta Green Shotgun Scenario contest are now open! For more details see the contest document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Owt_xMIjJHRAeUGwYE-j1rZUGK6CEA8xiZvO4Mw2VwA/edit

Looking forward to seeing what this hell-year has given you as horrifying scenario fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If you only post here: go to TG and grab a gang tag. It’s nice to leave the User Control Panel

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Last two weeks finally found time to run the trapped-in-a-hospital-under-a-shroud-of-undeath campaign. Been good so far, though 1) I'm out of practice DMing - It's been like six months 2) the switchup mechanic took a little time for my friends to get up to speed on.

Current PC death tally -
French chef - 0 - None, played safe.
Investigative Journalist - I - Kicked to death by a steer
Roboticized Bartender - II - Explosive Reincarnation, volunteered for vivisection
IRA hitman - II - Shot to death (same cop, same interaction)

So far the feedback has been good. I'm also glad that they haven't been relying too much on my PC, who I had killed to get them into the hospital.

Questions for the thread
Dealing with a snotty player:
The IRA hitman has been kind of abusing the consequence free violence, which could be fine, but in a boring uncreative way, which is not. Twice he engaged a cop (who tbf roughly interrogated him in the first day) in combat. First time whatevs, hell yea, death to the pigs. Second time was during an all-hands exposition dump with the party and major NPCs. I followed up on an idea I'd been toying with and did away with most of the combat rolls and HP, as this was a point-blank-gunfight a hit was a kill or incapacitation. He was mad that he called a knee shot on the cop, who promptly domed him so I could get two peaceful rounds before he revived. He's right that a consciousness roll might have knocked the cop out, but also, the cop would now be unconscious, uninterrogateable and I'm not sure what he would have proceeded to do with a group of terrified, peaceful, civilian NPCs who (he doesn't know) do not have any useful information for him at this point in the module. Actually I do know, he woke up, randomly shot the CEO before the cop put him down a second time. I'm pretty confident I'm in the right here. I indulged him, but fast forwarded the group through his tantrum and saved everyone a My Lai scenario that - especially played straight according to the rulebook combat - would have taken the rest of the night and canonically alienated the party from almost every NPC in the game.

Balancing player-tailored-content with keeping-the-group-as-a-whole-engaged
Obviously in Cthulhu some jobs (chef, journalist) aren't directly applicable to a stock module except for like maybe one roll, so I like to cook up something that their skillset, or their PC's personality is uniquely applicable to. But its also hard to write specialized content that can't be bruteforced by the whole party just rolling 'Spot Hidden' or gangstomping some poor NPC, thus me trying to split them off.

The issue that's been coming up is I get nervous leaving other people out of the action, and either rush the PCs with current focus through or shift focus too early. I feel like practice will help but any advice on this to foreshorten my getting my sealegs?

I will say, the IRA guy has helped me out a little bit on that front since the cop now hates him, as does administrator of the hospital and he's terrorized all the important doctors and nurses. Like, he literally half convinced the party that the medical staff must know SOMETHING cause why wouldn't they all scatter and run when the gunfire started? Good question! Maybe I should have just had them run out and made the party wait a day to get their leads!
So basically the only character who won't stonewall any PCs he might tag along with would be the head of janitorial. I have some sneaky/combat related stuff in the next week, he can Sam Fisher his way around and break necks to his hearts content, so I'm not like, freezing him out as punishment.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 14, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What I would tend to do once you know your characters -- and I think this is an advantage that convention modules and home brew have, that published adventures do not -- is write encounters or situations that tend to play to their skills, and also be willing to do a certain amount of scene-switching when people are split up.

So for this chef guy I would think about places where his social milieu, skills or other advantages would come into play. Presumably they speak French, so that opens up an entire sub-community or even tomes that maybe only the chef guy can read. Chefs tend to have heavy working-class contacts and could well have positive secondhand reputations a la Tony Bourdain. And, of course, you get the exciting possibility that the chef is the guy who can, by taste and forensic deduction of the muscle fibers alone, realize that this terrine isn't in fact juvenile pork: it's human.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Have the party made contact with the custodial and catering staff of the hospital? Your chef would be the obvious point of contact with them.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Afriscipio posted:

Have the party made contact with the custodial and catering staff of the hospital? Your chef would be the obvious point of contact with them.

This was exactly the plan. There was pre-existing labor disputes between Administration and Staff, and now this is stretching everyone to the breaking point as far as anger and suspicion. Nothing builds camraderie among working class people like talking shop with someone who Gets It.

I've also decided that the escape hatch I'm giving Lothar the NPC-Slayer is, the evil head doctor is going to reach out to 'that loving mad-dog from the all hands fiasco' and give him a DM-adjacent rundown about how 'He's got a lot of enemies, but he's going to need some friends in here and I'll need an errand boy'. The first task is literally going to be 'fetch me a coffee' since Facilities will have declared rationing of electricity and water, and doctors are universal caffeine addicts. Perfect opportunity to burn precious ammo shooting some miscellaneous minimum wage rear end in a top hat over the price of a cup of joe. So he gets to roll his boom boom dice on people who've done literally nothing to deserve it, and that will serve as a conduit for the party to figure out who the big-swinging-dicks in this module really are, because as of the end of Day 2, as far as anyone knows (any PCs, this is CoC, obviously someone or ones is a Secret Cultist) they're still just in a hospital with a bunch of panicky civilians.

I get the sense that he's likely to balk at being the bad guy's Renfield, even as a double agent, and I'm just gonna break character if that happens and just be like 'look dude, if we're being at all realistic here, no one would want to work with you, OR any of the party members if you're with them, so this is your content and that's all I've got.'

E: Nessus, the one thing I was asking about, is, is there any advice you can give about splitting the party to keep the inactive members engaged in the actions of the group that is active? Obviously you want to strike a balance between leaving the others twiddling their thumbs and making the one player feel rushed, but are there any non-obvious things to try?

And sometimes I want to ONLY give a character information? Either because I think that Player/PC is likely to misinterpret it, want to hide it from the group, or the scenario doesn't necessarily allow for them to escape it and fill the group in later.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 20, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Also, for a reward for escaping, besides a boost to everyone's medical skill which is always handy and no one has, I was going to have the PC's either get the cultist's journal or like, a scrap of his skin or something that has a spell on it. I was thinking a lower grade version of the ritual the cultist was trying.

Something along the lines of healing/restoration of maiming/crippling effects, granted via a human sacrifice. Requires the laying on of hands - it can be done on a hostile, conscious NPC but it requires finishing them with an unarmed brawl roll. Can be used to heal someone else if they have hands on the caster at the time.
Also permanent POW hit and a big SAN roll for everyone involved in the conga line, since again, the full version of this ritual spaghettified the cultists' mind across dimensions and ripped a chunk of reality into a bubble universe.

1. Too OP? 2. Anything similar already exist in the published literature?

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Wrapped up, people seemed to like it.

PC death tally -
Investigative Journalist - I - Fell from 5th floor of building climbing the outside of the hospital
Roboticized Bartender - I - Air-filled syringe induced embolism

IRA guy basically led the action for the whole group, bratty, but fortunately I'd mapped out enough contingencies that I could let him run rampant without sidelining people. Gave him the blockade-running coffee fetchquest as a chance for him to be stealthy/violent whatever. He chose to go directly to the head of facilities and demand it, on behalf of the doctors who are hated by the downstairs guys. Though he knew all this, it was still his move. Eventually I'm like 'roll fast talk' he gets a hard success and gets a bag of grounds thrown at him to get him out of there. Proudly arrives back at the doctor's lounge with a bag of dry grounds, demanding a reward, refusing to acknowledge the common useage of 'get me a coffee' does not include 'bring me coffee grounds'. He comes up with the bright idea to boil a water ration using bunsen burners in the lab area, but like, orders the doctor to do it for himself.

Anyway, this spirals and he caps the three doctors and in the chaos the other players decide to, you know, pursue the game. The journalist, who got their hands turned into tentacles by a demonic posession, decides to climb up the outside of the hospital to break into medical records, gets a lead, but takes a header off the wall on the way back down. Meanwhile the bartender checked out some noises he heard while being vivisected and discovered the sacrifice, and the nun and cleaning lady I had serially disappear as opportunities to get people telling them to CHECK OUT THE DOCTORS locked in a supply closet.

Between that session and the next, since the chef had been helping the staff portion out the remaining food for rationing and got into their good graces, and is offered to make a move on the patient, and the journalist uses the info she learned to get one of the doctors to agree to betray the others and make the same move.

Next session the IRA guy goes straight for the patient, to kill him. Since he's out of bullets, and I tell him no one is going to just allow the one person everyone hates to walk up and pull the plug on the one remaining patient in a hospital, who is becoming a focal point of, like, cargo cult worship he goes outside and blows up an ambulance as a distraction. Meanwhile the journalist tells the bartender and chef as an aside and they rush to the ICU while she gets the doctor. Basically the whole group spontaneously decided to ditch the trigger happy guy, very proud moment as a GM. The ensuing brawl was a lot of fun, bartender buried a fire ax in one of the doctors before one put an air bubble in his carotid with a syringe. The doctors had rigged the drunken puppet-CEO with a second pair of doc-ock arms salvaged from the Bartender's robot corpse (long story) and he tore the barricaded ICU door open with an extreme strength success, but IRA guy took him down as he arrived on the ICU floor. The janitor, cop, and remaining doctor got tangled up in a confused 3-stooges style clutch at the stairwell and the PCs who could escaped via the patient before he died.

The Limbo bit after was ok. IRA guy, dead bartender and the PC I'd been running who died to jumpstart the module were floating. Since the party was split and half were fully done with the module, they were kinda bored but it was always the backstop in case someone killed the patient early, and the last one through was always going to be overwhelmed by the hospital and realistically would never get through. Probably a better way to handle it, but whatever, it covered the contingency of people not escaping. Rolling who got sharked on a 300-sided die meant that the PCs never got close to attacked, but that probably would have been the end of them, and I wasn't looking to kill a PC on this bottle-ep in a larger campaign unless a choice or the dice dictated it. Bartender was happy his spirit ended up back in a robot body, as he wasn't sure if his organic parts resurrecting in the pocket universe was meant to be permanent. Everyone got a good laugh when my PC demanded to stay behind and hold open a portal to help NPC civilians escape and the bartender bodily shoved him through, landing his spirit... directly in his dead body in the morgue. I'd planned a tragic and heroic farewell, and he got the biggest wet fart death in a long time.

All in all, not bad for a homebrew. People weren't furious with me after at any rate. One thing I really liked was by making death a lot cheaper, combat went a lot quicker. You hit that guy with a fire ax? He's loving down. Roll success shooting a guy? He's dropped, next? It allowed the one player to play as violent as he wanted without devoting 90% of the play time to his character. Though whether I greased the skids so much he played that way more than he would have? Who knows what's cause and whats effect.

Final thought, while explaining the background bits the PCs missed, I explained the patient spaghettified his spirit across multiple dimensions, and then when he snapped, he broke reality like a piece of spaghetti, which always snaps off a small fragment, and it had to be called to my attention I'd used two separate spaghetti analogies to explain this module without realizing it.

https://news.mit.edu/2018/mit-mathematicians-solve-age-old-spaghetti-mystery-0813

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 1, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PipHelix posted:

E: Nessus, the one thing I was asking about, is, is there any advice you can give about splitting the party to keep the inactive members engaged in the actions of the group that is active? Obviously you want to strike a balance between leaving the others twiddling their thumbs and making the one player feel rushed, but are there any non-obvious things to try?

And sometimes I want to ONLY give a character information? Either because I think that Player/PC is likely to misinterpret it, want to hide it from the group, or the scenario doesn't necessarily allow for them to escape it and fill the group in later.
Sorry for the delay! In my view the real thing to do is either make it explicitly clear that this is going to be temporary - this is good for an occasional situation - or make it so that everyone is doing something and then you shift focus at particular "beats." For instance Mr. Gunner is talking to someone and you do that for a moment, he makes a Fast-talk check, his contact's eyes light up and he goes to get out the good stuff --

Then you go over to Mr. Driver who is talking to the auto mechanic about how he's heard about this new guy called Cthulhu and isn't he just the bee's knees. The mechanic reaches for his hidden katana...

Etc.

This is probably less of a thing when you're working in PBP. You can also encourage people to buddy up - having to do five one on ones vs. a two and a three on parallel tracks is very different energy.

As for giving individuals specific information, you should absolutely do this. If you are in a physical or semi-physical (Discord, etc.) environment you can just take them aside into a chat room or give them a note/personal DM. If you want to be a clever beaver you can do this occasionally for everyone at random in order to make it seem less obvious, but this is the year 2020 and people will in my experience generally not be assholes about this stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PipHelix posted:

Also, for a reward for escaping, besides a boost to everyone's medical skill which is always handy and no one has, I was going to have the PC's either get the cultist's journal or like, a scrap of his skin or something that has a spell on it. I was thinking a lower grade version of the ritual the cultist was trying.

Something along the lines of healing/restoration of maiming/crippling effects, granted via a human sacrifice. Requires the laying on of hands - it can be done on a hostile, conscious NPC but it requires finishing them with an unarmed brawl roll. Can be used to heal someone else if they have hands on the caster at the time.
Also permanent POW hit and a big SAN roll for everyone involved in the conga line, since again, the full version of this ritual spaghettified the cultists' mind across dimensions and ripped a chunk of reality into a bubble universe.

1. Too OP? 2. Anything similar already exist in the published literature?
I believe there is some kind of flesh-sharing spell in the 6th ed book that approximately maps to what you want here, letting people transfer around SIZ and HP one to another. You could probably cast this as "the original thing he was trying to innovate on."

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Nessus posted:

As for giving individuals specific information, you should absolutely do this. If you are in a physical or semi-physical (Discord, etc.) environment you can just take them aside into a chat room or give them a note/personal DM. If you want to be a clever beaver you can do this occasionally for everyone at random in order to make it seem less obvious, but this is the year 2020 and people will in my experience generally not be assholes about this stuff.

Yea, to kick it off, each player was alone, and after their bit, were allowed to spectate silently, so they start confused and gain more info as they watch each other player go and put some pieces together. I also ordered them so that the later players got the most important clues so that everyone was on the same page. That worked well, where I hosed up was ending it without re-uniting people, so next game they were all still split apart the hospital and wanted to do independent investigations.

In between each game I'd pick a player, usually someone who didn't get much to do, and have an NPC reach out to them with some secret info, so they'd have a leg up on everyone and threads to chase down/vital info to share in the next one. That works pretty good, I've found. Two of four players had agreed to separate plans to escape, cutting the other one out, so when the journalist ran to get a doctor and head to the ICU as soon as the IRA guy announced he was just going to murder the ICU patient, the chef immediately clocked what was going on, and without telling anyone beelined for it. The bartender was read in privately on a DM I wasn't part of so seeing the whole team just assemble (and freeze out the guy who was trying my patience the most) with no prompting was pretty cool. I'm not sure he is even aware the group was trying to ditch him as things precipitated so fast and he didn't end up in Limbo alone.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Does anyone have any info on the kinds of scenarios that have been written for the Japanese version of Call of Cthulhu? I’ve always thought it was interesting that it’s the most popular RPG in Japan, but most of the books and zines I’ve seen are replays (basically a published actual play.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

Does anyone have any info on the kinds of scenarios that have been written for the Japanese version of Call of Cthulhu? I’ve always thought it was interesting that it’s the most popular RPG in Japan, but most of the books and zines I’ve seen are replays (basically a published actual play.)
Best I have found is the page on Japanese wikipedia, which has a product list which Google Chrome's machine translation seems to largely make sense of.

If I'm interpreting the machine translated text right (and the machine translation isn't borked) it looks like CoC managed to get a good amount of momentum behind it because it was one of the first games released in Japan with a system suited to playing in modern-day settings, rather than fantasy, so it rapidly became the go-to system for anyone wanting to do any kind of present-time scenario.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Warthur posted:

Best I have found is the page on Japanese wikipedia, which has a product list which Google Chrome's machine translation seems to largely make sense of.

If I'm interpreting the machine translated text right (and the machine translation isn't borked) it looks like CoC managed to get a good amount of momentum behind it because it was one of the first games released in Japan with a system suited to playing in modern-day settings, rather than fantasy, so it rapidly became the go-to system for anyone wanting to do any kind of present-time scenario.

Yeah I’m wondering if there’s like a modern-day Japanese equivalent to Masks or SOYS. English CoC doesn’t really have any non-Delta Green modern campaigns.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Warthur posted:

That sounds pretty cool. There's got to be expats over there nerdy enough to be into tabletop and fluent enough to translate the books. You could probably google till the heat death of the universe before you hit their blog though. Assuming there is one.

And I guess it makes sense. I can see why there was more interest in playing a scenario set in the modern world than Mideval-England-Plus-Dragons and that assumes a lot of familiarity and affinity with the culture and tropes. I'd have a hell of a time getting into a fantasy world that assumes I'm intimately familiar and super interested in inhabiting, like, the Sengoku Period.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PipHelix posted:

That sounds pretty cool. There's got to be expats over there nerdy enough to be into tabletop and fluent enough to translate the books. You could probably google till the heat death of the universe before you hit their blog though. Assuming there is one.

And I guess it makes sense. I can see why there was more interest in playing a scenario set in the modern world than Mideval-England-Plus-Dragons and that assumes a lot of familiarity and affinity with the culture and tropes. I'd have a hell of a time getting into a fantasy world that assumes I'm intimately familiar and super interested in inhabiting, like, the Sengoku Period.
If anime has taught me anything (just to begin this paragraph inauspiciously) it is that they have happily taken on board a lot of D&D-style concepts, albeit perhaps more through the prism of the Dragon Warrior games than AD&D2E or what-not. That is just kind of its own subsidiary genre rather than being taken as a default. It would be genuinely interesting to see some of their adventures, even if I suppose the little cottage market for translating things like Ryuutama would probably not be so easily expanded into "Chaosium's licensed material." If it is Chaosium.

On the other hand all Chaosium would have to do is translate and perhaps somewhat localize these modules...

e:

the google translate posted:

Cthulhu World Tour Nazi Evil Empire Conspiracy
The third stage of the second edition "World Tour". Includes guidance for creating scenarios set in World War II and three actual scenarios. Released from Arclight in February 2012.
I mean you know what you're buying when you buy THAT book.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 3, 2020

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

If anime has taught me anything (just to begin this paragraph inauspiciously) it is that they have happily taken on board a lot of D&D-style concepts, albeit perhaps more through the prism of the Dragon Warrior games than AD&D2E or what-not.

Dragon Warrior is already a Japanese take on the kitchen-sink fantasy of D&D. It's just that, like a lot of Japanese 80s D&D-inspired fantasy, it drawing on a different cultural background for what the European/MENA medieval looks like. It's actually a really interesting case study in how the aesthetics and tropes of D&D evolve in two entirely different cultural environments.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The first Final Fantasy is so D&D it almost hurts. All the way down to random encounters on the overworld map.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeah I’m wondering if there’s like a modern-day Japanese equivalent to Masks or SOYS. English CoC doesn’t really have any non-Delta Green modern campaigns.

Do The Things We Left Behind and Fear's Sharp Little Needles count?
I wish I could find more modern coc stuff that feels like True Detective.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Firstborn posted:

Do The Things We Left Behind and Fear's Sharp Little Needles count?
I wish I could find more modern coc stuff that feels like True Detective.

Oh for English language stuff, totally. I just didn’t know if there are iconic Japanese language modules or if it’s mostly a homebrew culture.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have Chaosium's Secrets of Japan book(well, in storage at my parents place 1000 miles away) and I can't recall any huge campaigns like Masks.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

Campaign modules are something of a rarity even in English-language Call. There's Chaosium's mega-campaigns, but they're pretty distinctive in being large campaigns in an ecosystem almost defined by the one-shot. Even Delta Green isn't so much a campaign as it what's called a "campaign setting": a specific lens, wrapper, or environment you could run multiple scenarios in.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The old Delta Green had a couple campaigns. The original splat had Convergence and New Age which was more or less a direct sequel, each of which had multiple parts that could take a few sessions. The four parts of Future Perfect all dealt with the same threat, though the connective tissue between them is was little thin.

New Delta Green doesn't have any campaigns yet. Impossible Landscapes and God's Teeth are supposed to fill that role when they eventually drop.

Pagan Publishing, the original Delta Green developers, also wrote a few campaigns for CoC. I've got Walker in the Wastes and The Realm of Shadows sitting on my shelf right now. But neither of those were set in the modern day, and don't help us solve our initial dilemma.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Over the 40 or so years, there’s only been, what, six real campaigns?
  • Masks of Nyarlathotep
  • Horror on the Orient Express
  • At the Mountains of Madness
  • Shadows of Yog Sothoth
  • Children of Fear
  • Spawn of Azathoth

And even of those, only one has been freshly written in the past... ten (?) years

There are sourcebooks for one shot scenarios set in certain locales, like the freshly printed Harlem Unbound and Berlin - the Wicked City, and this has basically been Chaosium’s answer to the lack of campaigns proper. Older editions boast books for Australia, Arkham, Japan, New Orleans, Kenya, Los Angeles, Morocco, New York, San Francisco and Dunwich, but without a distinct through line.

Hell, half of the campaigns haven’t even been updated to the new system. (Not that it’s hard to do a conversion, but still...)

For Chaosium to have TWO (2!) of the “Must Play” or “Best of All Time,” published campaigns (Masks and the Great Pendragon Campaign), they don’t seem to prioritize them as a product.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Over the 40 or so years, there’s only been, what, six real campaigns?
  • Masks of Nyarlathotep
  • Horror on the Orient Express
  • At the Mountains of Madness
  • Shadows of Yog Sothoth
  • Children of Fear
  • Spawn of Azathoth

And even of those, only one has been freshly written in the past... ten (?) years

There are sourcebooks for one shot scenarios set in certain locales, like the freshly printed Harlem Unbound and Berlin - the Wicked City, and this has basically been Chaosium’s answer to the lack of campaigns proper. Older editions boast books for Australia, Arkham, Japan, New Orleans, Kenya, Los Angeles, Morocco, New York, San Francisco and Dunwich, but without a distinct through line.

Hell, half of the campaigns haven’t even been updated to the new system. (Not that it’s hard to do a conversion, but still...)

For Chaosium to have TWO (2!) of the “Must Play” or “Best of All Time,” published campaigns (Masks and the Great Pendragon Campaign), they don’t seem to prioritize them as a product.

Would Escape from Innsmouth technically count as a campaign?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Would Escape from Innsmouth technically count as a campaign?

Not on the scale of the others but it's more than a scenario book.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Curious, of those campaigns listed, which are your favorites? Open question. I haven't read any of them, and I'm always looking for inspiration.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 4, 2020

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m planning on running Mountains of Madness next. I’m a huge fan of the Thing, so that informs my choices. (Check my post history for my descent into madness with props).

Masks is probably best played as a Pulp game, and Orient Express has... less flexibility due to the nature of a train journey. I haven’t heard any feedback about the newest 7e campaign (children of Fear) yet.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Beyond the Mountains of Madness starts off slow, but has an excellent payoff. The exploration elements when the players reach their destination were my favorite part.

Escape From Innsmouth is a case study in how to make "mass battle" in RPGs interesting and fun - by breaking the action into bite sized chunks that allow a small group of characters to do something interesting, rather than forcing the players to wade through hundreds of NPCs shooting at each other.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Their quality varies but I am an absolute sucker for all the flashback mini-scenarios in Horror on the Orient Express. Give me entire campaigns of that because I'm never getting Eternal Darkness 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kavak posted:

Their quality varies but I am an absolute sucker for all the flashback mini-scenarios in Horror on the Orient Express. Give me entire campaigns of that because I'm never getting Eternal Darkness 2.

Those were so goddamn cool. Just a fantastic idea for changing a campaign up.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
That list up there doesn't include the campaigns Chaosium's put out since, like, 2016, including The Two Headed Serpent and A Cold Fire Within for Pulp Cthulhu, and The Children of Fear that just came out.

Hell, those three might be longer than the original iterations of the Masks, Shadows, etc. "super-campaigns" (enormous fuckhugeness of OG Orient and Beyond the Mountains notwithstanding).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

For anyone interested, submissions for the 2020 Delta Green Shotgun Scenario contest are now open! For more details see the contest document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Owt_xMIjJHRAeUGwYE-j1rZUGK6CEA8xiZvO4Mw2VwA/edit

Looking forward to seeing what this hell-year has given you as horrifying scenario fodder.

Submissions for this close tomorrow at noon, we're quite close to beating the all time record for submissions. So, if you were on the fence, or have a half-finished DG scenario, finish it up and submit it! If we break the record I'm doubling the prizes.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Hello! I have tried CoC once before with a few friends and suddenly I'm about to DM a group of five tomorrow. I've tweaked a scenario called Autophagia that starts at a ship and plan on kind of slide it into a SoYS-campaign if we enjoy it enough. Now I feel that there's going to be trouble because I can barely keep track of time. Any tips on how to play with lots of players? Also, suppose that I might enjoy the idea of having a shoggoth going godzilla on the dock district, how would I handle the whole mythos affecting a whole city district -part? Like throw a dice for mass sanity loss? I'm thinking of using the Order of the Silver Twillight from SoYS to act as some kind of men in black here, trying to keep can of mythos not opening up fully, effectively tricking the players into trusting them but I think I need a backup plan? Also, do you encourage players to split up in order to avoid the investigators moving around scenarios like a giant blob that let's the most competent one throw dice for the appropriate skill checks or just let that solve itself out? This kind of happened when we tried out one of the starter scenarios with three investigators, but maybe it depends on the scenario?
Oh, and how OP are the pulp rules? I'm thinking of using them all except the double health part, and maybe skip weird science at the beginning as well. Also, I am overthinking this, right? :)

edit
Also this game has unleashed my inner nerd. I'm having a blast making stupid handouts. How do I stop?!

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 8, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Okay I need to sort out what's been released and what I may have missed from the DG Kickstarter and it's confusing because I think they renamed/combined some books?

I pledged for every hardback and so far have gotten Fall Of, the core books, and Control Group. Haven't changed my address since getting Control Group as the last one.

Looking at the backerkit I'm still owed:
Pisces
Impossible Landscapes
Falling Towers
and Deep State

Is there a good site that has a breakdown of when to expect these or if they are already out and I missed them? Kind of hard to stay on top of this with a half-decade and counting timeline.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 8, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Imaginary Friend posted:

Hello! I have tried CoC once before with a few friends and suddenly I'm about to DM a group of five tomorrow. I've tweaked a scenario called Autophagia that starts at a ship and plan on kind of slide it into a SoYS-campaign if we enjoy it enough. Now I feel that there's going to be trouble because I can barely keep track of time. Any tips on how to play with lots of players? Also, suppose that I might enjoy the idea of having a shoggoth going godzilla on the dock district, how would I handle the whole mythos affecting a whole city district -part? Like throw a dice for mass sanity loss? I'm thinking of using the Order of the Silver Twillight from SoYS to act as some kind of men in black here, trying to keep can of mythos not opening up fully, effectively tricking the players into trusting them but I think I need a backup plan? Also, do you encourage players to split up in order to avoid the investigators moving around scenarios like a giant blob that let's the most competent one throw dice for the appropriate skill checks or just let that solve itself out? This kind of happened when we tried out one of the starter scenarios with three investigators, but maybe it depends on the scenario?
Oh, and how OP are the pulp rules? I'm thinking of using them all except the double health part, and maybe skip weird science at the beginning as well. Also, I am overthinking this, right? :)

edit
Also this game has unleashed my inner nerd. I'm having a blast making stupid handouts. How do I stop?!

If you are dealing with five people you should not have an awful time. If people split up then just try to keep it characterful and encourage people to not ALL split up - a group of two or three is quite fine though.

It would probably depend on when the shoggoth attacked. If you want to avoid the issue for the most part have it happen at night.

Having some kind of occult order could be an excellent hook but it is probably not strictly necessary. Consider what the shoggoth would want to do in a port town. It would probably gently caress stuff up and eat some people, but it would likely not try to fight the army - why would it? It would likely retreat into the sewers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Imaginary Friend posted:

edit

Well, let's go point by point
  • As mentioned above, 5 isn't too many. Do not allow them to split into three groups though. Consider setting up scenes, giving a few options, then asking each player how their character responds. Usually folks will assist other players who have a concrete goal.
  • Regarding city-wide sanity, I would never do the heavy lifting of rolling for NPCs that aren't named. You could describe how the experience affects NPCs that the characters interact with, but there's no reason to roll for it. You get to decide if their mind breaks or not.
  • On how to deal with the Godzilla problem, you could have a generalized "lost time" experience for NPCs who witness it. Their mind can't handle seeing a roiling mass of eyes and teeth, and just shuts down. They have no memory of the incident, even if questioned directly. Though perhaps there was some fell sorcery involved that clouded their memory....
  • If you need a backup plan on how to introduce the HOST, you could have them be approached by a member after they deal with the shoggoth situation, as they are capable persons with sturdy minds. Alternatively, you could introduce a "go-between" character that makes the introduction, but is ignorant of their plans or intent
  • To avoid an "everyone roll every skill check," I will often ask just a single player for a skill check. The alternative is always to push the timing. If the group is constant debating about who's got more experience fixing small engines, then the timeline progresses and things are more dire. Perhaps the encroaching threat is now just outside the door? (Alternatively you could just be real with the group and ask them to not have "group telepathy." They'll probably be cool with it if you specify this per-scene instead of whole-game)
  • Pulp rules don't add allllll that much, but it really depends on what kind of a game you're running. It sounds like you'd like a pulp game, and if so, just mix and match what you think will be fun. Alternatively, you could throw out options for your group and see what they're excited about.
  • Making props is maybe the best part of Cthulhu. Perhaps they'd all need passports?
  • You're absolutely overthinking this. Fly by the seat of your pants and have fun.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Okay I need to sort out what's been released and what I may have missed from the DG Kickstarter and it's confusing because I think they renamed/combined some books?

I pledged for every hardback and so far have gotten Fall Of, the core books, and Control Group. Haven't changed my address since getting Control Group as the last one.

Looking at the backerkit I'm still owed:
Pisces
Impossible Landscapes
Falling Towers
and Deep State

Is there a good site that has a breakdown of when to expect these or if they are already out and I missed them? Kind of hard to stay on top of this with a half-decade and counting timeline.

None of them are out yet, Impossible Landscapes is the most done, with Deep State next. Then my guess is Pisces and Falling Towers (which I legit haven't heard of).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I remember hearing about work on Impossible Landscapes, but I honestly thought the rest might've been cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Impossible Landscapes' text is finished, the rest is formatting and layout but the scenario itself is done and playable if you look at the previews (which may only be accessible through Detwiller's patreon).