Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Froghammer posted:

Off the top of my head, there's a demigod of storytelling and dinosaurs that nobody other than turbonerds knows or cares about

Wow Dragonbait has a longass page, I thought he was a one-off character for TOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

E: ^^^ Dragonbait is the best dragon paladin pal a magic clone can have. And he communicates with smells.

You can be a cleric of Lliira, the goddess of good times (joy), or a cleric of Sune, the goddess of sexy good times (beauty).

You could be a cleric of Akadi and quote Subotai, "my god is the wind; my god is above your god."

Shaundakul is a cool minor god of exploration and travel who's perfect for an adventuring cleric.

If you want to be a war cleric, but want to have some extra flavor, you can worship Garagos, the former main god of war who's focused on slaughter and bloodshed, or if that's too edgy, the Red Knight, is the lesser goddess of war's tactical and strategic aspects.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone seen a follower of Hoar done as something other than overpowering edgelordism?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

E: ^^^ Dragonbait is the best dragon paladin pal a magic clone can have. And he communicates with smells.

You can be a cleric of Lliira, the goddess of good times (joy), or a cleric of Sune, the goddess of sexy good times (beauty).

You could be a cleric of Akadi and quote Subotai, "my god is the wind; my god is above your god."

Shaundakul is a cool minor god of exploration and travel who's perfect for an adventuring cleric.

If you want to be a war cleric, but want to have some extra flavor, you can worship Garagos, the former main god of war who's focused on slaughter and bloodshed, or if that's too edgy, the Red Knight, is the lesser goddess of war's tactical and strategic aspects.

Lliira is also the goddess of dancing, rainbows, and queers, so yeah she's rad.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Eilistraee would be good for both twilight/dusk and peace

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone seen a follower of Hoar done as something other than overpowering edgelordism?

That's Hoar's whole thing. That's like asking if anyone's see a cleric of Cyric who isn't an insane troublemaker or a cleric of Nobanion who doesn't like cats.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I need an interesting deity for a character. I've really enjoyed Umberlee and Cyrollalee but I wanna run a cleric in ToA and could use something unusual or interesting.
Bahamut

or which setting are you in?

change my name posted:

Eilistraee would be good for both twilight/dusk and peace
lol ok drizzt

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Drizzt worships Mielikki :eng99:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

PeterWeller posted:

Drizzt worships Mielikki :eng99:

woops yeah, unicorn goddess

wires crossed because of the way the campaign i'm running is going

but Elistraee is definitely the drow redeemer goddess

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

PeterWeller posted:

Saurials are awesome in general.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know in the monster manual there is a "Mage" enemy that has some basic spells. But aside from just picking out spells that are thematic to a monster or would be challenging for players to deal with. There isn't like "mid range CR level mage" or "high level CR Mage with lots of dangerous spells" kinda monster blocks already kicking around is there?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
There are some other premade wizard NPCs, though not all in the Monster Manual (I think many of the others are in Volo's). At the top there is the Archmage which has ninth level spells and at the bottom, the 1st level Apprentice. There are also mid-range NPC stat blocks for each of the school specializations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Shame Boy posted:

I know in the monster manual there is a "Mage" enemy that has some basic spells. But aside from just picking out spells that are thematic to a monster or would be challenging for players to deal with. There isn't like "mid range CR level mage" or "high level CR Mage with lots of dangerous spells" kinda monster blocks already kicking around is there?

There's a ton of spellcasters spread out through the various books, although the MM and Volvo's have the most. They range from the CR 1/4 Acolyte through the CR6 Mage to the CR12 Archmage as bases, with lots of racial and local types thrown in.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hm, i will have to look more thoroughly through my books then since i must have missed most of those then.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I have a character build question: if you wanted to make an "antimage" who was based around blocking other casters from using spells with stuff like Counterspell, how would you build it? My thought was hexblade 5 for charisma attacks and thirsting blade, and then divine soul sorceror for anitmagic field and silence, plus sorcery points to maximize the number of counterspells you have. Sorlock seems like the best combo for sheer number of counterspells per day, and hexblade 5 gives you extra attack and SAD melee attacks to ensure that you can fight in antimagic field. Any thoughts?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I have a character build question: if you wanted to make an "antimage" who was based around blocking other casters from using spells with stuff like Counterspell, how would you build it? My thought was hexblade 5 for charisma attacks and thirsting blade, and then divine soul sorceror for anitmagic field and silence, plus sorcery points to maximize the number of counterspells you have. Sorlock seems like the best combo for sheer number of counterspells per day, and hexblade 5 gives you extra attack and SAD melee attacks to ensure that you can fight in antimagic field. Any thoughts?

Bard/Sorc.

Jack of All Trades work with the counterspell check. Subtle metamagic makes your counterspells less likely/impossible to counterspell.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I need an interesting deity for a character. I've really enjoyed Umberlee and Cyrollalee but I wanna run a cleric in ToA and could use something unusual or interesting.

The campaign has an achaeologist background if I remember right, so what about doing a reverse Stargate and making a Mulhorandi cleric of someone like Horus or Thoth who is an archaeologist researching the ancient magic which brought the ancestors of the Mulan people from Egypt to Imaskar?

Bonus points if you attribute everything strange to Earthlings.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 3, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

FFT posted:

woops yeah, unicorn goddess

wires crossed because of the way the campaign i'm running is going

but Elistraee is definitely the drow redeemer goddess

Oh yeah, you're right about Elistraee. I've always felt she should be an aspect or alias of Selune, given that Selune is all about redemption and dancing in the moonlight, so there's all sorts of overlap. But then again, I just gushed a bit about FR's lesser war gods, so I'm being sorta hypocritical here.

theironjef posted:

Saurials are awesome in general.

gently caress yes they are. :hfive:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

The campaign has an achaeologist background if I remember right, so what about doing a reverse Stargate and making a Mulhorandi cleric of someone like Horus or Thoth who is an archaeologist researching the ancient magic which brought the ancestors of the Mulan people from Egypt to Imaskar?

Bonus points if you attribute everything strange to Earthlings.

You'd probably be better off looking at the existing Chult religions that get tossed out in ToA - Ubtao, Dendar the Night Serpent (if you like the idea of worshiping the serpent that will wake up eat the sun and end the world), and Eshowdow. Look them up on the FR wiki and see if they're of interest, but there's some fun stuff to go with there.

And then yeah, Finder Wyvernspur also works with the inclusion of Dragonbait.

e: *smells like freshly baked bread*

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Natty Ninefingers posted:

So uh. I played DnD years and years ago, and recently got back into it. I’m not too interested in min maxing, as evidenced by the fact that I promptly rolled a wild mage sorcerer because it sounded exciting and hilarious.
That being said, what spells should I be looking out for as useful, particularly once the party gets above the first few levels. Right now, my char is cantrip and magic missile based fps, but are there any super useful utility spells?

At higher levels:

Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Teleport
Plane Shift

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
God, the cloak of protection is such a good item

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm running a low-level Nutcracker-themed adventure for my group this Sunday (we do a Christmas adventure every December). They'll be given a wooden soldier toy which will likely be broken by a minor campaign villain, and then they'll fall asleep and find themselves in their usual tavern, but very small. Under their usual table, they'll find a soldier with the same injury as the wooden toy, who will request that they bring him safely to the Christmas tree in the center of the tavern, but the way there is patrolled by rat soldiers. Once they make it to the tree, they'll fight the rat king, and then a sugar plum fairy will heal the toy and reward the players. Then they'll wake up and find the toy whole again, along with their rewards.

Can you think of anything else fun I should throw into the adventure? Music-wise, I'll be playing Tchaikovsky from the moment they go to sleep.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
make them fight a gingerbread man that can only be defeated by eating him

or an army of them that get animated from the tray

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
A sinister elf on the shelf.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bottom Liner posted:

make them fight a gingerbread man that can only be defeated by eating him

or an army of them that get animated from the tray

Or a gingerbread man that's human-sized and going to eat them

e: gingermancer

Have a phase in the boss fight where he escapes on a sled across the bar, leading to the players mounting up in reindeer/sled chase ending in a crash landing in the fireplace where he's crushed by a giant red rear end, maybe during which he throws a zone of darkness (like the spell) which the players navigate via the toy or similar casting a "light" spell on one of the reindeer

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 5, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VikingofRock posted:

I'm running a low-level Nutcracker-themed adventure for my group this Sunday (we do a Christmas adventure every December). They'll be given a wooden soldier toy which will likely be broken by a minor campaign villain, and then they'll fall asleep and find themselves in their usual tavern, but very small. Under their usual table, they'll find a soldier with the same injury as the wooden toy, who will request that they bring him safely to the Christmas tree in the center of the tavern, but the way there is patrolled by rat soldiers. Once they make it to the tree, they'll fight the rat king, and then a sugar plum fairy will heal the toy and reward the players. Then they'll wake up and find the toy whole again, along with their rewards.

Can you think of anything else fun I should throw into the adventure? Music-wise, I'll be playing Tchaikovsky from the moment they go to sleep.

Relating the rewards to chocolate, coffee, tea, and candy canes (or their associated nationalities) might be a good addition. They're some of the most iconic dance themes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nyyen posted:

A sinister elf on the shelf.

Do you call them "ATM machines" too?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Run run at your maximum pace
You can't catch me I'm affected by Haste

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

My friend informed me that you can make/play as a Giant Owl Spellcaster with the new sidekick rules.

I now need to convince a DM to let me play one :v:

Also on Christmas dungeon, I'm running one tomorrow and one of the magic items is a bottomless bag of coins.

Chocolate coins.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
something I've been wondering: why are there separate values for actual XP and the "adjusted" XP that represents the difficulty of the encounter, and increases with multiple monsters? it seems like if an encounter takes more of the players' resources, and is more risky, they should get greater rewards for it

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

congratulations on being a better game designer than the official team

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I googled it and apparently it's because otherwise it'd be possible to farm large groups of easy enemies for easy xp?

Whatever, milestone leveling and making it part of the narrative is the way to go anyway. I think I've said it before in this thread but I always hated the idea of finishing a fight in the middle of a dungeon, leveling, and suddenly having new abilities.

"Hey guys, I know how to cast fireball now! Sure would've been great an hour before, right?" :v:

I always try to tie in leveling with a bit of downtime. That way it makes sense for them to have honed their skills and be able to do new stuff on their bext adventure.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Taeke posted:

I googled it and apparently it's because otherwise it'd be possible to farm large groups of easy enemies for easy xp?

Whatever, milestone leveling and making it part of the narrative is the way to go anyway. I think I've said it before in this thread but I always hated the idea of finishing a fight in the middle of a dungeon, leveling, and suddenly having new abilities.

"Hey guys, I know how to cast fireball now! Sure would've been great an hour before, right?" :v:

I always try to tie in leveling with a bit of downtime. That way it makes sense for them to have honed their skills and be able to do new stuff on their bext adventure.

I split the difference by saying you have to finish a long rest to level like in Morrowind

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Taeke posted:

Honestly, I kind of hate milestone leveling. There is a sense of progression you get from accumulating exp that helps keep me invested as a player. MIlestone is easier, but seeing the accumulation of power is awesome. And honestly, as long as you don't let players level up until they take a long rest it helps with the "middle of dungeon, and now I'm better" problem.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

You can't "farm" enemies in D&D, you're at the discretion of what the DM is throwing at you unless you guys agree on a hack-and-slash adventure?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

change my name posted:

You can't "farm" enemies in D&D, you're at the discretion of what the DM is throwing at you unless you guys agree on a hack-and-slash adventure?

Just quantum up some bears! Get with the discourse!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Open a portal to the Abyss, stand there and wait. You'll get to fight all sorts of demons plus all the jerks who want to shut down your fun.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

change my name posted:

cast animate dead, farm skeletons. Duh!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Hey I finally played a session. I missed the first night but caught up with the group as source of info on some dark dwarves who stole a bunch of magic stone from a statue of an elder god the local town had. I followed along with the heroes to pursue, as my dude is an archaeologist who's bored to tears if he isn't risking his life in a dungeon. As a warforged artificer, I gave Mr. Mac OS Guyver starting equipment and spells that were useful or thematic, like shocking grasp(for he is a robot) and Catapult for throwing things instead of magic bolts or fireballs.

So anyway, we catch up with the culprits and I'm looking through my stuff to see what I can use to fight with. I see Catapult can launch things up to 5lbs as projectiles that cause blunt damage.

"Hey DM, how much does the crowbar that came in my adventure pack weigh?"
-"Uh, should be 5 lbs"
"Ok I use my spell here to fuckin whip this crowbar at the mind master's head"

He dodged it by rolling a 20, but it was a fun moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Dang it, quoted instead of edit.