Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The homogenization of Disney restaurants over the years certainly make it possible to make every dish from one or two central kitchens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There is no good dinner at Hollywood Studios that is not a table service credit in my honest opinion (and fantasmicalways interferes) and I always end up with room service pizza, so a longer menu would be kinda neat?

I think HS dining in general is pretty poor.
Ronto wrap is delicious, 50 diner is fun but basic, and Brown Derby is fine but pricey/2 credits. Everything else is super forgettable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sci-fi drive in has great burgers or at least they still did about 3 years ago when I last ate there.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bottom Liner posted:

Sci-fi drive in has great burgers or at least they still did about 3 years ago when I last ate there.

SciFi is great, but it's sit down

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sci fi used to be pretty bad for awhile which is why I write them off in my head. I also have issues with eating in the dark, but that's just a personal thing. Shame because it's a really fun gimmick

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I don't even know how that would work considering the walk to the actual restaurant (like something that isn't immediately accessable from the MK underground) and then the at least twenty minute drive to the resorts.

I don't think it'd be that difficult, honestly. Most major food outlets are going to have some kind of backstage access for CMs and food deliveries, all you really gotta do is set up routing. Hell, they already have a system for delivering your purchases to your hotel room, I don't see why they couldn't deliver dinner too.

I think the two biggest issues would be a) the full service/sit down places that generally require reservations are only going to have enough food prepped to serve that shift's covers, and b) while park to hotel probably wouldn't be bad, hotel to hotel could be a nightmare. It's a pretty interesting logistical problem.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There is no good dinner at Hollywood Studios that is not a table service credit in my honest opinion (and fantasmicalways interferes) and I always end up with room service pizza, so a longer menu would be kinda neat?

Let's be real, we always end up with room service pizza when we're drunk enough. The only thing to put a dent in it is bringing back a Blaze pizza.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I’ve ordered room service at the hotel for dinner and would have considered ordering from restaurant menus instead. My preference would be to eat at the restaurants but sometimes everyone is tired and you need to stay in.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't think I've ever spent any substantial amount of time in the room besides sleeping. I feel like anytime in the room is time wasted.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The survey question and idea I'm guessing (and they mention it on the podcast) that it's logistically an easy idea as you already have several parts of the infrastructure. IE, a shitload of Minnie Vans sitting there, a Lyft implementation which can easily add food ordering, and a ton of folks looking for jobs in the short term.

But yeah I use my resort as a bed and that's about it. Some day I'll finally take a pool day though. Maybe.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think the only resort I'd probably use for something other than a bed is fort wilderness because it's such a neat, different place and it always has stuff to explore and now I think I might need to add a day to my next vacation to just go spend at the fort, gently caress.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I, too, used to only use the resort as a bed. But then after we let our annual passes lapse a few years ago we started doing little getaways just to hang out at the resorts using leftover DVC points. Places like the Poly, Fort Wilderness, Animal Kingdom and Boardwalk have quite a lot of activities to do to keep you busy/entertained for a full day if you aren't visiting a park. Then you have Saratoga Springs with lots of stuff to do, and you can walk to Disney Springs. So far, I haven't been to a resort with a bad pool setup yet.

Also, if anyone remembers me mentioning the cruise I booked for January. We got notice from DCL a couple of weeks ago that all January sailings were cancelled. So we were given the option of full refund or 125% rebooking credit. We decided to rebook for an October sailing out of New York to Bermuda on the Disney Magic. We're going to be staying in the same exact room we had for our Canadian cruise in 2017, which was a really odd sideways setup, but had tons of space. So we ended up getting a comparably sized room (sans massive veranda) on a higher deck, with an additional day and a better itinerary for just $12 extra after it was all said and done.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 3, 2020

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

When you have little kids, you do end up spending a fair amount of time in the room, but I still don't know that I'd be down to ordering DisneyDash+ for many dinners. Now, if they wanted to bring me some late night Zebra Domes or a Peanut Butter and Jelly milkshake, then I'm down to clown.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

When you have little kids, you do end up spending a fair amount of time in the room, but I still don't know that I'd be down to ordering DisneyDash+ for many dinners. Now, if they wanted to bring me some late night Zebra Domes or a Peanut Butter and Jelly milkshake, then I'm down to clown.

POG juice service directly to my loving veins. Boma, but it's delivered on one of those rolly carts that's as long as your whole room is.

It is absolutely going to be DisneyDash+

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I would DisneyDash+ the bread service from Sanaa. Absolutely.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

for us part of it is being at the restaurant at disney, so disneydash would likely never get used. but we aren't going to go to disney during a pandemic, so we can wait for the restaurants to open

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

couldcareless posted:

I think HS dining in general is pretty poor.
Ronto wrap is delicious, 50 diner is fun but basic, and Brown Derby is fine but pricey/2 credits. Everything else is super forgettable.

The ABC Commissary ribs dinner was great (and I'm a rib snob) but they got rid of it during the menu change this year. Ronto wrap is good but expensive. PizzeRizzo owns and is a great value and I am willing to fight about it, but I fear it's on the chopping block. I really want to check out the Drive-In because I love burgers and MST3k-quality movies. So yeah, there are/were some bright spots but nothing as outstanding as the other parks.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

PizzeRizzo's pizza, as well as Pizzafari, and most of the food court pizzas are subpar at best. I wish Disney could figure out how to make decent pizza.

I still eat it because it's pizza, but it's not great.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I’m just imagining the cost of Disney dining, and adding room service premiums and delivery fees on top of that, and shuddering.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Nottherealaborn posted:

I’m just imagining the cost of Disney dining, and adding room service premiums and delivery fees on top of that, and shuddering.

yeah the MinnieVans started at like 35 bucks I think lol

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I got lunch at Sci-Fi Dine In the last couple times I was at Hollywood Studios and really enjoyed both meals! Very good burger, and probably the closest I'll ever get to eating at Jack Rabbit Slim's from Pulp Fiction.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
About loving time.

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1334610846547402752

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Braksgirl posted:

PizzeRizzo's pizza, as well as Pizzafari, and most of the food court pizzas are subpar at best. I wish Disney could figure out how to make decent pizza.

I respect you a lot Braksgirl so I'll let this slide.

But I still enjoy it. I like the NYC diner aesthetic, it's never crowded, it's a great place to cool off and sit by the windows to enjoy crowdwatching that little Muppets corner of HS with the Christmas Shop and stuff, and the pizza is a perfect size and comes with a salad which is a great value.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I don’t see how that delivery service works unless they implement a radius from restaurants for delivery. Also don’t hotel rooms massively outnumber restaurants hence why you have to book places months in advance normally?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Hazo posted:

I respect you a lot Braksgirl so I'll let this slide.

But I still enjoy it. I like the NYC diner aesthetic, it's never crowded, it's a great place to cool off and sit by the windows to enjoy crowdwatching that little Muppets corner of HS with the Christmas Shop and stuff, and the pizza is a perfect size and comes with a salad which is a great value.

I do agree that the actual restaurant itself is cool. Not knocking that. The salad isn't bad. It's purely the pizza that have beef with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Pizza Planet was great when it had the pizza/side/cupcake combo because it was like Chucky Cheese but good. The cupcake was as big as the pizza and probably even more calories too lol.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Disney pizza is real bad. PizzeRizzo deserves to be a true NY style slice, and not some poo poo, low quality personal pan pizza.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Braksgirl posted:

I agree with you. I don't even bother with the pizza at 'Rizzos, and just opt for the meatball sub if I have to eat there.

Via Napoli is pretty solid pizza. Expensive, but pretty good.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The fact that PizzeRizzo isn't NY style slices is just upsetting. Bringing back the Pizza Planet frisbee pizza pucks was just sad.

HOWEVER, sometimes I am in the mood for a frisbee pizza puck and it hits the spot. Plus it comes with a salad, which is fairly solid deal for the price.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I always had heard Via Napoli was pretty good?

I assume Disney just tries to make pizza that is enjoyable to the largest segment of the audience. NY pizza kinda sucks, especially if you think using your hands and folding it is gross.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Via Napoli is dope but the pizzas for more than a personal are like $25-35. The slices are I think $7-8ish. I know I'm paying the mouse tax but that's hard for me to justify on pizza that is fine for Disney level. Then again, bad pizza is still pizza. I know there's no way to logistically do it with that level of crowd but I wish Pizzerizzo or something was just a themed Blaze.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah I’m not saying the pizzas are world class or anything. I just like the value and venue, especially considering the lack of counter service spots in HS.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Craptacular! posted:

I always had heard Via Napoli was pretty good?

I assume Disney just tries to make pizza that is enjoyable to the largest segment of the audience. NY pizza kinda sucks, especially if you think using your hands and folding it is gross.

There are people that don't eat pizza with their hands?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Prosciutto and cantaloupe pizza at Via Napoli is one of my favorite Disney dishes and definitely worth the premium.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Braksgirl posted:

There are people that don't eat pizza with their hands?

The French eat it with a knife and fork. They also make the crust super-thin and kinda soggy so you have no real choice. But if you're going to France for the pizza you're probably doing it wrong

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
God bless Docking Bay 7. Finally a decent QS in HS

The real problem is that Satu'li Canteen is so good it makes other QS look so bad by comparison. I sit there with my Tip Yip and it's like, sure this isn't bad, but its not Satu'li.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm crazy about the tater tots bowl at woody's lunchbox

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Prosciutto and cantaloupe pizza at Via Napoli is one of my favorite Disney dishes and definitely worth the premium.

cantaloupe on pizza? I am extremely skeptical of this

alg posted:

I'm crazy about the tater tots bowl at woody's lunchbox

potato barrels

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Friar's Nook in MK has some totchos that are surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hey that reminds me, thank you to whoever recommended the cinnamon rolls at Gaston’s. We skipped the end of the castle fireworks on our visit in January to dash over there and it was absolutely worth it.