Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The god thing pisses me off less than the whole everybody deciding to give up modern technology thing. Its basically a mass suicide.

I loving hate primitivist poo poo like that. No, Lee adama, living without toilet paper, deodorant, contraception, medicine, indoor plumbing etc is in no way desirable and it is wholly unbelievable that an entire group of people would simply choose to throw all of that away no matter how traumatized and worn down they are

The thing that kills me is they could have hung a hat on that by just having one line about a bunch of humans deciding to gently caress off back into space with the cylons centurions aboard their basestar. I mean I could see some humans being dumb enough to give up technology like the bidet but not all of them. Plus it would have helped imply that perhaps the cycle could be broken, to help balance out the depressing robot montage at the very end of the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I loving hate primitivist poo poo like that. No, Lee adama, living without toilet paper, deodorant, contraception, medicine, indoor plumbing etc is in no way desirable and it is wholly unbelievable that an entire group of people would simply choose to throw all of that away no matter how traumatized and worn down they are

The thing that kills me is they could have hung a hat on that by just having one line about a bunch of humans deciding to gently caress off back into space with the cylons centurions aboard their basestar. I mean I could see some humans being dumb enough to give up technology like the bidet but not all of them. Plus it would have helped imply that perhaps the cycle could be broken, to help balance out the depressing robot montage at the very end of the show

Or, if they didn't want to shoehorn them the fleet being humanities' ancestors (and thus, having reduced themselves back down to illiterate hunter-gathers) they could have just had the last jump take them to an uninhabited earth-like planet where they break bread with the Cylons and form a new shared civilisation without sending the average human lifespan back down to 40

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Okay thinking a bit more about my VOY rewatch it is ofc a very flawed show but I just realized one thing, and I am wondering if it is a (one of many) plothole:
The USS Dauntless with that super fancy ultra slipstream Warp Drive was tech from a race that was mostly Assimilated by the Borg right?
From what I can tell turn of events is Borg try to get a race > they evade with superior tech most of the times >Borg busy with Species 8472 so they are "safe" > Janeway fucks over Delta Quadrant with her Alliance > USS Dauntless revenge plot.

While not fully conquered yet this very much implies that that race with the slipstream drive did have quite a bit of assimilation already, so why doesn't 7of9 know about it or at least have a "hey, wait a minute" moment. And thus their own attempts at slipstream later in the show be much easier.

I am also way overthinking a at best sloppy written show ofc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Starting every episode with an intro that says "And they have a plan" and then it turns out that the cylon plan was that they thought god had a plan was pretty dumb. I honestly don't even remember why the cylons were attacking the humans. I was bummed that Caprica got cancelled, because that world was kind of interesting and I wanted to see more of it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
As much as I loved Dean Stockwell's performance as Cavil it really feels like the Cylons became a bunch of petulant teenagers in the back half of the show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tighclops posted:

As much as I loved Dean Stockwell's performance as Cavil it really feels like the Cylons became a bunch of petulant teenagers in the back half of the show

Have you seen Caprica?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cojawfee posted:

Have you seen Caprica?

It was incredibly obvious that when Caprica was originally pitched it had nothing to do with Battlestar Galactica, but its setting was just similar enough that executives thought they could get away with attaching the BSG name to it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Following Battlestar Galacticast it seems a common truth that Moore always said that Galactica was a 4 season show and that while a lot of detail was up for grabs, the beginning and end points were always clear vision.

The show is more than 'god did it'. From season one we are told that this is a story of the human-cylon child and how that's the hope for peace in the future. That is very much what drives many of the events in the show.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSGod was a monster on a scale I can only barely wrap my brain around if I stop to think about how that show ended for longer than 30 seconds

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Lol Skelator resurrected Klingon Jesus, awesome.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tighclops posted:

BSGod was a monster on a scale I can only barely wrap my brain around if I stop to think about how that show ended for longer than 30 seconds

I mean it's strongly implied to be something very much like the old testament god YHWH. Even back in season 2 Head Six says he damns the souls of anyone who dies on Kobol to oblivion for the sin of returning to the planet, he was always characterised as an aloof and authoritarian prick and not a peace and love Jesus guy

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

At least voyager didn’t have a cast member who got into an insane sex cult and had slaves

what

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nikki Clyne, who played Cally in BSG, joined NXIVM, and was the wife of Alison Mack (possibly to evade immigration laws), the actress who was a recruiter for the cult, and supposedly arranged women to become sex slaves for the leader.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Epicurius posted:

Nikki Clyne, who played Cally in BSG, joined NXIVM, and was the wife of Alison Mack (possibly to evade immigration laws), the actress who was a recruiter for the cult, and supposedly arranged women to become sex slaves for the leader.

Nikki Clyne also had her own personal group of slaves who were branded and had to send in dirt on themselves every month as a form of collateral to ensure they never left

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
HOLY poo poo :vince:

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nikki Clyne also had her own personal group of slaves who were branded and had to send in dirt on themselves every month as a form of collateral to ensure they never left

Lol I got her autograph at a con like 10 years ago.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epicurius posted:

I did not know this. I thought someone had brought Smallville into the conversation for some weird reason.

Keith Raniere deserves so much worse than he's ever going to get.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Duckula posted:

Lol I got her autograph at a con like 10 years ago.

you've been in the sex cult the whole time, soon you'll be activated

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

trying to give enterprise a second chance but christ archer is such an insufferable rear end in a top hat

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crusader posted:

trying to give enterprise a second chance but christ archer is such an insufferable rear end in a top hat

Skip to the third season and start there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Crusader posted:

That’s the point. Enterprise gets a lot better when you realize Archer is an idiot, and T’Pol is always right.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really do think they intended Archer to start as a dumbass and learn how to be a captain over the course of the series, learning from T'Pol, Shran, presumably a Tellarite eventually, but poorly conveyed it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

It should be noted that, with a hint of irony, BSG ends up in arguably a bigger flaming trash heap than Voyager does largely because Moore had no idea where he was going with it, what he was doing, got too clever by half with it, and then threw his hands up and went "I dunno... God did it. Yes, literally God." after his one clever twist wound up breaking the show into splinters.

Nothing he says about Voyager is wrong, mind you.

poo poo like the hilariously contrived about-face on the resurrection virus plotline, or the magical half-breed baby blood temporarily curing cancer, was a far worse betrayal of the show's alleged guiding principles than hokey mysticism. Ron Moore said he wanted a show that wasn't afraid to face consequences, but he proved himself a coward who would desert a dying man press the big red reset button.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Still to this day I'm not quite sure why they cast quantum leap as Archer.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

quantum leap was just holodeck episodes

https://youtu.be/Yzg10X0lN5I

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Still to this day I'm not quite sure why they cast quantum leap as Archer.

And now he's a navy cop

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Wheeee posted:

quantum leap was just holodeck episodes

https://youtu.be/Yzg10X0lN5I

I can't say that's one of the holodeck scenarios I would choose.

Technowolf posted:

And now he's a navy cop

I had absolutely no idea he was doing an NCIS, how had I missed that for 6 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

piratepilates posted:

I had absolutely no idea he was doing an NCIS, how had I missed that for 6 years.

Oh boy

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cojawfee posted:

Starting every episode with an intro that says "And they have a plan" and then it turns out that the cylon plan was that they thought god had a plan was pretty dumb. I honestly don't even remember why the cylons were attacking the humans. I was bummed that Caprica got cancelled, because that world was kind of interesting and I wanted to see more of it.

The Cylons wanted to figure out biological reproduction and needed human stock I think? But instead of just kidnapping random humans no one would miss among 12 planets of humans, they just had to go all exterminate on them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I really do think they intended Archer to start as a dumbass and learn how to be a captain over the course of the series, learning from T'Pol, Shran, presumably a Tellarite eventually, but poorly conveyed it.

The problem is that that vision inherently clashes with the other motif of the show, which is that Humanity's emergence on the galactic stage is the catalyst for the Federation coming together.

So you have some episodes where Archer is a dumbass and makes things worse and has to learn how thing really are from T'Pol, but they are interlaced with other episodes where Archer is a dumbass but this time he happens to be actually right and he solves the problems the other races can't.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

And the whole time, regardless of what a childish fuckup he has been, the crew venerates him for some reason.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Obviously they remember him from quantum leap

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Quantum Leap is pretty great.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I still wish the first shot of Bacula had been him beaming onto the ship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well the first three episodes of Voyager held up better than I remembered

Now I'm on to my favorite episode, that being The One Where Someone Steals Neelix's Lungs

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Lung and Lung! What Is Lung?!"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

And the whole time, regardless of what a childish fuckup he has been, the crew venerates him for some reason.

lmao i just watched him commit an act of space piracy along with his senior officer

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

8one6 posted:

I still wish the first shot of Bacula had been him beaming onto the ship.

Cold open of Archer beaming in to an alien room. Flipping open his communicator we hear T'Pol speak through it

"The delegations are awaiting your arrival, it's crucial that the Andorians and Tellarites maintain their new peaceful relations if we are to withstand the new Romulan threat".

Archer steps forward and pushes open a doorway, then immediately jumps back as an Andorian goes flying past him. Peering into the room he sees complete chaos as the representatives of the two races engage in a full on bar-room brawl. We zoom in on Archers face.

"Oh boy"

Opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b83_IqWT2Rw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
lmao this episode where a Q requests asylum and Janeway somehow manages to twist herself into the position that the continuum's incarceration practices aren't relevant because it's not her position to just another society's justice system

what the gently caress does she think asylum is from if not from the government of their society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That was actually a good episode but I'm not sure Janeway knows what the word asylum means