Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I mean this is SUPER not true, but those companies are making historicals or other scifi or fantasy stuff. GW has the margins it does because it owns Warhammer and has the trademarks to prove it (hence all the incredibly daft names for poo poo in Age of Sigmar. Can't be an Elf, got be an Aelf Treeshagger or something)
Don't forget they also have exclusive LOTR rights as well. Having said that, I haven't been in a store in ages but I'm assuming the LOTR stuff is still at the back of the store, behind the warhammer FB stuff, covered in stickers that say 'We are all judging you right now.'

mediaphage posted:

i wonder if as 3d printers inevitably get cheaper and easier to use and higher quality over time whether we’ll see an open source replacement eventually take hold.
Heroforge look like a good alternative for custom single minis, I am looking forwards to not being broke so I can start making weird character concepts like goblin bards, or halfling fighter, and then never ever getting to play them.

I used to collect GW, was terrible at playing it, and got bored of painting the minis after doing about 3 in the same colour. But because my brother and i had about 5k points of space marines between us, everyone wanted to challenge us. And back then the Newcastle store was super strict about using painted minis only, even bases, so we never even got to play in store.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

forkboy84 posted:

Same, I've so far resisted but there's a shop in town and I quite fancy painting up a squad of...something. as a kid i had a Delaque gang whose cool trench coats/dusters I decided to paint a kind of dayglo green which I'd quite like to recreate but the last time I checked new Delaque gangers don't have cool dusters but look like cybergoth perverts

When I was very young there was a slide at the playground that was massive, absolutely humongous, like the size of Mt. Everest. I couldn't imagine anything bigger than that slide. When I went back to my home village as an adult to see how it had changed, I saw that slide, and it was just a normal size slide.

Maybe the gangers were cybergoth perverts all along?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

stev posted:

I know they licence books and games a lot more than they used to but it always amazes me how profitable the figures continue to be. Who are these adults who have the time, money and space to build and paint armies and landscapes in TYOOL 2020?

Even before the pandemic, there were 3 guys in my team at work who were really into it. They said it was because their kids liked it, but I think they enjoy the painting process (which the kids don’t) and they just leave the kids to the battling. It’s a pretty cheap hobby to have which gives them something to do with their kids, which is cool.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

peanut- posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

Every time they open their loving mouths I get a loss less confident in this vaccine

Good thing the UK government is doing so much to support and sustain the research community it is justifiably proud of: fostering strong international ties, ensuring the continuation of international research funding, making it easy and attractive for scientists from other countries to visit and work in the country, encouraging postgrads from overseas (who then stay on to turn into UK researchers), giving young British researchers good reasons not to leave for better money and conditions abroad, and so on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just had a Call from my mam confirming I won't be seeing my parents this Christmas because they're down in Norfolk and there is too much general risk involved. Thankfully my brother and his wife moved back to Newcastle so I can spend Christmas day with them rather than being home alone at least

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

stev posted:

I know they licence books and games a lot more than they used to but it always amazes me how profitable the figures continue to be. Who are these adults who have the time, money and space to build and paint armies and landscapes in TYOOL 2020?

I keep hoping to get to play Saga with someone IRL when things are more normal. It's a skirmish wargame so you only need a few dudez and historicals are dirt loving cheap compared to anything GW.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ The GW thread in trad games used to recommend Warmachine I think it was called - mech combat, 1-5 minis needed per player, damage systems similar to battletech but a bit easier, much cheaper to play.

My parents are optimistically hoping that Tyne & Wear goes down to tier 2 (not loving likely) so they can come down and help with the new house, but I doubt it's likely.

Of course because they live in the posh end, they keep blaming poor areas like Wallsend for spreading it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 3, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Every time they open their loving mouths I get a loss less confident in this vaccine
If you do not opt for the fleg vaccine you're a traitor imo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Even before the pandemic, there were 3 guys in my team at work who were really into it. They said it was because their kids liked it, but I think they enjoy the painting process (which the kids don’t) and they just leave the kids to the battling. It’s a pretty cheap hobby to have which gives them something to do with their kids, which is cool.

:stonk: What, compared to their other hobby of luxury yachts, or...?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

Tbh Williamson would be less of a oval office if the only words that exited his mouth were "I'M A oval office" ad eternam

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

feedmegin posted:

The thing about hobbies for kids is that you can cheap out on them and they won't know the difference. Oh, they'll be able to tell something is off, but at that age they're grateful to have anything. They won't join the dots until years down the line, and by that point there's a million other reasons your relationship with them is strained, so the resentment will be left to fester unspoken. It's consequence free, if you think about it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't forget they also have exclusive LOTR rights as well. Having said that, I haven't been in a store in ages but I'm assuming the LOTR stuff is still at the back of the store, behind the warhammer FB stuff, covered in stickers that say 'We are all judging you right now.'

They actually started pushing the LOTR stuff again recently.

Fantasy accents: I mostly didn't used to bother with accents for RPG characters but since play has moved largely to discord I've found it VERY helpful, not to mention enjoyable, to do accents for my characters, as it makes it a little clearer when speech is intended to be in character rather than out of character.

My Gnome artificer is is welsh, my Grave Cleric in Curse of Strahd is scottish. My Vampire characters have been hyper-posh English (he was an early 18th century aristo, and never updated himself beyond the 1950s), and french.

In short accents are fun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dabir posted:

The thing about hobbies for kids is that you can cheap out on them and they won't know the difference. Oh, they'll be able to tell something is off, but at that age they're grateful to have anything. They won't join the dots until years down the line, and by that point there's a million other reasons your relationship with them is strained, so the resentment will be left to fester unspoken. It's consequence free, if you think about it.

Off-brand Lego. :argh:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

peanut- posted:

Bonus points: the Pfizer vaccine is manufactured in Belgium.

Better hope the lorries carrying it at - 70 don't get held up at the ports after Jan 1st!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Convex posted:

Tbh Williamson would be less of a oval office if the only words that exited his mouth were "I'M A oval office" ad eternam

All true, although to my surprise the government’s policy on next year’s exams seems to be getting a cautious thumbs up across the board.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

feedmegin posted:

Once I got into an argument in the 40k thread where a dude was legit comparing the hobby to horse riding and motorcycles to demonstrate it was cheap.

40k is a pretty solid game atm, which is surprising, but it's still a a mugs game actually trying to buy and play with a physical army. I like the hobby stuff but the rules change too frequently so you're always left with a dud army within a year.

I've been playing it on tabletop sim and that's good fun though, a few of the armies even have their actual models from the GW website so look real good

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Nerdy IT guys who are painting figures all day while they sit on interminable Zoom scrum and sprint meetings with their camera turned off, judging by my friends tbh.

This is me but instead it's magic cards and deck building.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its so extremely poo poo

https://twitter.com/Archimbaldo/status/1334460710403911683?s=20

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

thespaceinvader posted:

They actually started pushing the LOTR stuff again recently.

This. They've rebranded it as Middle Earth Strategy Game (So merging Hobbit and LOTR).

I discovered my old teen models from 15 years ago and starting painting them just before Covid hit (I even started an after school club with my Year 7 tutor group in an effort to promote reading, both the novels and the rule books). Then I saw they basically relaunched the rules and been collecting the books and new models as they release. The kids got quite into it (the only school I've worked at where kids use Tolkein terms like they are the norm, throughout the day), but can't do it now until things go back to normal.

Apparently they extended the license for another 4 years (3 years ago) and it's gotten popular again recently. There are some pretty active groups around like Great British Hobbit League, and a few tournaments planned for next year across the country.

(I'm bored of posting School horror stories)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Once I got into an argument in the 40k thread where a dude was legit comparing the hobby to horse riding and motorcycles to demonstrate it was cheap.

Cheap is relative to your income :eng101:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Getting kids to read Tolkien? Sounds like you're doing a good job teaching them what theu reslly need to know.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

40k can be relatively inexpensive if you're not buying FW models or direct from GW or anything. A box of 20 ork boyz is £20 which is less than an Xbox game. If you get the boxes on a third party reseller site it can be even cheaper £/model. Most gaming clubs do escalation leagues as well where you go from, say, 100 points to 200 points to 500 to 750 to 1000 etc. so you can incrementally increase your army size as your budget suits.

Anyway, that's how I justify it to my fiance.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Cheap is relative to your income :eng101:

Were they UK or US based? If US, maybe the things are a lot cheaper.

I recall something that went very flat in Cairo - a band from the US were over and were basically saying they had been so skint they had to live on Macdonalds. Instead of appreciative laughs they were obviously expecting, it went down like a lead balloon because outside of the US, a Macdonalds is an expensive treat especially if you have an army of little kids too. In Cairo, for example, a big mac and fries cost something like 1kg of beef and many Egyptians had stopped buying meat because of the price increases.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Were they UK or US based? If US, maybe the things are a lot cheaper.

I recall something that went very flat in Cairo - a band from the US were over and were basically saying they had been so skint they had to live on Macdonalds. Instead of appreciative laughs they were obviously expecting, it went down like a lead balloon because outside of the US, a Macdonalds is an expensive treat especially if you have an army of little kids too. In Cairo, for example, a big mac and fries cost something like 1kg of beef and many Egyptians had stopped buying meat because of the price increases.

us farm subsidies in action!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Communist Thoughts posted:

I like the hobby stuff but the rules change too frequently so you're always left with a dud army within a year.

:dudsmile: :dudsmile: :dudsmile:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's better than any of the Boris stuff I've seen posted, in that there's almost two actual jokes in there, but jesus it goes nowhere.

fake edit: typed that before I watched the last sketch where Rishi Sunak is stealing money to pay for the furlough, fuuuuuuuckkkkk oooooooofffffffffff.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Was the old Spitting Image any good? I was too young to watch it back when it was on TV

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

EvilHawk posted:

40k can be relatively inexpensive if you're not buying FW models or direct from GW or anything. A box of 20 ork boyz is £20 which is less than an Xbox game. If you get the boxes on a third party reseller site it can be even cheaper £/model. Most gaming clubs do escalation leagues as well where you go from, say, 100 points to 200 points to 500 to 750 to 1000 etc. so you can incrementally increase your army size as your budget suits.

Anyway, that's how I justify it to my fiance.

Plus if you find the hobby isn't for you, the resale value of the models is generally pretty good. These days you can't sell on that £50 game download you ended up playing for a couple of hours, but providing they're in decent condition you can easily get back 50-80% of the current retail value selling GW models second-hand. With the regular price increases I fully expect my collection to pay off my kid's university fees one day.

In recent years GW have also been focused on lowering the barrier to entry for new customers. Several years ago you would struggle to find entry level games with less than £300 worth of models, rulebooks and accessories. Now there's Kill Team which gets you up and running with 1 squad, and the newest 40k edition has clear rules for different game & table sizes building up from that. This was done through the revelutionary approach of asking what customers wanted, rather than the previous management whose attitude was "here's what we sell, tough poo poo if you want something else".

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Quick fudge update!

All orders received up until 13:00 yesterday were mailed yesterday afternoon (though the post office called this morning to say that it was such a large mailing they’ve only been put in the system today- so watch those mailboxes from tomorrow!)

I’m heading out to the post office again today to drop off more orders at around 14:00, so if you haven’t ordered yet and want fudge in time for the weekend, hit up https://www.fudjit.co.uk in the next hour!

We’re out of a couple of flavours, but still have plenty of stock to chose from. And thank you so much to everyone who’s already placed an order! :)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Convex posted:

Was the old Spitting Image any good? I was too young to watch it back when it was on TV

It seemed pretty good at the time - it was something new and irreverent, a breath of fresh air over 30 years ago. Just about the only satirical thing on tv IIRC*. I know we all used to watch it avidly back then.
There are too many alternatives these days and though I haven't seen the new series, the bits posted ITT and elsewhere don't entice me.

*I just remembered there was also a thing called Not the Nine O Clock news which ran 1979 to 1982 ish. Spitting Image was after that.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Guavanaut posted:

If you do not opt for the fleg vaccine you're a traitor imo

Where's Are Maddie?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It seemed pretty good at the time - it was something new and irreverent, a breath of fresh air over 30 years ago. Just about the only satirical thing on tv IIRC. I know we all used to watch it avidly back then.
There are too many alternatives these days and though I haven't seen the new series, the bits posted ITT and elsewhere don't entice me.

Ah that's interesting, thanks! Might see if I can dig up some old ones on YouTube or something.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Convex posted:

I may be fogging my memory a bit, but I seem to recall the early spitting image being reasonably funny and actually satirical. It went notably downhill during thatcher's latter years as PM, then improved a little under John Major. Certainly it didn't feel as much of an embarrassment to watch as the new one.

Also, wagon wheels were definitely bigger.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

xtothez posted:

Plus if you find the hobby isn't for you, the resale value of the models is generally pretty good. These days you can't sell on that £50 game download you ended up playing for a couple of hours, but providing they're in decent condition you can easily get back 50-80% of the current retail value selling GW models second-hand. With the regular price increases I fully expect my collection to pay off my kid's university fees one day.

In recent years GW have also been focused on lowering the barrier to entry for new customers. Several years ago you would struggle to find entry level games with less than £300 worth of models, rulebooks and accessories. Now there's Kill Team which gets you up and running with 1 squad, and the newest 40k edition has clear rules for different game & table sizes building up from that. This was done through the revelutionary approach of asking what customers wanted, rather than the previous management whose attitude was "here's what we sell, tough poo poo if you want something else".

Yeah I've only recently gotten back into warhammer (as in, the last 2-3 years) from when I played as a kid, but the entry path is really good. I started with kill team, there's a box you can buy for like £50 which has everything you need to play a game really. Then I wanted to add some more units to it. Then a few more. Then I was almost at a decent army size so I bought a bit more and a bit more. Then I wanted to try another army so I did the same. It was all incremental and I could buy as I wanted and could afford, not solely so I could play.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Convex posted:

Ah that's interesting, thanks! Might see if I can dig up some old ones on YouTube or something.

You'll probably be disappointed especially as it was very topical and things like Roy Hattersley spitting everywhere as he spoke will probably pass you by.
A bit like how old people rave about The Beatles who were 'fresh and exciting' 55 years ago but are just basically middle of the road pop.

(PS I also edited my post to mention "Not the Nine O Clock News" which slightly predated Spitting Image and was another satirical news show. It had Tracy Ullman in it before she moved to the US and put on a fake american accent* also Rowan Atkinson and Pamela Stephenson - now a Lady and married to Billy Connolly).

*I was wrong about Ullman she was in a different satirical thing called "Three of a kind".

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 3, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You'll probably be disappointed especially as it was very topical and things like Roy Hattersley spitting everywhere as he spoke will probably pass you by.
A bit like how old people rave about The Beatles who were 'fresh and exciting' 55 years ago but are just basically middle of the road pop.

(PS I also edited my post to mention "Not the Nine O Clock News" which slightly predated Spitting Image and was another satirical news show.)

See I still maintain that most of NTNON holds up. Now it could be that I watched/listened to the tapes of it as a young boy in the 80s so I had some level of context, but I rewatched various bits this year and still found them funny- also as a more politically aware adult there were a /lot/ of jokes that went over my head first time round.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(PS I also edited my post to mention "Not the Nine O Clock News" which slightly predated Spitting Image and was another satirical news show.)

Ah yes I got the compilation videos when I was about 12, they were great although quite a few of the sketches got butchered. I enjoyed the songs as well :)

Also the Tories never change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crz13FKjp1I

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Constable Savage unfortunately continues to be relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

Dead Goon posted:

Where's Are Maddie?
In the lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Camrath posted:

Quick fudge update!

All orders received up until 13:00 yesterday were mailed yesterday afternoon (though the post office called this morning to say that it was such a large mailing they’ve only been put in the system today- so watch those mailboxes from tomorrow!)

I’m heading out to the post office again today to drop off more orders at around 14:00, so if you haven’t ordered yet and want fudge in time for the weekend, hit up https://www.fudjit.co.uk in the next hour!

We’re out of a couple of flavours, but still have plenty of stock to chose from. And thank you so much to everyone who’s already placed an order! :)

Is there a fudge deadline? I was thinking of ordering a few bags for my nearest and dearest, but OBVIOUSLY won't get round to it for a little while yet.