Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh gently caress!

My first 5* artifact! Just got a Gladiator's Longing while fighting the cryovine. Neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm probably not gonna invest resources into Zhongli until they rework Geo or they just straight up make him OP. But boy does he make mining fun! I may actually do daily ore runs now.

And of course, I'll send him on expeditions too so that I can imagine that he's doing it in style.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Roland Jones posted:

Bit of a tangent, but while Klee, Diluc, and Keqing rightly get most of the focus here, I'm actually curious if one could consider Razor part of the problem here too. After all, he's a 4* who outdamages most 5* characters

The problem with nerfing the big three is (like most nerfs ever) it just hamstrings options to make people feel better. There are underlying problems that mean you can only beat Diluc/Klee by making a better Diluc/Klee. If ZL came out of the gate smashing out that level of damage then addressing issues with Geo would only make him stronger and now you're really screwed.

This is all fixable with adjustments to reactions and probably a hard look at how Anemo/Geo work, not to mention adding in a lot more 4*s that make it so pyro isn't THE element. That's going to take time, though, and in the meantime any 5* that isn't on par is going to get trashed.

If Ganyu launches as just Ice Amber poo poo is gonna get weird.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bloody Emissary posted:

I would have guessed Albedo first, honestly, since the Dragonspine event sword purportedly gives him a special bonus and I expect January's big event to be Dragonspine.

Maybe he'll be obtainable through the event while Ganyu will be on the limited banner? Getting a free 5*, even a Geo one, would certainly make the playerbase hopeful after the mixed reception Zhongli's had.

Albedo being first would make sense but I feel like they wouldn't do two banner geo 5* units in a row. I guess we'll see in a few weeks though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 3, 2020

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
All this nerf talk reminds me of the Last gacha game I played for a year and dropped for Genshin. It released a ridiculous caster. Droprate on the banner was 0.8% I recall anyway instead of any sort of balance, new hard content was released with immunity to light/dark magic to balance Lilly. Only last few months have had new casters comparable added to the game.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh boy, so it only took two months until: "Make my pulled character the BEST, they DESERVE IT".

Meh. I'll pull Ganyu even if she's cryo Amber, because she's cute. loving power gamers in a game where you can clear basically any content with any characters.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gacha gamers are notoriously broken people. Yes I'm including all of us. :shepface:

Anyways I'm vaguely curious about the concept of Zhongli being a support for Chongyun for Even More CC & Shatter. It's probably overkill but the idea is still fun in my head.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think besides Diluc being a chase statgod, its more that claymores and elemental normals are so busted that other types of attack cannot compete at all.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Welp, C1 Zhongli and still no Chongyun constellations :shepicide:

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Oh boy, so it only took two months until: "Make my pulled character the BEST, they DESERVE IT".

Meh. I'll pull Ganyu even if she's cryo Amber, because she's cute. loving power gamers in a game where you can clear basically any content with any characters.

I mean, I think his kit is fine in a vacuum. But it's fair to say he suffers from the poor balancing of elemental reactions, where Geo has the shortest stick (and to a lesser extent the underdeveloped roster of polearms). This isn't just a Zhongli problem, it's going to be a problem going forward for every new character released to varying degrees depending on how not-Pyro they are. You don't have to be a powergamer to feel like the game neglects your preferred characters while showing favoritism to others.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gandlethorpe posted:

Welp, C1 Zhongli and still no Chongyun constellations :shepicide:

I mean, I think his kit is fine in a vacuum. But it's fair to say he suffers from the poor balancing of elemental reactions, where Geo has the shortest stick (and to a lesser extent the underdeveloped roster of polearms). This isn't just a Zhongli problem, it's going to be a problem going forward for every new character released to varying degrees depending on how not-Pyro they are. You don't have to be a powergamer to feel like the game neglects your preferred characters while showing favoritism to others.

I have Diluc, Venti and Childe that I am not using and I don't feel my gameplay suffering; and I also enjoyed Zhong Li's gameplay during the event tryout. If anything, it's more interesting than "clear everything in ten seconds" I can see done all the time.

Feeling other characters are favorited is just brain worms. My characters are favorited by being cuter and having more varied and interesting gameplay, if anything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

The abyss is literally the only place in the entire game where the balance starts to matter and that's like the definition of powergamer content. The only reason geo is "bad" is because the abyss is a time attack so DPS > All. If clear time isn't the biggest consideration then Geo is fine because shields are actually really good. It is a bit boring that all geo reactions are the same though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 3, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I've been watching just3c on youtube a bit lately; he has like three years in Honkai Impact and plays a bunch of other gachas as well. His take on Zhong Li is that in mihoyo games if you don't have good damage numbers there's nothing that can save you, and defensive stats on non-healers are useless. All the endgame content is all about dps because it's always on a timer in mihoyo games. If you take too much damage just reset. Mihoyo doesn't really buff characters either but they tend to introduce content that's made to make your shiny new 5* feel strong (see current abyss buff). Expect a lot of powercreep in the future though because currently abyss 12 is mainly a gear check and almost anyone can beat it even with severely gimped team comps as long as you're kitted out. The only reason abyss 12 is difficult is because it takes months of resin to get the gear to do it and it's only now that non-whales are starting to get to the point where they have enough resources to do it.

Andrast posted:

The abyss is literally the only place in the entire game where the balance starts to matter and that's like the definition of powergamer content. Like, the only reason geo is "bad" is because the abyss is a time attack so DPS > All. If clear time isn't the biggest consideration then Geo is fine because shields are actually really good. It is a bit boring that all geo reactions are the same though.

The shields could be useful in abyss too by giving you more margin for error but abyss damage is so high the shields are nowhere near strong enough to actually matter. You still need a healer, and healers are strong enough for shields not to matter anymore.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 3, 2020

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

YoshiOfYellow posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/k5ltyl/were_not_saying_zhong_li_is_bad_just_to_make_you/

Reddit is loving wild man. Zhongli is bad and this is inexcusable because of investment.

It's scary how susceptible people are to FOMO and buyer's remorse, but I guess this is exactly the kind of people gacha's prey upon.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Balance doesn't have to just refer to Abyss. A huge element (heh) of the game is building a party that synergizes well and feels awesome to play, even if the content can theoretically be done by 4 Ambers autoattacking. Geo's synergy is limited completely to creating shields that may as well not do anything because the game's so easy right?

Then there's also the existence of enemies that are nearly invulnerable without using a certain element to neutralize their shield. Missing out on the counter element means you're gonna have a bad time, and it just so happens Geo doesn't counter those shields. So why bother playing a Geo character if they don't specifically help you fight anything and their reactions are boring? It's a game design issue where 1 of the 6 categories of playable characters is just inherently not taken into account for the vast majority of the game's content. Now you might say Ningguang is both fun and effective. She is in spite of her element, as the only character truly capable of pewpewing things to death.

If you've played certain domains where triggering a certain reaction punishes you with a blast of damage, that's a disincentive to play that element. Now imagine that not being limited to a domain, and instead of taking damage you take forever to kill things.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 3, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Balance doesn't have to just refer to Abyss. A huge element (heh) of the game is building a party that synergizes well and feels awesome to play, even if the content can theoretically be done by 4 Ambers autoattacking. Geo's synergy is limited completely to creating shields that may as well not do anything because the game's so easy right?

Then there's also the existence of enemies that are nearly invulnerable without using a certain element to neutralize their shield. Missing out on the counter element means you're gonna have a bad time, and it just so happens Geo doesn't counter those shields. So why bother playing a Geo character if they don't specifically help you fight anything and their reactions are boring? It's a game design issue where 1 of the 6 categories of playable characters is just inherently not taken into account for the vast majority of the game's content. Now you might say Ningguang is both fun and effective. She is in spite of her element, as the only character truly capable of pewpewing things to death.

If you've played certain domains where triggering a certain reaction punishes you with a blast of damage, that's a disincentive to play that element. Now imagine that not being limited to a domain.

All the elements feel good and fun to play imo. I don't think the enemy shield thing is great design and there are definitely balance issues there but I think you are really overstating the effect that it has. It becomes more of a problem if you want to run multiple geo/anemo units in the same team but otherwise it's really not a big deal.

also geo shields are good

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 3, 2020

kater
Nov 16, 2010

it's really not hard to make a good geo character they already have twice.

hell traveler geo has an amazing kit too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kater posted:

it's really not hard to make a good geo character they already have twice.

hell traveler geo has an amazing kit too.

Yeah if the constructs weren't so huge and climbing poo poo in combat wasn't so buggy/annoying I'd really like geo traveler

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I really like the resonance thing with geo traveler's rocks. It's a fresh way to play just literally littering the field with debris. I hope future geo characters either drop more poo poo or build more things. The element that changes the battlefield would give geo more of a niche. How well that works is solely dependent on their tech though. Bosses just break em after all.

Still, something passive. Even the traveler rocks can be used as mines. More of that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

'i dont really want to pull on this banner but im close to 4 star pity might as well see if i get someone cool'

game:

edit oh god this is my second one.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I enjoy playing Zhongli, I think he feels great. I dunno about his power level because I haven't done deep Spiral Abyss yet. He doesn't get the sick deeps going, but I never expected him to, that's not his forte.

Making content that makes shields matter isn't that hard, e.g. Leyline Disorder: any HP damage taken by a character is lethal. Dunno if it's ever happening, I'm just saying that if mihoyo wants to make defensive comps good in the future they can definitely do so.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Enhance 8 5-star artifacts to Lv. 20.

Lol yeah I'll get right on that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

kater posted:

'i dont really want to pull on this banner but im close to 4 star pity might as well see if i get someone cool'

game:

edit oh god this is my second one.
Favonious Lance is really good on Xiangling and is probably good on Zhong Li. I switched off Crescent Pike for it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Heran Bago posted:

Enhance 8 5-star artifacts to Lv. 20.

Lol yeah I'll get right on that.

Yeah just don't worry about it, there aren't any more pages after that one anyway.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

You get Zhongli for big shields and petrify. Everything else is extra and even then Crescent Pike Zhongli damage tests have him only like 2 seconds slower than Electric Keqing against Childe.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think people are mainly upset about Zhongli because he is a major story character who looks cool and everyone likes and is meant to be a god, so it feels bad when he doesn't reflect that mechanically. People probably wouldn't give much of a poo poo if it was Albedo.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJ posted:

I think people are mainly upset about Zhongli because he is a major story character who looks cool and everyone likes and is meant to be a god, so it feels bad when he doesn't reflect that mechanically. People probably wouldn't give much of a poo poo if it was Albedo.

Isn't big part of his powers gone now, after he gave them to Signora? Like with Venti, the godly power is mostly gone story-wise, or am I interpreting it wrong?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I haven't used Venti in a while but upon unlocking the last tier of domains I swapped him back in and drat does he trivialize them. Lets you punch way above your weight with the suck, cc and constant reactions. My team generates so many orbs that he can just cast it on cooldown every single time

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Isn't big part of his powers gone now, after he gave them to Signora? Like with Venti, the godly power is mostly gone story-wise, or am I interpreting it wrong?

He's no longer a literal god but he's still strong. Either way she also stole Venti's power and look how that turned out.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
is it just me or does it look like that floating island is getting closer?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
That's an actual place!

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I think the island is closer or bigger in Liyue than in Mondstadt.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
people call ganyu ice amber like it's a bad thing, but if amber's charged shots hit for 500+% ATK damage with a flat 20% crit boost amber would never leave my party either

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd honestly whale for ganyu if she had quick application of frost for klee to exploit. Dont even care about the actual damage numbers since klee is a known factor

Im talking going for c2 at least

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 3, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Reiterpallasch posted:

people call ganyu ice amber like it's a bad thing, but if amber's charged shots hit for 500+% ATK damage with a flat 20% crit boost amber would never leave my party either

After the Zhongli debacle I'm never gonna rely on honeyhunterworld stuff for character roles since Mihoyo appears to be explicitly testing a variety of things before settling on a design.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
all the beta people i know were saying that zhongli is a pretty okay defensive support for ningguang parties and not really worth it otherwise?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

Sure - but if I'm reading the mechanic correctly, you'll have to charge the shots for even longer (and charging feels rather slow already). I'm not convinced this will be better sustained damage than razor autos. Given that the C6 lets you sometimes not charge an arrow I think the charge speed might be extremely onerous.

This does explain why her E is what it is - you'll be standing still for a really long time so it's a dash without using stamina.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 3, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah we've had Childe get his ascension bonus changed and now an additional effect dropped from the initial leaks of Zhongli's burst. not to mention Xiao and Ayaka disappearing so hard you have to imagine they'll come out totally different.

Mihoyo going after leaks with an iron fist is very much in line with at least reducing what we're seeing with Zhongli now where some of the hype was built on leak impressions.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's leaked beta footage going around which certainly makes ganyu's full charge look about as fast as amber's, though i wouldn't be surprised if she got a nerf before release because, uh, diluc does 612% on his ult at level 7 if he sweet spots it.

please do not dump all your gems or real money when her banner shows up based on a weeks-old one line post on the something awful forums without doing due diligence

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Going off of this footage, it's a bit longer but not by much (maybe half a second?):

https://twitter.com/Nepnep_Impact/status/1332962211451580418

The level 1 is the amber-length charge, then there's a circle that encloses on the arrow which is the bloom activating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

uh excuse me im dumping all my gems and money when her banner shows up because horns.