Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why the gently caress is Dead Rising not on Switch still. Come on Capcom.

Watch a finger curl on the monkey's paw and get the Wii version :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch a finger curl on the monkey's paw and get the Wii version :unsmigghh:.

Honestly this would be so outrageous that I couldn't get mad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dip Viscous posted:

It's far from the best of the series, but if Natsume still has the publishing rights to the old games and could put the original on SNES Online I'd probably sink a few dozen hours into it.

I probably would too. It's far from the best as you say, but it's far from the worst too!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why the gently caress is Dead Rising not on Switch still. Come on Capcom.

Would pay full price for DR2:OTR

I want to experience portable Frank On Vacation

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Am I bad at games or are the motion controls for Mario odyssey really... bad in handheld mode? It feels like the game wants me to use Wii nunchuck levels of movement which is super not comfortable when they're effectively stuck into the screen. I'm pretty early in the game so maybe the things I'm running into aren't essential controls or whatever but it seems really odd.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Wow, A Short Hike is really good! I got it on sale a couple of days ago but the full price of $8 is totally worth it for a relaxing, fun time for a couple of hours.

I cannot stress enough that anyone who does not own this game should buy and play it immediately.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Wildtortilla posted:

I finally found something in BOTW that I don't like: flying guardians. Why? I can't lock onto them. No matter the distance between me and these fuckers I can't lock onto them to parry their shot. I don't know what to do in this situation so I rage quit.
Good news: you don't need to actually be locked on to parry something, you can parry a guardian laser from across the map if you get the timing right.

Bad news: because those fuckers wobble so much, a good chunk of the time you'll parry them and the beam will smack them in the body instead of the eye, and only do like 1/5th the damage.

Better news: they're astoundingly dumb and blind by guardian standards and you can lose them with a brisk walk, so gently caress it

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Am I bad at games or are the motion controls for Mario odyssey really... bad in handheld mode? It feels like the game wants me to use Wii nunchuck levels of movement which is super not comfortable when they're effectively stuck into the screen. I'm pretty early in the game so maybe the things I'm running into aren't essential controls or whatever but it seems really odd.

Yeah swinging the whole Switch around is goofy as hell, luckily you rarely ever actually need to use motion controls. It was obviously designed with the Joycons or pro controller in handheld mode.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've been replaying Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom and this game is just pure gold all the way through. Just a wonderful experience and I'm amazed that it exists at all

Here, have a lost Bloodstained song (from the same composer, even)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPXOm4_nVU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My problem with the flying guardians was at the Akala Tower, they buzz around it. My solution end up being using all three Revali'a Gale charges to bypass all the bullshit. That tower is swarming with black bokoblins and moblins a d flying guardians.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

My problem with the flying guardians was at the Akala Tower, they buzz around it. My solution end up being using all three Revali'a Gale charges to bypass all the bullshit. That tower is swarming with black bokoblins and moblins a d flying guardians.

I love how they put that tower so that you have to pass it on your way to the Akala laboratory. You can skip it and go get the ancient arrows from Robbie and then come back, but most new players won’t know that. It forces you to learn how to deal with them before you get the one shot solution. And that owns and is good game design.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Only read the last couple of pages, so I'm sorry if I missed anyone who already asked the same thing, but are there any news regarding NES/SNES releases for Switch Online? Is this going to be another Wii-situation, where they drop the concept without any warning? I'm just hoping we'll get some Capcom or Konami stuff, but I fear they're too hard to dance with for Nintendo after all these years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

THE BAR posted:

Only read the last couple of pages, so I'm sorry if I missed anyone who already asked the same thing, but are there any news regarding NES/SNES releases for Switch Online? Is this going to be another Wii-situation, where they drop the concept without any warning? I'm just hoping we'll get some Capcom or Konami stuff, but I fear they're too hard to dance with for Nintendo after all these years.

We'll likely never see any of the flagship Capcom/Konami titles available, due to them being already released commercially on the eshop.

Megaman, Castlevania, and Contra are either never going to be on Switch Online, or not until years and years later.

I'm betting on never.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Wildtortilla posted:

Or be like me and glide straight to the top of the tower all the way from the summit of death mountain. I'm 100% convinced this was an intended route by the designers given how perfectly the glide path lines up.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 3, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Heath posted:

I've been replaying Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom and this game is just pure gold all the way through. Just a wonderful experience and I'm amazed that it exists at all

Here, have a lost Bloodstained song (from the same composer, even)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPXOm4_nVU

I really liked this game, generally speaking, but the difficulty from the volcano onwards ramps up in such a frustrating way that it made me consider putting it down for good on more than on occasion. The volcano in particular was such an annoying experience.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Morpheus posted:

I really liked this game, generally speaking, but the difficulty from the volcano onwards ramps up in such a frustrating way that it made me consider putting it down for good on more than on occasion. The volcano in particular was such an annoying experience.

Wow, my thoughts exactly. I want to get back to it but bleh

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But Gods and Monsters comes out tomorrow and it's also a blatant BotW ripoff.

I hadn't heard of this at all so I looked it up and they changed the name to "Immortals: Fenyx Rising" which makes it sound like a bottom-of-the-barrel mobile game and the UI isn't helping at all in that regard.

I guess it's F2P - how are they planning to make money on this? Pay to win?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I love how they put that tower so that you have to pass it on your way to the Akala laboratory. You can skip it and go get the ancient arrows from Robbie and then come back, but most new players won’t know that. It forces you to learn how to deal with them before you get the one shot solution. And that owns and is good game design.

So much of this game is great design! I died like 5 or 6 times trying to same approach to a moblin and bokoblin in my way. I climbed a ledge and would surprise them, but inevitably gently caress up and die to one of them or the nearby flying guardian. When I picked it up later last night I was like, "what a second, this is BOTW, there are like ten other ways to get around this." Then I whooshed up the mountain and half way up the tower courtesy of Revali.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Or be like me and glide straight to the top of the tower all the way from the summit of death mountain. I'm 100% convinced this was an intended route by the designers given how perfectly the glide path lines up.

I haven't been to Death Mountain yet! I need to get some more heat resistant clothing first, but I don't remember where any of it it and I'm too stubborn to look at a guide because bumbling around this game on your own agenda is too much fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Guys I got a confession...

I don't care if a game is a blatant ripoff of another game. If Fenyx Immortals or whatever is cool, and it reminds me of BotW, an awesome game that only *checks notes* one other company has tried to emulate so far, then I'm going to want to check it out.

If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. If it's a good game that's very similar to BotW, then it's a good game.

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't been to Death Mountain yet! I need to get some more heat resistant clothing first, but I don't remember where any of it it and I'm too stubborn to look at a guide because bumbling around this game on your own agenda is too much fun.

Small spoiler about where heat resistant clothing is: it's somewhere on Death Mountain. So you gotta find another way to get to it!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

suuma posted:

I hadn't heard of this at all so I looked it up and they changed the name to "Immortals: Fenyx Rising" which makes it sound like a bottom-of-the-barrel mobile game and the UI isn't helping at all in that regard.

I guess it's F2P - how are they planning to make money on this? Pay to win?
You get it confused with Genshin? Immortals is a full price game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Apparently the latest system update turned data sharing back on

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I climbed Death Mountain by burning through my food stash and Metal Gearing my way from hot spring to hot spring.

BOTW is great.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I don't care if a game is a blatant ripoff of another game. If Fenyx Immortals or whatever is cool, and it reminds me of BotW, an awesome game that only *checks notes* one other company has tried to emulate so far, then I'm going to want to check it out.

If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. If it's a good game that's very similar to BotW, then it's a good game.

Small spoiler about where heat resistant clothing is: it's somewhere on Death Mountain. So you gotta find another way to get to it!

I'm pretty eager to check out Fenyx Immortal too, but since it's an Ubisoft game I'm sure it'll go on sale soon and then be on sale frequently. But I'm super excited to read impressions to know whether or not it should go on a wishlist.

I have a stockpile of Cold Darners so I should be able to mix up plenty of elixirs and head into Death Mountain.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cartoon Man posted:

I never fired a single ancient arrow in the game because I'm a helpless ammo hoarder in games and what if I need it for a boss later :ohdear:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We'll likely never see any of the flagship Capcom/Konami titles available, due to them being already released commercially on the eshop.

Megaman, Castlevania, and Contra are either never going to be on Switch Online, or not until years and years later.

I'm betting on never.

Ah well. It just stings like it did with the Wii, them not really delivering on this one thing that's important to me. I guess some of it is for sale, as you said.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Morpheus posted:

I don't think it's even really fair to criticize it as a ripoff. It's not like Breath of the Wild didn't take lots of elements from Ubisoft open-world games. The series are in dialogue with each other. If Ubisoft takes this opportunity to incorporate the best elements of Nintendo's open world game into its own series, so much the better.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

homeless snail posted:

You get it confused with Genshin? Immortals is a full price game

Oops, I guess I did.

Google said it was free but it turns out it was referring to a demo :v:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Rosalie_A posted:

I climbed Death Mountain by burning through my food stash and Metal Gearing my way from hot spring to hot spring.

BOTW is great.

If you drop some eggs into those hot springs they'll hard boil and give extra health.

BOTW is great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just wish the Legacy collections were a bit more consistent with emulator features, MM1: save state wherever you like, MM2: save states only at checkpoints, MMX 1+2: no save states gently caress you, MMZ: no save states but we'll add in optional more frequent checkpoint saves.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Morpheus posted:

I don't care if a game is a blatant ripoff of another game

Great news! I don't think anyone else cares either! I'm trying to remember when I last heard an adult accuse a video game of being a rip off and yep not ringing any bells

Heck I haven't seen Nintendo care about rip-offs either, not sure where that idea comes from. Their games sell just fine no matter how many clones people try to crank out

As for immortals phoenix wright, I saw some videos on it and the plot / humor seemed pretty terrible. But hey if the game is fun the game is fun

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

KingSlime posted:

Great news! I don't think anyone else cares either! I'm trying to remember when I last heard an adult accuse a video game of being a rip off and yep not ringing any bells

clearly you do not spend much time on the somethingawful.com games subforum

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Muscle Tracer posted:

clearly you do not spend much time on the somethingawful.com games subforum

Woosh

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

It's a testament to good game design that you can hack together a bunch of different ways to get to hard to reach places brute forcing it, and just following the main road and talking to people at stables will also give you tons of help if you get stuck without being too hand-holdy.

After my first play-through every time I restarted I rode around finding all the stables & nearby shrines at first.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

canyoneer posted:

I never fired a single ancient arrow in the game because I'm a helpless ammo hoarder in games and what if I need it for a boss later :ohdear:

Joke's on you because killing guardians with ancient arrows is the most efficient way to get the materials to make even more ancient arrows

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also Ancient Arrows don’t do anything the the 4-5 bosses, do they?

BotW may have permanently cured me of RPG item hoarding

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I always saved Ancient Arrows as a "gently caress you" if I started losing a fight.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Waffle! posted:

If you drop some eggs into those hot springs they'll hard boil and give extra health.

BOTW is great.

Holy poo poo I never knew that.

I love all the little things you can discover about this game.

I spent a few more hours in the game last night because of the discussion in this thread, and stumbled on this thing in Gerudo

https://www.polygon.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-guide-walkthrough/2017/3/30/15126920/how-to-beat-kill-a-molduga-mini-boss

Scared the poo poo out of mine, and nearly killed me until I climbed up to the little Oasis and found some bomb arrows, which is the games hint of telling me "hey dumbass, use these!" and that made quick work of it!

I never ran into this thing on my original playthrough. I just pointed in a direction on the map I hadn't explored much previously, and went there to see what I could find.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Cool, Cool Mountain is going to be my undoing. I'm trying to figure out how to get to the star after collecting the 8 red coins.

Since everyone seems to enjoy a good someone-playing-Mario64-for-the-first-time clip, here's how my latest attempt at returning to the red coin star went...

https://twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1334537527303106562

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Wildtortilla posted:

Cool, Cool Mountain is going to be my undoing. I'm trying to figure out how to get to the star after collecting the 8 red coins.

Since everyone seems to enjoy a good someone-playing-Mario64-for-the-first-time clip, here's how my latest attempt at returning to the red coin star went...

https://twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1334537527303106562

The end of the bridge at the bottom of your thumbnail is a secret teleporter, go stand still at the end of it and it'll take you somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I only used one ancient arrow and it was against the lynel in the castle. Turns out once he aggros you it's just Arrow-o-clock forever until you or it dies. So I made it go away forever