Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Reiterpallasch posted:

there's leaked beta footage going around which certainly makes ganyu's full charge look about as fast as amber's, though i wouldn't be surprised if she got a nerf before release because, uh, diluc does 612% on his ult at level 7 if he sweet spots it.

please do not dump all your gems or real money when her banner shows up based on a weeks-old one line post on the something awful forums without doing due diligence

I've converted my retirement savings to primos based on your post. Genshin Impact will get me through my twilight years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm just pulling every time I have enough primos.to and I get what I get. Abyss is ehhh to me and all the other content is doable with all the characters so yeah! :justpost: but, like, pull. I know it's a gacha so there are plenty of brokebrains, but there's not any content you can't access in the game at the moment by not having x,y, or z character.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

'i only pull on banners i want' - quote from idiot that has gotten every limited 5 star since they started playing.

fully expect to end up with zhonger despite everything.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I really want Zhong but I do not think I need him since I have a C5 Nin he just would not fit in anything I can build. I am close to pity on the limited banner (Was greedy after getting my C1 Childe in under 30 pulls) and I have Razor at C1 or 2 Chong C1 and the new fire girl at C2. Guess I should just horde my gems and wait for a better limited banner to use my pity on.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I pulled zhong because he is cool and idgaf if hes the best pokemon in the world or not

like it would be cool if all the complaining got them to buff him but i'll probably use him either way

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

also I think people really undervalue geo shields in general, just having that free +3k barriers popping up all the time is super useful especially when you're not playing like an ELITE PRO GAMER dodging every single hit, hell take ning to that stupid rear end cold dungeon that doubles your cooldowns and she keeps the team alive better than any healer

Kale
May 14, 2010

TheFluff posted:

gacha brain requires new op stuff to roll on with short intervals to keep skinner box stimuli going

playing a gacha game isn't about playing the actual game itself, it's about having the biggest collection of the most valuable waifu jpegs

I've been sort of following this games trajectory trying to get more of a handle on gacha brain and because it's free to play and it's hard not to notice this. Despite being pretty into JRPG's for decades now, I've never really been all that attracted to gacha games largely because I consider the lot of them to be mechanically similar re-skin type affairs of established popular franchises. I've tried FFRK whose extremely rare non-character based gacha system of instead making it about getting the characters better ultimate abilities has led me to stick with it. It also doesn't seem like it's constantly and aggressively pushing me to use it's gacha system every couple weeks with some new "must have" type thing. I've also tried Fire Emblem Heroes but it's constant turn over of and explicit gacha banner focus versus focus on actual map/challenge content led me to lose interest around the time the 3rd book came out despite playing every traditional Fire Emblem game to date and it being among my favorite video game franchises of all time.....it still just didn't do it for me. I prefer the traditional method of getting characters in FE games too and figure Heroes misses the point entirely.

I haven't really sunk terribly much time into this game at all despite downloading it several weeks ago cause like in my mind I actually REALLY need to see how things shake up first because of how Fire Emblem Heroes (I never spent a dime on this game I should mention as well and got every character I ever attempted to get, it just didn't do it for me on a game front and felt like there was never anything to do) went for me. I'm also playing other stuff and for me the compulsion to use it's gacha system let alone deep dive into it just isn't close to there yet, whereas for a lot of other people it's really hard not to notice how they just seem to buy right into the whole gacha hype banner thing and buzz surrounding this game without even really thinking about or questioning things. It's not even like I have anything against the whole battle waifu/husband design aesthetic thing, like again as a guy that's played JRPG stuff since high school and used to be pretty into anime stuff before trends shifted away from the things that I was into most such as science fiction, I'm pretty used to it all and I can at least understand the base aesthetic appeal of characters like Mona, Keqing or Zhong Li, but......the compulsion to just "roll like a bitch" as I've described the gacha brain mentality to my friends, or to even spend real world money on in game currency to do so just is not there.

I'm a pretty big Saori Hayami fan, her character Ayaka is coming out next in this game I believe.....compulsion just isn't there, though there's a chance that is when I take time to deep dive a bit more and try to see what happens with free in game currency and if I can end up with the character, and if I don't it's just like so be it, plenty of other "waifu" style characters out there in JRPG's voiced by this person, like there's a good chance I pick up any random game to play and she's in there somewhere after all. Like I frankly just don't get how it could be any other way, in fact this thread which I casually browsed on a whim to see what goons have to say about this game is one of the rare times I've actually seen somebody talk particularly much at all about game/character mechanics with the game. It's really REALLY hard not to notice that for how much various game blogs and news sites have tried to marry themselves to this game taking off (IMO mostly cause it's free to play, has already made x amount of dollars and is thus topical, and they actually tried something different with the game concept part of things for a F2P gacha monetization game beyond the bog standard turn based RPG format) they all BARELY say anything of consequence about it or the characters where it counts and like what you'd expect if somebody is supposedly into something enough to write about it.

It's like very few people have really thought about it much at all (possibly because realistically they don't give a poo poo beyond garnering clicks or bragging about their collection while it's a hot topic and thus aren't capable of giving insight to begin with, which on some level I admit kind of annoys me as comes across as disingenuous), and it's just whatever the big new shiny is happening with it it seems that carries the puddle deep discussion, which in this case that indeed there is now a new character in Zhong Li. Most discussion of the game just seems to me to start and stop at whatever it's developer Mihoyo is looking to promote and I guess with gacha brain that's enough to allow things to take hold enough for people to spend money on a character that it turns out may apparently be quite lackluster gameplay wise and not even measure up to the mechanics of the supposedly lesser tier characters that were accessible at launch. It's the kind of stuff that would be helpful to know or consider before hand instead of just rushing into trying to get the new shiny but it really did not seem to come up much. Again it's hard for me to rationalize how people could roll first and think later that buyers remorse even has to come into the equation at all. Like you who buys or even gambles on something without knowing the value of that thing on either a general or even personal level?

Anyway I've admittedly sort of lost my train of thought, the ultimate point is that despite understanding the base appeal of the character types in this game to anime/RPG type otaku I really just do not get the mentality surrounding these types of games where players and the coverage of them often seem to blindly rush into matters and take stock PR marketing type stuff at absolute face value straight up front. It's something that for the sake of sheer curiosity and from a behavioral studies stand point I wouldn't mind getting more of a handle on. Like for me some company/streamer/blog writer or whatever is just never going to dictate what I should do with a game that demands real world money be spent on a randomizer mechanic to try to unlock a character, which to is a mechanic that by default warrants far more scrutiny and analysis from people than the game has even come close to receiving.

Like is that all I can expect from the coverage or mainstream "discussion" of this game from here on out. Here's this new character that's going to be in the game this week, here's what they look like, here's when you can get them....that's all....why are you still here , go boot it up and do the thing.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 3, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you wanted to buff geo and make it good you could remove the ability to restart individual floors in spiral abyss. Ofc this would drive everyone totally insane.

Sirbloody posted:

I really want Zhong but I do not think I need him since I have a C5 Nin he just would not fit in anything I can build. I am close to pity on the limited banner (Was greedy after getting my C1 Childe in under 30 pulls) and I have Razor at C1 or 2 Chong C1 and the new fire girl at C2. Guess I should just horde my gems and wait for a better limited banner to use my pity on.
I think C5 Ningguang is exactly when you'd want Zhong Li!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kale posted:

Again it's hard for me to rationalize how people could roll first and think later that buyers remorse even has to come into the equation at all. Like you who buys or even gambles on something without knowing the value of that thing on either a general or even personal level?

And this is why rolling by waifu factor (or husbando factor) is superior. Because you're not going to think "Awww, man, she's not as cute / he's not as cool as I thought", the design will stay the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No Wave posted:

I think C5 Ningguang is exactly when you'd want Zhong Li!

That’s exactly what I was thinking :shrug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

you get called a meta slave rear end in a top hat when you want to know what a character is good for before rolling on them.

As for those articles, they're written by template. There arent really any big sites trying to become the destination for genshin content which is a little weird tbh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This is not a collectathon gacha game, the rates just aren't there. The best way to play this is entirely F2P and rolling with the characters you can pull, its more challenging that way and legitimately can be funner than having a unit completely trivialize something. If you do like the game and would have more options available your best bet is spending the extra 5 bucks. Combined with dailies and other freebies you can expect around 40 pulls a month, that aint bad gacha wise for 5 bucks, its just that the rates for this game suck

But even if the rates suck, the sparking system doesn't. The probability to get a 5* skyrockets at the 70s mark and the pity carrying over through banner means you dont ever need to horde excessively. They have a trial system that lets you test out the characters before you even roll on them and story quests that let you bring in your own party as well. It gives you a good feel for the unit and whether or not you want to go in on them. Thats genuinely better than most other gacha games.

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

you get called a meta slave rear end in a top hat when you want to know what a character is good for before rolling on them.

As for those articles, they're written by template. There arent really any big sites trying to become the destination for genshin content which is a little weird tbh.

Sounds a lot like that taking a stand for willful ignorance factor that seems all the rage these days in social media/game type stuff. Like the situation where you actively get made fun of and/or insulted for trying to put even an ounce of thought into what you are doing/watching/playing instead of just shitposting memes or fanart and competing to see who can have the wildest most outrageous of takes.

And yeah it's pretty drat obvious with regard to those articles. I'm frankly not convinced they aren't just pre-written for them by company PR departments since they always seem to just be roughly the same thoughtless blurb ending with a reference linking back directly to a publisher or developers website to "learn more".

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is not a collectathon gacha game, the rates just aren't there. The best way to play this is entirely F2P and rolling with the characters you can pull, its more challenging that way and legitimately can be funner than having a unit completely trivialize something. If you do like the game and would have more options available your best bet is spending the extra 5 bucks. Combined with dailies and other freebies you can expect around 40 pulls a month, that aint bad gacha wise for 5 bucks, its just that the rates for this game suck

But even if the rates suck, the sparking system doesn't. The probability to get a 5* skyrockets at the 70s mark and the pity carrying over through banner means you dont ever need to horde excessively. They have a trial system that lets you test out the characters before you even roll on them and story quests that let you bring in your own party as well. It gives you a good feel for the unit and whether or not you want to go in on them. Thats genuinely better than most other gacha games.

I admittedly got to about the point or just after where you unlock the whole "wish system" and got a pretty good laugh at it how on the face of it needlessly convoluted and kind of bad it came across. Like for example the one gacha game that has ever really stuck with me in FFRK has two forms of currency that is pretty cut and dry. There's the in game mythril you get by winning battles or completing dailies as is standard and then there's the gems which you buy with real world currency and exchange directly and proportionally for pulls. 100 gems is equivalent to about 1 mythril. Then there was finding out about this games method which working back from the banner seems to have 2 mutually exclusive forms of currency in the event versus featured banners with intertwined versus acquaint fate. These I noticed after some befuddlement are acquired by exchanging the primogems you get for doing in game type challengs (standard practice and equivalent to the mythril in FFRK) at what appears to be a somewhat proportional rate (though 160 seems like an arbitrary number that must be based purely in some economical research to the benefit of the publisher), but of course cannot be used on opposing banners you need to consider carefully which to convert your primo gems to which is frankly just on it's face bad and only serves the publishers interest since obviously they're just gonna split the desirable characters from between the two types of fates.

THEN I noticed that the manner of acquiring primogems outside of doing in-game stuff which is obviously going to be limited is by exchanging Genesis Crystals which are bought with real world currency in bundles that are not even proportional to the 160 or 1600 primo gems needed to be exchanged for the acquaint fates (which again are exclusive to one another) to do a 1 or 10 pull and will leave you with left over ones that are basically useless until the next bundle purchase puts you in line again to exchange them for primogems. It's all super arbitrary and on the face of it bad to strictly benefit the publisher take and squeeze just a little bit extra out of people by compiling them to try to line it all up so they have as few leftover effectively useless genesis crystals as possible.

Such was my reaction to how insanely convoluted and non-proportional the exchange and currency system is for the game that I again had a pretty good laugh and figured that if I chose to continue playing the game that I would probably rarely see the wish menu as someone that intends to be full f2p and it killed even the 5% chance I might ever spend real money on the game. Not with that sort of system. And despite this immediate visceral reaction of basically laughing out loud at the economy system of the game it's another thing I have not seen come up at much if at all in news articles and discussion about the game and again like most games with a gacha system that aspect of things seems to just dominate the discussion about the game despite being on the face of it a pretty badly implemented one from a consumer perspective. I just don't get that either.

I do know about the whole "pity" system which is fairly rare, but the amount of hoops you seem to have to jump through in order to even exploit that doesn't strike me as explicitly worth it. Either you'd need to dedicate all your free time to min maxing your take on primo gems (I'm not sure how long you'd have to grind in order to exploit the something like 150K primo gems you'd need to exploit it as a F2P person but I figure the time would be well over a month) from the daily log in and in game challenge type hauls or you'd need to be a whale type player.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 3, 2020

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TheFluff posted:

I've been watching just3c on youtube a bit lately; he has like three years in Honkai Impact and plays a bunch of other gachas as well. His take on Zhong Li is that in mihoyo games if you don't have good damage numbers there's nothing that can save you, and defensive stats on non-healers are useless. All the endgame content is all about dps because it's always on a timer in mihoyo games. If you take too much damage just reset.
This is true and, to an extent, is true of most RPGs, especially action RPGs. Even in an MMO, you want to bring only as many healers and tanks as necessary to prevent a wipe and if they can deal decent DPS too, so much the better. There are modes I can envision that would advantage sustainability (roguelike style endless dungeons, horde survival modes), but Mihoyo doesn't seem to do that. You need to be able to do damage with a character or enable someone else to do damage. This is why Bennett and Jean generally beat out Qiqi despite Qiqi being an objectively better healer: They can do DPS or enable DPS and heal enough to get you through content; hell, Bennett can solo 12-3 thanks to the Pyro buff and his sustain. For everything else just dodge and if you gently caress up reset, there's no penalty to withdrawing in Abyss anyway.

If Zhongli steles had consistent particle generation he could serve as a DPS enabler for Ningguang or Noelle at least. That would not be the worst role combined with his shield. Unless that is bugged, though, he can't do that better than Geo Traveler can. Also his shield doesn't count for Noelle's healing which is unfortunate as that'd be a nice synergy.

kater posted:

I think besides Diluc being a chase statgod, its more that claymores and elemental normals are so busted that other types of attack cannot compete at all.
This is also true. Diluc and Razor have noticeably better multipliers on their normals than any other characters, and also high base ATK at their respective rarities and secondary stats that make them easier to gear. This means they scale harder for the same investment. If Wolf's Gravestone had a sword version, Kaeya would simply not get as much out of that lv90 base ATK and 70% ATK boost, because his swings do less damage per. Yes, they're faster, but it totally doesn't make up for Diluc, especially since his Skill is designed to work as an animation cancel that can itself be animation cancelled with his normals.

I have Diluc at lv89 with a lv86 WG and he has 3000 ATK with garbage crit stats. If my artifacts weren't trash he'd be critting for five digits on the regular, on his own, without anybody buffing him; add Xingqiu to Q and he'd be Vaporizing that even harder. And he doesn't need charged attack spam for optimal DPS like Keqing and Tartaglia and animation cancels with his dash less often due to a slower attack cycle and being able to tap E to cancel for free, so he always has stamina to dodge if he needs to. The only other DPS as stamina efficient is Ningguang and she can't do his numbers.

Plus he generates absurd energy and his Burst costs 40, and he's got an artifact set literally made for him, and he's Pyro so he's meta-favored and Bennett compatible. Literally his only downsides are that he sets himself on fire constantly in the overworld and knocks small enemies away, but neither of those matter in domains and Abyss.

He isn't necessary or anything but it's dumb that he's amazing when I have probably the worst imaginable substats and no 5 star Flame Witch circlet. Every point of ATK he gains pays off more, he suffers from ATK diminishing returns less, he can use every offensive stat including EM, and he enables his own optimal rotation. Investing in him just yields better returns than almost anyone else for less work. Childe needs great substats to be on his level and has to deal with a cooldown on his stance mechanics that puts a limit on his output; I like playing him more, but Diluc will be my first to 90 for a reason.

shimmy shimmy posted:

Pretty sure Rust is basically a 5* weapon on Childe, especially at that level of refinement. I'd get one of the other BP weapons probably.
Be wary of Rust, as it slightly nerfs melee charged attacks. The bonus to normals is worth it at higher refinements and if you have enough Crit the secondary not being a crit stat is okay. If his Crit is lacking the BP bow should still be considered.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I can't find anything other than forums posts by random gamers about the idea that it's "illegal" to nerf gacha characters in Japan.
I'm pretty sure that's a myth.

It's true that nerfs in gachas rarely happen, but I that's just due to business decisions -- in a game with frequent nerfs, consumers who hear a character is OP might be worried that he'll get nerfed in a month and so will be less likely to spend money trying to roll for him.
Epic Seven did nerfs and their solution to it was if they ever nerfed a character they'd give you the option to reset the character to bases and refund everything you'd invested in them, so there are ways that nerfs could happen in these games.

I don't expect Mihoyo to nerf much and I don't expect them to buff Zhongli. Beta testers said they felt he was weak and Mihoyo nerfed him even more. Either they know something we don't about upcoming content or they just decided it'd be better to release an undertuned 5 star than try to "fix" his issues in under 3 weeks while developing 1.2 and risk overtuning him. But in a game where Diluc and Venti exist, who cares if he's overtuned? I don't know, but his present state isn't a mistake, they made him worse than he was and released the worse version. They're not dumb enough to think this version is better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You get quite a lot for free, quite a bit more for $5 a month, even more for an extra $10 per month. Anything after that is enormously expensive.

I've bought 2 blessings and 2 battle passes and have gotten somewhere around 250 pulls since october. To buy another 250 pulls would cost me something like $400.

This game is kind to f2p and light spenders, it puts the screws on whales hard. If you're the kind of person who needs to get everything I would recommend staying away because you will get burned hard.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

the very simple answer to some of this is that a lot of players aren't super interested in unit mechanical strength beyond "are they functional," especially in an open-world type game where the core focus is just exploring and hitting buttons that make cool animations happen. not everyone was hype to roll for Zhongli because someone in beta might have said he was OP, a lot of them were because the character looks cool and they like him in the story etc. those people are shelling out for digital merch, not an abyss investment, and no amount of reddit posts about numbers is going to dissuade them because that is not their primary interest.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I just found a radical bug: If you dive onto a freezing crossbow hilichurl while wet, you can get frozen right before the hit lands and the damage from the dive just keeps hitting over and over again until you're unfrozen.

I think it is virtually impossible to do this on purpose during any useful fights but I did it twice while jumping from the little island in this pool:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I think Zhongli is good because I had a lot of problems with dying and now I don’t.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Diluc is lame so I don't want him

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

AweStriker posted:

I think Zhongli is good because I had a lot of problems with dying and now I don’t.

i think hes good because slamming meteors everywhere is exactly as satisfying as i imagined

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Corla Plankun posted:

I think it is virtually impossible to do this on purpose

Wait, with Zhongli and Barbara it might be possible to do this with any freezing enemy?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

You get quite a lot for free, quite a bit more for $5 a month, even more for an extra $10 per month. Anything after that is enormously expensive.
It's funny, I'd rather whale for resources and progression but they don't let me. I do feel that the Battle Pass is just selling you the flow of resources you ought to have been getting in the first place though, they're always insidious like that. It seems like great value because they're starving you, but I suppose if you have few characters you actually want to raise or are progressing slowly the BP feels like a rush of materials.

Corla Plankun posted:

I just found a radical bug: If you dive onto a freezing crossbow hilichurl while wet, you can get frozen right before the hit lands and the damage from the dive just keeps hitting over and over again until you're unfrozen.

I think it is virtually impossible to do this on purpose during any useful fights but I did it twice while jumping from the little island in this pool:
Also happens when you get stuck in geometry while plunging. Notably back when the infinite bush shake thing was unpatched you could wedge Klee (and only Klee) into a certain gap in a certain wall, plunge attack, and AFK while she generated infinite Matsutakes and Bird Eggs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Probably the biggest overstatement in GI is complaining that electro is weak. Electro charged scales totally sufficiently for non-whale use cases so far. My level 70 Fischl with 80 EM with a mostly +16 4 piece TF set deals 1200 twice with electro charged and my Oz only crits at 2400 (90% crit rate).

My gear would have to be insanely better for fire on water vaporize to actually perform better. Like I would have to spend thousands of resin just farming TF for vaporize to actually perform equally, let alone better. I'd need + 60 crit rate and something like +100 crit damage to even reach parity. If I actually had stringless electro charge would be even more ahead.

Nakar posted:

It's funny, I'd rather whale for resources and progression but they don't let me. I do feel that the Battle Pass is just selling you the flow of resources you ought to have been getting in the first place though, they're always insidious like that. It seems like great value because they're starving you, but I suppose if you have few characters you actually want to raise or are progressing slowly the BP feels like a rush of materials.
The BP is valuable because it's 9 pulls and a 4 star weapon for $10. The progression is a bonus.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

No Wave posted:

I've bought 2 blessings and 2 battle passes and have gotten somewhere around 250 pulls since october. To buy another 250 pulls would cost me something like $400.

This game is kind to f2p and light spenders, it puts the screws on whales hard. If you're the kind of person who needs to get everything I would recommend staying away because you will get burned hard.

I wonder if this combined with a big explorable world is what's netting them the success the have had. I don't mind chucking 5 bucks a month at the game and the BP is juuuuust tempting enough at 10 bux to do, and if nothing else, I don't go out to lunch one or two days and boom, that's my Genshin money. Past that, whales are gonna whale whatever the cost. So you get the benefit of keeping whales going while also providing a f2p player a pull every other day or so and a 5 bux a month player a pull every day. It's not a bad system.

Also, sorry if I came across as making fun of folks that are tactful in their saving and targeting banners and such. That's completely ok a d fine. I was more poking fun at the folks losing their absolute poo poo because the newest 5* isn't as powerful as other 5*s.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I honestly don't really understand chasing mechanical power super hard in a pay to win game. Seems like a terrible idea.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Andrast posted:

Diluc is lame so I don't want him

:emptyquote:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

Probably the biggest overstatement in GI is complaining that electro is weak. Electro charged scales totally sufficiently for non-whale use cases so far. My level 70 Fischl with 80 EM with a mostly +16 4 piece TF set deals 1200 twice with electro charged and my Oz only crits at 2400 (90% crit rate).

My gear would have to be insanely better for fire on water vaporize to actually perform better. Like I would have to spend thousands of resin just farming TF for vaporize to actually perform equally, let alone better. I'd need + 60 crit rate and something like +100 crit damage to even reach parity. If I actually had stringless electro charge would be even more ahead.
C6 Fischl with Childe or Xingqiu definitely isn't weak and I can see why they cap the Electro reactions. That said if the game has stat or power creep Melt and Vaporize will scale better so it could be a problem.

The other issue as I understand it is that much of the damage Electro reactions do is either weak or Electro itself, which causes issues against immunes or slimes, and Electro isn't great against most Abyss Mage shields so it lacks a role there like it has dealing with Fatui.

What people often overlook, however, is that Razor, Keqing, and C1 Fishcl have a degree of flexibility in being able to build for physical damage while themselves being 1/2 of a Superconduct. Basically just run Kaeya and you have a damage amp they can easily trigger (Fischl has issues due to how C1 works and Oz's CD but she can still do respectably).

Kale
May 14, 2010

YES bread posted:

the very simple answer to some of this is that a lot of players aren't super interested in unit mechanical strength beyond "are they functional," especially in an open-world type game where the core focus is just exploring and hitting buttons that make cool animations happen. not everyone was hype to roll for Zhongli because someone in beta might have said he was OP, a lot of them were because the character looks cool and they like him in the story etc. those people are shelling out for digital merch, not an abyss investment, and no amount of reddit posts about numbers is going to dissuade them because that is not their primary interest.

Again I totally get the "cool" factor well enough, but like to me I could play a given Tales game or any JRPG for that matter and there's probably some generically handsome character (maybe even with the same voice actor if you're into that sort of thing) with a story arc reasonably similar to Zhongli's in there that I could unlock simply by playing the game. That is my initial reaction to that sort of mentality.

Like it's not like these sorts of characters are explicitly rare commodities these days even though somehow it feels like the thinking that goes into "gacha brain" mentality treats them as if they are for whatever reason. The $70 or so dollar price (or $60 if your American) I'd pay to get a given 70-100+ hr RPG up front and unlock a character through the course of the game is probably far less than I'd have to play trying to get a character in this game (even though it's totally free to install and play otherwise) considering the cost of two 10 pulls in real world currency conversion seems pretty drat close to $70. Basically the only value return that is in my favor would be if I were to get a character I was aiming for in no less than 21 or so pulls otherwise I've effectively already overpaid at that point in a sense......at least from where I'm sitting.

To me if I'm going from a pure character aesthetics to value ratio outlook, then I'd rather just pay the $70 upfront and get the for sure thing I'm going to unlock through traditional methods as I play the game and not have to gamble to unlock a character and story arc. It's something I'll never get about the thinking and value assessments that go into these sorts of games. Like to me ANYTHING above the $70 dollar CAD mark spent on currencies used in trying to get a character will always just be overpaying and bad value because of how non-F2P JRPG games are priced in comparison.

Of course if your just playing this game totally 100% F2P and casually all of the above is inherently moot.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 3, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There are totally issues with enemy design for sure. Pyro is clearly the strongest element atm there's no question (the biggest offender being cryo slimes). I'm objecting to the idea that electro reactions are undertuned, the numbers seem mostly ok so far outside whale world.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 3, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kale posted:

Again I totally get the "cool" factor well enough, but like to me I could play a given Tales game or any JRPG for that matter and there's probably some generically handsome character with a story arc reasonably similar to Zhongli's in there that I could unlock simply by playing the game. That is my initial reaction to that sort of mentality.

Like it's not like these sorts of characters are explicitly rare commodities these days even though somehow it feels like the thinking that goes into "gacha brain" mentality treats them as if they are for whatever reason. The $70 or so dollar price (or $60 if your American) I'd pay to get a given 70-100+ hr RPG up front and unlock a character through the course of the game is probably far less than I'd have to play trying to get a character in this game (even though it's totally free to install and play otherwise) considering the cost of two 10 pulls in real world currency conversion seems pretty drat close to $70. Basically the only value return that is in my favor would be if I were to get a character I was aiming for in no less than 21 or so pulls otherwise I've effectively already overpaid at that point in a sense......at least from where I'm sitting.

To me if I'm going from a pure character aesthetics to value ratio outlook, then I'd rather just pay the $70 upfront and get the for sure thing I'm going to unlock through traditional methods as I play the game and not have to gamble to unlock a character and story arc. It's something I'll never get about the thinking and value assessments that go into these sorts of games. Like to many ANYTHING above the $70 dollar CAD mark spent on currencies used in trying to get a character will always just be overpaying because of how non-F2P JRPG games are priced in comparison.

Of course if your just playing this game totally 100% F2P and casually all of the above is inherently moot.
> 22 million people downloaded the game, the game has made $400 million dollars. You can do some rough math to see what % of the playerbase is actually succumbing to gacha brain.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

people call ganyu ice amber like it's a bad thing, but if amber's charged shots hit for 500+% ATK damage with a flat 20% crit boost amber would never leave my party either

Amber's Q may have a higher concentration of damage over time, but Ganyu's Q lasts 20 seconds?!

poo poo man. Drop that Ice Lotus, pop the Q, and watch enemies get pummeled.

Just because she's similar to Amber doesn't mean she'll suck like Amber.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kale, you don't need to spend 10k words saying "It's not for me" over and over again. I have like 5 vids of someone speedrunning a 5 star spending spree to really show that whales are not normal people, otherwise they would not play gacha.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
in the end it just comes down to peoples' personal money/fun calculus. like obviously gacha are predatory as hell, marketing exists to exploit consumers, the world is a vampire etc. but sometimes fully cognizant people are just willing to pay thousands of dollars for a figurine or some pixels, there is nothing you can do.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

No Wave posted:

The BP is valuable because it's 9 pulls and a 4 star weapon for $10. The progression is a bonus.

I thought crit rate caps at 80%.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

Again I totally get the "cool" factor well enough, but like to me I could play a given Tales game or any JRPG for that matter and there's probably some generically handsome character (maybe even with the same voice actor if you're into that sort of thing) with a story arc reasonably similar to Zhongli's in there that I could unlock simply by playing the game. That is my initial reaction to that sort of mentality.
but those characters arent in the game theyre already playing. they want the character they think is hot in the game they play. this isnt complicated

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
there's been an incredible breakthrough in the butt meta

https://twitter.com/Talentlesskun/status/1334358515478106112?s=20

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Trihugger posted:

I thought crit rate caps at 80%.
Was true in beta, is not true now. 100% Crit Rate will in fact cause all hits to crit.

Isn't worth it though unless you can also hit 200% Crit Damage, as it's less efficient than a proper balanced ratio. Also the existence of food buffs means you wouldn't want to gear up to 100% even if you could, since you'd go over cap.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

zhongli's deceptively small rear end

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Is there some base crit rate/damage if you have no artifacts or whatever, or do you start from zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Is there some base crit rate/damage if you have no artifacts or whatever, or do you start from zero?

5% rate and 50% dmg