Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking from ignorance here, is it that crazy easy? The stuff I saw online said it was like you do 133% damage and the XP and Macca are the same (notwithstanding the new DLCs) which doesn't seem that insane? Granted I have not seen footage online.

In that video posted up thread Matador does like 4 damage with his all hit attack and basically most enemies seem to miss. It's basically "story mode" which hey, if someone wants that more power to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In that video posted up thread Matador does like 4 damage with his all hit attack and basically most enemies seem to miss. It's basically "story mode" which hey, if someone wants that more power to them.

Oh wow. That's... quite different. I'll have to watch the video when I can but that is not what the blog I found reported. That's even safer than the P4/P5 Safe difficulties.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh wow. That's... quite different. I'll have to watch the video when I can but that is not what the blog I found reported. That's even safer than the P4/P5 Safe difficulties.

Dude in the video said he beat Matador on his first attempt, with no healing and no agility buffs/debuffs. So, pretty drat easy, it sounds like

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

The paid DLC is Dante from DMC and almost certainly is connected the licensing fee (Plus profit because capitalism)

In China and Korea his DLC is also an upgrade to Maniax/the international version, with the stuff like the Amala Labyrinth. Since they can't release Raidou there, and they don't have a guest-less Maniax, it's honestly a pretty clever solution.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

In China and Korea his DLC is also an upgrade to Maniax/the international version, with the stuff like the Amala Labyrinth. Since they can't release Raidou there, and they don't have a guest-less Maniax, it's honestly a pretty clever solution.

I was going to ask why and then was like "oh. Oh, yeah."

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh i heard that apparently it's not actually because of raidou, but because of the eshop rules over in that region or something?? :shrug:

e: coincidentally i was in a server that started talking about that a few days ago and someone brought it up! i decided to check a bit just now, and i couldn't find a concrete explanation about whether it's related to raidou (basically just speculated)

Booky fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 3, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I love SMT games but from Atlus deciding they are all more expensive on the 3ds for no reason to charging $60 + DLC costs for a not good remake of a ps2 game the stuff around the games is always sketchy

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's weird that they'd do a grinding dlc when there's both a new easier difficulty mode and the ability to change that mode at any time.

I think my main concerns about it at the moment is the price and the performance issues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The upshot is that they've at least acknowledged the performance issues and said they're looking into it.

Doesn't mean much until it's fixed, but it's..something at least.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I do think that Atlus' angle on DLC has always been a little bit mercenary. 'We know people will buy it, so we'll sell it'. Sure, grinding isn't actually necessary, but there's enough people that think it's necessary that a grinding DLC will make money. The reason Dante's the DLC while Raidou's the default is probably just as much related to the logistics of selling in China and Korea as it is 'we know more people would buy Dante as an extra than would buy Raidou'.

At the same time, though, I never actually mind. They're not really predatory about it, just pragmatic; you're never really missing out on much by not buying the DLC, and the DLC doesn't intrude on a game when you aren't interested. I'd prefer other types of DLC in their games, but if this is how they do it, they're using the right angles. Maybe I'd be madder if I were a fan of Devil May Cry, though, instead of 'I don't care and I never will, please stop giving it to me' frustrated-ambivalent.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

The reason Dante's the DLC while Raidou's the default is probably just as much related to the logistics of selling in China and Korea as it is 'we know more people would buy Dante as an extra than would buy Raidou'.

How about "we want to offset what we have to pay Capcom to license Dante out again".

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I do think that Atlus' angle on DLC has always been a little bit mercenary. 'We know people will buy it, so we'll sell it'. Sure, grinding isn't actually necessary, but there's enough people that think it's necessary that a grinding DLC will make money. The reason Dante's the DLC while Raidou's the default is probably just as much related to the logistics of selling in China and Korea as it is 'we know more people would buy Dante as an extra than would buy Raidou'.

At the same time, though, I never actually mind. They're not really predatory about it, just pragmatic; you're never really missing out on much by not buying the DLC, and the DLC doesn't intrude on a game when you aren't interested. I'd prefer other types of DLC in their games, but if this is how they do it, they're using the right angles. Maybe I'd be madder if I were a fan of Devil May Cry, though, instead of 'I don't care and I never will, please stop giving it to me' frustrated-ambivalent.

I got into SMT as a series because of Dante! I know people joke about how in your face it was but when I was 17 Devil May Cry 3 was basically my religion, and I saw a game with Dante in it on the cover and I liked RPGs so I picked it up. Nocturne came about before DMC3 did but I personally got into after DMC3.

I liked it a lot but Persona 3 is really the game that made me a diehard SMT fan, especially as I was in college at the time and would play a lot of DS RPGs so I wouldn't take up the 1 tv in the apartment with my roommates walking in and being like "what the gently caress is this poo poo"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

To be able to dress Nanashi up in full Gothic Lolita outfit which included wig, dress and stockings, I had to use the easy macca DLC for IVA even though I had saved up $1.000,000 Macca all game. That outfit is not negotiable so far as I'm concerned. They better let me be able to crossdress in SMTV, too.

Those Black Card shops really are bullshit, though. You definitely need the Macca DLC.

I can't recall the exact order I played SMT or Persona... Strange Journey was def my first SMT game but I might have played Persona 2 Innocent Sin before that. I didn't finish P2IS, though. I think I went and beat P3FES, Nocturne and P4G before I actually went back and finished IS. Glad I did. I think Nocturne is what made me a fan, though. Original SJ isn't that great but SJR propelled it up the ranks to one of my favorite SMT games.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You come in here every time to be like "The macca DLC is 100% necessary" despite you being, as far as I can tell, the only person in the thread with that opinion.

Which comes across as hostile when I don't intend it to be, but maybe consider that when the vast, vast majority of people don't have it, don't need it, and most of those agree that grinding isn't necessary either, it might be something about you instead?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I will fully admit that I bought most of the DLC for SMT 4. I don't think it was required or morally impure or whatever but I was mostly just interested in playing through the story as opposed to triumphing over the battle system which the grind DLCs certainly facilitated! Plus the green and black bug armor was cool.

My real sin is buying a lot of DLC for the dancing games of course.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I assume the easier difficuly mode was still too much so the dlc was an easier way out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

projecthalaxy posted:

My real sin is buying a lot of DLC for the dancing games of course.

But that remix of Break Out Of is so good!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXysv-_1X6w

don't even know what to say about this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atlus should let her play Persona 3 imo

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

Atlus should let her play Persona 3 imo

well, yeah. kinda bullshit that they have to seek pre-approval, per game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

John Lee posted:

You come in here every time to be like "The macca DLC is 100% necessary" despite you being, as far as I can tell, the only person in the thread with that opinion.

Which comes across as hostile when I don't intend it to be, but maybe consider that when the vast, vast majority of people don't have it, don't need it, and most of those agree that grinding isn't necessary either, it might be something about you instead?

They’re right, though. Prices on lots of items and on the Compendium in Apocalypse are quite high, and given both that there’s not a really good way to grind for money in-game and that there’s a money DLC, it’s hard not to think the DLC was a motivation for the high prices.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The money grinding DLC in IV let me quickly and easily dress Flynn up in the most garish of poo poo outfits (the truly garish poo poo was ALSO DLC, though). So it was good for that.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I got the alice costume for nanashi without DLC, like a man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nrook posted:

They’re right, though. Prices on lots of items and on the Compendium in Apocalypse are quite high, and given both that there’s not a really good way to grind for money in-game and that there’s a money DLC, it’s hard not to think the DLC was a motivation for the high prices.

I can't recall having to grind a single instance for money in Apocalypse. It's so easy to transfer stuff around that if you do have a skill you want to use a bunch just shove it on a pixie or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. I barely ever use the compendium at all in any of the games. I guess if you feel you always have to have perfect demons it might be a problem. But I don't think you ever really need a particularly well tuned team for the games unless your slaying secret bosses

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Having a perfectly honed team was pretty essential for YHVH.

But I was originally talking about the Black Card shops which have ludicrously priced equipment. The Gothic Lolita stuff is actually the cheapest or near the cheapest stuff. Some of the stuff there cost at least twice as much money as I made in the entire game before I used the Macca DLC.

Now, you could say you don't need all that awesome gear and that's technically true. But if the game offers you the best gear in the game, aren't you going to do whatever it takes to get it? I'm sure Atlus knew very well what they were doing by setting those prices so high and then offering an Easy Macca DLC.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
DLC is not essential, but I like having it anyway (I find it kind of relaxing honestly). It's like people saying you needed a perfectly honed team to beat Lucifer in Nocturne when that's not remotely true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Having a perfectly honed team was pretty essential for YHVH.

I honestly didn't need to perfectly hone anything for YHVH. By the time you get to him you're probably max level or close to it just from going through the final dungeon and any remotely capable demons are going to do their job well.

NikkolasKing posted:

But if the game offers you the best gear in the game, aren't you going to do whatever it takes to get it?

For a lot of people the answer to this is 'no' unless the super gear is so significantly better it changes the game entirely like the ultimate weapons in FFX. (And even then it's so trivial to craft something arguably better that it isn't really a big deal since it means you don't have to dodge 200 lightning bolts.)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm in the no DLC camp for SMT4 and Apocalypse. If something costs too much I'm normally like "Eh, I'll live without it."

Also for Apocalypse endgame, I personally found Satan to be way harder, because Satan didn't really have a gimmick. It was more DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH HP TO SURVIVE?? YOU BETTER LOL.

I also beat Nocturne's Lucifer without Pierce once and I do not recommend it. Same fight, but much longer, so the chances of getting unlucky is amplified.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly didn't need to perfectly hone anything for YHVH. By the time you get to him you're probably max level or close to it just from going through the final dungeon and any remotely capable demons are going to do their job well.

He can wipe out your entire party in one move, max level or no. Supernova with Smirk or maxed or normal stats is goodbye.

I'd have to check my notes but you want a pretty high base HP for everyone, too but I forget the exact number. A lot of my lovely demons like Izanami just couldn't cut it.
Debilitate on everyone or near everyone.
Magaon is one a lot of people I've seen don't have ready to go even though it is life or death against YHVH.
You can very easily miss out on Imposing Stance, a total lifesaver against YHVH or other bosses.

My team was Inanna, Krishna and Alilat who I made with Debilitate, Energy Drain , the Surges and Agidyne + High Fire Pieroma because why not. They also learn Null Phys, a beautiful move to hopefully make him lose a turn. I didn't want to use Krishna, I wanted to use Xi Wangmu because she's awesome and I wanted a Chaos team. But not enough HP. Inanna is luckily designed for the fight - High Mag, 4 Severe spells o 4 elements, Concentrate and Debilitate.

I spent all game preparing for that fight. Made sure I had maxed Debilitate, Imposing Stance and Magaon on Nanashi as soon as I could.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 4, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I mean, he's dangerous, but I don't think that level of prep is necessary. Definitely never had Imposing Stance on anyone - I had to actually Google what it was because I'd never seen it. Only one guy had Debilitate in my team and it wasn't maxed. Magaon is pretty mandatory, I agree, though I only had one copy too in the team I brought too. Though I'd argue Magaon is necessary or at least highly recommended for like, most of the game really, since around King Frost or so.

Yes, all those things make things easier and smoother. But necessary they are not, and I don't mean "Technically doable but a massive pain without" necessary, I mean real "You don't need to power up to those levels" necessary. Like how really expensive equipment are nice to have but not necessary.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1334738046831345664?s=19

A few days over a year to come over

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Video's been removed already, lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
So is scrambled a sequel to 5 or do i need to know how 5R went down?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
At one point someone pointed out Strikers might've been delayed intentionally so its release window didn't bump into Age of Calamity's. I'm still in 'I can buy that' mode on that explanation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Cleretic posted:

At one point someone pointed out Strikers might've been delayed intentionally so its release window didn't bump into Age of Calamity's. I'm still in 'I can buy that' mode on that explanation.

I can buy that, but 9 months from jp release wouldve still been bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MorningMoon posted:

So is scrambled a sequel to 5 or do i need to know how 5R went down?

To my knowledge it straight-up ignores the Royal ending.

Also, found the trailer reposted:

https://twitter.com/thetojodojo/status/1334740306995056641

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
whoops!

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1334741396658352128

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Arist posted:

To my knowledge it straight-up ignores the Royal ending.

Nice! Unless somehow im terribly disappointed with age of calamity (loved the demo and ill jump to it after beating yakuza lad), ill probs get into p5s at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MorningMoon posted:

I can buy that, but 9 months from jp release wouldve still been bad.

It would be, but it's also 'believable Atlus window' bad. It's kinda normal for them to have big delays, which makes sense since they make very text-heavy games and just don't have a very time-conscious localization process.

Maybe the fact that I'm Australian, and so had to deal with a seventeen month delay for SMTIV, means I'm not too shaken up about waiting.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 4, 2020