Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her actual costume being a sweatsuit would be great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Because of... her clothes?

She wears like a dozen different outfits in the comic this is based on.

Yea, its like when people were complaining about Kamala's outfit looking cheap, probably because she's wearing a halloween or homemade costume. WTF guys, do they expect the character to wear the costume from the comics from day 1. Commenter there being "we stan comics kate" what the hell does that mean? Its not like they made some stupid joke about how TV Kate won't wear purple.

You'd think if they loved Kate in the comics they'd love seeing her in live action. But there has always been a subset of fans that are very vocal that are just mr complainy pants about everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lotta white guys worried Renner is on his way out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the Avengers have less than 5 white guys that's genocide.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I think it's good when people can wear more than one outfit and it's weird how heroes are only ever allowed to wear one thing forever and ever

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

Personally I think it's good when people can wear more than one outfit and it's weird how heroes are only ever allowed to wear one thing forever and ever

More heroes need home, away, and alternate third jerseys. Even if it would make superhero comic books as a medium more confusing overall.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

Can’t sell new toys unless you change the costume up

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jesus loving christ

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1334565594625175554?s=10

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WB is just prepared not to make any money in 2021.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is basically Warner having zero confidence in the US movie market rebounding next year and relying on foreign markets/HBO Max subs to keep them afloat?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Lotta white guys worried Renner is on his way out.

Renner is the best audience surrogate for “completely forgettable and generic white dude” after all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

This is basically Warner having zero confidence in the US movie market rebounding next year and relying on foreign markets/HBO Max subs to keep them afloat?

It's Warner releasing direct to the Pirate Bay.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

howe_sam posted:

Pretty much.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

howe_sam posted:

It's that but it's also way worse, it's WB not only having zero confidence in domestic theaters, it's having zero fear of them -- because the threat was always "you go day-and-date on home release and we won't show your loving movies at all, ever again". This is WB saying "we truly, honestly, don't care if you show our movies or not any more, because we're not making any money from you guys anyway right now and movie theaters aren't how we plan to make money in the future".

It's an absolute bombshell move and it no-hyperbole may kill off movie theaters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The law that prevented studios from owning their own studios was struck down by the Trump admin. There's a couple of years of gradual phasing out, then it's gloves off.

Theaters failing right now is great news for the studios. Then they can buy them up for cheap and save a lot of deployment logistics.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CapnAndy posted:

It's an absolute bombshell move and it no-hyperbole may kill off movie theaters.

See, I tend to doubt that, because i just don't see how you replicate the box office gross of a Wonder Woman with HBOMax subs.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In the choice between make a bit of money next year or make no money next year...well, it's not really a choice for any business at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

See, I tend to doubt that, because i just don't see how you replicate the box office gross of a Wonder Woman with HBOMax subs.

They may not need to if all the money is going directly to them.

And it is more like "make money or don't make money."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

howe_sam posted:

I mean, you don't, but it's important to remember that for every Avengers: Endgame, there's five John Carters. The blockbusters have to subsidize every movie that flops, underperforms, or was just never going to pull in more than $50-$60 million even in the best case scenario. The studios are okay with trading that sort of boom-or-bust jagged revenue for the Netflix model of guaranteed income and using releases just to draw new subscribers and keep the ones you've got from unsubscribing.

Every studio's got access to the same data on viewer trends, and they've each made projections, and they've all been looking ahead to an all-streaming future for a while now -- that's why they all launched streaming services, that's why Fox put itself up for sale and was the subject of such an intense bidding war (Fox couldn't make the math work on a streaming service of their own but knew their IP and back catalog would be a huge boost to someone else). They just thought they had 5-10 years to make the transition.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

Yes, but beyond the short term, it means that they see HBO Max subscriptions as their most important revenue stream going forward (at least in the US) and that the loss of box office revenue is worth it in the long run if it gets subscriber numbers up.

it's also just not tenable for studios to keep delaying their entire release slates for months and months while they wait for something resembling normal moviegoing to resume in the US - not only are we a ways away from that point even with promising vaccine results, but there's already a massive backlog of delayed films originally dated for 2020 and earlier in 2021, which is only going to keep growing as film production has largely resumed.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 3, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Theaters failing right now is great news for the studios. Then they can buy them up for cheap and save a lot of deployment logistics.

Imagine an entire chain of El Capitan across the globe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Idg why choosing to hedge getting some money through streaming vs no one seeing it in theaters is a surprising move. Plus announcing all movies next year will come out will probably incentivize more people to stay subscribed the whole year instead of just buying in for a month or two

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

site posted:

Idg why choosing to hedge getting some money through streaming vs no one seeing it in theaters is a surprising move.
Because literally every studio's wanted to do this for years now but held off because they feared movie theater reprisal -- do you remember the shitfit that the chains threw when Universal put the new Trolls up day-and-date on PPV and how they had to eventually make nice? -- and now a studio's gone ahead and ripped the bandaid off and dared the theaters to do something about it, because they know and we know that nobody's going right now and the theaters have zero leverage. And not just any studio, but one of the biggest. And this might open the floodgates to everyone else pulling it too (Disney's got an investor call literally next week and they're certainly feeling the dual pressures of no theater revenue and also being in a uniquely bad position with the MCU because it's linear storytelling and delaying any one of them moves the entire slate back). And it also guarantees that the theaters will have a 2021 that, even if it's not as bad as 2020 was, will still be really loving bad and they're already in dire financial straits right now and were begging for bailout money even before this news hit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good. Maybe theaters can make it worth going to them since they have to compete with not doing that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Disney just puts their stuff on Disney+ now too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry I should rephrase, I don't get why anyone who's been conscious at any time since March finds this surprising

CapnAndy posted:

do you remember the shitfit that the chains threw when Universal put the new Trolls up day-and-date on PPV and how they had to eventually make nice?

No

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

their investor day a week from today is going to be very interesting, that's for sure. the most recent reporting I've seen from the Hollywood trades suggests that they're considering releasing Cruella and a few others from their 2021 slate on Disney+, but that they're still deluding themselves with respect to Raya, Black Widow, etc. we'll see if that's the case or if they're finally ready to embrace reality

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

They’re already beginning to do that and I expect that to increase now

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Firstly: I want this to happen in Canada.
Secondly: I don't want them to do what they did with Mulan and charge 20 freaking dollars to watch a movie in your own home.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Madkal posted:

Secondly: I don't want them to do what they did with Mulan and charge 20 freaking dollars to watch a movie in your own home.

Hey, that's not fair

it was 30 dollars

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

They didn't do that with Soul and it sounds like that did a bit better on the platform, but they also said they aren't done with that idea so who the gently caress knows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vince MechMahon posted:

They didn't do that with Soul and it sounds like that did a bit better on the platform, but they also said they aren't done with that idea so who the gently caress knows.

Soul hasn't come out yet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Soul hasn't come out yet.

Then what was the second thing they put out? Wasn't there one? Am I having a stroke?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I dunno, Artemis Fowl? Though I'd be surprised if that did well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This move makes perfect sense to me considering that Disney has spent the last decade slowly absorbing the entire theater infrastructure indirectly and that theaters are probably on their way out covid or not. I'm not really a fan of WB but I don't see this as a bonehead move at all. It's a calculated risk at worst.

Endless Mike posted:

Good. Maybe theaters can make it worth going to them since they have to compete with not doing that.

What's that, jack up the prices on snacks and underpay the staff more to increase the profit margins? You got it!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 3, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Then what was the second thing they put out? Wasn't there one? Am I having a stroke?

You’re thinking of Hamilton.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Some of my fondest memories was working in a movie theatre (though it was a bit of a boutique theatre before it got bought out by a major chain) and I do love the movie going experience and the excitement of seeing a movie you are really excited to see in a room with other people really excited to see that movie. That being said movie theatres have kind of gone to poo poo over the years. It took too long (here in Western Canada at least) to figure out assigned seating, the implementation of allowing hot food outside of popcorn into the theatres (which I am against) and charging 10 dollars more per ticket for a "VIP experience" that just means you get to have staff deliver a beer to your seat while you watch a movie that you spent 27 dollars per ticket on.
After Covid there is one or two independent theatres that I will still go see movies at (if they are still around), and I sympathize with anyone that works at a movie theatre and wanting a job there. I won't cheer the death of the movie theatre business as I think society would actually be a little worse without it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More Hawkeye news

https://twitter.com/joeotterson/status/1334596015123361792?s=21

Dalton was so good in Better Call Saul, I’m hyped.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Posted in the other thread too but Zahn McClarnon is in it too, that rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo Vera Farmiga.