Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

Jessica Jones premiered in her Marvel MAX series Alias where she's a hard drinking private detective who used to be a superhero.

well after that series ended, in an issue of New Avengers, well after she's married to Luke Cage and has a child with him she says when she was in high school she had a crush on Peter Parker. If there are any panels that exist showing them actually in high school together they were drawn after that issue.
for the record, these images showing jessica jones crushing on peter parker in high school pre-date that new avengers comic by six years.

but for absolute clarity, these images do not predate the marvel max series alias for which jessica jones was exclusively created for and debuted in, and in which these images appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

for the record, these images showing jessica jones crushing on peter parker in high school pre-date that new avengers comic by six years.

but for absolute clarity, these images do not predate the marvel max series alias for which jessica jones was exclusively created for and debuted in, and in which these images appeared.
That seems to be one Jessica Campbell, though? Also isn't Jess' hair naturally black?

I'll admit I've mostly seen her in the Netflix series though, so I'm not the scholar here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That is also not eyecandy and she absolutely wasn't

Cleretic posted:

created as one of Spider-Man's random classmates, there to color scenes and provide some early 'oooh maybe a girl likes Peter' color.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah i'm not disagreeing with you on that, but her in high school having a crush on peter parker isn't an invention of that new avengers comic - it's in the initial alias run and that new avengers comic is a call back to it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Obviously Gwenpool is referring to Jessica Jones' Jewel days, which were before she came into publication.

Alias introduced us to Jessica Jones as we know her. But before she existed? Total eye-candy.

Checks out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Push El Burrito posted:

Your dog believes America deserved 9/11.

Their dog is right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

yeah i'm not disagreeing with you on that, but her in high school having a crush on peter parker isn't an invention of that new avengers comic - it's in the initial alias run and that new avengers comic is a call back to it.

Okay, I forgot what issue it happened in, but it absolutely wasn't how she was introduced or created was my point. Both were written by Bendis anyways

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Push El Burrito posted:

Your dog believes America deserved 9/11.

Freedom of religion means that I cannot discipline her over that.
I can definitely discipline her for chewing on the cat or for trying to bum food, but not for religious beliefs.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Question IRL posted:

Freedom of religion means that I cannot discipline her over that.
I can definitely discipline her for chewing on the cat or for trying to bum food, but not for religious beliefs.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Woebin posted:

That seems to be one Jessica Campbell, though? Also isn't Jess' hair naturally black?

I'll admit I've mostly seen her in the Netflix series though, so I'm not the scholar here.

I’m no scholar either, but changing her name and dyeing her hair seem absolutely on-brand for JJ

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Woebin posted:

Jessica Campbell Jones Cage was born Jessica Campbell, but after her parents were killed in the accident that gave her powers, she was adopted by the Jones family.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Obviously Gwenpool is referring to Jessica Jones' Jewel days, which were before she came into publication.

Alias introduced us to Jessica Jones as we know her. But before she existed? Total eye-candy.
That's not the text though. The wording is "invented to be eye candy and given development later". Jessica Jones was invented to be a hard-drinking private eye with a shameful superhero past. Jewel was certainly part of Bendis's original plan for her, but it was explicitly part of her character development. Jewel as a character didn't exist before Jessica Jones as we know her, and Gwenpool would certainly know that.

Woebin posted:

You should go read Alias! It's very good! As noted, she was adopted after being orphaned, and her hair is generally colored brown in the comics. It's not a major character trait or anything, so they stuck with Krystin Ritter's natural hair color for the show.

Pictured: Noted eye candy character Jessica Jones as depicted by noted cheesecake artist Michael Gaydos.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 3, 2020

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Endless Mike posted:

That's not the text though. The wording is "invented to be eye candy and given development later". Jessica Jones was invented to be a hard-drinking private eye with a shameful superhero past. Jewel was certainly part of Bendis's original plan for her, but it was explicitly part of her character development. Jewel as a character didn't exist before Jessica Jones as we know her, and Gwenpool would certainly know that.

I'm being a facetious nerd and agree with everybody that it's really really stupid to put her there. :v:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

You should go read Alias! It's very good! As noted, she was adopted after being orphaned, and her hair is generally colored brown in the comics. It's not a major character trait or anything, so they stuck with Krystin Ritter's natural hair color for the show.

Pictured: Noted eye candy character Jessica Jones as depicted by noted cheesecake artist Michael Gaydos.
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out! I did enjoy the show a lot, and I think when she's appeared in more recent stuff I've read her hair was black (in Hawkeye, I think? I mean the best Hawkeye, Kate Bishop). I guess artists could be going with that sometimes because of the show though!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think the eye-candy bit is just one of many jokes in that series that absolutely did not land and didn't even make much sense. Leah Williams is really really great but I really feel like her Gwen-pool was just... shooting for something and not quite hitting it, but I have no idea what it was trying to be. So much of the weird horny energy of it comes off as kind of stilted, this bit included.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

How Wonderful! posted:

I think the eye-candy bit is just one of many jokes in that series that absolutely did not land and didn't even make much sense. Leah Williams is really really great but I really feel like her Gwen-pool was just... shooting for something and not quite hitting it, but I have no idea what it was trying to be. So much of the weird horny energy of it comes off as kind of stilted, this bit included.

I haven't really followed it much after the first issue, but everything I've seen of that series just gives me the distinct impression that they don't really quite *get* what people love about Gwenpool. Like they're trying to emulate a sense of humor that is just ever beyond their scope or grasp. You kids like the nonsensical me-mes and the cynical "woke" humor, right? This is what you want, right?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, it definitely looks like the sort of thing that's supposed to demonstrate nuance and awareness of the company's past, without actually having nuance or awareness of the company's past.

Funny thing about "lol memes" is that IIRC, that came up in Ryan North's Chris Hastings' run as the reason Gwen was never that into Deadpool before she entered the MU. Just not her brand of humor.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 3, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.gocomics.com/nancy/2020/12/03

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Eye #2 (1940)

Superboy #55 (1957)

The Defenders #10 (1973)

The Sensational She-Hulk #17 (1990)

Spider-Man and the Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do #1 (2002)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man and the Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do #1 (2002)

You're monologuing about using humor to deflect the reality of the violence you inflict, while quoting a classic Looney Toons skit without context or comedic timing, Spidey. :spidey:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cleretic posted:

I might be fumbling a google confirmation, but I think Jessica Jones was based on (and later confirmed to be) one of the random classmates from early Spider-Man.

That sounds like total horseshit. You might as well say a random guy in a crowd shot in an early ASM issue is an early appearance by Kamala Khan's dad.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

You're monologuing about using humor to deflect the reality of the violence you inflict, while quoting a classic Looney Toons skit without context or comedic timing, Spidey. :spidey:

Yeah, this is not Spidey's tight five. I always liked the one where his internal monologue is about how he uses humor to distract himself from how scared he is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds like total horseshit. You might as well say a random guy in a crowd shot in an early ASM issue is an early appearance by Kamala Khan's dad.
It's definitely horseshit. Bendis's original pitch was about Jessica Drew:

quote:

Early on in the conceptual stage of the project, Jessica Jones was intended to be Jessica Drew, the alter-ego of Marvel's Spider-Woman. Drew was one of Bendis' favorite Marvel characters and she wasn't being used in any major way by Marvel at the time.

"For people scoring at home, it was the first book offered to me at Marvel years ago, like 10 years ago," Bendis told Comic Book Resources. "To show you how long ago, Marvel West Coast was still open. Mark Paniccia was running Marvel West Coast and he called me and I presented to him a "Spider-Woman" series. It was a lot different from what me and Alex will be doing, but it was supposed to be me and Rick Mays doing an ongoing "Spider-Woman" series. I handed in the presentation like the hour Marvel shut down their west coast office. It was about as bad timing as you could get. But, I did always have a real passion for her."

"Originally, 'Alias' was going to star Jessica Drew, but it became something else entirely," he added. "Which is good, because had we used Jessica it would have been off continuity and bad storytelling."

Instead, Bendis took the project in a different direction, creating a completely different character who just happened to also have the same first name.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/who-is-marvels-jessica-jones

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bendis of all people saying "Which is good, because had we used Jessica it would have been off continuity and bad storytelling." is an hearty :lmao:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

Yeah, it definitely looks like the sort of thing that's supposed to demonstrate nuance and awareness of the company's past, without actually having nuance or awareness of the company's past.

Funny thing about "lol memes" is that IIRC, that came up in Ryan North's run as the reason Gwen was never that into Deadpool before she entered the MU. Just not her brand of humor.
Useless postscript: Gwenpool's original (and good) run was written by Christopher Hastings - Ryan North was the Squirrel Girl Guy. Ryan North is best known for dinosaur comics, Christopher Hastings did Dr. McNinja.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

How can you not love this guy, I ask you. He simply cannot believe he isn't being taken seriously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Almost as if it was written by a complete hack

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Pastry of the Year posted:

Bendis of all people saying "Which is good, because had we used Jessica it would have been off continuity and bad storytelling." is an hearty :lmao:

Dang, got there before I could

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Skwirl posted:

Almost as if it was written by a complete hack

Well, they can't all be Alan Moores. But if he keeps at it, he might still get good enough to make a name for himself some day.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Drakyn posted:

Useless postscript: Gwenpool's original (and good) run was written by Christopher Hastings - Ryan North was the Squirrel Girl Guy. Ryan North is best known for dinosaur comics, Christopher Hastings did Dr. McNinja.

*head desk* I always get those two mixed up.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I haven't really followed it much after the first issue, but everything I've seen of that series just gives me the distinct impression that they don't really quite *get* what people love about Gwenpool. Like they're trying to emulate a sense of humor that is just ever beyond their scope or grasp. You kids like the nonsensical me-mes and the cynical "woke" humor, right? This is what you want, right?

The frustrating thing is that Gwenpool explicitly doesn't like "meme" jokes, one of the best gags in her original run is when she meets Deadpool and is aghast that people think she's like him in any way and notes that she's never found his style of comedy funny. There's definitely silly stuff in Unbelievable Gwenpool, but it's absurdism and meta-humour about the comic format, not references and memes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wonder Woman #764: Now featuring the return of Maxwell Lord

(if you don't follow DC stuff, he has mind control)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

TwoPair posted:

And it causes him nosebleeds when he uses it.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord gets to come back but Ted Kord has to stay dead because of 'cosmic balance?" Ugh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Call me when they decide that he isn't randomly evil because someone was pissed at JLI for existing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"I'm really sorry you got all wet."

Water Wizard drives a VW Bug

Water Wizard avoided getting snuffed by Scourge because he got a flat tire

I love Water Wizard

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TwoPair posted:

Wonder Woman #764: Now featuring the return of Maxwell Lord

I can't believe they would go after Linus Tech Tips like this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Pastry of the Year posted:

"I'm really sorry you got all wet."

Water Wizard drives a VW Bug

Water Wizard avoided getting snuffed by Scourge because he got a flat tire

I love Water Wizard

I love that he's driving around in his bug IN COSTUME. I'm imagining that's because it's awkward getting changed in the front boot of a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

This is from Mother Panic/Batman if anybody is interested in checking it out. I was just rereading all that stuff a few days ago since Gerard Way's Doom Patrol came up somewhere.