Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I read that like JR the WWE announcer.

I think I would actually be able to make a beef wellington in my oven. Probably. It's pretty large. It came with a pizza stone, which I'm pretty excited about.

That's the kind of oven my friend offered me! Do you recommend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Glutes Are Great posted:

That's the kind of oven my friend offered me! Do you recommend it?

I've used it once so far to make nachos but it worked well I'd say. Seemed to have good heat distribution, etc.

Robot Made of Meat

Not sure how anybody lives without an oven. When I bought my house it had three ovens in two kitchens. There were a few parties where all three were used at once.

I've cut way back now, and find that I can survive with just two (plus the Toast-R-Oven).

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

Rarity posted:

What about pizzas?

What about pies?

What about roasts?!

*grinch listening to GaG singing joyously despite the lack of oven*

It came without pizzas!

It came without roasts!

It came without root veggies, french fries, and toasts!

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

I mean, I don't bake a ton. I made a lot of pizzas in Seattle when my house had an oven. It's just me though and my apartment is pretty small so I can get by with a few pots and pans, a skillet, two burners, and a rice cooker.

It's just sort of a cultural difference too I guess. Apartments here don't come with anything really. Usually they they don't even have a stovetop or light fixtures. You have to supply your own.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I read that like JR the WWE announcer.

I think I would actually be able to make a beef wellington in my oven. Probably. It's pretty large. It came with a pizza stone, which I'm pretty excited about.

Omg that's better than my little oven. You did good.

I should send you my recipe for chicken en croute; you could also get stuff to make green chile cheese straws. I gotta find out if I can ship chile to you...

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Not sure how anybody lives without an oven. When I bought my house it had three ovens in two kitchens. There were a few parties where all three were used at once.

I've cut way back now, and find that I can survive with just two (plus the Toast-R-Oven).

Double ovens changed my cooking game. I can bake four pies while roasting joints of meat and it's just magical.

Escape From Noise

Kief Richards posted:

Omg that's better than my little oven. You did good.

I should send you my recipe for chicken en croute; you could also get stuff to make green chile cheese straws. I gotta find out if I can ship chile to you...

Okay. But then I have to ship you stuff!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Okay. But then I have to ship you stuff!

Yessss my evil plan is working

I am requesting (1) citron KitKat

Escape From Noise

Kief Richards posted:

Yessss my evil plan is working

I am requesting (1) citron KitKat

I will see what I can do. Weird kit kats are harder to come by these days. I definitely plan to stuff a bunch of goodies in the package as well.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I should make you a hat. You're about to get snow. Hmm.

Escape From Noise

Kief Richards posted:

I should make you a hat. You're about to get snow. Hmm.

Probably no snow in Osaka. It gets sorta cold here but nothing crazy. That said, I'd never say no to a 100% authentic Ham Job bs hat

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Probably no snow in Osaka. It gets sorta cold here but nothing crazy. That said, I'd never say no to a 100% authentic Ham Job bs hat

It snowed in Osaka when I was a kid but I also remember it being really freakishly cold like two years in a row.

I'm homesick for Oregon but also Korea this week. I miss my ajumma even if she's like, the windsuitiest person I've ever known.

Jinh

Yo, double oven would be really nice. Can't believe I never considered that. even yesterday I was like "drat I wish I could cook these tater tots and chicken strips at the same time but the tots need 450 and the chicken wants 400"

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm extremely privileged in that I have a house with a big kitchen and multiple bathrooms and I wish this pandemic were over so I could have people over all the time again so I could feed everyone.

City of Glompton

i would like a double oven that is built into the wall so when i am hovering over the stove i don't have oven heat blasting upwards at me

my oven/stove combo is really old, ugly, and doesn't work very well and i look forward to teh day when i have something, anything else

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Jinh

Kief Richards posted:

It snowed in Osaka when I was a kid but I also remember it being really freakishly cold like two years in a row.

I'm homesick for Oregon but also Korea this week. I miss my ajumma even if she's like, the windsuitiest person I've ever known.

Do you speak Korean?
Do any yobbers out there speak it?

I've been on and off trying to start learning Korean for the last few years, but I kept hitting the Grammar Wall after learning basic Hangul pronunciation and bouncing off every time. I changed my mindset and method recently, and i've been making a lot of progress.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Jinh posted:

Do you speak Korean?

I've been on and off trying to start learning Korean for the last few years, but I kept hitting the Grammar Wall after learning basic Hangul pronunciation and bouncing off every time. I changed my mindset and method recently, and i've been making a lot of progress.

Is "bap/bab" rice by any chance? I ate a lot of bap-things when I was there, but only learned the tourist language basics

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Jinh posted:

Do you speak Korean?

Ya but it's rusty; I haven't had to use it in everyday situations for a few years, other than calling my auntie and checking in with my friends.

Korean is a fun language to learn; I was very fluent in high school and college because of living there on and off for years. There's some really good books I can recommend when I get home and actually have access to my stuff.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

RickRogers posted:

Is "bap/bab" rice by any chance? I ate a lot of bap-things when I was there, but only learned the tourist language basics

Bap is the anglicized translation of rice yup. Bibim means mixed, sort of--so bibimbap is "mixed rice."

Ass-penny

Ovens are cool and good. One day several years ago I was trying to preheat my oven to bake a frozen pizza, and it didn't get hot. I surprised myself by taking it apart some, buying and replacing a 5$ piece and fixing my oven.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Kief Richards posted:

Bap is the anglicized translation of rice yup. Bibim means mixed, sort of--so bibimbap is "mixed rice."

Oh my goodness there were some good things to eat there, I still order stuff like ssam-jang for nostalgia
I could never mister up the courage to try, what I believe were, the silkworms though

Prof. Crocodile

RickRogers posted:

Oh my goodness there were some good things to eat there, I still order stuff like ssam-jang for nostalgia
I could never mister up the courage to try, what I believe were, the silkworms though

I like eating beondegi because all the silk makes my poop smooth and shiny.

more falafel please

forums poster

rear end-penny posted:

Ovens are cool and good. One day several years ago I was trying to preheat my oven to bake a frozen pizza, and it didn't get hot. I surprised myself by taking it apart some, buying and replacing a 5$ piece and fixing my oven.

same thing happened to me a couple months ago and i was very upset that i was gonna have to get someone to come into my house to fix it in covid times. i was also very upset because i had just spent an hour and a half making a lasagna and had to freeze it

but yeah it was just the igniter, which is a super simple fix

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Finger Prince

When I was living in college residence (they were sort of townhouse style, 6 bedrooms and a common kitchen/living room), the kitchen had an old abused gas stove and when it got really cold, the pilot light would always go out. So you'd wake up and go downstairs and smell gas and be like, ahh gently caress, pilot light gone out again. So you'd open the oven and stick your head and upper torso in this gas filled cavity with a lighter to relight the pilot at the back and it was always, every time, like :stonklol: I'm gonna die this time for sure.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

RickRogers posted:

Ya they're okay. Just kinda fishy tasting tbh.

My most favorite food from Korea was a raw egg on hot rice with a ton of sesame oil and perilla leaf too grab it with. It's basically comfort food.

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

When I was living in college residence (they were sort of townhouse style, 6 bedrooms and a common kitchen/living room), the kitchen had an old abused gas stove and when it got really cold, the pilot light would always go out. So you'd wake up and go downstairs and smell gas and be like, ahh gently caress, pilot light gone out again. So you'd open the oven and stick your head and upper torso in this gas filled cavity with a lighter to relight the pilot at the back and it was always, every time, like :stonklol: I'm gonna die this time for sure.

my mom has a ridiculously good sense of smell (which was definitely A Problem for me in high school) but she would come home from work, open the front door and say "pilot's out" when everyone else was home. my water heater has a pilot light now, but it's on a thermocouple that shuts the gas off if the pilot goes out. i guess my dryer might have a pilot?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm pretty sure your dryer has a thermocouple with an auto-shutoff too, if it was made in the last fifteen years. My old-rear end dryer still has a pilot but that's because it's older than I am.

alnilam

yeah gas appliances in the past several decades at least, have a fuel valve that defaults to closed and only stays open if there's enough warmth from the pilot

ty manifisto

more falafel please

forums poster

Kief Richards posted:

I'm pretty sure your dryer has a thermocouple with an auto-shutoff too, if it was made in the last fifteen years. My old-rear end dryer still has a pilot but that's because it's older than I am.

washer/dryer came with the house in 2014 so i don't know how old it is. it's only a little concerning because sometimes we get sewer gas in the basement, which isn't dangerous but smells a little like natural gas

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My dryer celebrated its 42nd birthday a few weeks back, according to the serial plate. It did so by over-drying my socks and now they are very tight bois.

Ass-penny

more falafel please posted:

my mom has a ridiculously good sense of smell (which was definitely A Problem for me in high school) but she would come home from work, open the front door and say "pilot's out" when everyone else was home. my water heater has a pilot light now, but it's on a thermocouple that shuts the gas off if the pilot goes out. i guess my dryer might have a pilot?

Or an igniter like your oven. I was super glad my oven didn't release gas when my igniter failed.

alnilam

when possible imo only buy washers/dryers from pre 2000 or so because even the nicest new appliances have motherboards that will fail and cost more than the appliance to replace, whereas the cheapest shittiest washer or dryer from 1990 will last forever with occasional DIY $10 fixes, at least until they stop making parts

ty manifisto

alnilam

the washer/dryer at my old house were super old and came with the house, when i moved to oregon i was worried i would never be able to find an old appliance again but instead i found some guy on craigslist whose whole business is buying pre-computerization washers and dryers (he gets them real cheap from the home depot people that haul away your old one when you buy a new one), fixing them up real nice, and reselling them. It was amazing how proud he was of these washers and dryers. Like literally brought our 90s washer over and slapped the hood and said "this baby was one of the first on the market with a shared transmission between the pump and the agitator... fixed up the clutch real nice." He also bypasses the door close switches since they break so often.

ty manifisto

Jinh

Kief Richards posted:

Ya but it's rusty; I haven't had to use it in everyday situations for a few years, other than calling my auntie and checking in with my friends.

Korean is a fun language to learn; I was very fluent in high school and college because of living there on and off for years.

Yeah it's been really fun! I can feel the neurons in my head rerouting when a complex language rule suddenly clicks, and it's amazing.

Kief Richards posted:

There's some really good books I can recommend when I get home and actually have access to my stuff.

That would be great, thank you! I've been using howtostudykorean.com and the small workbooks he sells, as well as the Memrise flashcard app for remembering vocab. Trying to immerse myself in natural conversations through podcasts and youtube videos as well. Eventually I might pay a tutor for speaking practice.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Jinh posted:

Yeah it's been really fun! I can feel the neurons in my head rerouting when a complex language rule suddenly clicks, and it's amazing.

That would be great, thank you! I've been using howtostudykorean.com and the small workbooks he sells, as well as the Memrise flashcard app for remembering vocab. Trying to immerse myself in natural conversations through podcasts and youtube videos as well. Eventually I might pay a tutor for speaking practice.

This is weird advice but, like Korean Unitarian Church. For real. You will get so much practice.

Goons Are Gifts

Everyone who has an autumn sig and wants to preserve it for eternity, remember to post really hard in this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949834&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's going to be mined fairly soon!

Escape From Noise

Important development: I realized that lady I went on a date with is actually crazy busy because it's the end of the year and she's an accountant. We texted a bit tonight so things are still moving forwards.

Goons Are Gifts

Hell yeah!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh

Kief Richards posted:

This is weird advice but, like Korean Unitarian Church. For real. You will get so much practice.

I wish I could, but I live in the southern USA in a fairly conservative area of the south, so my options are pretty limited. I'll keep an eye out though!

Important development: I realized that lady I went on a date with is actually crazy busy because it's the end of the year and she's an accountant. We texted a bit tonight so things are still moving forwards.

:dance: