Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rarity posted:

The only good brawler is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time. I will be taking no further questions at this moment.

That is not correct but it is definitely one of the best examples of the genre. Which is surprising considering Konami's brawlers are largely not very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bury my shell at wounded knee

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiAmEo7bP_U

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

The only good brawler is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time. I will be taking no further questions at this moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nD7wzk8u_Q

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What if this were a TMNT x Yakuza collaboration instead...

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My brawler of choice is Dynamite Deka, aka Die Hard Arcade.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think the number one thing I didn't like about Valhalla from a gameplay standpoint was the removal of a real RPG-like progression system. I liked how in Odyssey you started out as some random hired muscle thug, then evolved into a teleporting exploding wall of death, to eventually turning full SSJ with a double lightsaber and spirit bulls. I liked all the unique armor sets and how you could put together a distinctive build with a few insanely overpowered legendaries. Teleporting assassin who never gets hit, 2H warrior who sets the entire battlefield on fire, multishot hunter who can fire off 30 arrows while still in stealth, all that dumb poo poo was fun and led to me putting a ton of extra time into trying out new specs. They took all that out in Valhalla but didn't really make the combat any deeper mechanically, so you're just doing the same sword attack animation over and over, level 0-400. Armor sets are rare and expensive to upgrade, so there's no incentive to try anything new. They took out all the crazy weapon/armor affixes and just replaced them with runes that are like, "increase critical strike chance after you parry." Big whoop.

What I wish they'd done is kept the really big progression stuff from Odyssey but just back off a bit on the level-gating. The thing that annoyed me the most about Odyssey was that "Level" as a stat is of monumental importance: if the difference between your level and your target's is more than one or two, you're going to do a lot less damage to them, and they'll do a lot more to you. It makes doing things while underleveled feel awful rather than a fun challenge, and also feels really artificial. Origins did this, too. Hell, so did Syndicate, it just felt less foregrounded because the max level was 10.

I like the armor sets, the crazy abilities, the weapon variety, all of that, and I don't mind numerical stats being really important. If it was more about discrete attack and defense stats, for example, that's fine, I'm used to that in an RPG. It just bothers me when the difference between your "Level" number and the target's "Level" number is a huge factor in how much damage you deal to each other.

I haven't played Valhalla yet, but it seems like they just took a cue from Destiny and use the word "Power" instead of "Level," and as a result they kept the bad parts of the RPG progression (one central number being the main determining factor in your character's capabilities) and threw out the fun parts of the RPG progression. It's like a worst of all worlds thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

capcom alien vs predator is pretty much the pinnacle, of classic brawlers

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am currently playing it for the first time and of all the games on the list I would agree it stands head and shoulders over them and had bowsette not been a choice I would have voted for it.

However it is not my game of the decade.

From 2010 to 2020?

TLOU
Fortnite
Skyrim

All stand out above Dark Souls if we’re talking real impact.

Being the game the most goons are obsessed with? Sure.

But in terms of impact, those three are all bigger.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fortnite yes, skyrim no, tlou lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hi Neil.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The game with the most impact is clearly Genshin Impact

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TLOU definitely has a case for GOTD for the 'games are art' argument and the lovely sequel doesn't change that and Skyrim was one of the main drivers of the last gen's obsession with open world games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont weigh cultural impact when i rank games because i'm voicing my own opinion

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

homeless snail posted:

capcom alien vs predator is pretty much the pinnacle, of classic brawlers

:hmmyes:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

fortnite yes, skyrim no, tlou lol

In terms of impact to the industry narratively (this game is as good or better than most movies) is stronger than than Dark Souls (games can be good and hard again, if you’re a real gamer you’ll like this). I’d say TLOU impacted more than dark souls in that regard.

I didn’t put BOTW in because while it is 10/10 game (and personally I’d argue it is better than everything I’ve listed up to this point) it is more the perfection (and there is room for improvement) of a type of game and set a golden standard, versus something that flipped the industry on the head or game changed in that sense going forward.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i dont weigh cultural impact when i rank games because i'm voicing my own opinion

If the list was favorite games of the decade that would be different. Games of the decade imply impact to the culture landscape versus personal preference.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LionArcher posted:

In terms of impact to the industry narratively (this game is as good or better than most movies)

longer, heartier lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It does not say game of the decade that has the most cultural impact. It just says game of the decade. Like our game of the year thread is not game of the year most culturally relevant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wouldn't say Skyrim drove on and blew up the open world trend as much as the Elder Scrolls in general did and even then, it's probably GTA3 instead

quote:

I didn’t put BOTW in because while it is 10/10 game (and personally I’d argue it is better than everything I’ve listed up to this point) it is more the perfection (and there is room for improvement) of a type of game and set a golden standard, versus something that flipped the industry on the head or game changed in that sense going forward.

I wouldn't put BOTW in because it's none of those things, also

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Technically doesn't say 'video' game so game of the decade is probably Monopoly as it becomes more relevant by the second.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
gamer thought:

outer wilds is dark souls without the combat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

gamer thought:

outer wilds is dark souls without the combat

It's not the best game, it's spacers game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The 2010s Game That Changed Everything is... probs minecraft idk, this is dumb

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

The 2010s Game That Changed Everything is... probs minecraft idk, this is dumb

Minecraft came out in 2009

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

TLOU definitely has a case for GOTD for the 'games are art' argument and the lovely sequel doesn't change that and Skyrim was one of the main drivers of the last gen's obsession with open world games

half of itch.io has a better claim for this reason than sad dad and zombies game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Relax Or DIE posted:

half of itch.io has a better claim for this reason than sad dad and zombies game

Not the half that made it into that giant-rear end bundle

Well, maybe one or two did

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

what was good about TLOU that the sequel didn't make good on? I enjoyed the first on PS3 but wasn't interested in the sequel after it sounded like they tripled down on the sadistic ultra-realistic violence part

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't wait to get TLOU2 on ps+ for free some time in a year or two and go through it like I did the first one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Minecraft came out in 2009

That was the alpha, moran

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tlou2 was great, it was so perfectly emblematic of everything rotten about AAA gaming

from the culture-war hurricane surrounding its release, to the developer coyly using its cultural progressiveness to drum up hype (reviewers being told to keep the trans character a secret), to the questionable implementation of said progressiveness (trans character exists as a totem of suffering for their identity), to the youtube icons bellowing up a storm because one of the female characters has muscles, to the incredible abuse of the developer's staff, to the director and voice actors locking arms and sneering at the journalists who pointed out said abuse, to the fans who think prestige-tv tapioca with hamfisted moral ambiguity is the loving pieta

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LionArcher posted:

If the list was favorite games of the decade that would be different. Games of the decade imply impact to the culture landscape versus personal preference.
a cultural impact list is boring. i want people's actual opinions. i could just go to metacritic and sort by highest rated if i gave a poo poo about a consensus opinion

RBA Starblade posted:

Not the half that made it into that giant-rear end bundle

Well, maybe one or two did
that bundle has some really good stuff. probably not high art tho lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

That was the alpha, moran

It counts

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Oxxidation posted:

tlou2 was great, it was so perfectly emblematic of everything rotten about AAA gaming

from the culture-war hurricane surrounding its release, to the developer coyly using its cultural progressiveness to drum up hype (reviewers being told to keep the trans character a secret), to the questionable implementation of said progressiveness (trans character exists as a totem of suffering for their identity), to the youtube icons bellowing up a storm because one of the female characters has muscles, to the incredible abuse of the developer's staff, to the director and voice actors locking arms and sneering at the journalists who pointed out said abuse, to the fans who think prestige-tv tapioca with hamfisted moral ambiguity is the loving pieta

the ropes though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
game of the decade was last year! but also

The 7th Guest posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why would it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a blm bundle game is still in my top 10 for 2020 games although it might get pushed out once I try roki, murder by numbers, call of the sea, haven, flower collectors, etc

having played barnfinders for a few hours now it won't be in my top 10 but it's still fun. kind of lazy caricatures for the NPCs though (asian woman is "lady dragon", for example, and a jamaican character that's as one dimensional as a 90s cartoon jamaican). but barnfinders does prove my point that "(X) but without combat" is a valid construct... in this game taking the looting of games like bioshock/fallout and building a game around it (eastshade is another example, it being "open world rpg without combat")

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The 7th Guest posted:

My opinion is the correct one, therefore Dark Souls must be the most culturally impacting game of all time. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The game with the most impact is clearly Genshin Impact

Sorry, it cannot possibly have more impact than this

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Hot take for games with the most impact to the industry: Candy Crush Saga and Clash of Clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Why would it

Because you could play it