Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Sharizard posted:

While the Keychron chat is still fresh, I wanted to share something useful I found for those of you who have a K6.

I just got a Keychron K6 a couple of weeks ago, and thought that having to hold Fn1 / Fn2 to get tilde and ` were extremely annoying. Instead, I found that someone online has already solved this problem by using AutoHotKey (Win only, don't know of a Mac alternative off the top of my head). The fix was to change the ESC functionality so that it activates if the key is held down, and allow ` / ~ priority when typing. Check it out on SuperUser.

On Mac the go-to is Karabiner and it's great.

I'm using it on a K2 for a bunch of weird personal preference stuff (e.g., caps lock ⤍ hyper key)

However, I'm also a dum dum who ordered custom keys from WASD before figuring out f13 and f5 can't be remapped easily. F5 is whatever, but my custom f13 says it should be play/pause :( Karabiner registers it as ⌘⇧4, so remapping that with a simple modification would screw up actually using ⌘⇧4. I've been exploring complex modifications that would tell the difference in timings between your fingers actually hitting ⌘, then ⇧, then 4 versus. doing it all at once (i.e., because it's really all just one up-down key press), but I'm not familiar enough with JSON or Karabiner's parameters to really do it. (Although I did discover this useful tool.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hey thread, I'm looking into getting my first mechanical keyboard now that I'm working from home permanently. This is basically what I'm looking for:

- Primarily used for coding and some gaming
- Low noise level
- Tenkeyless
- Backlit (color customization and easy way to turn on/off would be nice, but full RGB/dynamic lighting not necessary)
- Comfortable wrist rest (I'm sure I can get this separately if it's not included)
- In the neighborhood of $100 or less (preferably on sale, though I might have just missed out)

I don't have an easy way to try out switches, so I'm just guessing that I should go with something like cherry brown/clear or red. My friends have recommended brown, do you guys agree? I have a small but very open apartment and my wife sleeps early, so I'm still a little concerned about noise, but it's hard to tell without trying them.

As for the keyboard itself, I looked on Wirecutter and the CoolerMaster MK730 seems to check all the right boxes. The Razer BlackWidow is currently on sale, but I'm wary of their custom switches and the brand in general. The GMMK also looks promising. Or do you guys think I should skip all the gamer brands and just go straight for something like the Ducky One 2 TKL RGB (though the price is a bit high and less likely to go on sale)?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CaptainPsyko posted:

tl;dr: Keychrons customer service is really bad, and I am another day or so of this back and forth before just charging this paperweight back through my CC company.

On a related note, does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to the Keychron boards? The ability to switch between wired and Bluetooth on the fly is a huge plus for me, as is good Mac media key support.

drat, that sounds like a loving awful experience. I've been weighing the idea of jumping up from a K6 to a K2 now that I have more desk space, but I think your experience was enough to keep me from buying another one.

now that I've given up on using my iPad as a second screen on my desk (turns out most the work apps I wanted to use on it don't have good keyboard/mouse support) and I've got a USB switcher, I don't need Bluetooth at all anymore, so I supposed now I can start looking at all those weird fancy keyboards that don't have it. I still love the K2 layout though, dunno what other easily available boards have that.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm an idiot for wanting the Mountain Everest keyboard right? I wanna TKL board when FPSing, but I often use TK when not playing games. And the modularity and hot swap switches got me real interested in finally giving my mouse hand some more room during FPS stuff.

I currently have my G710+

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
runawayturtles: Ducky One is awesome if you're willing to spend the money.

Otherwise, the best value is the Tecware Phantom for $40, unless you absolutely have to have Cherry switches.

Browns are certainly less noisy than Blues but still make noise, if noise is a serious concern then Reds are the way to go (Reds have no tactile bump or click at all).

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

runawayturtles posted:

As for the keyboard itself, I looked on Wirecutter and the CoolerMaster MK730 seems to check all the right boxes. The Razer BlackWidow is currently on sale, but I'm wary of their custom switches and the brand in general. The GMMK also looks promising. Or do you guys think I should skip all the gamer brands and just go straight for something like the Ducky One 2 TKL RGB (though the price is a bit high and less likely to go on sale)?

I've got an older version of the Razer BlackWidow Elite with their Green (clicky) switches, and I like it. It's not the one I'm replacing with the Mountain. The BWE is a 100% board, and feels solid. Pretty weighty, minimal flex, and the RGB is subdued, gentle, and very pretty. The Synapse software is acceptable. On mine, the USB port is pass-through, which means it takes up two USB ports on my PC.

Ziploc posted:

I'm an idiot for wanting the Mountain Everest keyboard right? I wanna TKL board when FPSing, but I often use TK when not playing games. And the modularity and hot swap switches got me real interested in finally giving my mouse hand some more room during FPS stuff.

I currently have my G710+

I ordered one, and I'm anxiously awaiting it. I'll give a full trip report when it comes in, but who knows when the next wave will hit? FOMO's a motherfucker. The Mountain will replace my current personal daily driver, a FNatic Streak with Cherry Reds. I'm not a linear switch man.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 3, 2020

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

runawayturtles posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking into getting my first mechanical keyboard now that I'm working from home permanently. This is basically what I'm looking for:

- Low noise level
- Tenkeyless
- Backlit (color customization and easy way to turn on/off would be nice, but full RGB/dynamic lighting not necessary)
- Comfortable wrist rest (I'm sure I can get this separately if it's not included)
- In the neighborhood of $100 or less (preferably on sale, though I might have just missed out)

I don't have an easy way to try out switches, so I'm just guessing that I should go with something like cherry brown/clear or red. My friends have recommended brown, do you guys agree? I have a small but very open apartment and my wife sleeps early, so I'm still a little concerned about noise, but it's hard to tell without trying them.

The GMMK is good for under $100. Some people recommend Drop CTRL. You get a lot more for another $60, like QMK support. The design of both will not help control noise, however, because of the material and other factors.

If you live in a studio apartment the noise will be very loud, especially as you are getting used to mechanical switches and you're bottoming out a lot. You may want to look at the Cherry Silent line, as they will dampen both up and down strokes without a weird o-ring feel. They do feel different but imo are better than other silencing solutions. Those, and any other mechanical switch, will still be louder than almost any membrane keyboard.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

I feel like I'm chasing a unicorn, but are there any CherryMX-style switches that come close to an Orange/Salmon ALPS level of tactility? I've got some Box Burnt Orange but they're not really what I'm looking for. Given that no cherry clone that I know of uses a leaf for tactility or click, I'm mostly out of luck.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dimestore Merlin posted:

I feel like I'm chasing a unicorn, but are there any CherryMX-style switches that come close to an Orange/Salmon ALPS level of tactility? I've got some Box Burnt Orange but they're not really what I'm looking for. Given that no cherry clone that I know of uses a leaf for tactility or click, I'm mostly out of luck.

It's not going to feel the same, but NK Blueberry switches are VERY tactile and it's nice.
But again it's not gonna feel quite like an alps does.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Otherwise, the best value is the Tecware Phantom for $40, unless you absolutely have to have Cherry switches.

Hmm, is Otemu not as bad as the OP implies?

AbsoluteLlama posted:

The GMMK is good for under $100. Some people recommend Drop CTRL. You get a lot more for another $60, like QMK support. The design of both will not help control noise, however, because of the material and other factors.

If you live in a studio apartment the noise will be very loud, especially as you are getting used to mechanical switches and you're bottoming out a lot. You may want to look at the Cherry Silent line, as they will dampen both up and down strokes without a weird o-ring feel. They do feel different but imo are better than other silencing solutions. Those, and any other mechanical switch, will still be louder than almost any membrane keyboard.

I see, that's helpful. I'm not in a studio, more of a pseudo-loft, but the noise concerns are similar. It's pretty difficult to wake up my wife once she's asleep, but it might be best to avoid trying on a nightly basis.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

runawayturtles posted:

I see, that's helpful. I'm not in a studio, more of a pseudo-loft, but the noise concerns are similar. It's pretty difficult to wake up my wife once she's asleep, but it might be best to avoid trying on a nightly basis.

Most switches have inproved over the years and are now of better quality than Cherries who have stayed the same. I haven’t tried Otemus myself so can’t speak for those.

As for the noise, you can use o-rings to dampen the sound of botteming out but not everyone likes the feeling of that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oetemus are at least as good as Cherrys now IMO. The OP is out of date on that point.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

runawayturtles posted:

Almost every switch out there is better than Cherry now IMO. Old Outemu switches sucked because their tooling and manufacturing was pretty inconsistent. You'd sometimes feel the same type of switch feel different / have different actuation points due to their bad manufacturing tolerances. They've improved now though. I'd say Outemu has the best blues, since it has that crunchy click and more tactile than the rest. Not a big fan of their standard switches (red, brown, black, etc.) since it's kinda samey as all the other switches out there. But their more premium switches such as ICE, Phoenix, Silent Sky etc. are all pretty good and have a unique feel.

All personal preference though. The benefit of having 2 other buddies into this hobby is that we all just buy a bunch of switches and just rotate them around based on who prefers what.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Cherry has the worst spring consistency of most of the switches you're likely to run into nowadays.
Their housings are absolutely fantastic though, and always have been. I like to use Cherry housings for frankenswitches. I don't really swap the stems into anything else though.
New Cherry Hyperglides are pretty fantastic but you still need to spring swap them.

I've got a lot of keyboard chores lined up this week, followed by like 6 builds I have to get through. But once I'm done with all that I am going to try these new UHMWPE stems from 415keys (not the same as ones from AE or Drop) in some Cherry Clear switch housings with TX or Sprit springs.

I tested a couple and they seem pretty nice. Haven't done enough to fill a keyboard, just a few and initial impressions are that this could be a real good combo.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

abraham linksys posted:

drat, that sounds like a loving awful experience. I've been weighing the idea of jumping up from a K6 to a K2 now that I have more desk space, but I think your experience was enough to keep me from buying another one.

now that I've given up on using my iPad as a second screen on my desk (turns out most the work apps I wanted to use on it don't have good keyboard/mouse support) and I've got a USB switcher, I don't need Bluetooth at all anymore, so I supposed now I can start looking at all those weird fancy keyboards that don't have it. I still love the K2 layout though, dunno what other easily available boards have that.

FWIW, it's been a frustrating week of back and forth, but now they are going to replace my keyboard. Hopefully that's the end of this saga, and we'll chalk it up to a singular bad experience and I'll keep happily typing on this Keychron.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with kono store customer support? I have to cancel a keyset group buy I was a part of and it been close to a drat week without a response from their customer service. Unless someone can tell me if DoubleShot ABS shine does't cause any issues typing down the road, then I might just keep them. I been only using PBT keycaps to this point and anything ABS have been whatever garbage caps logitech put on their keyboard.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Does anyone have any experience with kono store customer support? I have to cancel a keyset group buy I was a part of and it been close to a drat week without a response from their customer service. Unless someone can tell me if DoubleShot ABS shine does't cause any issues typing down the road, then I might just keep them. I been only using PBT keycaps to this point and anything ABS have been whatever garbage caps logitech put on their keyboard.

Their customer service kinda sucks because it's just one dude last time I had to deal with them. They're way more responsive on the Input Club Discord.

ABS shine doesn't cause any typing issues at all. It's purely a cosmetic thing. Your most used keys will just be shinier than the rest. (some can be weird depending on how OCD you are, like left shift or enter where the shine is on where your fingers typically are) I mean, not unless your fingers buff a literal hole in the keycaps, they're plenty usable.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Their customer service kinda sucks because it's just one dude last time I had to deal with them. They're way more responsive on the Input Club Discord.

ABS shine doesn't cause any typing issues at all. It's purely a cosmetic thing. Your most used keys will just be shinier than the rest. (some can be weird depending on how OCD you are, like left shift or enter where the shine is on where your fingers typically are) I mean, not unless your fingers buff a literal hole in the keycaps, they're plenty usable.

So I assuming that the slick slimy feeling is from cheaper ABS keys wearing out from use? I just gotten used to PBT keys and since they make such a nice thock with lubed Halo Clears that I don't want to change it because the sound will be different with different material.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Thanks to all the goons that encouraged me to be a degenerate and go all-in on building a Mysterium. It looks pretty amazing, and the matching Discipad makes it perfect!

A few beauty photos:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Gearman posted:

Thanks to all the goons that encouraged me to be a degenerate and go all-in on building a Mysterium. It looks pretty amazing, and the matching Discipad makes it perfect!

A few beauty photos:

Ooooh. :swoon: What switches did you put in???

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

So I assuming that the slick slimy feeling is from cheaper ABS keys wearing out from use? I just gotten used to PBT keys and since they make such a nice thock with lubed Halo Clears that I don't want to change it because the sound will be different with different material.

Embrace the shine. Wear it as a badge of honor. Brag about it to /r/mk.
ABS will shine, but I will say it doesn't cause issues with typing for me. It may feel a little slick, but It shouldn't feel slimy, that's gross...

e: you can get thockier though... Try an MT3 set.

Gearman posted:

A few beauty photos:

That looks fantastic. Great Job.

e; okay I don't usually flex like this but I am so very stoked about this one so hold onto your butts.
https://imgur.com/a/4feOwnI

I just won one of these:

and one of these:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 4, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So here is something interesting. While browsing on Aliexpress I stumbled across a keyboard layout I hadn't seen before: a TKL or 89 key layout, but instead of the nav cluster, they're putting the numpad up there. It looks like an attempt to make a 96 key but without the problem where you occasionally mistype due to the close proximity of numpad and arrow cluster.

This exact layout is probably dogshit though because it doesn't give you the operator keys without which the numpad is half useless. But now I'm wondering if there is another way to make a 96 board nicer.

https://www.prohavit.com/products/kb487l-tkl-mechanical-keyboard/

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

Ooooh. :swoon: What switches did you put in???

Right now it's almost all Glorious Pandas, with the arrow clusters using Gazzew Bobas.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That looks fantastic. Great Job.

e; okay I don't usually flex like this but I am so very stoked about this one so hold onto your butts.
https://imgur.com/a/4feOwnI

I just won one of these:

and one of these:

Thanks, and congrats! Flexing whenever you can get a Latrialum is very appropriate! Those are some gorgeous caps.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lord Stimperor posted:

So here is something interesting. While browsing on Aliexpress I stumbled across a keyboard layout I hadn't seen before: a TKL or 89 key layout, but instead of the nav cluster, they're putting the numpad up there. It looks like an attempt to make a 96 key but without the problem where you occasionally mistype due to the close proximity of numpad and arrow cluster.

This exact layout is probably dogshit though because it doesn't give you the operator keys without which the numpad is half useless. But now I'm wondering if there is another way to make a 96 board nicer.

https://www.prohavit.com/products/kb487l-tkl-mechanical-keyboard/

uhhhhhhhhhh what? that hurts my brain. Why is there numlock on backspace? Why do you even need arrows if there's a numlock (arrows are on the numpad)? What is going on here?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh what? that hurts my brain. Why is there numlock on backspace? Why do you even need arrows if there's a numlock (arrows are on the numpad)? What is going on here?

Ha I didn't even notice that. That's hilarious actually

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I haven't peeked into this world in ages so sorry if my questions are basic as heck.
Region: Japan.. Shipping from Amazon USA isn't bad depending on the model.
My current kb: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL, mx cherry reds. I never really liked the reds and they have not grown on me over the years. Feels too mushy and I mistyped a bit. I had browns about ten years ago and liked them, I think I had a Rosewill keyboard. Never tried blue switches.

Models I'm currently looking at:
Steelseries Apex 7, probably brown or blue.
I like the look of this a lot and shipping the TKL to Japan is cheaper than buying locally.

Razer Blackwidow Elite or Tournament Edition (currently cheap on Amazon so I could import).

If I went with the Razer I'd probably upgrade the keycaps. There are a fair number of used models with English layout available locally. How do people feel about Razer greens these days? They are the most common for used boards here.

I also liked the look of the Hyperx Alloy Origins but it's currently out of stock, and I've never tried their switches.
Since I'll mostly likely be ordering from the USA to Japan returning a board if I don't like the switches won't be easy.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I should say this is for primarily gaming, but I'm not wedded to the gamer rgb anesthetic by any means. I just want something well built. I could go either way on TKL VS 100% depending on price.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 5, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dimestore Merlin posted:

If you find one let me know :smith:

I've been using Kailh low profile clicky switches and they're sort of okay, but they're not tactile at all in the way my old AEK with orange Alps is. At work I have a Matias quiet click board and that has very good tactility but since it's Alps keycap mounts things like PBT keycaps are basically unobtanium.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

TheFluff posted:

If you find one let me know :smith:

I've been using Kailh low profile clicky switches and they're sort of okay, but they're not tactile at all in the way my old AEK with orange Alps is. At work I have a Matias quiet click board and that has very good tactility but since it's Alps keycap mounts things like PBT keycaps are basically unobtanium.

I know your pain. I have a Matias Quiet Click board at work that got replaced by the Lunar AEK 65% in Orange ALPS I got off of r/mechmarket. But I recently got a Keyboardio Atreus and now I'm down a really weird rabbit hole that has me considering picking up a soldering iron, a complete Iris kit, and some Matias Quiet Click switches (and mod them by clipping the bottom of the bumper off) and going to town. There's something so drat crunchy to tactile ALPS that no plastic stem can ever really recreate.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Kailh clickbar switches are the only thing that gets made today on par with Alps for feel. None of the tactile/non clicky switches really compare. Box whites are a tad lighter than most alps, but the heavier ones are a significant step up in weighting. I would start with whites and maybe try jades if there too light for you. I really really do not like the plain tactile versions like the burnt orange or box Royal vs the clickbar.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

runawayturtles posted:

- Low noise level
- Tenkeyless

MK730 is decent for the price. The keycaps are its main failing - they're ABS, which means they'll get shiny and slick within about a year. If you like the low profile case (ie there's no lip surrounding the sides of the keyboard), it might be worth getting instead of a Ducky and replacing the keycaps.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Neurosis posted:

MK730 is decent for the price. The keycaps are its main failing - they're ABS, which means they'll get shiny and slick within about a year. If you like the low profile case (ie there's no lip surrounding the sides of the keyboard), it might be worth getting instead of a Ducky and replacing the keycaps.

Hah, thanks for the explanation of low profile, I kept seeing it mentioned on various keyboards and couldn't figure out why because the keys looked higher up if anything. Now it all makes sense...

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Pegnose Pete posted:

Razer Blackwidow Elite or Tournament Edition (currently cheap on Amazon so I could import).

If I went with the Razer I'd probably upgrade the keycaps. There are a fair number of used models with English layout available locally. How do people feel about Razer greens these days? They are the most common for used boards here.

I also liked the look of the Hyperx Alloy Origins but it's currently out of stock, and I've never tried their switches.
Since I'll mostly likely be ordering from the USA to Japan returning a board if I don't like the switches won't be easy.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I should say this is for primarily gaming, but I'm not wedded to the gamer rgb anesthetic by any means. I just want something well built. I could go either way on TKL VS 100% depending on price.

I've got the BlackWidow Elite with green switches, and I'm happy with it. The Razer greens are high clack, which I'm a fan of. This board replaced/side-graded a Model M, and I don't really regret it. Getting win keys and media controls was worth it for me. The RGB lighting goes through diffusers in the switches, so it ends up being much more gentle/subtle than other lights. I've been using the base cap set for almost a year now, and they look fine in terms of shine. Once my Drop Laser Cyberdeck set comes it, I may switch them out for that.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Gwaihir posted:

Kailh clickbar switches are the only thing that gets made today on par with Alps for feel. None of the tactile/non clicky switches really compare. Box whites are a tad lighter than most alps, but the heavier ones are a significant step up in weighting. I would start with whites and maybe try jades if there too light for you. I really really do not like the plain tactile versions like the burnt orange or box Royal vs the clickbar.

Huh, I don't think I would have ever looked to click switches. I just ordered some Jades since it sounds like the thicker click bar helps add to that tactile feeling. Thanks!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If anyone is in the market for a macropad with a rotary encoder, the CU7 GB went live. Not cheap though, $80 without any switches.

https://caps-unlocked.com/cu7/

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Huh, I don't think I would have ever looked to click switches. I just ordered some Jades since it sounds like the thicker click bar helps add to that tactile feeling. Thanks!

Yeah, they're one of the few really totally unique feeling switches on the market, and feel extremely good so long as you don't mind the actual loud clicking. The closest comparison really is amber alps. Jades and Navies are a bit heavy for me but the pale blue is pretty good I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWtKJDY9Aqk

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 6, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gwaihir posted:

FWIW I have the Box Navy and really like them. I wouldn't futz with the Jades honestly. Some people had issues with the switch not returning, presumably because the lighter spring weight. Some people are perfectly happy with them and don't have the issue though so :shrug:

.Z. posted:

If anyone is in the market for a macropad with a rotary encoder, the CU7 GB went live. Not cheap though, $80 without any switches.

https://caps-unlocked.com/cu7/

I am still seriously considering the CU7. The only reasons I haven't bought it yet are: 1) They had some issues with their last GB. It was kind of a poo poo show. and 2) the ROTR exists. GB goes live in a week.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107104.0

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

When is someone going to make one with a numpad quantity of keys for not almost £200 (lmao)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ijyt posted:

When is someone going to make one with a numpad quantity of keys for not almost £200 (lmao)

When there's a big enough market to justify a run larger than a couple hundred units or someone willing to put up a lot of capital up front. Very few CNC / milling places want to produce anything at such a small scale and at the tolerances that people building keyboards want. There are some through-hole numpad kits that are under £200, though.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Is there a switch that has the tactile feel of blues but... silent*? Browns aren't really doing it for me. Is there some niche switch that might do this, and would be compatible with the new hot-swappable keychron k2?

* or "closer to" silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Clears feel a lot more like Blues, but while less noisy than Blues are more noisy than Browns.