Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Because you could play it

Oh, so star citizen is out?

Owned, by your own, logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Oh, so star citizen is out?

Owned, by your own, logic

Star Citizen is out, and get this, it sucks

Early Access is a plague

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Dark Souls is the Game of the Decade.

Bowsette makes me boner tho

.Can Dark Souls cumm?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Who the gently caress think zombie game better than Dark Souls. Wtf. Look here see

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dark Souls is a zombie game.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Souls is a zombie game.

holy poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That's why it's only okay.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking about how Roblox is one of the hugest and most influential games for an entire generation of kids and literally no one older than that generation in games mentions it at all, even Minecraft has way more visibility

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everyone how are you all doing today

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
decades are too big

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thinking about how Roblox is one of the hugest and most influential games for an entire generation of kids and literally no one older than that generation in games mentions it at all, even Minecraft has way more visibility

Children do not matter. They aren’t even real. They are a lie to keep the Roblox economy alive.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Thinkin a lot about things today. What you up to

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's a roblox

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I have not enough actual work remaining to post on the internet but too much work to play video games instead and the tension is bothering me!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

I have not enough actual work remaining to post on the internet but too much work to play video games instead and the tension is bothering me!

I've been on break for the last two weeks, and in two more weeks, will have another two weeks off

Bideo james

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not convinced I've ever even heard of roblox

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should we mention roblox more often?

I know someone who works for a game company that makes a game for roblox. They've been having lots of trouble lately though because roblox takes a very standoffish approach to dealing with complaints so there are certain complaints that would have to go to them, not the companies making games on their platform, but the complaints are about things out of those companies hands that fall on deaf ears when escalated to roblox proper because there's not much incentive for roblox to fix the problem because the problem in question involves roblox still getting money and the companies that profit from roblox can't just leave roblox.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait is roblox not a game itself

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What's a roblox

Bad blockland/second life/garry's mod targeted at kids

Rexicon1 posted:

Thinkin a lot about things today. What you up to

Thinking about maybe trying to stream wizard101 later, also thinking about what I'd need to make some modified hot wheels cars for the tabletop game Gaslands. I have a few ideas but I'd want to put together a list so I can see what kind of tools and materials I'd need and budget for it.

exquisite tea posted:

Time to finish up your work and pick then

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm taking next week off because i keep hating my job more and more every single day

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Thinkin bout playing barotrauma with the boys, then playing a bit of Genshin impact to acquire more wives and husbands

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It is and it isn't.

I don't know what the basic roblox stuff is but I think it's just a map that players can connect to and walk around in as not-lego-minifigures.

The actual stuff that makes money and that people pay for are the various different games others make that are various kinds of game modes, from big RP servers themed after different properties and aesthetics to games about adopting babies or being adopted by another player to games that are obstacle courses and mazes to simulation games about doing things like working at a pizza place or being a lumberjack to some legit impressive things like the mini Sonic Forces parody where you play as Gru and Young Gru and your OC in Despicable Me Forces or this other game I forget the name of that was a full on SM64-style collectathon that was competent enough that I didn't even realize it was made in roblox. I've heard there are even some not-counterstrike game modes.

The actual structure of it is very comparable to Garry's Mod since you had all kinds of people who would get Garry's Mod so that they could play on the RP servers, on Deathrun servers, Trouble in Terrorist Town servers, Flood servers, Ultimate Chimera Hunt servers, or just the plain sandbox map where people build stuff.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are your kids getting involved in “Roblox”?

There’s a new “craze” on the Internet. It’s called “Roblox”, and it’s taken many schoolyards by storm.

“I just love ‘Roblox’”, says Timothy, 9, of Middleton Elementary. “It’s so rad.”

But what is “Roblox”? Experts call it, “[a] bad blockland/second life/garry's mod targeted at kids”, and it might be children’s first step towards the hornier side of the Internet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Its pretty good in the sense that it's a VR game made by a developer with an actual budget. Visually it looks great but not any better than any non-VR game that is renowned for its visuals. It gets a lot of the small VR stuff right (the flick-motion grab is a great idea) but it also gets a lot wrong that Boneworks had already done, like ladders
it gets them right in that, the way boneworks handles ladders (and just about everything else) is extremely pukey

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've reached a point in my life where I think I can no longer compete at shooters, even in a crappy casual capacity. One the one hand I'm a bit bummed because I still think they're fun in a slot machine brain chemistry way, unlocking new stuff and shooting people, but losing over and over is kind of bringing me down.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
these are good and informative posts kite but all i can focus on is the amount of times roblox is said in them

roblox

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it “robot” + “blocks”?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I've reached a point in my life where I think I can no longer compete at shooters, even in a crappy casual capacity. One the one hand I'm a bit bummed because I still think they're fun in a slot machine brain chemistry way, unlocking new stuff and shooting people, but losing over and over is kind of bringing me down.

:same:

I think I hit this point with Destiny 2 last year, and got so frustrated while trying to gain ranks for a cool gun that I quit the game and haven't felt one tiny bit like going back since. I'm fine at the PvE side, but my total inability to keep up with the competitive side is a huge drag.

Weirdly I'm getting better at video games in general than I was when I was younger, but somehow I'm getting worse at competitive shooters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

as much as second life is a game. theres some really basic default mechanics and a lot of kinda questionable stuff people make in the sdk, just instead of running a bunch of sex dungeons for perverts its stuff kids obsess over. and some of it is actually made by kids instead of cynical adults so thats cool I guess

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Harrow posted:

:same:

I think I hit this point with Destiny 2 last year, and got so frustrated while trying to gain ranks for a cool gun that I quit the game and haven't felt one tiny bit like going back since. I'm fine at the PvE side, but my total inability to keep up with the competitive side is a huge drag.

Weirdly I'm getting better at video games in general than I was when I was younger, but somehow I'm getting worse at competitive shooters.

yeah i just ignore pvp entirely in D2.

maybe once we all age enough they'll finally remove the headshot as a 'default' fps feature and the genre can improve

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Violen posted:

these are good and informative posts kite but all i can focus on is the amount of times roblox is said in them

roblox

That's Robert Lox to you, pal

Jay Rust posted:

Are your kids getting involved in “Roblox”?

There’s a new “craze” on the Internet. It’s called “Roblox”, and it’s taken many schoolyards by storm.

“I just love ‘Roblox’”, says Timothy, 9, of Middleton Elementary. “It’s so rad.”

But what is “Roblox”? Experts call it, “[a] bad blockland/second life/garry's mod targeted at kids”, and it might be children’s first step towards the hornier side of the Internet.

it is actually the children's first step towards gambling depending on which game you're playing. The one that KCB works at is pretty nasty with it because they make a lot of money off of pets and so you buy eggs with robux that have a chance of hatching into various different animals and then you can upgrade those animals to rarer neon versions by getting more of them and combining them together and we both agree that it is super gross but she doesn't have any control over the game, she just answers the emails from the parents who are mad that their kids fell for confidence tricks, hacks, and scams. A big problem they're dealing with right now is that other people can make their own roblox game servers and list them as being the "official" game server and accept roblox money from players and then nothing can be done. The actual game devs don't get any of that money, the kid who spent the money doesn't get their item, the parents can't convince the devs to give free items to everybody who keeps falling for the fake scam games, the creators of the fake scam games get their money, and the main roblox people just shrug it off as something that they aren't too invested in stopping right now since anybody buying robux is giving money to roblox.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
lmao that's loving horrible

back in my day we just had doom and then people made decades of high quality add on content for free

kids these days being taken advantage of by massive corporations smh

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm taking next week off because i keep hating my job more and more every single day

And just in time for cyberpunk :getin:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
important update: everything is okay the mail was just slow

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's funny is when KCB uncovers yet another black market pet trading network that generally involves someone who committed some kind crime to obtain a ton of things they shouldn't have and then try to get money through out-of-game sales.

Funnier still when said people are trying to earn their profits in bitcoin.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Erfsom posted:

I must have done something wrong when I played Kiwami, because I encountered majima maybe two times

I think apart from the first couple of majima types, you need to unlock them by going to specific locations and doing certain things (meeting and beating up majima). Each majima type will now appear on the map, and adds more majima possibility. So if you don't fight him much on purpose at the start or avoid certain locations like the disco club, you don't unlock enough of him to make your life a pain.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

LionArcher posted:

I hope it lives up to the hype :nexus::ohdear::nexus:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

LionArcher posted:

is that some other name for the ffxiv 5.4 patch that i was unaware of

i actually have completely forgotten when cyberpunk is releasing now. i thought it was near the end of the month?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

LionArcher posted:

In terms of impact to the industry narratively (this game is as good or better than most movies) is stronger than than Dark Souls (games can be good and hard again, if you’re a real gamer you’ll like this). I’d say TLOU impacted more than dark souls in that regard.

I didn’t put BOTW in because while it is 10/10 game (and personally I’d argue it is better than everything I’ve listed up to this point) it is more the perfection (and there is room for improvement) of a type of game and set a golden standard, versus something that flipped the industry on the head or game changed in that sense going forward.

I think BOTW is too new for us to be seeing its influence, but I also think it's starting to trickle in (Genshin and Immortals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish kids got wholesome gambling experiences like Neopets which taught me more how the economy functioned than any high school class.