Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

There are a lot of "bullshit" ways to win in Duels, but I gotta say that the growing Demon/Discard (with or without felosophy) is incredibly unfair. And I'm saying that as someone who is currently 8-0 with a warlock deck. If you throw c'thun into the deck and focus on control bundles the whole run, you really just have to keep going until your opponent runs out of gas can you hit them with 30 from c'thun or a 20+ atk demon with lifesteal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Yestermoment posted:

There are a lot of "bullshit" ways to win in Duels, but I gotta say that the growing Demon/Discard (with or without felosophy) is incredibly unfair. And I'm saying that as someone who is currently 8-0 with a warlock deck. If you throw c'thun into the deck and focus on control bundles the whole run, you really just have to keep going until your opponent runs out of gas can you hit them with 30 from c'thun or a 20+ atk demon with lifesteal.

New c’thun should be banned from duels. It’s just unfun to see so many decks with it because it both extends fatigue for the early matches, clears boards, and provides a win condition. I just roll my eyes every time I see the cards get shuffled in at the beginning of the game.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

who are the “KFC crowd”?

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
So apparently if you have Mirror Image up and your opponent plays Deathwing Mad Aspect and it dies from the attacks your secret won't proc. Wasn't expecting that.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

fanny packrat posted:

So apparently if you have Mirror Image up and your opponent plays Deathwing Mad Aspect and it dies from the attacks your secret won't proc. Wasn't expecting that.

Would you want a minion with 0 or less health

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Color Printer posted:

Would you want a minion with 0 or less health

I didn't know the mechanics of it. I knew that it would summon a copy and not trigger the battlecry, but I didn't know if it summoned a copy as it existed before the battlecry or after. Turns out it's after.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

fanny packrat posted:

I didn't know the mechanics of it. I knew that it would summon a copy and not trigger the battlecry, but I didn't know if it summoned a copy as it existed before the battlecry or after. Turns out it's after.

Sorry, that's what I meant to say, I was being a little snippy lmao

I believe if it said "when your opponent plays a minion" rather than "after your opponent plays a minion" it would have copied before the battlecry. I think that's how that works

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the funny thing is that even if the new system gives the same or slightly more rewards it is still awful considering the old system was also bad

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Sloppy posted:

It's pretty mild compared to most garbage mobile games, I wonder if Blizzard has made a conscious decision to chase that crowd and blow off PC gamers / CCG enthusiasts in favor of the KFC crowd. This is just step 1, step 2 will be incessant ads and monthly subscriptions.

Sure, but saying you’re pretty mild compared to an industry a single rung above Nigerian 419 scams isn’t exactly a claim to fame, either.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

who are the “KFC crowd”?

seconding this question

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Landed the full golden Macaw/Goldrinn/Baron combo in BG. +90/+90. Feels good.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Less time to earn xp, but you'd also be earning less gold in the old system if it's a shorter turn around between expansions. Since they updated the later rewaards to be gold, you'll still likely end up ahead because of the played xp, unless you were a serious grinder.

Also more good news for those without quests: https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/7798-19-0-2-duels-weekly-quests-miscellaneous-bugs

I still haven't received any quests on my Asian login. No compensation either.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

a fatguy baldspot posted:

who are the “KFC crowd”?
Fast food. Dedicated players vs hooking in quick bucks from new players using ethically questionable sales tactics.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Elysium posted:

New c’thun should be banned from duels. It’s just unfun to see so many decks with it because it both extends fatigue for the early matches, clears boards, and provides a win condition. I just roll my eyes every time I see the cards get shuffled in at the beginning of the game.

Eh, New C'thun isn't necessarily awful. It's the 20/20 rush/lifesteal demon that enables any warlock to drag the game out to that stage. At least it's a card that's useful somewhere now!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Opponent played Solar Eclipse into Solar Eclipse into Savage Roar. Playing the Eclipse twice is obviously a mistake, but the Roar only triggered once, costing him the game. Is this a bug, or some convoluted working-as-intended chain that I'm not seeing?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

peer posted:

Opponent played Solar Eclipse into Solar Eclipse into Savage Roar. Playing the Eclipse twice is obviously a mistake, but the Roar only triggered once, costing him the game. Is this a bug, or some convoluted working-as-intended chain that I'm not seeing?
Maybe the second Solar Eclipse being doubled by the first Solar Eclipse used up the effect on the double cast. It doesn't exactly make sense logically but may point to the way the second cast is handled.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

peer posted:

I tried this in a casual game early and had the same thing happen to me. It does seem like the second one should trigger "twice" meaning your next spell will trigger twice. Not sure if that was intended.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Feels like it can't be right. Even if the second Solar Eclipse triggers itself when casting twice, the next spell should always cast twice right? If it was the last spell played, no matter the chain of events, the next spell should still trigger twice. Got to be a bug you would think.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Update on the new player experience from my alt account: I've played a hundred or so games, approximately 90-95 of those has been against Demon Hunters. I'm about halfway out of the "Apprentice Ranks" :suicide:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Boatswain posted:

Update on the new player experience from my alt account: I've played a hundred or so games, approximately 90-95 of those has been against Demon Hunters. I'm about halfway out of the "Apprentice Ranks" :suicide:

Pretty sure this is why my gf quit back in Ashes of Outland.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
got a C'Thunlock to play into Counterspell so that's my day made

and my level 25 Legendary was the new ETC so I guess I'm making OTK Warrior now, anyone got a decklist?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Boatswain posted:

Is this because they give out the DH basic set for free or something?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

GTO posted:

Is this because they give out the DH basic set for free or something?

Definitely is. The basic DH set is so much better than all the others and you don't have to grind levels to get all the cards, just complete the 1st chapter of the single player campaign.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Hasn't almost every single card from that starter set been nerfed by now lol.
What the gently caress where they thinking, like you can't even call it a cash grab because those cards were free. It's just straight up terrible game design.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Hasn't almost every single card from that starter set been nerfed by now lol.
What the gently caress where they thinking, like you can't even call it a cash grab because those cards were free. It's just straight up terrible game design.

The sensible thing would be to have more than one competitive archetype readily available to new non-whale players.

The Blizz thing will be to make it zero.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I have 140 gold. I'm about 1000xp away from the next level, which is a pack, so that means I'm 5000 xp away from the next level that awards me gold. I have no quests active.

So to get the 10 gold I need to enter a Duel, I'll see you guys in like... a week, I guess?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Elysium posted:

I have 140 gold. I'm about 1000xp away from the next level, which is a pack, so that means I'm 5000 xp away from the next level that awards me gold. I have no quests active.

So to get the 10 gold I need to enter a Duel, I'll see you guys in like... a week, I guess?

Have fun! 😅 We'll miss you while you’re in Hell.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

got a C'Thunlock to play into Counterspell so that's my day made

and my level 25 Legendary was the new ETC so I guess I'm making OTK Warrior now, anyone got a decklist?

### etc otk
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Animated Broomstick
# 1x (1) Pen Flinger
# 2x (1) Risky Skipper
# 2x (1) Shield Slam
# 2x (2) Armorsmith
# 2x (2) Battle Rage
# 1x (2) E.T.C., God of Metal
# 1x (3) Ancharrr
# 2x (3) Bladestorm
# 2x (3) Bloodsworn Mercenary
# 1x (3) Bulwark of Azzinoth
# 2x (3) EVIL Quartermaster
# 1x (3) Lord Barov
# 2x (3) Shield Block
# 2x (4) Sword Eater
# 2x (5) Brawl
# 1x (5) Cutting Class
# 1x (7) Galakrond, the Unbreakable
# 1x (9) Rattlegore
#
AAECAQcI3q0DxcAD+cIDn80Dk9ADq9QD99QDzt4DC0uQA6IE1AT/B9ypA9mtA6S2A7i5A5XNA7XeAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I haven't played battlegrounds since the battle pass came out, what're the good tribes right now? Elementals and pirates seem strong.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Boatswain posted:

Blizzard has garnered absolutely no good will in the last 3 weeks, however, making the Demon Hunter Initiate deck strong and playable right out the gate was a good thing. The solution should be to just make the other Class core sets just as good!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh poo poo I have quests now!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Toebone posted:

I haven't played battlegrounds since the battle pass came out, what're the good tribes right now? Elementals and pirates seem strong.

Early Eles/Pirates are bad. A Turn 7 at the latest Nomi can make eles work. The only playable pirate build is when you have Salty + Hoggars, or put together a late Scallywag + Eliza comp.

Murlocs are bad. Menagerie is consistent. Mechs are meh. Beasts can win. Demons can be MMR positive. Dragons are a top comp, but you gotta hit a few highrolls to not die putting it together.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also they gave me a gently caress ton of XP? I went from 8 to 27 just now. No idea how much XP that actually was or if it sounds about right for the lack of any quests since they rolled this out.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also they gave me a gently caress ton of XP? I went from 8 to 27 just now. No idea how much XP that actually was or if it sounds about right for the lack of any quests since they rolled this out.

That could be about right for missed quests.

I'm at 29 having completed all my dailies, but that includes journal XP from a few achievements.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

....so Brawls don't count for daily deaw/play card spells? the gently caress?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Supposedly that's a bug. I haven't seen that anywhere except in an early post from someone from Blizzard on Twitter somewhere though

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nope it's loving dumb!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah they rolled out a hotfix and gave people exp if they missed quests/played a bunch of duels

quote:

Hey everyone,
We’re currently deploying a hotfix that includes the following:
Fixed an issue that caused certain players to have an entirely blank Quest Log, and never receive Daily or Weekly quests. Impacted players will be compensated for missed XP in the near future.
Fixed a bug where Heroic Duels matches were not granting XP. Impacted players will have missing XP granted in the near future.
Fixed a bug where Heroic Duels runs were failing to start. Impacted players will have missing Gold refunded in the near future.
Fixed a bug where Nazmani Bloodweaver would incorrectly target cards that already cost 0.
Fixed a bug where 17 Madness at the Darkmoon Faire cards were not draftable in Arena.
Fixed a bug where new players were not receiving the Silas Darkmoon Legendary.
Fixed a bug where rewards were not being granted for completing Chapter 5 in Tombs of Terror.
Fixed a bug where Whizbang the Wonderful was not using new deck recipes.
This hotfix will take place on the server side, so you will not need to download anything if you’ve already updated to patch 19.0.

quote:

Yesterday we deployed fixes for quests and XP related issues. Today we’ll be rolling out compensation to affected players for the following:
Those affected by Heroic Duels not granting XP will be granted 50 XP per game of Heroic Duels played since the 19.0 update.
Those who were prevented from receiving new quests due to an issue with the Returning Player quest line will be granted cumulative XP for all quests missed since the 19.0 update.
You don’t need to do anything to receive this compensation, it will show up automatically in-game.

Yogg also now just skips the animation for the 0 cost spells result since that was crashing games. So if you see the wheel you know you’re not getting that one.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I feel like Soulshard Lapidary is the pain point for Demon Hunter. It's easy to activate and is brutal with one or more of Aldachi Warblades, Blade Dance or Bladed Lady, while putting a 5/5 down to pair with Kayn the next turn. Those other 3 wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a single card to activate them that leaves a 5/5 body behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
remember to select your champion for free tourney packs