Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If that type of informal network worked with the efficiency implied by this episode, then losing subspace coms wouldn't be an issue.

It's like postal mail vs. instant messaging. They both get the job done in the end, but one is a lot slower and there's less certainty that your message made it to the recipient.

quote:

I'm honestly confused as to why Book was called back originally, was it to fight the plague or to fight the Orion lady? If it's the former why was Orion lady involved if it was the then there's a weird continuity issue since Orion lady was clued in to her interest in Book after Book got the message.

Osyraa was after Ryn, who she already knew had escaped with Book (she told her nephew that before killing him). I think she withheld the repellant from Book's brother to strong-arm him into luring Book home. Her plan seemed to be to make Book tell her where Ryn was, but then Ryn ended up being present anyway so her plans changed to capturing him. It did feel unnecessarily convoluted though.

quote:

Except in this case they just stumbled upon the exhaust port by luck and Death Star was effective against the X-wing (almost knocking down out it's shields until Detmer decided to use the ForceVR paddles. it's pretty lol to imagine that a computer hundreds of years more sophisticated than TNG's couldn't handle a meat sack attempting to wing it.

Rin knew the ship's weaknesses. That's why he accompanied Detmer.

quote:

No I meant the scene where a person's boss and his husband were really paternal and inappropriate with a subordinate.

Oh come on, showing empathy and fondness for a young person who's more-or-less been placed in your care is hardly inappropriate. And it's not out of nowhere, Stamets and Adira have been bonding since the character was first introduced. That relationship is now taking a more familial form, which feels completely natural to me. It happens a lot in queer communities (found family, being protective and supportive of younger queer folk, etc).

The dialogue was clumsy, but that aside I enjoyed the scene.

jassa fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

God drat that twitter and that guy. Nevermind how he sells Ryn as believable, damaged but good faith-ed and hopeful character, he's the embodiment of a trekkie's dream.
Best of luck to him and his family (Tilly, most suddenly!)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Frakes as "The Greatest American Actor" is some late-stage TNG poisoning

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of Ryn, I would have liked it a lot more if Osyraa was only after him because he was the first person to speak out against her and to escape. We've already seen she's vengeful this episode so it would have fit better. Then he can casually bring up the fact they are running out of dilithium.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought that was weird, I can see it being a secret from the average person under the thumb of the emerald chain or one of its actual slaves but there'd be too many people involved for only two people in the galaxy to know it. How connected was Ryn? For all he knows, he is the only one who knows, but perhaps he's just the big-knower of this one arbitrary camp he was in.

This episode was fine, I got my expectations up from the initial melodramatic reactions I saw here. The Star Wars space battle was a little silly but at least it was for a character moment. Kind of seems like they should've just blew the thing up entirely. Seems inevitable that attacking would mean war, might as well take out their evil leader while you can. Saru seems like he's in for big trouble, he basically did exactly what Michael would be going behind his back to do if he didn't.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Khanstant posted:

I thought that was weird, I can see it being a secret from the average person under the thumb of the emerald chain or one of its actual slaves but there'd be too many people involved for only two people in the galaxy to know it. How connected was Ryn? For all he knows, he is the only one who knows, but perhaps he's just the big-knower of this one arbitrary camp he was in.

I forget what we learned about Ryn when he was first introduced, but it seems like he was a member of Osyraa's inner circle. Perhaps he's another mutineer first officer!

On another note entirely, it feels odd we haven't had any Sphere AI weirdness since it suggested movie night to Saru a few episodes back. I expected that to be a slow burn throughout this season but with only 5 episodes remaining perhaps they're leaving that plot thread for next season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With Frakes directing I wonder if the manual control moment was a bit of an Insurrection joke.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Senor Tron posted:

With Frakes directing I wonder if the manual control moment was a bit of an Insurrection joke.

Oh it had to be, I thought the exact same thing. Even Frakes admits how hokey it was the first time.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i think i take back a lot of my criticism of eaves

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crusader posted:

Eaves gets poo poo on quite a bit, but if you actually read the interviews he does and the way he explains his designs and the circumstances surrounding them (usually a lot of executive bullshit and time crunch, like above), he actually makes a lot of sense and seems like a pretty decent dude.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jassa posted:

I forget what we learned about Ryn when he was first introduced, but it seems like he was a member of Osyraa's inner circle. Perhaps he's another mutineer first officer!

On another note entirely, it feels odd we haven't had any Sphere AI weirdness since it suggested movie night to Saru a few episodes back. I expected that to be a slow burn throughout this season but with only 5 episodes remaining perhaps they're leaving that plot thread for next season.

I thought he was a popular guy that led the rebellion the first time so they made him an overseer to make everyone else hate him?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Crusader posted:

Fuller’s description of his early story plans makes total sense with how Discovery was presented as this Philadelphia Experiment-esque ship of secrets initially.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always liked that one with the downward wing bits, XB-70 vibes.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This show is so overwrought.

This is a great quote from the Elliot Page thread:

quote:

A thing that used to be great about trek was that it was primarily a workplace. If you were a shape-shifting blob or a host-linked parasite or a robot or a non-binary human, cool, but your primary identity was your rank and role. Personal identity was ultimately subsumed under a common goal. I think this is now not considered to be good (or at least not ‘woke’) so identity is given a bigger emotional weight in the modern shows, and the characters are made to be unrealistically insecure in those identities to play up the drama. I don’t like it, personally. It sure as hell doesn’t come across futuristic and it’s bleak to portray a future where people are STILL insecure about gender or uncomfortable about discussing it.

The Adira/pronouns and Agent Cronenberg are the interesting parts of the show. It feels like older Star Trek, exploring relationships, overcoming conflicts, and doing things. In previous ST iterations, characters did things and we learned about them along the way. In Modern Trek, we get a real time almost live social media like commentary inner dialog as the action/drama/situation happens.

Kovich is the most interesting character on the show. Why? Because the only things we know about him are what pushes or illuminates the plot. His lack of inner turmoil or insecurity is quite refreshing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chalks posted:

Yeah, I just mean it shouldn't be against the grain 1000 years in the future. poo poo it shouldn't be against the grain 20 years in the future.

Consider TOS, where an interracial kiss between two humans would be the absolute tiniest hill to die on for a utopian 23rd century full of aliens, but the first interracial kiss on television was also culturally important for the 1960s. Trek has always been both socially progressive and a product of its time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That episode felt like it needed to be two episodes with everything going on. I believe next week we begin a two-part episode.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I would guess that just because something is socially/culturally acceptable doesn't necessarily mean it's an easy thing to admit to others

IIRC the actor said in an interview that they came out to their family while filming this. Given that plus the character is a teenager I’d say it was handled well enough. Much better than the last time Frakes’ character was involved with a non-binary character!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

well why not posted:

Frakes as "The Greatest American Actor" is some late-stage TNG poisoning

Pound for pound

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Crusader posted:

Well I am mad again that the Fuller show didn't work out. Sounds like it made a lot more sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Well I am mad again that the Fuller show didn't work out. Sounds like it made a lot more sense.

It actually makes the early season make a bit more sense now, because for like an episode or two Discovery was portrayed as a high-security need-to-know mobile research facility with an inference of multiple projects with their own clearances. That all suddenly disappears and it's all about the Spore Drive and nothing else.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It actually makes the early season make a bit more sense now, because for like an episode or two Discovery was portrayed as a high-security need-to-know mobile research facility with an inference of multiple projects with their own clearances. That all suddenly disappears and it's all about the Spore Drive and nothing else.

USS Skunkworks would have been a fun concept to play with.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Wasn't Fuller's plan that Discovery would travel to another universe, but it was going to be one where the Battle of Binary Stars didn't happen? I guess in his take on the show it really was Michael's fault.

And Lorca really was just a captain damaged by his wartime experiences, rather than from another universe.

I wonder if that timeline's Captain Georgiou would have joined the crew.

While this plot point is clearly to justify Georgiou's departure to get her own spinoff, I like they at least didn't explicitly rule out someone from an alternate universe being able to stay in the prime timeline as long as it's the 'present'. Someone from the Mirror Universe getting brought to another and deciding 'hey I actually kinda like it here, nobody is trying to randomly stab me' is an interesting character concept.

I'm guessing the Kelvin Timeline guy in the early TNG uniform is wearing it because he was on assignment to that period in this universe hen he died, not because they adopted it in that timeline too.

Speaking of the Kelvin Timeline and uniforms, kind of wish we got to see the actual Kelvin-era uniforms/ones from the Franklin somehow. They're common to both timelines and look really cool!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

J33uk posted:

USS Skunkworks would have been a fun concept to play with.

Yeah, I'd see it as a mix of Star Trek and Eureka, where something out of one of the onboard labs (how many labs are there?... Enough for one per week :v:) is either the problem or solution of the week. Sometimes both.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I found LD pretty meh overall and the last 10 minutes of fanservice didn't really save it, but there was one episode with a really interesting concept that would make a great live-action spinoff: Have a medical ship focused on investigating and solving rare mysterious conditions created by transporter accidents and temporal anomalies. Sort of like House MD in space, starring a Beverly Crusher type.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Guys, Burnham didn't cry even once this episode. We've broken new ground.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody explain this Kelvin timeline link to me.

In the OG timeline, Romulus got dusted and Spock disappeared. Vulcan still exists and as far as anyone knows Spock's story ended there.

In the Kelvin timeline, Vulcan is gone and OG Spock was basically working towards saving the Vulcans that remained.

In Unification III, Vulcan still exists in an albeit renamed fashion. So how are people figuring Disco is in the Kelvin timeline?

Sidebar: Romulus is fine in the Kelvin timeline, so likely Spock Prime was just bopping around with his dogeared book of reunification techniques, looking for a way to break it to the Feddies that Romulans are basically Vulcans with the paranoia limiters taken off. Just a thought.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SpeakSlow posted:

So how are people figuring Disco is in the Kelvin timeline?

People have misheard a thing said in a preview clip from next week's episode, which explicitly makes it clear that it is not.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Pound for pound

S2 or S6 this means very different things.

Didn’t hate this episode. Book’s brother was not terrible, just ok for ST guest star. The sort of role that somehow is responsible for the entire planet and also tied to an existing character. It’s very TNG.

The romance is working well for me, they seem to really click in a way Tyler never did. It helps that Book is very charming. Hoping they can resist him being a secret baddie or getting turned into paste. Burnham solving the issue was to be expected but at least she wasn’t also fighting Osyraa. The show works best as an ensemble. Martin-Green is a good actor but the focus is just too tight on her as the lead.

I don’t care about the Georgiou arc, but more Culber is good, and it’s still fun to watch Yeoh do stuff. It rocks when you forget she fights like a demon and then the kicking starts up. It’s a real asset to a franchise that hasn’t always had ... great choreography.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

yeah, the preview clip is clear that the tng holo is the one from the jjverse

it’s manifesting differently, but you could draw a dotted line between space hitler’s illness and the madness that overtook the USS Defiant crew when they crossed over to the Mirror Universe’s past in Tholian Web

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Seemlar posted:

People have misheard a thing said in a preview clip from next week's episode, which explicitly makes it clear that it is not.

It’s also been a bit of wishful thinking for some people for a while now, as the whole “Discovery is actually part of the Jar-Jar Abrams timeline and that’s why the show isn’t REAL Star Trek!” bullshit was all over garbage clickbait sites during the first two seasons. That stuff also conveniently ignores the fact that when Discovery was first in concept and production they still weren’t even legally allowed to acknowledge the Kelvin movies because Paramount and CBS were separate entities, something that only changed in the last year.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Next episode preview stuff:

Personally, I hope anything to do with the Kelvin timeline stuff is just a one-off reference, since the whole idea turns me off whenever it's mentioned, and feels like the worst kind of fan service for people who are way too obsessed with maintaining their precious canon.

I'd much prefer it to be something that was just in the first movie, as a "this is why we don't have to meticulously follow everything that happened in TOS, now shut up about it nerds" and never mentioned again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh wow, this week's Disco was duuuumb.

Like wow.

Book's brother couldn't carry a scene to save his life. Couldn't tell you if it was the actor or the direction but hoo-boy, it's bad when a kid onscreen for two minutes is a better actor than the main guest star of the episode. I really don't know why anyone would hate the stuff with Adira and Stamets, it's literally the only good part of the episode. They have a great rapport and work really well bouncing of eachother and Culber. The show is rife with hamfisted writing, but the little scene about Adira's pronouns was really nice and respectful. They didn't go overboard with it, it's just Adira opening up to someone they can trust and carried really well by both actors.

That said, time to poke holes in the big parts of the episode. What should've been a cool space battle... wasn't. It's atrociously shot and all we see is cockpit and the rearview mirror for most of it, plus using Book's ship makes zero sense when it's clearly launching out of Discovery, and the aim somehow wasn't to just blow the ship out of the sky. The Emerald Chain isn't one for politics, they're not gonna care about the minutiae of which ship fired on them. This should've been Detmer coming back into her own as the Discovery's pilot, and give us a chance to see what the Discovery-A can actually do since its refit. Instead it's just another round of "look at how cool the Millennium Falcon Outrider Nameless Ship is, kids!"

I'm not even gonna bother with the whole "I need a catchphrase" thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like the implication that Tilly focus grouped some of the catchphrases.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Consider TOS, where an interracial kiss between two humans would be the absolute tiniest hill to die on for a utopian 23rd century full of aliens, but the first interracial kiss on television was also culturally important for the 1960s. Trek has always been both socially progressive and a product of its time.

People make a huge deal out of that kiss, and rightfully so because it was an incredible social taboo at the time that would get one or both parties killed in large stretches of the country. However, it wasn't Roddenberry's most socially progressive moment. That actually came in the season 1 episode "Court Martial" where Percy Rodrigues, a black man, plays Commodore Stone in a role of legitimate authority over Kirk and is presented as calm, rational, intelligent, and competent. All of that, and at no point in time does the episode draw any special attention to his race or position.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wheezle posted:

Guys, Burnham didn't cry even once this episode. We've broken new ground.

I know, I'm scared too. :ohdear:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought Tilly did a decent job as XO at least

Also when she talked about an officer going rogue, I assumed she was talking about herself

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I like the implication that Tilly focus grouped some of the catchphrases.

This is the only good part of the episode.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Captain installs timid ensign as First Officer just before defying orders to start a shooting war with a superior power. That's the position that, in a real military, would be shutting poo poo like this down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

G-III posted:

This is the only good part of the episode.

Nah, there were lots of good parts, even if the overall episode wasn’t as good as earlier ones this season.

That said, I thought I’d missed a scene when Culber said to Georgiou they needed to talk right away, but no, they just didn’t film it. Or did i blink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

re: next week's preview, as they're showing a refugee from a movie universe, how come there wasn't more lower decks crisis point-style movie poo poo flying around