Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Borsche69 posted:

The turkey is such a stupid thing, its probably one of the most impractical things to roast whole. You have multiple meats that all cook at different rates to different temps, non-uniform mass with a big cavity so that the heat penetrates different parts at different rates, a large mass so it takes more time for the heat to penetrate. Skin is even worse - its next to impossible to get skin to stay crisp even on a small bird like a quail, just because the meat underneath is going to steam. Resting, carving, serving are all going to ruin the crisp texture. Though it'll still taste great and I still like even a chewy skin - (yakitori plays on the concept well), it's ultimately not what a lot of people are shooting for.

Spatchcock gets close and turchetta probably gets the closest, but I've yet to see a method that matches cooking in parts.

All valid, but in my family as long as the meat is nice and juicy, all other issues don’t matter.

Years and years of my mom not cooking turkey at all, and my mother in law overcooking turkey to hell has made my turkeys the best things ever since I started taking over the bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

All valid, but in my family as long as the meat is nice and juicy, all other issues don’t matter.

Years and years of my mom not cooking turkey at all, and my mother in law overcooking turkey to hell has made my turkeys the best things ever since I started taking over the bird.

Totally fair, its just one of those things that sticks in my head. Not like cooking a turkey whole to a juicy doneness and a well seasoned flavor is particularly difficult, but it always felt like people are trying to cook with training weights on.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
had the smoker going yesterday, and had sides leftover from thanksgiving, so it was time to make ribs

ribs, baby:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Testing out the new pizza stone on the barbecue

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Eggs "benedict"

Beer sourdough instead of english muffin

Pancetta instead of lame-o canadian "bacon" ham

Smokey chile morita powder and obligatory grilled serrano with every meal

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Turned the Thanksgiving duck leftovers into a nice little pho-style soup.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 29, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ogarza posted:

Eggs "benedict"

that looks very good.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
bunch of profession chefs itt

crystalgemini
Nov 8, 2020
Quick and easy honey ham w/cloves for dinner tonight. Plus it goes with all the leftover Thanksgiving sides we need to get rid of.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gong Bao Ji Ding

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
leftover mashed potato waffles w/ buttermilk, blue cheese, kale, spinach and spring onions mixed in. didn't have stuff for hollandaise but that would've been even better

mystes
May 31, 2006

large hands posted:

leftover mashed potato waffles w/ buttermilk, blue cheese, kale, spinach and spring onions mixed in. didn't have stuff for hollandaise but that would've been even better

Wow that looks good.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mystes posted:

Wow that looks good.

I used to always fry leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast and the best part is the golden, crispy crust. waffling gives you like ten times more of that

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have some leftover cooked potatoes in the refrigerator so I might mash them and try this tomorrow.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

large hands posted:

This is the first year in a while where I didn’t get to make leftover Thanksgiving stuffing-waffle egg sandwiches :(

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mystes posted:

I have some leftover cooked potatoes in the refrigerator so I might mash them and try this tomorrow.

I used this serious eats recipe for ratios of flour/egg/buttermilk

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thanksgiving dinner with a capon instead of a turkey.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/11/toasted-white-sesame-tart-chocolate-ganache.html Our crust was a bit more ... rustic.

Leftovers made into a stuffing waffle, capon into a chicken salad, topped with gravy and cranberry.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 30, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Before

I was going to post an after but the photo won’t show up for some reason.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 30, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sweet potato soufflés. Somewhat underdone in this pic, so they went back in for a bit. Very tasty tho!

mystes
May 31, 2006

large hands posted:

I used this serious eats recipe for ratios of flour/egg/buttermilk
Thanks. It turned out a bit weird since the potatoes I used were left over from kenji's numbing potato recipe, but still pretty decent and I would do it again.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
a friend made a shitload of perogies and gave them out, and holy poo poo they were so good. served with sauteed onions, sour cream, applesauce, and a post-photo dusting of paprika

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkey chili mac made with most of the enormous amount of leftover turkey I had. Thanks Chef John! It is super delicious, filling, and was extremely easy.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Some pretty glass noodles, I used a ton of tumeric to give it a yellow look. Pretty good I think, I even used ceyanne, and barbeque sauce to give it a bite of sweet

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

ogarza posted:

Eggs "benedict"

beautiful

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Some pretty glass noodles, I used a ton of tumeric to give it a yellow look. Pretty good I think, I even used ceyanne, and barbeque sauce to give it a bite of sweet

Welcome back, Excellent Bird Guy.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
marinated pork fried rice!

argeto
Apr 30, 2004
Spammer
Chicken w/tomatoes and spinach in a cream sauce:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

kumba posted:

marinated pork fried rice!

Nice looking fried rice.

I feel like mine has been coming out mushy lately. Maybe because I’m cooking the rice too long initially? Before putting in the fridge and using it the next day in the fried rice?

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Not sure if legal, but I've concocted an oxtail/pozole hybrid now that the cold is here

https://i.imgur.com/GFNvQPA.mp4

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’ve only cooked with dry pozole from a recipe (never eaten it cooked by a Mexican), and it was really unpleasantly chewy. What did i do wrong, or is that normal?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

ogarza posted:

Not sure if legal, but I've concocted an oxtail/pozole hybrid now that the cold is here

https://i.imgur.com/GFNvQPA.mp4

That is absolutely beautiful, the red is so deep

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Nice looking fried rice.

I feel like mine has been coming out mushy lately. Maybe because I’m cooking the rice too long initially? Before putting in the fridge and using it the next day in the fried rice?

my first thought when you said mushy was that you're using freshly cooked (e.g. not put in the fridge overnight) rice but that next sentence threw that out the window :v:

not sure. does the rice taste okay after the initial cook just plain?

if, after frying, your rice is overly glossy and wet you might be using too much oil

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I’ve only cooked with dry pozole from a recipe (never eaten it cooked by a Mexican), and it was really unpleasantly chewy. What did i do wrong, or is that normal?

Hmm.. not sure, the texture of the corn should be more like chickpeas.

If you tried from dry corn a couple of things, 1st) the correct variety is cacahuazintle corn, 2) it needs to be cooked in an alkaline solution before making the soup to make hominy, then cleaned to remove the husk and optionally the little triangle thing at the bottom so it blooms (not sure what this is called), 3) it was maybe overcooked?

The easiest when someone doesn't have a day or two is to just rinse some canned white hominy, and then simmer it a bit with some mint in a pan, then drain and throw in the soup after the meat is tender, cuz sometimes ain't nobody got time to de husk 2lb of individual grains of corn

ogarza fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 3, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Sounds like I missed a few steps, I’ll use canned next time!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

kumba posted:

my first thought when you said mushy was that you're using freshly cooked (e.g. not put in the fridge overnight) rice but that next sentence threw that out the window :v:

not sure. does the rice taste okay after the initial cook just plain?

if, after frying, your rice is overly glossy and wet you might be using too much oil

I might be overcoming the rice initially. Trying again tonight.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Nice looking fried rice.

Hi there from your probably not local neighborhood upscale Chinese food restaurant prep chef!

Like you said, you may be cooking it too long, but I would also suggest taking it off the heat and leaving the lid on for about 10 minutes to allow the steam/moisture to even out more.

If you’re purposefully making the rice only for fried rice, drop your water by about 10% from normal. It’s actually totally okay if you have a spot at the top in the center that looks not fully hydrated after cooking.

You’ll also get a much better result if you dump the rice onto a lined tray and spread it out to dry. About an hour at room temp, then into the fridge lightly covered in plastic wrap. Once it is completely cold, it should break up really nicely and you can put it into a smaller container.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Hi there from your probably not local neighborhood upscale Chinese food restaurant prep chef!

Like you said, you may be cooking it too long, but I would also suggest taking it off the heat and leaving the lid on for about 10 minutes to allow the steam/moisture to even out more.

If you’re purposefully making the rice only for fried rice, drop your water by about 10% from normal. It’s actually totally okay if you have a spot at the top in the center that looks not fully hydrated after cooking.

You’ll also get a much better result if you dump the rice onto a lined tray and spread it out to dry. About an hour at room temp, then into the fridge lightly covered in plastic wrap. Once it is completely cold, it should break up really nicely and you can put it into a smaller container.

Using a little less water is a good idea. I’ll try that next time. And before I put the rice in the fridge I usually spread it out and let it cool off a bit. I made sure to rinse my rice this time as well. This all helped and it came out much better!

My wife has been asking to do a Spam and pineapple fried rice for a while, so that’s what I went with tonight.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Using a little less water is a good idea. I’ll try that next time. And before I put the rice in the fridge I usually spread it out and let it cool off a bit. I made sure to rinse my rice this time as well. This all helped and it came out much better!

My wife has been asking to do a Spam and pineapple fried rice for a while, so that’s what I went with tonight.

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo that looks fantastic.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kadhi with fried chickpeas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

NLJP posted:

Kadhi with fried chickpeas

is that serrano?